Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

_____! posted:

Clearly it was a 2D powerhouse, because, like, man, a square is a jive thing to be. Like the devs at Umatherm Software say to their polygons...
:v:

Obviously console games tend to have cheat codes, but does anyone have a favorite cheat or easter egg in arcade games? I was thinking of this while trying to use the rickshaw in Crazy Taxi. I don't know if I have a favorite one, but I've always been a fan of the "You just lost your sponsor" sign in Daytona USA. If you aren't privy to the easter egg, if you turn around and go in reverse on the intermediate course there is an alcove a little after the start line that has the sign.

Along similar lines when I was younger I remember finding "Rudy's Hideout" in Funhouse, which is located way in the back of the playfield and out of view (the giant dummy head and rails/holes/bumpers are in front of it). I went to the side of the machine to check if I could see it and I discovered there was art hidden back there that you can only see if you cram your head back there. It was a little road sign or something. Clearly Ed Boon got started hiding things in games long before Mortal Kombat.

OH! I saw the most drool-worthy magical thing at Funspot the other day. A walk-in closet that consisted of only raster crt arcade monitors. Full. (Let us not depress ourselves and ponder how many of them work.)

There's a Battlezone game hidden in NBA Jam but I don't remember how you access it.

Speaking of NBA Jam, recently it was discovered that Midway tested a special version of NBA Jam with tournament play. The network system was designed by the AMOA, powered by a 486 PC in the cabinet (which the game spoke to over RS-232) that connected to a mainframe in Chicago. It could submit scores, handle tournament leaderboards, allow network play, I guess they were trying to figure out the infrastructure for a nationwide tournament system, using swipe cards instead of coins to identify players. They were trying to do this in 1995, which is impressive. Incredible Technologies finally figured that out with Golden Tee a few years later. I know someone was trying to figure out how it all worked recently so they could emulate the system for an online leaderboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Speaking of NBA Jam, recently it was discovered that Midway tested a special version of NBA Jam with tournament play. The network system was designed by the AMOA, powered by a 486 PC in the cabinet (which the game spoke to over RS-232) that connected to a mainframe in Chicago. It could submit scores, handle tournament leaderboards, allow network play, I guess they were trying to figure out the infrastructure for a nationwide tournament system, using swipe cards instead of coins to identify players. They were trying to do this in 1995, which is impressive. Incredible Technologies finally figured that out with Golden Tee a few years later. I know someone was trying to figure out how it all worked recently so they could emulate the system for an online leaderboard.
There was also a network version of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 in testing back in the day that used the same infrastructure... but a different brand name for it, for some reason. NBA Jam used the name "NANI" for the network services while UMK3 called it "WaveNet".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16rca0e8qCk

Sadly, I don't think UMK3 Wavenet was ever dumped.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Kins posted:

There was also a network version of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 in testing back in the day that used the same infrastructure... but a different brand name for it, for some reason. NBA Jam used the name "NANI" for the network services while UMK3 called it "WaveNet".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16rca0e8qCk

Sadly, I don't think UMK3 Wavenet was ever dumped.

Nani was the company that ran the infrastructure. They probably went bankrupt and Midway just changed the name.

There was a cabinet in Midway's headquarters a few years ago, it's always possible it could surface. I don't think the PC hardware exists anywhere, but if someone wanted to reverse-engineer it, they'd just need to figure out how to communicate with the game directly with the serial connection.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

What up, fellas? I've had a Game Boy in a bag in my closet for several years now after loving up the lens by trying to superglue it back on. Today I was inspired to take it out and refurbish it. Here's a picture:

I took a soldering iron to it to fix the blank lines in the screen, so it displays perfectly now, but the LCD has some scratches and blemishes.

Now I'm waiting for my new lens to arrive, and if it falls off in the future I will use double-sided tape instead. I was considering using some acetone on the plastic behind the cover to get rid of the leftover superglue, but I'm worried it might damage the case or the screen. I could also mod in one of those backlights that are popular these days, and I need to crack open all my games and replace the dead save batteries. It's been fun.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

_____! posted:

Clearly it was a 2D powerhouse, because, like, man, a square is a jive thing to be. Like the devs at Umatherm Software say to their polygons...

That's a rectangle.

Squeegy posted:

I could also mod in one of those backlights that are popular these days, and I need to crack open all my games and replace the dead save batteries. It's been fun.

