Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

He's not going to run. The parasitic tribble that cored out his skull is only interested in money and positive attention.

Is there a distinction between running and pretending to run at this point? Trump is still part of the show, even if he hasn't jumped through the hoops yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

sullat posted:

Is there a distinction between running and pretending to run at this point? Trump is still part of the show, even if he hasn't jumped through the hoops yet.

I'd say there's a big distinction between persons like Hillary or Jeb who are running in all but FEC filing and Trump who has zero intention of ever shaking the germ infested hands of any proles down in Iowa.

DynamicSloth fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 23, 2015

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

"No, I have not stopped beating my wife."
That's actually a legit good joke about gotcha questions though.

Like he should probably get more poo poo for "youth outreach."

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Cruz is announcing an hour away from me. Anyone have suggestions for signs for his appearance at an unaccredited "college"?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

De Nomolos posted:

Cruz is announcing an hour away from me. Anyone have suggestions for signs for his appearance at an unaccredited "college"?

Someone in the Freep thread suggested it, but do you have Canadian flags on hand to pass around?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

De Nomolos posted:

"Cruz for President, eh?"

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

De Nomolos posted:

Teabag that poo poo, hard.

That huge stockpile of plastic coffins that FEMA has been accumulating RIGHT UNDER OUR NOSES is a sure sign of the end times, and BTW Obama is a COMMONIST DICTATOR WHO MUST BE STOPPED! AUDIT THE FED!

Everybody else will be so you'll fit right in.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Captain_Maclaine posted:

"No, I have not stopped beating my wife."

"She hasn't said the safe word yet." Campaigning in the era of 50 Shades makes this no longer a gotcha question.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Unsatisfied in his current level of dickishness, Ted Cruz promises a big announcement at midnight on a Sunday.

Of course, if the announcement is that he's turned into a pumpkin, I will forgive him as the timing would be out of his control.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Unsatisfied in his current level of dickishness, Ted Cruz promises a big announcement at midnight on a Sunday.

Of course, if the announcement is that he's turned into a pumpkin, I will forgive him as the timing would be out of his control.

Could it be that Cruz's entire political career was just a viral marketing campaign by Disney for the Cinderela remake?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Joementum posted:

The news is that he and his wife have been practicing their kissing real hard and they're ready to move on to third base.

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/579804475084390401

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Tercio posted:

The news is that he and his wife have been practicing their kissing real hard and they're ready to move on to third base.

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/579804475084390401

Those jeans :gonk:

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Joementum posted:

Those jeans :gonk:

...send a message of strength, determination, and sex appeal to Putin.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Why isn't Liberty accredited anyway? They make a shitload of money and even tiny near-bankrupt schools manage to keep accreditation so what's stopping them?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cliff Racer posted:

Why isn't Liberty accredited anyway? They make a shitload of money and even tiny near-bankrupt schools manage to keep accreditation so what's stopping them?

It is accredited: http://www.sacscoc.org/details.asp?instid=43000

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

At a guess, probably some combination of discrimination and refusing to have curriculum that meets the board's standards in terms of not being rewritten to favor straight white Christianity.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

Being accredited has nothing to do with how much money you make, or else the big, for profit players would be sure that all the little colleges they buy up are accredited in very short order. Regional accreditation, which is really the one that you want if you want your reputation to be worth anything at all, is an extremely lengthy and complicated process. They are very probably playing fast and furious with credit hours or they have faculty work loads that are too high, or their curricula have not been developed in a process that involves outside approval, if I had to guess.

e:

Ah, okay. SACS isn't bad. They're a little more lenient than NEASC and WASC, but there is a minimum standard with regard to a few things that they're meeting if they've gone through the accrediting process.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 23, 2015

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Bob Jones isn't accredited. Liberty is.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Liberty is basically a cult university. Spending the night in the same room with a person of the opposite sex is grounds for expulsion. Also, students are not allowed to watch R-rated movies, even off campus.

Seriously it's a hosed up place

Holy gently caress, it's accredited? Jesus.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

VanSandman posted:

Bob Jones isn't accredited. Liberty is.

Technically, they are, but :lol:

Bob Jones University is a member of the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACS)/.

