Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Ashcans posted:

Out of curiosity, where are you? This isn't legal in Massachusetts, landlords can only charge the actual costs of repairing damages to the units, and they have to provide itemized invoices and receipts for anything they charge if the tenant requests it. Stuffing in punitive charges would get you dinged for treble the deposit here for mishandling, if the tenant decided to take it to court.

I'm in Virginia. Far as the actual legality of that, I can't say for certain. My company is pretty large and so is their legal department so I've always had faith, for lack of a better word, that the lawyers have already looked into or would have rooted out legal problems via being sued by now. That said, I may be retarded and punitive isn't the word for the intent behind it, but I do know the addendum's prices are more expensive than doing it yourself or hiring it out on your own (both of which we don't allow).

It's a per item thing. Basically the price for us to deal with you destroying your washing machine is more expensive than the price of the machine plus the $20 it costs for me to haul it over and replace the bad one by roughly $100. Now keep in mind that's a ballpark estimate of the markup because I've got paperwork to reference when I'm actually doing this kind of stuff (which isn't too often thankfully.)

E: Also we sometimes bend the rules where residents handling their own damages is concerned. If you broke your blinds or something else that doesn't involve more than just hardware replacement, that stuff can be found at most Lowe's and HD's. There are times where we just go "Look man, you can pick this identical blind at home depot. Take the broken one to them, tell them it's <measurement>, and just switch it out. The brackets are already there and it'll be cheaper."

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Ashcans posted:

How a landlord handles deposits is entirely based on how lovely they are and how likely they think their tenants are to fight it.
Right, I appreciate your hearsay impressions of how it works, I was really more curious from someone else who actually does walkthroughs for a living.

Ashcans posted:

This isn't legal in Massachusetts, landlords can only charge the actual costs of repairing damages to the units, and they have to provide itemized invoices and receipts for anything they charge if the tenant requests it. Stuffing in punitive charges would get you dinged for treble the deposit here for mishandling, if the tenant decided to take it to court.
It costs $1 for the lightbulb I replace and $25 for the hour it takes me to drive to Home Depot, buy it, come back, and screw it in. So you're paying $26 for a $1 lightbulb. I assume he meant this. It's certainly the kind of stuff I tell the tenants when I get their 30 day notice to vacate. I don't want your $25, I want a place that's ready to rent the moment you move out.

edit: Oh, look, he already replied and it's on the next page. I should really check for that sort of thing. Sorry to stuff words in your mouth, Avernus.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

I need some serious advice on how to deal with mildew. I knew our apartment had some humidity problems (tile floors are slightly damp in the morning) , but I only realized how bad this problem is about two weeks ago.

I opened a closet we rarely use to find black stuff all over the base of the wall. I googled around and it seems to be mildew. I cleaned it up and went looking around to see if maybe there was somewhere it originated from. There was a small crack in the ceiling. I filed a maintenance request with our landlord saying that there was a leak in the ceiling. A couple days later, I flip the couch cushion, mildew everywhere. So I start thinking, maybe there's a bigger problem then just a crack in the ceiling.

With a more critical eye I find that there are several bubbles in the paint in the living room and one in the dining room, both damp. There is mildew under the sink in the bathroom. There is some mildew around the baseboards behind furniture that we rarely move. Worst of all, some of our "special occasion" clothes stored hanging in the closet close to the wall are mildewed badly. So in all, three rooms and two closets have mildew/water/humidity issues that I can see. I reported this to my landlord as well. It's been two weeks. I've tried calling but I only get their voicemail.

Now, my landlord is pretty lovely. I live near a university, so there was really little choice in choosing an apartment. When we moved in our stove didn't work, we reported it in person the next day and it was a month and a half (of cooking on a hot-plate) before we got a replacement. Everytime we called in and got a person to talk to they informed us that maintenance requests had to be made via their online system. I have serious doubts about the landlord doing something about this anytime soon.