If you're going to do that you might consider the line-out mod if you've got a nice amp.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The_Frag_Man posted:

That's a rectangle.

No it's just a fat square.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

No it's just a fat square.
Don't sign your posts.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
So after hearing about the Pseudo Saturn softmod mentioned a few pages back, I decided to buy an Action Replay 4 in 1 and give a good excuse to finally play my Saturn I've been holding onto for a few years now (wife found it complete and near mint with Daytona, VF2, Virtua Cop and Tetris Plus 2 at a yard sale altogether for $3, best wife ever :3:). It requires you to do the swap trick at least once to get the install disc to boot up (unless you have a mod chip, which would be redundant) and you also sacrifice the AR and extra save space (which somebody is actually working on reimplementing the latter) but I feel it's totally worth it to explore this library.

So the question is, what should I play on this thing?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Pudding Huxtable posted:

So after hearing about the Pseudo Saturn softmod mentioned a few pages back, I decided to buy an Action Replay 4 in 1 and give a good excuse to finally play my Saturn I've been holding onto for a few years now (wife found it complete and near mint with Daytona, VF2, Virtua Cop and Tetris Plus 2 at a yard sale altogether for $3, best wife ever :3:). It requires you to do the swap trick at least once to get the install disc to boot up (unless you have a mod chip, which would be redundant) and you also sacrifice the AR and extra save space (which somebody is actually working on reimplementing the latter) but I feel it's totally worth it to explore this library.

Ghen War!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Made it back home (thank you, guys, for not robbing my place while I was away).

Gave Warioware: Smooth Moves a go in French. Translation is somewhat more thorough than I was expecting, actually, some of the minigames which have graphical text are re-done to be in French, and the "Faster" message and so on are also properly redone graphically (to say "Plus vite").

This game has somewhat of an interesting translation, given its Japanese origins. As a launch Wii game and basically a tech demo for all the crazy poo poo you could do with a Wiimote, the game gives a brief explanation of the position you have to hold the Wiimote in for the different minigames; some of them have you holding it sideways, or resting in the palm of your hand, or on the end of your nose. In the game's Japanese version, the music is reminiscent of a meditative samurai flick, while a very strange sounding voice (kind of like some learning Japanese is reciting it instead of a native speaker). All of the poses are named after extremely traditional Japanese ideas, with art similar to an ukio-e painting.

For the EFIGS versions, the music is more "zen meditation", the art is redone and the ideas expressed somewhat more common; for example the "Wiimote is your nose" pose is called Tengu in Japanese (after the ancient mask with the big nose) while the Western versions refer to it as "the elephant."

The Japanese version has a narrative voice read the names of the pose out loud before each position, but they removed that from the EFIGS versions. Also, aside from the tutorial sections with the weird narration, everything else audio-wise is straight English (even in Japanese because this is the Mario universe sort of and it's cheaper this way I guess), although I think Ashley's voice is different in Japanese and maybe one or two others? The EFIGS narration sounds kind of like a zen guru after taking the wrong drugs, at least in English and French.

univbee fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 23, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
What advantages are there to the Psudo-Saturn over that universal mod chip, besides not having to do a minor hardware mod?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The Kins posted:

Don't sign your posts.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

mikeycp posted:

What advantages are there to the Psudo-Saturn over that universal mod chip, besides not having to do a minor hardware mod?

Maybe if you have a Model 1 it makes sense, I'm not sure. Don't you lose some features on the AR when you do this thing?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

mikeycp posted:

Does the mod chip allow you to play imports? I thought you had to patch the discs or something.

Edit: The mod chip does not let you play imports, you have to patch the iso's then burn them. The action replay is the only way to play legit imports.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 23, 2015

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
For a long time my Trinitron was bugging me. It had a lot of minor imperfections (inputs with varying degrees of weirdness, geometry issues I couldn't fix in the service menu, etc.) that kinda piled up and made me want to replace it, but I only got it maybe a couple of years ago so I thought it would be dumb to. Unless I could find the very best one. And after a lot of on and off Craigslist searching, I finally found a local(-ish) KV-27FV310.

it looks and sounds soooooo gooooooooood

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 23, 2015

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

mikeycp posted:

I don't think there are any.