It is probably not a very good accrediting body.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Bicyclops posted:

Ah, okay. SACS isn't bad. They're a little more lenient than NEASC and WASC, but there is a minimum standard with regard to a few things that they're meeting if they've gone through the accrediting process.

Yup, it's the big regional accreditor, same one that make sure UVA isn't giving out phony diplomas, though LU also has Bar Association accreditation, ABET, etc.

Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not going to chuckle a bit at Jerry Falwell having SACS COC accreditation. :o:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

VanSandman posted:

Bob Jones isn't accredited.

Also for-profit since they refused to accept blacks and then miscegenation and lost their 501(c)(3) status.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Acceditors might be a little harsher in the next couple of years, actually, and after that stuff that happened at Tufts, Title IX is going to be the next big firestorm in higher education. I wouldn't be surprised if Liberty got hit there.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's a fun fact that I'd forgotten: Ted Cruz won't be the first modern candidate to have renounced dual citizenship in advance of a Presidential run.

Michele Bachmann gave up her Swiss citizenship in 2012, which she'd gained by marrying Marcus.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Liberty is basically a cult university. Spending the night in the same room with a person of the opposite sex is grounds for expulsion. Also, students are not allowed to watch R-rated movies, even off campus.

Seriously it's a hosed up place

Holy gently caress, it's accredited? Jesus.

:stonk:

I can't see that as any other way of going there by being forced by your parents to become good little Christians and do well there or they're abandoned cause who would willfully go there. I left my dorms on the weekends and they gave no poo poo at all.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I forget, how many instances of being caught with rock music at Liberty University is equal to the punishment for rape? Was it 2 or 3?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I understand why girls attend these ultraconservative evangelical schools (their dads send them there to preserve their blessed Virginity) but I have never understood why people send their sons there, considering that, in my experience, even the most conservative parents trend toward "heh heh boys will be boys" where their male progeny are concerned

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PupsOfWar posted:

I understand why girls attend these ultraconservative evangelical schools (their dads send them there to preserve their blessed Virginity) but I have never understood why people send their sons there, considering that, in my experience, even the most conservative parents trend toward "heh heh boys will be boys" where their male progeny are concerned

Because they're generally terrified of anything modern. Again, the place still bans "rock and roll" as if that's not granddad music in the year 2015.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It does make for a great announcement venue, since student attendance is mandatory.

Oh, and also, and I'm sure this is a total coincidence, tomorrow is the fifth anniversary of the signing of Obamacare.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The Real Paddy posted:

"MITT ROMNEY IS GOING TO FIGHT EVANDER HOLYFIELD"

http://m.fightland.vice.com/blog/mitt-romney-is-going-to-fight-evander-holyfield

Apparently it is for charity.

Always read the comments.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PupsOfWar posted:

There's a subset of people who legitimately believe all of the stuff these schools push and have children who agree with them. It's not all cynical folks.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

BMB5150 posted:

:stonk:

I can't see that as any other way of going there by being forced by your parents to become good little Christians and do well there or they're abandoned cause who would willfully go there. I left my dorms on the weekends and they gave no poo poo at all.

I had a friend in high school whose parents gave him an ultimatum our senior year. You either attend a christian college that we approve of or you will not receive any financial assistance from us after you graduate high school.

Yeah he could have told them to gently caress off and gone on his own, but not very many 17 year old kids have the gumption, much less the resources or know-how to pull that off. I know I certainly wouldn't have been able to do it. He ended up doing a year at The Master's College (even more socially restrictive and overbearing than Liberty) which pretty much put him in a depression, then transferred to the slightly more open-minded Biola College (roughly on par with Liberty).

I got to hear stories about life at these schools (awful, lovely, micro-managed to hell) while I was myself experiencing the more traditional liberal arts "college experience" of broadening horizons, finding new passions, and expanding my worldview through meeting a ton of diverse people.

It's pretty disheartening stuff, and his being forced to attend those schools didn't even accomplish the primary reason parents send their kids there in the first place. We both ended up falling out of Christianity by the time we graduated college.

How are u fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 23, 2015

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Wheeee posted:

Always read the comments.

