Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally North America will be entirely free of imperialists, royalists and reactionaries.

Then onto the rest of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
*New Englander :eng101:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Potooweet posted:

*New Englander :eng101:

American. :colbert:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Really good update. So "lightning war" is known as an American innovation now?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kellsterik posted:

Really good update. So "lightning war" is known as an American innovation now?

Makes sense. Between Ford, GM, and Chrysler the US pioneering the blitzkrieg isn't at all out of the question.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Makes sense. Between Ford, GM, and Chrysler the US pioneering the blitzkrieg isn't at all out of the question.

Uhhh I think you mean the National Automobile Syndicate. :colbert: :ussr: :anarchists:

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Too bad we're not also using the mobility focus tree, although that might be a bit much when coupled with the CSA's industry and manpower.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Did we clear that pocket around Spokane and take down the PSA? I can't remember.

Grizzwold posted:

Too bad we're not also using the mobility focus tree, although that might be a bit much when coupled with the CSA's industry and manpower.

The war would literally already be over if we were, it breaks the game like crazy.

Is Robert Lewis supposed to be anyone in particular?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Kavak posted:

Did we clear that pocket around Spokane and take down the PSA? I can't remember.

Nope, not yet.

quote:

The war would literally already be over if we were, it breaks the game like crazy.

I seem to remember in vanilla HoI2, the Grand Battle Plan UK tree had an option that gave units absurd amounts of morale and I always liked that one. Are the doctrines that different now? I honestly can't remember exactly how they used to go.

quote:

Is Robert Lewis supposed to be anyone in particular?

http://www.fakenamegenerator.com

Half the people in this LP were spawned out of this.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Chief Savage Man posted:

I seem to remember in vanilla HoI2, the Grand Battle Plan UK tree had an option that gave units absurd amounts of morale and I always liked that one. Are the doctrines that different now? I honestly can't remember exactly how they used to go.

It's all about Ground Defense Efficiency, which calculates how many casualties your units take. Manpower hovers around 50%, Firepower starts at 70%, and Maneuver at 100%. I don't remember how the others do.

quote:

Reminds me of the fantasy name and planet generators I used to use for writing TTRPG stuff.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Chief Savage Man posted:

It's great that this LP's narrative isn't solely confined to the exploits of historical figures. It really brings home how by the people, for the people the revolution is and even the bit characters are flawed and complex enough to be compelling all on their own.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Glad this LP, in proper leftist form, doesn't subscribe to the Great Man Theory.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Fake Name Generator Theory rules this alternate universe

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

oystertoadfish posted:

Fake Name Generator Theory rules this alternate universe

Fake Man Theory

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

RZApublican posted:

Fake Man Theory

its almost as if all of the historiography in this alternate universe was, in fact, fiction written in ours

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

oystertoadfish posted:

its almost as if all of the historiography in this alternate universe was, in fact, fiction written in ours

That smacks of historical revisionism to me. Next you'll be denying the atrocities that happened under the twenty-year rule of the mad, conquering baron of Mongolia..

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Von Ungern-Sternberg did nothing wrong!

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~
The entire Mongolia event chain strikes me as ridiculous. Yeah, the guy was a lunatic, but do you really think he could've kept hold of Mongolia for longer than a few years, let alone use it to launch some kind of batshit insane conquest of Central Asia?

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Viral Warfare posted:

The entire Mongolia event chain strikes me as ridiculous. Yeah, the guy was a lunatic, but do you really think he could've kept hold of Mongolia for longer than a few years, let alone use it to launch some kind of batshit insane conquest of Central Asia?

This Germany event tree is ridiculous. Yeah, the guy was a lunatic, but do you really think he could've kept hold of Germany for longer than a few years, let alone use it to launch some kind of batshit insane conquest of Europe?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Baron was immensely popular with the Mongolian peasantry, but he couldn't actually govern day-to-day. His regime surviving would've involved him being totally sidelined (More likely shot) and the government being run by sane people, most likely other Mongols. My personal theory involves Yithians, same with explaining how Wrangel turned into Slav Hitler.

Russia and her neighbors were made in a different mod called All the Russias about 10 years ago- the idea was that the Whites won, but the Central Powers still lost WWI. This eventually evolved into Kaiserreich a year or two later. There was... significantly less of a concern for plausibility back then. Nobody's given a good answer as to exactly how the Whites won if Brest-Litovsk still happened, how Kerensky is still in politics at all, how Kolchak ended up in Transamur, how Alash Orda survived, why the steppe countries have better economies than their 21st century equivalents, why the hell Baku's oil fields are independent, etc.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

theblastizard posted:

This Germany event tree is ridiculous. Yeah, the guy was a lunatic, but do you really think he could've kept hold of Germany for longer than a few years, let alone use it to launch some kind of batshit insane conquest of Europe?

