Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I have a couple friends of friends who gave birth to a kid a little over a year ago. They didn't have it in a hospital so there's no birth certificate, and no social security number. How does one even go about obtaining those things at this point? I'm more curious than asking for them, as you can imagine they are terrible parents and probably wouldn't do it anyway.

Did they get the kid baptized in their church or something? That can be used to get started. Otherwise, they should just talk to social security straight up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Did they get the kid baptized in their church or something? That can be used to get started. Otherwise, they should just talk to social security straight up.

They don't go to church. They aren't even officially married, and they're separated now. I guess if two American people show up at SSA and say "this is our kid", that's enough to get him a social security number?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What's a good free tool for simple photoshops?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

I'm not an expert but I'm going to guess GIMP.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
paint.net?

http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

^^^ nope

StashAugustine posted:

Hornil StylePix

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RaoulDuke12 posted:

They don't go to church. They aren't even officially married, and they're separated now. I guess if two American people show up at SSA and say "this is our kid", that's enough to get him a social security number?

Well they should call first, but yes they need to get in contact as soon as possible.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

RaoulDuke12 posted:

"Enough" might be stretching it. It's likely to be a hellish bureaucratic morass, but that's the channel where you'd need to start.

afterhours
Jul 1, 2007
What are some fun and cheap ways to entertain children on a football field?

I work for an art camp at our small art center. It's a lot of fun, except during lunch time. The camp is 8 hours long and the kids have a one hour lunch/recess. After eating, we use the football field next to the art center to play.

The age range is from 4-12 years old and many of the kids are home schooled or come from affluent families. Which means that they are used to be constantly entertained by adults and can't do anything themselves. It also means that their parents routinely threaten to sue us for minor things. The kids used to enjoy playing "Sharks and Minnows," a tag game where you run back and forth across a field. But last year two kids ran into each other and one got a bloody elbow. Their parent threw a fit, so we can't play anything violent like tag.

I brought my foxtail ball one week for them to play with. It's a hit in the low income school I work with, but the art kids didn't find it interesting at all.

I'm looking for a ball or bubbles or a parachute or something that the kids can have fun with. This will come from my personal money, so I don't want to spend too much. I don't mind spending a little money though, because I work with kids throughout the school district and like having my own stuff to drag around.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Tell the parents to suck one and have them play red rover.

e: and if it was only the parents of the one kid with the bloody elbow tell them bubble boy/girl is not welcome

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

afterhours posted:

I work for an art camp at our small art center. It's a lot of fun, except during lunch time. The camp is 8 hours long and the kids have a one hour lunch/recess. After eating, we use the football field next to the art center to play.

The age range is from 4-12 years old and many of the kids are home schooled or come from affluent families. Which means that they are used to be constantly entertained by adults and can't do anything themselves. It also means that their parents routinely threaten to sue us for minor things. The kids used to enjoy playing "Sharks and Minnows," a tag game where you run back and forth across a field. But last year two kids ran into each other and one got a bloody elbow. Their parent threw a fit, so we can't play anything violent like tag.

I brought my foxtail ball one week for them to play with. It's a hit in the low income school I work with, but the art kids didn't find it interesting at all.

I'm looking for a ball or bubbles or a parachute or something that the kids can have fun with. This will come from my personal money, so I don't want to spend too much. I don't mind spending a little money though, because I work with kids throughout the school district and like having my own stuff to drag around.

A football? A soccer ball?

Nerf balls?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

Pixlr. Bonus points for running in a browser.

afterhours
Jul 1, 2007

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

A football? A soccer ball?

Nerf balls?

Thanks for the suggestions, but we have to let the air out of the football and basketball we have. So that it won't go as far and make the weaker/younger kids feel over powered by the older kids. It's depressing and the kids hate it.

I hadn't thought of nerf balls though. My first thought would be dodgeball. I loved that game. But I have a feeling it's too violent.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

afterhours posted:

Capture the flag. There's a variant with a deck of cards that could work better if you have a wide range of ability levels. When you challenge someone, they show their card and you show yours, and the bigger number wins. Then it's less about running fast, and more about bluffing. You could google around for all the rules and other variants.