Can he hold us responsible? I know most renters insurance doesn't cover water damage but is this water damage if it's not our fault and due to poor roofing or pipes or whatever is making our house so drat humid? What can we do personally to help mitigate some of the mildew? Should we buy a dehumidifier? (Also we are located in Louisiana if that has any impact on advising us)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If it's infecting your furniture as well, there probably isn't any permanent solution other than vacating the entire unit, tearing down any wallpaper, drywall, carpets, ceiling tiles etc., dehumidify for a couple weeks and perhaps clean with fungicide, and only then rebuild the home.
I'm by no means an expert in this, but I'd say get out of there. It's unlikely you can do anything about it, and also unlikely it's your fault.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Disco Nixon posted:

Can he hold us responsible? I know most renters insurance doesn't cover water damage but is this water damage if it's not our fault and due to poor roofing or pipes or whatever is making our house so drat humid? What can we do personally to help mitigate some of the mildew? Should we buy a dehumidifier? (Also we are located in Louisiana if that has any impact on advising us)
Nothing you can do to stop it until you figure out where the water is coming from. If you reported it as soon as you found out about it, nothing the landlord can do to hold you responsible (unless you caused it). Unclear how bad it is without photos - I would report it and see what the reaction is (if they sweep in and fix it).

I would suspect your renters insurance would cover the damage. At the very least I'd call your agent and find out. This is the kind of stuff renters insurance is made for.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I live in a 1920s' tenement in the UK. It's as solid as hell on all the external walls, but the internal walls are very thin - I suspect they're the original lath and plaster, under 90 years worth of paint and wallpaper. I can hear my neighbour quite well through them -though it's not really a problem, he's a pretty quiet old man.

The issue is that he's a smoker, and I can often smell his cigarette smoke in my bedroom. I can't see any visible cracks in the shared wall or skirting boards, and there are no vents or anything between us, yet the smell is very strong in that area alone. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop the smoke seepage- would it be as simple as putting caulk along the top and bottom of the cornicing and baseboards and plugging the electrical sockets up, or should I be looking at getting the wall re-plastered, or is there anything else anyone can suggest to stop the smell coming in? It makes me feel sick when I'm trying to get to sleep at night, and is stinking up my clothes and bed linen.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Wow this thread is gonna be fun. I'm at my poker night and phonepostin' so pardon me if I don't have quotes in here.

In any case, that doesn't sound like mildew, Disco Nixon. Sounds like mold to me. If you've got a continually humid environment, mold loves that poo poo. Mold ain't good. It can have harmful health effects, especially if it gets far enough to go beyond just black stuff and sprouts spores. Clean up depends on how bad it is and can even include gutting the place down to the studs to be treated and sealed. Far as the cause goes, it's hard to say without looking at it myself. Could be an undiscovered leak (plumbing, roof even sometimes), or a result of poor or faulty weatherproofing in a naturally high-humidty environment maybe? Hard to say without rooting around in there myself. But that other guy is right, contact your renter's insurance and see what they can do for you.

As for you, OldManSmokerNeighbor, a building that old is almost beyond my comprehension as an American. Where I'm at it's almost impossible to seal out neighbor's odors in a building 30-40 years old, let alone from the twenties. It could be gaps in the walls or even leaks in separate units' A/C ducts bleeding across each other. Where I'm at the best we can do is seal any gaps around pipes and outlets and poo poo. We're not going to rip apart your walls to retape up every joint in your A/C ducts.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Apparently, my lease states they are not responsible for mold or mildew. The lease says "Mold contaminants may exist in the property. Neither the broker not the brokers agents are experts in mycology. Client understands mold is a naturally occurring microbe and that mold should pose no health threat to healthy individuals. In the case suspect mold contamination is discovered it is recommended that the client satisfy themselves by having a mold inspection performed. Cost and quality of such services may vary and is the responsibility of the client." My boyfriend was the one who signed it and read through it so this is the first I've seen it. That stands out as kind of a lovely for a landlord to put in a lease. But it doesn't matter since I'm responsible for the cost of testing and they won't do poo poo until I do so and I agreed to it :shepicide:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Disco Nixon posted:

Apparently, my lease states they are not responsible for mold or mildew. The lease says "Mold contaminants may exist in the property. Neither the broker not the brokers agents are experts in mycology. Client understands mold is a naturally occurring microbe and that mold should pose no health threat to healthy individuals. In the case suspect mold contamination is discovered it is recommended that the client satisfy themselves by having a mold inspection performed. Cost and quality of such services may vary and is the responsibility of the client." My boyfriend was the one who signed it and read through it so this is the first I've seen it. That stands out as kind of a lovely for a landlord to put in a lease. But it doesn't matter since I'm responsible for the cost of testing and they won't do poo poo until I do so and I agreed to it :shepicide:

Yeah that's pretty lovely. We had a lady once freak out about supposed mold to the extent that we had the lab tests done (on our dime) and it came back that there was a higher mold count outside than in her place. At that point we told her to gently caress herself but drat we at least tested the place.

E: Also that bit about it not being a health risk is crap. Granted a low grade mold infestation has to be stirred up to be really dangerous but when there's spores involved you get inhalation of mold. I wouldn't rate it as an immediate your gonna die threat but it certainly isn't good for you.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 8, 2015

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Disco Nixon posted:

IDK where you live but I'd look up if that's even enforceable wherever you are. I'd be surprised if you could just get people to sign a piece of paper that said they were cool with living in a place infested with black mold.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Yeah that sounds illegal as gently caress.

e: not a lawyer

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Avernus posted:

As for you, OldManSmokerNeighbor, a building that old is almost beyond my comprehension as an American. Where I'm at it's almost impossible to seal out neighbor's odors in a building 30-40 years old, let alone from the twenties. It could be gaps in the walls or even leaks in separate units' A/C ducts bleeding across each other. Where I'm at the best we can do is seal any gaps around pipes and outlets and poo poo. We're not going to rip apart your walls to retape up every joint in your A/C ducts.

Thought that sealing the gaps would be the best bet. We don't have AC units in my building (I live in the UK, we don't do air conditioning, seeing how it never gets above 24C) so it can't be that. I'll get a mate in to caulk everything that can be caulked, and hope for the best.

Also, you're so cute, thinking 1920s' is old. My parents garage is older than that.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Disco Nixon posted:

Contact your local tenants' group or union. They should be able to tell you whether you're living someplace civilized where that sort of thing is illegal or not.

If you don't have a tenants' union, it might be worth at least a sit-down with a lawyer. It certainly sounds like constructive eviction to me, but again, that will probably depend upon your locality.

As for "it's not worth the landlord's time to be taken to court," the vast, vast majority of tenants don't even bother. I learned this when--after three months of back-and-forth emails--I threatened to sue, and my landlord asked me what my address was. I filed, and we settled on the day of for the entirety of my deposit, because it was pretty obviously an ownership group that made a habit of taking everyone's deposit, and counting on the fact that they would just go away after that.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Irisi posted:

Also, you're so cute, thinking 1920s' is old. My parents garage is older than that.

Yeah buildings that old aren't exactly super common here. My area has some really old poo poo (for America) but gently caress me if I'll willingly work on a property like that.

In fact, being in Virginia, I'd bet my paycheck we got some of the oldest structures in the country but being American that's still young by European standards.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 8, 2015

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Avernus posted:

Yeah buildings that old aren't exactly super common here. My area has some really old poo poo (for America) but gently caress me if I'll willingly work on a property like that.

In fact, being in Virginia, I'd bet my paycheck we got some of the oldest structures in the country but being American that's still young by European standards.

Where is "here?" Boston is full of buildings that old.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Where is "here?" Boston is full of buildings that old.

I said I'm in Virginia. If you're looking for more specifics, I'm in the Hampton Roads area. I pretty much live where whitey first started settling in here.

There's certain sections of cities here that are old as loving dirt, but not many of those are exactly apartment living.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Avernus posted:

I said I'm in Virginia. If you're looking for more specifics, I'm in the Hampton Roads area. I pretty much live where whitey first started settling in here.