There's another guy on Assembler working on a card that plugs into the MPEG slot that would let you play games from external storage (forget whether that's SD or HDD). It's still at the drawing board right now though, poor bastard's working on his doctorate.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Pudding Huxtable posted:

The capcom fighters are great, twinkle star sprites, dungeons & dragons, sonic r, radiant silvergun, magic knight rayearth, nights, panzer dragon saga and shining force 3 to get you started.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

RodShaft posted:

Does the mod chip allow you to play imports? I thought you had to patch the discs or something.

Edit: The mod chip does not let you play imports, you have to patch the iso's then burn them. The action replay is the only way to play legit imports.

Isn't that just the regular AR though, not the modded one?

e:

azurite posted:

There's another guy on Assembler working on a card that plugs into the MPEG slot that would let you play games from external storage (forget whether that's SD or HDD). It's still at the drawing board right now though, poor bastard's working on his doctorate.

This however sounds very interesting. Hopefully something will come of it!

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

azurite posted:

That sounds really cool. I'd buy one for sure.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

azurite posted:

I don't think there are any.

When/if that comes out, I'll be getting a Saturn again.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

mikeycp posted:

Isn't that just the regular AR though, not the modded one?

The regular ar will allow you to play imports, not backups. The pseudo Saturn flashed ones will allow you to play backups, and I've read one account of imports as well. I'm not flashing mine since I only need to play imports not backups at the moment, and I have a mod chip for when I do, but I find all this poo poo fascinating.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Batsugun.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The_Frag_Man posted:

If you're going to do that you might consider the line-out mod if you've got a nice amp.
I don't, but I don't make chiptunes so I don't think sound mods are important, are they?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Honestly unless you have a Saturn that the chip won't work on the Universal modchip is piss-easy and works with all Saturns AFAIK
http://www.segastyle.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=76

1 wire to solder on to a pin that's bigger than yo dick, plug it in and forget about it. Add in a non-hacked Action Replay and you can play imports as well as burned imports without patching.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Discount Viscount posted:

Haha, that sign is great.

I like this one from Primal Rage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVXLL2ZJMPM

This is the kind of thing I was thinking of! The kind of things that wouldn't seem out of place as a hidden extra in a console game but is strange in an arcade game in that it doesn't do anything to actively eat your tokens. I never really played Primal Rage but I've always known it was full of interesting easter eggs. I hadn't seen this one before and that rules.

Luigi Thirty posted:

There's a Battlezone game hidden in NBA Jam but I don't remember how you access it.

I've tried to get it to work before but I don't think it is in versions other than the earliest ones. Sort of like the Mortal Kombat characters that I think are only in the certain versions. Again though it is a game I've never spent a lot of time with, so that may be incorrect.

I just looked it up and this is how you do it:
"Secret Tank Game Hold the joystick in the Down position and hold each button on both sides of the machine." From gamefaqs.

The_Frag_Man posted:

That's a rectangle.

Mia Wallace doesn't change her TV to the right aspect ratio.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

_____! posted:

I just looked it up and this is how you do it:
"Secret Tank Game Hold the joystick in the Down position and hold each button on both sides of the machine." From gamefaqs.

You have to cycle the power on the machine as well. I wanted to do it at my local arcade, but the plug was inaccessible.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

_____! posted:

This is the kind of thing I was thinking of! The kind of things that wouldn't seem out of place as a hidden extra in a console game but is strange in an arcade game in that it doesn't do anything to actively eat your tokens. I never really played Primal Rage but I've always known it was full of interesting easter eggs. I hadn't seen this one before and that rules.

Midway/Atari Games of course were the kings of Easter eggs, which made owning an N64 less dull than it might otherwise have been thanks to all the ports they did for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TESz-OtCsE4

This hidden area also exists in the arcade version, or at least the port of it on Midway Arcade Treasures 3, but I'm not sure if there's any way to really have enough time to mess around in it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDQw8WKMErM

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 23, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Discount Viscount posted:

This hidden area also exists in the arcade version, or at least the port of it on Midway Arcade Treasures 3, but I'm not sure if there's any way to really have enough time to mess around in it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDQw8WKMErM

The first Rush had all kinds of hidden poo poo everywhere. The skate halfpipe in track 2, the weird sky-texture room on track 3, and just all sorts of places you could go that were not obvious to find but also served no real purpose at all besides being able to say 'Hey look what I found!' when you and your friend were playing together, exploring around.

