Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Red Mars

So it starts out with Chalmers assassinating Boone by proxy, and half the book is then a flashback that builds towards this. But then after the assassination, it changes nothing, the situation is still the same. All the poo poo with the rebellion/civil war and the space elevator doesn't come into play until much later. Chalmers just fucks around with the transnats & the UN and then he dies in an accident and nobody even knows he killed his "friend". What was the point of it all??? I suppose he was trying to maneuver himself into a position to rule mars or some poo poo, but it doesn't really come through

I guess it could be some sort of commentary that murder solves nothing, or maybe I'm just dumb????

pls explain it 2 me like i am a child.

I think it was mostly jealousy. With John out of the picture, Frank became the only suitable partner for Maya, or so he thought. And his political influence probably grew with the First Man on Mars out of the picture.

The trilogy is also very good. It's engaging and how society on Mars develops is fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
On the more fairy-tale-esque fantasy front, what do you think of Patricia McKillip's stuff? I've enjoyed some of her stand-alone books, her trilogy not so much.
Alphabet of Thorns is one of my favorite books overall. Tells the tale of a translator who gets her hands on a book written in a language of thorns. The book details the lives of the long dead Axis and Kane, a great conqueror and his sorcerer companion, and the translator becomes obsessed with finishing it to the alarm of her friends. This happens during the crowning celebration of a strange child queen, with the nobles sensing weakness and the old king's court desperate to hold the kingdom together and avoid civil war.

The whole book has this strange feel to it, both dreamlike and tense. And the magic just feels like magic.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'm 3/4 of my way through Justin Cronin's The Twelve. I like it. The pacing is a lot better than The Passage, while it retains all of the things that made The Passage good. It also adds more flavour to the vampires which gives them more character than just being zombie-analogues like they were for large parts of the first. I guess my only complaints are that in this one the world feels a lot less dangerous to simply exist in, and that the protagonist remains a bit bland, but they're pretty minor and the book overall is quite good.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Neurosis posted:

I'm 3/4 of my way through Justin Cronin's The Twelve. I like it. The pacing is a lot better than The Passage, while it retains all of the things that made The Passage good. It also adds more flavour to the vampires which gives them more character than just being zombie-analogues like they were for large parts of the first. I guess my only complaints are that in this one the world feels a lot less dangerous to simply exist in, and that the protagonist remains a bit bland, but they're pretty minor and the book overall is quite good.

Supposedly the third book is coming out later this year. Cronin says he's turned in the manuscript and now it's just a matter of how long the manuscript to published book dance takes.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

In anticipation of the forthcoming TV show, I just finished Pines by Blake Crouch.

It was far better than I was expecting, and I wasn't even expecting the full blown science fiction aspect of it.

It seems like the show is cast pretty well, and judging by the number of episodes listed on IMDB for some of the characters, they look to fill in a lot of the character stories that were glossed over in the novel. I expect that they'll probably start the show prior to the opening events of the book to fill in some blanks.

It's well worth the read. It has a bit of Twilight Zone, Twin Peaks, and Southern Reach, as well as some other intriguing concepts.

If M. Knight Shamalamadingdong doesn't gently caress it up, it could make for a good show.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Benjanun Sriduangkaew is in the newest Infinity anthology (Meeting Infinity), edited by Jonathan Strahan. I was going to buy it, but now...

How come, with what's now pretty widely known about her, she continues to have a career?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Benjanun Sriduangkaew is in the newest Infinity anthology (Meeting Infinity), edited by Jonathan Strahan. I was going to buy it, but now...

How come, with what's now pretty widely known about her, she continues to have a career?

That she's not a good person? Or an internet troll or whatever?

Who gives a poo poo aside from the tumblr crowd?? (or is this a different author?)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hedrigall posted:

Your definition of "widely known" is not the usual one. Most people don't read about authors. Most people don't even know Orson Scott Card has unfortunate opinions, let alone some writer with a few short stories and one novella under her belt.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Drifter posted:

That she's not a good person? Or an internet troll or whatever?

Who gives a poo poo aside from the tumblr crowd?? (or is this a different author?)

It's a matter of degree. She was pretty spectacularly nasty to a whole bunch of folks. Also, she tried to deliberately sabotage several other writers' careers with poison-pen letters, which is as good a reason as any for her own career to take a hit.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jedit posted:

Your definition of "widely known" is not the usual one. Most people don't read about authors. Most people don't even know Orson Scott Card has unfortunate opinions, let alone some writer with a few short stories and one novella under her belt.

Yes, but the scandal is an internal, writers-community one. The readers probably don't know, but Strahan surely does.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
She's a minority writer and it's good to have those for PR.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

She's a minority writer and it's good to have those for PR.