There's certain sections of cities here that are old as loving dirt, but not many of those are exactly apartment living.

I suppose what I meant to say is that it seemed like you were speaking for the entire US and I don't think that's entirely accurate for the whole country.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I suppose what I meant to say is that it seemed like you were speaking for the entire US and I don't think that's entirely accurate for the whole country.

Considering colonization started pretty much where I live ~400 years or so ago I wouldn't say I was being too inaccurate. We're babies by European standards and very few cities are majority old historical buildings. I'd say it's a safe bet to assume old rear end buildings are far more common there.

Which is why the idea of even trying to seal out a smell from a 1920s building strikes me as both amazing and pretty much an exercise in futility.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
My landlord notified me that he's putting the house I rent on the market. I have six months remaining on my lease. He says the place needs to be available for showings and weekly open houses. He wants my agreement by Monday

Any experiences with this? Advice?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Mucilaginous posted:

My landlord notified me that he's putting the house I rent on the market. I have six months remaining on my lease. He says the place needs to be available for showings and weekly open houses. He wants my agreement by Monday

Any experiences with this? Advice?

I have had this experience, and it's a real pain in the rear end. Most jurisdictions require a landlord (or his agents, e.g. maintenance, property managers, pest control, realtors) provide 24 hours notice before entry, but that's obviously incompatible with individual showings scheduled same day. And you could be dealing with a new agent showing up with each prospective buyer without the landlord's listing agent present. I even had two different agents let themselves in unannounced, without knocking, using the realtor key box; one time, I was only partially dressed. This was after firmly asking the landlord and the listing agent to contact me immediately after an appointment was scheduled and to try to give sufficient notice. After that, I refused entry to showings without advance notice. This earned me a few screaming phone calls, threats of violence and forced eviction, and a chicken-scratch eviction notice. So I put my stuff in storage and lived with a friend for 2 weeks while apartment hunting.

If I were you, I'd send letters certified mail to your landlord and his listing agent politely asking that they provide you sufficient notice before showings and to refrain from freely entering using a key box key unless necessary, like after you confirm with the agent you won't be home. State that you'll be sure to keep the place presentable as a courtesy, and you'll accommodate buyers at showings and open houses as best as possible. I'd precede this letter with a call to your landlord to feel him out. Demanding 24 hours legal notice of entry probably won't go over well. You really need to pick your battles if you're not prepared to move right now and don't think you'll need his recommendation in the future. Sure you've got a 6 month lease, but he can still make your life hell and may have grounds for eviction if you interfere or sabotage his sale.

The good news is that the new buyer will likely have to honor the terms of your lease except in a few circumstances.

Mucilaginous posted:

He wants my agreement by Monday

What do you think he means by this? A written agreement? Is he trying to get you to voluntarily waive your right to notice of entry? I also wouldn't feel pressured to agree to vacate during showings, and especially open houses, if you don't feel comfortable.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 15, 2015

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
You hold a fair amount of cards in this poker game. It is likely that it'll get sold to someone who wants to live in it, and it is unlikely anyone that wants to live in it will buy it knowing they have to wait 6 months to do so.

The fact of the matter is you are getting tossed out, either this month on your terms or 6 months from now on someone else's.

I'd suggest you tell your landlord that you'd love to start looking for a place to live right now and make everyone's lives easier, if the landlord will waive April's rent and provide your full deposit back to you (assuming you clean the place and leave it damage free). Sign an agreement to end the lease early on April 30th under these terms (or whatever you negotiate). This is the least smarmy way I can think of to suggest cash-for-keys.

Other methods would be "I'll be gone by Mar 31 for $1k in cash and my deposit back".

Some landlords will be more amenable to this than others.

What was said above is basically correct, you are entitled to 24 hours notice, you basically have to play ball here, your ammo is that if he is a nice guy then you keep the place clean, if he's a jerkwad you leave your dirty underwear everywhere and make the place smell like feces.