And then the second Rush kicked the whole exploration thing up to 11, plus gave us that awesome stunt track (better than any of the stunt tracks in 2049, even!). Man, Midway kicked rear end back then, their downward spiral is so sad.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Cubey posted:

The first Rush had all kinds of hidden poo poo everywhere. The skate halfpipe in track 2, the weird sky-texture room on track 3, and just all sorts of places you could go that were not obvious to find but also served no real purpose at all besides being able to say 'Hey look what I found!' when you and your friend were playing together, exploring around.

Yeah. A lot of those were in the arcade version, too, and part of the reason they added keys to the N64 port was to give them a bigger purpose and a reason to explore.

SF Rush is the first game I rented when we finally got an N64 and my siblings and I enjoyed the hell out of it. It's also the first time I saw the motion sickness warning next to the epilepsy one in the manual, which made me go "Whoa, really? No way," and then we turned the game on first-person view and all doubts were erased. Didn't actually get motion sickness but it was quite a trip watching the 3D world lurch around after doing a crazy flip.

I think Nintendo Power printed new codes every month for a year for that drat game, too.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Cubey posted:

And then the second Rush kicked the whole exploration thing up to 11, plus gave us that awesome stunt track (better than any of the stunt tracks in 2049, even!). Man, Midway kicked rear end back then, their downward spiral is so sad.

I don't know if I'd quite say that (especially for mulitplayer stunt in 2049) but holy hell my friends and I spent so much time on that stunt track in Rush 2. One of the best things Midway ever did.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

ReverendHammer posted:

I don't know if I'd quite say that (especially for mulitplayer stunt in 2049) but holy hell my friends and I spent so much time on that stunt track in Rush 2. One of the best things Midway ever did.

that track is probably one of my favorite n64 memories

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
The guy who made the Dreamcast drive emulator already has a working Saturn version https://gdemu.wordpress.com/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I want to say this one's a little more known because it got a Japanese Virtual Console release and it was developed by Sting, but if you're a PC Engine fan check out Psycho Chaser (yet another game that is a synonym for Mad Stalker :D ).

Also, speaking of synonyms, folks that like Japanese games, how many games are there where the literal English translation could correctly be "lighting fighters" or just "RAGE?" There's Ikari Warriors, Konami's Lightning Fighters (this game is even a clone of Raiden from Konami), Raiden/Raiden Fighters, Thunder Cross, Thunder Force? Thunder and lightning were to shmups what Dark and Dead are to action horror games here.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

the wizards beard posted:

The guy who made the Dreamcast drive emulator already has a working Saturn version https://gdemu.wordpress.com/

Funny/ironic part is it will only work on model 1 Saturns

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Uh, why does that guy have no more Dreamcast SD card drive thingies? I have a Dreamcast lying around with a dead laser which would be perfect for this.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

the wizards beard posted:

https://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?52419-Saturn-CD-Block-ROM-dumped

This solution should ultimately be modless and universal if he finishes it. I have a modded model 2 with a working drive, and CD-Rs work just fine. So I can hold out until these boards become more common.

EDIT:

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, why does that guy have no more Dreamcast SD card drive thingies? I have a Dreamcast lying around with a dead laser which would be perfect for this.

I think he's just been making small batches at a time. They sell out really quickly. I haven't tried to order any because his posts are always dripping with attitude. God forbid I run into a legit problem.

I realize the DC has a terrible laser which is famous for burning out, but I found this while repairing my PC Engine (which didn't have a dead laser, btw):
http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/TRANSPORT/laser/Laserology.html
I wonder how many "dead lasers" have just had too much dust pulled into them? The Dreamcast does have a fan which pulls air right under the drive. I do have a dead drive I can take a closer look at.

azurite fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 23, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So gamestop while it's buying used PS2s, they're not selling them.

I was hoping their asking prices would be cheaper than the wii so I could get a top loader ps2 model. But none are allowed to be had.

The only other possibly insane theory out there is that Gamestop is going to resurrect the old game store brands they merged with and have stores specifically deal in old as poo poo games.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 23, 2015

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'd dance for joy if they revived Funcoland as a retro store, but only if they dressed them up exactly as they looked in the 90s.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Silhouette posted:

I'd dance for joy if they revived Funcoland as a retro store, but only if they dressed them up exactly as they looked in the 90s.

Would you like a Game Informer subscription with your Neon Genesis DVDs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Kazvall posted:

Would you like a Game Informer subscription with your Neon Genesis DVDs?

Would you like to pre-order the Retron 6 and apply for a Funcoland credit card also?

• Locked thread