... even when driving out othe minority writers is basically a second job for her. :v:

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Guess I'm checking out for the next 5 pages.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

I was going to defend Strahan here but it's not like the book's been published, it's just the contents page - http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2015/03/table-of-contents-meeting-infinity-edited-by-jonathan-strahan/ sez it's due in December. I might believe that Sriduangkaew's story was bought just before the Requires Hate business broke, and it was too close to publication to change, but no way. This happened on tor.com in January and whoever posted it didn't even mention that the story was bought and paid for before they knew about Requires Hate.

Nice as it might be for Sriduangkaew's career to disappear, she'd probably just come back in a different disguise, so what's the point? At least the author bio might be amusing ("Benjanun Sriduangkaew is a Thai author and well-known blogger. Her stories often centre on themes of control, oppression and victimhood...").

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Megazver posted:

Yes, but the scandal is an internal, writers-community one. The readers probably don't know, but Strahan surely does.

In his capacity as editor I suspect Strahan cares mostly about what people will read.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, she tried to deliberately sabotage several other writers' careers with poison-pen letters, which is as good a reason as any for her own career to take a hit.

Is this part actually known? When I was paying attention it was still at the 'rumours are going around claiming that X' level.

Also, I expect Strahan and a lot of his colleagues (and authors) are opposed to blacklisting authors in general.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Peel posted:

Is this part actually known? When I was paying attention it was still at the 'rumours are going around claiming that X' level.

Also, I expect Strahan and a lot of his colleagues (and authors) are opposed to blacklisting authors in general.

It's mentioned (though not in detail) in the Mixon report, and Athena Andreadis has testified about the efforts of Sriduangkaew's clique to force her out of the sci-fi community.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Welp.

Assuming it's all true, of which publishers will have a better idea than us, I wouldn't blacklist someone from publication for it, but it's up to readers to decide whether they want to pay for those stories, like with Card or the Sad Puppies lot. Luckily I don't care for her writing (it's overcooked), so I'm spared the need to.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The young writers' workshop where I learned how to write is running a raffle through Tor.com. You can just comment on this post to win a copy of :siren:MY BOOK:siren: six months in advance. Just click the huge broken face

I'm not exactly sure how this raffle helps the workshop, but all you have to do is leave a comment on the post and you'll be entered. My book has been described as 'huh, that's cool man' by coffee shop waitstaff all around New York.

The workshop itself is a genuinely great cause, it brings teenagers age 14-19 out for two weeks to learn writing from the likes of Tamora Pierce, Ellen Kushner, Scott Westerfeld, Justine Larbalestier, the list goes on and on.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So I just finished City of Stairs, based on the glowing recommendations in this thread.
It was competently written with a good story but I was expecting something a little bit more innovative than playing on the normal fantasy tropes.
Regardless, it was a good read.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hey, I'm kind of getting back into Sci-Fi after reading Ready Player One and enjoying the easiness of the read. I'm in college so I do a lot of challenging reading and it was a nice change of pace. Anyway, what are the thoughts on the Oxford Time Travel series mentioned in the OP? It seems fun and has won awards. Where should one start?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Read Doomsday Book if you want something sad. Read To Say Nothing of the Dog if you want something funny. I'd definitely start with Doomsday Book.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

blue squares posted:

Hey, I'm kind of getting back into Sci-Fi after reading Ready Player One and enjoying the easiness of the read. I'm in college so I do a lot of challenging reading and it was a nice change of pace. Anyway, what are the thoughts on the Oxford Time Travel series mentioned in the OP? It seems fun and has won awards. Where should one start?

I really enjoy Connie Willis. But yeah, as said above, just read them in order. Bk1 is Doomsday, Bk2 is Say Nothing of the Dog.

I'd also recommend you give Vernor Vinge a try; an easy but fun read is Rainbows End. Really good with neat ideas. It's not true 'vernor vinge' like his amazing Zones of Thought series, but there you go.

Neal Asher is also pretty fun and easy to read. Check out his Spatterjay series or any others if they catch your fancy. he's much more action oriented than, say, Ian M. Banks - another great author, but a little more challenging read, with the fantastic Culture series.

I'm never really sure what it means when someone says 'difficult read', and I always feel like I end up giving out YA recommendations or something. That said, I loved loved loved Nick Harkaway's Gone-Away World, but think it might be not so easy a read as the other two main recs up above.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Kellanved posted:

On the more fairy-tale-esque fantasy front, what do you think of Patricia McKillip's stuff? I've enjoyed some of her stand-alone books, her trilogy not so much.
[...]
The whole book has this strange feel to it, both dreamlike and tense. And the magic just feels like magic.

I love McKillip for those very reasons. She has problems with endings petering out at times, but that's my only complaint. My favorites were The Bell at Sealey Head, Ombria in Shadow, Winter Rose and The Book of Atrix Wolfe, so if you haven't gotten to those yet I suggest them.