I'd advise the "Mr Nice Guy" routine before the "Mr Certified Letter" routine, but that's just me.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
As for the Monday agreement, the landlord asked that I agree to stage the place for viewings (in effect, try to make it look like I barely live here), and he agreed that he will "try" to respect the 24 hour notice and "probably won't" have any open houses.

The biggest issue is he asked if I can take my pets somewhere during showings. I have two cats that hate car rides, and two shihtzus. What am I supposed to do, go hide in the shed and lock the door?

I'll suggest breaking early, but my landlord quibbles over money frequently, so I'm sure they want a tenant right up until the new owner takes the keys. Heck, they already rented the detached garage as a storage unit to a couple on a two year lease three months ago. That couple moved out of state...if they have to come get their stuff, that will suck.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Mucilaginous posted:

As for the Monday agreement, the landlord asked that I agree to stage the place for viewings (in effect, try to make it look like I barely live here), and he agreed that he will "try" to respect the 24 hour notice and "probably won't" have any open houses.

Tell him he can go gently caress himself. Why would you agree to this?

In effect, he's asking you to take on a responsibility you don't really have, in exchange for him agreeing to "probably" respect your legal rights. ???

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 16, 2015

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Yeah, that's bullshit. I lived in a condo the owner was trying to sell, and he didn't give my roommates and I 24 hours notice. It sucked, and we only had to live with it for two months and didn't have to pretend we didn't live there. If you already offered to move early if your lease was broken and the landlord turned t down, I think it's time to put your foot down. No visits without a full 24 hours notice, period. After you don't allow entry to the first couple of sellers that the landlord "forgot to mention," I bet the landlord will reconsider breaking the lease early.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
Small update:

I notified them via text and email that the 24-hour notice is necessary to make sure the place is presentable. I will be turning away realtors who ignore that fact.

Lockbox for our unit is not happening, but they are putting one on the front (currently vacant) unit.

The funniest part of this whole thing is that they plan to list the property for 50% more than every other home in the neighborhood. Since it's been (improperly) split into a duplex, it's worth way more, right? :v:

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
How catastrophic is it if my landscape sprinkler system company did not acquire a permit? I got an estimate from them over a year ago, but wasn't able to schedule the job due to a costly unrelated problem that required a small remodel indoors (do never buy!). I contacted them again on Monday hoping to pick up where we left off, honoring the price quote and he was like, "Well our prices have gone up but if you schedule soon and go with the Gold package (has extra water efficiency bells and whistles) I can hold the price. How's Friday sound?"

Well now it's 6:45 Friday and they will be here at 8. The only reason this occurred to me was me googling on my phone due to insomnia an hour ago. The company has an A+ with BBB, licenses and certifications listed on their website, and only one Yelp review but it's 5 stars... Do companies just generally expect to not bother with permits?? The permit application online says nothing about the property owner, everything says "the irrigator must apply...", "the irrigator must schedule..." And it doesn't sound like a quick in-and-out one day thing.

I guess I will call after 7 but drat if I don't have anxiety now. This seems like such an obvious thing for a professional licensed contractor would know to do without prompting from dumb lil ol' me.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
More important than a permit for that would be the required utility markings. Did they do that?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

More important than a permit for that would be the required utility markings. Did they do that?

Yes, there are orange flags/paint for cable and red for electric. Should there be others? Water/gas? New homeowner, still new to this. :-/

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

drat Bananas posted:

Yes, there are orange flags/paint for cable and red for electric. Should there be others? Water/gas? New homeowner, still new to this. :-/

In Pennsylvania, there's a system set up where you make one phone call (called PA 1-Call), and all utilities have to come out and mark their stuff. If there aren't other flags/spraypaint, that means the other utilities have nothing there. If the utility fails to come out and mark their lines, and the person digging hits the line, the utility takes responsibility, so you don't have to worry.

Having said that, I have no idea about other states, but I would hope it's similar.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Is Roomster a Scam?