You could also have them make games up. Give them ten pieces of outdoor equipment and tell them to make up a game. Or put them in smaller groups and have each group come up with a game, and then have the groups teach each other. Then they vote for their favourites and you have a tourney of the top 3??

HAVE FUN!

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

afterhours posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, but we have to let the air out of the football and basketball we have. So that it won't go as far and make the weaker/younger kids feel over powered by the older kids. It's depressing and the kids hate it.

I hadn't thought of nerf balls though. My first thought would be dodgeball. I loved that game. But I have a feeling it's too violent.

Capture the flag, two hand touch style. At least the way my private school handled it was having two teams, one on each side of the field, and the "flag" (usually a ball of some kind) was in the middle of the end zone (well, goalie area in our soccer field). Then you just tell them to retrieve the ball without getting out. Makes the little fuckers think and I doubt it can be construed as violent unless they start tackling each other. If touching another kid or possibly bumping into them is an issue, then what the hell are the parents doing with kids in the first place? They aren't made of glass. I guess you could do relay races or uhhh crab soccer or some poo poo though. Most of these things involve physical contact.

Or teach them to play "Snap" the game where you.. literally just snap your fingers at people and imagine that poo poo happens. Weird to describe, but basically you snap your fingers and "throw" the snap at someone, they have to snap to catch it, etc. Everything starts and ends with a snap. That was big in middle/high school around here, for whatever reason. Can you separate out the younger kids and just have them do cartwheels or something? Seems odd to have 4 year olds and 12 year olds playing together.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

afterhours posted:

What the holy gently caress? Do you work at the Harrison Bergeron Playground?

We used to play "One, Two, Three, Red Light!" a lot, which is a total no-contact game. Paper airplane endurance flights can be entertaining. Is kickball a possibility (with a beachball or similar, so it won't hurt if it hits anyone)? "Hot Potato" with a beachball or beanbag might work. Some kind of disc golf with the soft foam pseudo-Frisbees?

As an old, I remember when non-competitive games were the fad in elementary schools (during the Carter Administration). This site talks about some of the games I remember. This has a couple more. "Moonball" isn't so bad; there's a variation where you lie on your back and pass the ball along using your feet which is okay, too. This has a description of the "Hula Hoop Pass" game which isn't terrible. The "Freeze Frame" game was not terrible, either; that's the one where someone plays music and everyone else has to dance while the music's going and freeze in place whenever the music stops.

Of course, we would play the growthful cooperative games in gym class, and then go out for recess and whip gravel at each other on the playground, because children are aggressive little primates.

Also, obligatory link to "The Toys of Peace".

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 23, 2015

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Play frisbee although your stupid poo poo 4 year olds will struggle

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

afterhours posted:

There was a thread on here a few years ago about some dude who built a kickass zipline at a summer camp with a length of wire and some old mattresses. Look into that!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Is their a thread on mopeds/scooters? Looking for a good one to move around a college town ~ 1000$

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

Not sure about a thread but a family member of mine fixes up scooters and knows a shitload about them. Feel free to pm me any questions or any craiglist ads you are looking at, they would be happy to take a look. All i know about them is that they are prone to breaking down, usually over minor things. If you have no tools and are not handy a scooter may be a huge pain in the rear end. Also make sure to get one with a clean title. An untitled vehicle can be an albatross around your neck.

Edit: found the thread in the cycle asylum section of automotive insanity. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3295850

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

syscall girl posted:

Tell the parents to suck one and have them play red rover.

e: and if it was only the parents of the one kid with the bloody elbow tell them bubble boy/girl is not welcome

Seriously, this. What the gently caress, tag is too violent? gently caress that noise.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
When did Western society make the change from BC/AD to BCE/CE and why?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

afterhours posted:

Model UN or Moot Court.

edit: Extreme Chess (normal chess)

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

afterhours posted:

Wow, I didn't realize it gotten that bad. For Fucks sake, kids can't even play Tag without it turning into a lawsuit.