I don't know, theblastizard; don't you think that there are differences between Germany (which had the largest population and economy in continental Europe, an extremely strong and recent martial tradition, and at least some sympathy from other local powers) and Mongolia (which was and is a tiny backwater of vastly lesser importance to its neighbours)?

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

David Corbett posted:

I don't know, theblastizard; don't you think that there are differences between Germany (which had the largest population and economy in continental Europe, an extremely strong and recent martial tradition, and at least some sympathy from other local powers) and Mongolia (which was and is a tiny backwater of vastly lesser importance to its neighbours)?

If someone made an alt history mod that was our universe in this one no one would believe Hitler's rise to power. Germany conquering Europe is believable, but so is Mongolia conquering the equally tiny backwaters surrounding it.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Kavak posted:

Russia and her neighbors were made in a different mod called All the Russias about 10 years ago- the idea was that the Whites won, but the Central Powers still lost WWI. This eventually evolved into Kaiserreich a year or two later. There was... significantly less of a concern for plausibility back then. Nobody's given a good answer as to exactly how the Whites won if Brest-Litovsk still happened, how Kerensky is still in politics at all, how Kolchak ended up in Transamur, how Alash Orda survived, why the steppe countries have better economies than their 21st century equivalents, why the hell Baku's oil fields are independent, etc.

Just going off of what's written in the country descriptions in the mod, it claims Germany intervened in the civil war to support the Whites, and that Kolchak attempted to seize power in 1924 but failed, and so escaped to have a go at leading Transamur.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I assumed Germany's intervention was more successful than the OTL intervention due to the same space bats or whatever they used to win WW1.

Does Japan still stage the Siberian Intervention in KR?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I've said this before, maybe in this thread, maybe in another, but Kaiserreich is Historical Fanfiction. I really don't mean any offense saying that, apologies to the devs, but ultimately it comes down to modeling "History" around interesting gameplay versus modeling interesting gameplay around History.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

YeOldeButchere posted:

I've said this before, maybe in this thread, maybe in another, but Kaiserreich is Historical Fanfiction. I really don't mean any offense saying that, apologies to the devs, but ultimately it comes down to modeling "History" around interesting gameplay versus modeling interesting gameplay around History.

And since this is a game, that's a good thing.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

LJN92 posted:

Just going off of what's written in the country descriptions in the mod, it claims Germany intervened in the civil war to support the Whites, and that Kolchak attempted to seize power in 1924 but failed, and so escaped to have a go at leading Transamur.

The best description I've heard for White victory is "Lenin gets assassinated, stuff happens". There was something about a Red general going rogue and trying to hook up with the Russian front lines (Taking most of the Red Army right into the maw of the Germans) that nearly happened IRL, which would've given the Whites a fighting chance. The power-seizure thing has been criticized in the past, though I can't quite remember why.

GSD posted:

Does Japan still stage the Siberian Intervention in KR?

I think so. How the Japanese managed to keep that chunk of territory is less clear.

YeOldeButchere posted:

We try to strike a balance, but this is true. Historians don't deal with counter-factual narratives on a professional basis- they go firmly in the Fiction department.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

theblastizard posted:

If someone made an alt history mod that was our universe in this one no one would believe Hitler's rise to power. Germany conquering Europe is believable, but so is Mongolia conquering the equally tiny backwaters surrounding it.

You mean the backwater Mongolia that previously created the largest empire on earth out of a bunch of squabbling nomadic tribes?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

i81icu812 posted:

You mean the backwater Mongolia that previously created the largest empire on earth out of a bunch of squabbling nomadic tribes?

In the thirteenth century, sure. Such things were not possible in the twentieth century. Superior engineering, adroit leadership and advanced military doctrine based on mobility count for a lot. The Mongols proved that. But they can't overcome insurmountable deficits in manpower and industrial capacity. The Germans proved that.

This is a gross oversimplification, of course, but I think it esablishes the point. Mongolia beating Xinjiang or Tibet? Sure. Mongolia beating China or Japan? Absolutely not.