From Wiki: "All of Roomster’s basic features are free; anyone can search for listings, enter a profile, and view profile information for potential roommates.[5] While sending messages to other users on the site is free, responding to them requires an account upgrade for a fee."

I know for sure at least some of it is a scam because there are ads on Craigslist that don't actually have a roomster posting, they just want me to sign up. Then when I asked about discussing the listing over e-mail instead of roomster, I was told to gently caress myself.

I'm looking for housing in one specific city and the listings are, no joke, 4/5 roomster fronts.

Have goons used roomster?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is Roomster a Scam?

From Wiki: "All of Roomster’s basic features are free; anyone can search for listings, enter a profile, and view profile information for potential roommates.[5] While sending messages to other users on the site is free, responding to them requires an account upgrade for a fee."

I know for sure at least some of it is a scam because there are ads on Craigslist that don't actually have a roomster posting, they just want me to sign up. Then when I asked about discussing the listing over e-mail instead of roomster, I was told to gently caress myself.

I'm looking for housing in one specific city and the listings are, no joke, 4/5 roomster fronts.

Have goons used roomster?

lmao I just did some brief looking into them and apparently whoever does internet marketing for these people decided it was a brilliant move to post this review to multiple sites

quote:

I used to date this girl who was what you might “eccentric”. At first I loved that about her. She’d surprise me with the most bizarre and spontaneous things. One day she shows up to my place wearing a helmet and goggles and tells me she booked us for skydiving lessons on a whim! I love adventures so for me I thought this was a perfect match. We had some really amazing times together but things started to take a turn for the worse after her father passed away. I know it might seem insensitive of me but after her loss she became extremely irritable and moody to the point where she was constantly depressed and perhaps even suicidal. I knew that this was a very unhealthy relationship so I begged her to come to counseling with me so that she could get the help she needed. She refused to even consider the fact that she might need professional help and I was not sure what to do. The final straw came when she showed up outside my building at 4am one night screaming about how she wanted to kill me for not being there for her in her time of need. This continued for a few days until I finally got a restraining order against her. Unfortunately she didn’t care and would continue to harass me at my home. I knew I had to move. I found Roomster online and thank god I did because I don’t know how much longer I could have dealt with that craziness. Lets hope my next girlfriend isn’t nuts!

a+ viral marketing, must be a trustworthy company (everything points to them being a scam)

e:

quote:

I used to have a rabbit called Hope, I came home one day and my housemate looked me dead in the eyes and told me, ‘Your Hope is dead.’ I had no idea what she had meant until I went into my room to find the rabbit dead on my bed. My housemate had randomly snapped and killed it. I left that place the next day. I stayed with friends for a few weeks while I looked for another place. I ended up finding a really great deal on Roomster for a room to rent super close to my job. I met up with the person who created the listing for coffee beforehand to make sure that they weren’t crazy, lord knows I didn’t need to deal with any more traumatic housemate experiences. They were great and we get along extremely well. This site is great.

quote:

I lived with this guy who was a little weird and very controlling — the kind of person who desperately wanted you to think he was chill but was the literal opposite. He and his girlfriend would have extremely loud sex to Pandora’s techno station, but because he did not have a subscription, in the middle of them going at it you’d hear “Nchnchnchnch — advertisement: Are you a vampire?? — Nchnchnch.” Anyway, between having sex to techno and vampire ads, he would break up with her and then call his dad to cry/yell about how she was a horrible, immature person. I finally decided I didn’t have to live with this crap anymore so I started doing research on good places to find roommates. I ended up finding Roomster through a different site but I went with them because it seemed like they had a lot of rooms available and the prices weren’t bad.

someone's really having a blast writing these things on their dime, also if you reverse GIS the images that people post of the rooms they supposedly "found" they're all stolen from somewhere

deadwing fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 23, 2015

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Yeah it's freakin' bonkers. Basically I'm using padmapper and craigslist so far. But ughhh so many Roomster landmines. I've also tried some of the resources in the OP, are there any other good ones I'm missing?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

deadwing posted:

someone's really having a blast writing these things on their dime, also if you reverse GIS the images that people post of the rooms they supposedly "found" they're all stolen from somewhere

quote:

John S. [Roomster Rep] I am sorry that you have had a bad experience, but our listings are legitimate and we do not post and spam anything having to do with Craigslist. This may be an affiliate, but not our company! We do everything we can to prevent our affiliates from posting on sites, like craigslist, we remove their accounts and block access. I understand its frustrating, but had you reached out to us, we could have explained this to you, your review is unfair because it absolutely was not us and we are not responsible.

quote:

John S. [Roomster Rep] We absolutely do not post on Craigslist and have no hand in this at all. We do have an affiliate program and we ask affiliates not to post on Craigslist or any other sites. We remove affiliates who do. It would have been decent of you to contact us before posting this review. Its inaccurate and mean spirited.

quote:

John S. [Roomster Rep] This is one of the most ridiculous reviews posted. Every single listing on Roomster is Authentic. Login must me done through a third party social login, We also record all login and IP information for every account. You can also delete your account entirely at anytime! I wonder if this member ever contacted customer service! Please know that Roomster has an A+ rating with the BBB and we have a fully staffed 24/7 support help desk!

A+ Customer service.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 23, 2015

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I'm not sure how to deal with the residency/purchasing logistics of an upcoming move for me and my husband (plus a cat). We are moving from NYC to Delaware and do not currently have cars.

Our lease in NYC ends May 31st. His job and my school will start mid-August. He needs to stay in NYC for another 2 months after our lease ends. I figure he will sublet a furnished room in NYC for those two months while me and the cat and our stuff stay at my parents in Rhode Island (who are both cool with the idea) (this is also the only cost-effective option for him being in the city). At the beginning of July or August we will both move to Delaware in a small UHaul.

I will probably need to get a car sometime between June and July, since I will need a car if I'm not going to sit in my parents' basement all day, livin' the dream. I will probably also drive down to the area for a couple days to check out apartments (though the market is so much less vicious than NYC, I'm not sure how necessary it will be). How does this work for registration and insurance? I will only have the car at that location for about a month before moving to a different state. Will I just need to reregister it and readjust my insurance a month later? We've saved what we can, but we don't have a huge budget so I'd prefer to pay the fewest fees possible.

I think we can wait to get his car once we get to our final stop, but I don't want to take a bus to the dealership a day after moving to a new state. I don't think you get a good deal that way.

Has anyone had experience with a staggered move like this? Any tips? The car paperwork is really boggling me.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Can you rent a car to take your trip down to Delaware then buy a car while you're there so it's registered in Delaware?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In California, who do I contact about a landlord who has not sent me my security deposit? I got an email saying that they were going to send to me in on the 6th and the deductions made to it, its been almost 20 days now and the conversation from the superintendent I had a few days ago makes it sound like they haven't even tried sending it to me. Its also been over a month in actuality, because they withheld the check to deduct my utilities for the time I was there since I left halfway during the billing period (I left the 31st of jan, the utility bill came in feb 16th)

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

In California, who do I contact about a landlord who has not sent me my security deposit? I got an email saying that they were going to send to me in on the 6th and the deductions made to it, its been almost 20 days now and the conversation from the superintendent I had a few days ago makes it sound like they haven't even tried sending it to me. Its also been over a month in actuality, because they withheld the check to deduct my utilities for the time I was there since I left halfway during the billing period (I left the 31st of jan, the utility bill came in feb 16th)

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/sec-deposit.shtml

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

gently caress, and with attorney fees I guess this is another case of "You can do something, but you'll be spending more money then you'll earn"

Great, so not only did this rear end in a top hat make me pay out of pocket for a professional carpet cleaning I can't even force him to give me my drat security deposit back.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
They should've taken whatever cleaning fees from your deposit, so yeah you got dicked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
you can take them to small claims and get 100% back. It's an easy process if you're still local.