How about a game of lawyers and litigants. The lawyer is It. It's like freeze-tag, but the the people who are frozen are litigants, and the kids doing the unfreezing are bail/bondsmen. It will help train the kids for the Harrison Bergeron playgrounds of tomorrow.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 23, 2015

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

afterhours posted:

Get a bottle of helium so they can hear their voices go all squeaky and funny.
Follow it up with putting an oven bag over their heads and filling it with helium.
That's the only way to deal with children of this calibre.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

WarpedNaba posted:

When did Western society make the change from BC/AD to BCE/CE and why?

Just Google your question. Wikipedia gives you the answer.

afterhours
Jul 1, 2007
Thanks again for the suggestions. I am definitely going to try Capture the Flag, Snap, and some things from that website.

Paper airplanes and cartwheels are also banned. Anything to do with water is banned. I got scolded last year because a kid jumped in a puddle of water and got their slacks dirty. Apparently they had a piano recital RIGHT after their 8 hour art camp. So yeah... I can't split them into multiple groups, because if I loose track of one they might find a puddle somewhere and get their clothes dirty. And also, since most of them are home schooled, their older sibling is their ONLY friend and it's emotionally upsetting when they are split up. Even if it's only splitting them up 5 or 10 feet.

Kids are so coddled these days. I was boggled when I started working with them. When I was a kid, recess was the time to get the gently caress away from the grown ups and make up our own games. Now the kids even want to eat lunch with us. I don't get it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why the hell are paper airplanes and cartwheels banned?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

afterhours posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_%28game%29#Team_tag

We played a variation on the Cops and Robbers version where there was also a "bank" for each team - a hula hoop with 5-6 balls/beanbags inside. If one team got all the beanbags, they won.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

afterhours posted:

Thanks again for the suggestions. I am definitely going to try Capture the Flag, Snap, and some things from that website.

Paper airplanes and cartwheels are also banned. Anything to do with water is banned. I got scolded last year because a kid jumped in a puddle of water and got their slacks dirty. Apparently they had a piano recital RIGHT after their 8 hour art camp. So yeah... I can't split them into multiple groups, because if I loose track of one they might find a puddle somewhere and get their clothes dirty. And also, since most of them are home schooled, their older sibling is their ONLY friend and it's emotionally upsetting when they are split up. Even if it's only splitting them up 5 or 10 feet.

Kids are so coddled these days. I was boggled when I started working with them. When I was a kid, recess was the time to get the gently caress away from the grown ups and make up our own games. Now the kids even want to eat lunch with us. I don't get it.

People like to go on about how Kids Just Aren't The Same These Days, but isn't that the key line, though?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I cannot wait to become an old man and run roughshod over these kids. Never going to wait in line again.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

afterhours posted:

Sometimes spree-killing is jusified for the benefit of humanity.

Though to be fair, it should be the parents, not the kids.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

afterhours posted:

Try Ninja Tag. Google it, there's a little physical contact but there's no way anyone could get hurt. I've seen people play that game for freaking hours.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

afterhours posted:

As someone who works in education, you're working with an exceptionally coddled group (and one I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole). But! It's kids like these who need people bucking the trend for them, even just a little bit, even just in your attitude when you work with them, so good for you for hanging in there. It's not their fault!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A fun game of Monkey Games where you fling heaping piles of your own poo poo at each other might do the trick!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Is there a way to add users to my ignore list from within the iOS Awful app?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Grundulum posted:

Is there a way to add users to my ignore list from within the iOS Awful app?

No, but you should suggest it over in the thread for the app and it'll likely get put on the list.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If I'm going to buy a car with cash, how should I actually pay for it at the dealership? Presumably I'm not going to walk up to the dealer like a pimp with a wad of hundos.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

RyokoTK posted:

If I'm going to buy a car with cash, how should I actually pay for it at the dealership? Presumably I'm not going to walk up to the dealer like a pimp with a wad of hundos.

Deposit it and get a cashier's check for the agreed price? Set up a financing plan that has no early payoff penalty and pay it off immediately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RyokoTK posted:

When I did it, I got a cashier's check from my bank just to make sure the payment was officially recorded by someone that wasn't the dealership.