Jesus, imagine if Holyfield went full on Raging Bull and had to be dragged off Romney. Im not saying I want it to happen of course but imagine it! Jesus.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Lots of Christians in the US keep their kids in a bubble where they only hang out with friends from church and only listen to Christian music and watch Christian friendly shows/movies/etc and these kids remain good upstanding Christians because they either don't know anything else or they face rejection from their entire social circle if they don't keep going along with it. College is where these kids get exposed to new friends and ideas and music and poo poo and gives them some freedom to reevaluate their religious upbringing.

What the people back home see is every year the kids from their church grow up, go to college, and turn their backs on God. Their interpretation is that the liberal professors and general hedonistic and sinful environment of college ruins good Christian kids. Sending kids to places like Liberty is all about keeping kids in that Christian Bubble through a lot of important formative years so they come out the other side as good Christian adults.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Lots of Christians in the US keep their kids in a bubble where they only hang out with friends from church and only listen to Christian music and watch Christian friendly shows/movies/etc and these kids remain good upstanding Christians because they either don't know anything else or they face rejection from their entire social circle if they don't keep going along with it. College is where these kids get exposed to new friends and ideas and music and poo poo and gives them some freedom to reevaluate their religious upbringing.

What the people back home see is every year the kids from their church grow up, go to college, and turn their backs on God. Their interpretation is that the liberal professors and general hedonistic and sinful environment of college ruins good Christian kids. Sending kids to places like Liberty is all about keeping kids in that Christian Bubble through a lot of important formative years so they come out the other side as good Christian adults.

Yeah, I mean keep in mind that even if only 5% of 18-24 year olds are these "hardcore Christians", that's still about 1.5 million people. America's a big place.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Yeah this is all very correct. My friend I mentioned above and myself attended a private christian high school and the school administration made it very clear that the aspiration for all graduates should be to attend one of, say, 15-20 good christian schools. They really emphasized that college was a dangerous time to be a young christian, and that if you truly cared about your personal walk with Christ (not to mention the approval of your entire community) you should be trying your hardest to get into a private Christian college.

That's why those places are so overbearing and strict, they don't think they can afford to relax even a little or else they'll start losing souls (and control...). They make Chapel attendance (usually between 1 to 4 chapel services a week) mandatory, and there are little scanners at all the entrances to the chapel building where you scan your student ID so they can keep track of how often you attend.

Fail to meet the minimums and you put yourself on the admin's poo poo list. My friend was pretty happy when he transferred to Biola because they allowed you to make up missed chapel sessions by listening to audio recordings of sermons on your own time, then writing a little essay about each one and submitting those. I remember him doing that over several summers, lovely boring work but at least he didn't have to attend 3 chapels a week in school.

e: I'm a pretty good example of what they fear will happen to their kids who go to secular schools. Throughout high school I considered myself a Christian and prayed and was concerned about my walk with Christ. When I went to college I plugged into a campus christian organization and attended worship events and such, joined a small group men's bible study as well. But by the end of my 2nd semester that first year I'd pretty much dropped all pretense of being a Christian. Saw too much of the rest of the world, studied some history, met a lot of diverse people. Dropped that poo poo like a back of bricks.

How are u fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 23, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary Clinton and Julian Castro will be headlining an event tomorrow at CAP titled Expanding Opportunity in America’s Urban Areas, sponsored by AFSCME.

If you're playing along with Democratic Party Bingo at home, you just won.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Joementum posted:

If you're playing along with Democratic Party Bingo at home, you just won.

:circlefap:

http://www.tedcruz.com/

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Got curious and http://tedcruz2016.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

How are u posted:

e: I'm a pretty good example of what they fear will happen to their kids who go to secular schools. Throughout high school I considered myself a Christian and prayed and was concerned about my walk with Christ. When I went to college I plugged into a campus christian organization and attended worship events and such, joined a small group men's bible study as well. But by the end of my 2nd semester that first year I'd pretty much dropped all pretense of being a Christian. Saw too much of the rest of the world, studied some history, met a lot of diverse people. Dropped that poo poo like a back of bricks.

It's very personal. I'm just the opposite: raised Christian, stopped believing in it growing up, going to public university changed that as I studied history, met people, and saw more of the world. It rekindled my faith, albeit it lead me to distance myself from the Southern Baptist churches I'd grown up in.

Personally, I think private religious colleges can be a good and positive thing for some people, but they're obviously not for everyone and they're often tied into the toxic fundamentalist Christian subculture.

• Locked thread