I also suggest looking into Catherynne Valente afterward.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Drifter posted:

I'd also recommend you give Vernor Vinge a try; an easy but fun read is Rainbows End. Really good with neat ideas. It's not true 'vernor vinge' like his amazing Zones of Thought series, but there you go.

This book was such an easy read that I'd hesitate to recommend it to anyone with a serious interest in literature. I like me some Vinge but Rainbow's End was so plainly written it felt like chewing through particle board.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

General Battuta posted:

This book was such an easy read that I'd hesitate to recommend it to anyone with a serious interest in literature. I like me some Vinge but Rainbow's End was so plainly written it felt like chewing through particle board.

Oh, my bad. Lit-rah-chooor.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I don't mean to be a colossal snob, I just really didn't get on with that book.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

I'm never really sure what it means when someone says 'difficult read', and I always feel like I end up giving out YA recommendations or something. That said, I loved loved loved Nick Harkaway's Gone-Away World, but think it might be not so easy a read as the other two main recs up above.

I liked Gone-Away World a lot, but you really had to stick with it through the first half to get the payoff. It was a difficult read in that regard though I enjoyed the author's prose and have Angelmaker lined up for later reading.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I loved Gone Away, though I hated the twist and everything that happened after that

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

blue squares posted:

I loved Gone Away, though I hated the twist and everything that happened after that

Why did you hate the plot reveal?

I thought it was a pretty cool extension of the world. I wasn't blown away or anything, but I did think 'yeah, okay, I can see that. nice.'

edit: Oh, and if anyone wants to read a cool mil-ish scifi book, Cook's The Dragon Never Sleeps is pretty fantastic.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 23, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Maybe not the reveal itself, more the ending action stuff I just hated. Not sure why.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

: Oh, and if anyone wants to read a cool mil-ish scifi book, Cook's The Dragon Never Sleeps is pretty fantastic.

Big fan of this too. Keep in mind, it throws you in the deep end, and explains things at its own pace. If you MUST HAVE EVERY LITTLE THING EXPLAINED NOW, you probably won't enjoy this book. It really excels at making you feel like there's a ton more in the universe going on than what's in the book though.

Really reminds me of Dune with the Houses and gholas whatever-Cook-calls-the-clones.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

thetechnoloser posted:

Big fan of this too. Keep in mind, it throws you in the deep end, and explains things at its own pace. If you MUST HAVE EVERY LITTLE THING EXPLAINED NOW, you probably won't enjoy this book. It really excels at making you feel like there's a ton more in the universe going on than what's in the book though.

Really reminds me of Dune with the Houses and gholas whatever-Cook-calls-the-clones.

I read and enjoy the gently caress out of a lot of books where the main criticism seems to be 'this book didn't exposit the gently caress out of itself for me right at the beginning' and many times I can't help but think "well, gently caress you reader, why don't you learn how to read better?"

I realize that's an unfair sentiment to take, but I do feel like world-building is the best when it's done through pieces and characters rather than three back-to-back chapters of being force-fed stuff.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

occamsnailfile posted:

I liked Gone-Away World a lot, but you really had to stick with it through the first half to get the payoff. It was a difficult read in that regard though I enjoyed the author's prose and have Angelmaker lined up for later reading.

The Gone Away World is really good. And yeah the payoff to that book is loving amazing.

Angelmaker had some similarly interesting (and frequently horrific) ideas but I liked the characters a lot less (except for the villain, he was good). Seriously, manic pixie lesbian grandma and manic pixie love interest and super boring protagonist. Ugh.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Peel posted:

Refusing to work with someone isn't blacklisting, just like bad stories aren't blacklisted.

Drifter posted:

Oh, my bad. Lit-rah-chooor.

New thread title please.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone here a fan of David Eddings?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Looking for some dystopian and/or post/apocalypse scifi. Been on a bit of a movie kick of that lately- from the Purge to the Running Man to Escape from New York, Equilibrium, so I'm looking for something more on the action side of the house. Recently read through the Darwin Elevator series, which is basically a summer popcorn flick in book form. Would like to avoid the weirdo, mary sue prepper, anti-government what-if fantasy wanking that I imagine makes up most this genre.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

I really enjoyed all of his Belgarath and Sparhawk series' when I was a teenager. More interesting characters that Jordan's Wheel of Time, at least.

I'd rank him a bit below Modesitt and Gordon Dickson. They're all fun for what they are, but they're very light and simple.

I'd recommend Modesitt over Goodkind and Terry Brooks, at least.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

He did a fairly fun, simple fantasy series, but I have to question whether it needed quite so many reprints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Drifter posted:

I'd recommend Modesitt over Goodkind and Terry Brooks, at least.

Modesitt has this weird thing going where I'm pretty sure that I'd willingly read a 500+ page book about some dude doing nothing but making barrels or or chairs or horseshoes, but I'd be completely unable to tell you why I bothered to do it at the end of it.