Of course, this is a Paradox game. I've seen enough Xhosa or Tuvan world conquest to know that it's just part of their products' unique charm. :-)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

They rarely get beyond Xinjiang and Tibet in normal games. Chief's LP was a special exception.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Kavak posted:

They rarely get beyond Xinjiang and Tibet in normal games. Chief's LP was a special exception.

That's been my experience as well. Given what Kaiserreich is, I think that the idea of a crazy aristocrat deciding that he's the second coming of Genghis Khan and assembling the steppe hordes for conquest to be both absolutely hilarious and totally appropriate. I was mostly just taking exception to the suggestion that it was as plausible as the real second world war, that's all. :)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

...something is messed up with my install, right?

e:probably never updated to DH 1.04-RC1, actually.

e2:of course, now it's over 19000.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 24, 2015

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Chapter Sixteen: Manifest Destiny (Mid-August-Mid September 1940)

Letter from Culbert Levy Olson to Frank Merriam, 1942, Published in San Francisco Chronicle. Also sent to Sydney Morning Herald but not published.

Mr. Merriam, I will not pretend that we ever got along during the time of the Pacific States, but I do feel hurt by some of the things you have claimed about me, that I made a secret deal with Chicago before the war began or that I purposefully turned Japan against us. I always acted in the best interests of the Pacific people.

For a tiny while, it did seem possible that we could win but I know that you're either lying or a fool when you say you never gave up hope. You weren't here, you didn't see what was going on like I did. You went off on your desperation tour to Tokyo and Berlin while I actually had to stay here and try to manage a doomed war effort. The Reds had a plan and they executed it perfectly. Just as we were beginning to effectively respond in Southern California, they invaded San Francisco and before long, shells were falling near my office. That was when I had to admit that it was going to be over.

At that point, there were two choices to be made. Stay and surrender in Sacramento and possibly die in the fighting, or evacuate the city to try and continue the fight from elsewhere. Leaving with the garrison seemed like the best thing to do. I didn't 'abandon' anybody. What good would my corpse have done anybody?

I regret that we couldn't get everybody out and as I left, I thought for sure that they would all be dead or imprisoned. By the time we had gotten to about Eureka, we got some surprising news out of Sacramento. The Reds were a gentle occupier, allowing the existing municipal authority to stay in power and assisting with putting out fires. A hearts and minds campaign of sorts, one that contradicts the lies told by your Royal Ministry of Information. That news laid the foundation for what I decided to do later.

Our armies were being surrounded and defeated soundly on every front. My staff told me repeatedly that we could make our stand in Cascadia until the rest of the Entente forces arrived to help us beat back the enemy. The negotiations with Japan were also being treated as a potential deus ex machina, but my visit with the Prime Minister months earlier gave me the feeling that there was no hope for any assistance from the empire beyond the trickle of volunteers and limited arms trade.

There were only so many ports we could use to land allied forces. San Diego and San Francisco were already gone.

The Mexican army was advancing quickly on Los Angeles.

A second unit of Red Marines seized Portland. Before long, only Seattle was left.

And even if they were all open, the French and Red American fleets were patrolling up and down the coast. The Canal was closed off and there was a chance any reinforcements would be sent to the bottom of the sea before they could arrive.

Desperation took its toll and before long we were throwing out old men and boys without proper training to fight against battle-hardened veterans. What was the point of that? Every day I delayed caused more death.

It's still a hard decision to make when there is hope, or at least the illusion of hope. Seattle and Vancouver could resist and we could get reinforcements there.

But when the Red Fleet steamed into Puget Sound and we got the reports of heavy shelling across the city, then I knew it was over.

When Seattle was captured, I gathered all of my top staff together and told them I was considering surrender. To my surprise, not one of them disagreed with me.

The nail in our coffin came when we heard that an Australasian relief force was turned back and forced to retreat to Hawaii. Nobody was coming. The only thing to be gained from further battle was death and destruction.

So I made the call and two days later, I was shaking hands with General Marshall and signing an instrument of surrender. The Pacific States of America was no more.

The Canadians turned on our men as soon as news of the surrender got out. Our men had been steadily losing enthusiasm for the fight for weeks and our once allies felt they couldn't trust us anymore. Camps turned into battlefields overnight. What you've been saying that I ordered our men to stab our allies in the back is simply a lie. The Reds wanted the Pacific Army to stand down and allow the Red Army to deal with the situation, but when the Canadians attacked, we had no choice but to fight back.

Truth be told, the Pacific nation was just plain demoralized and exhausted. We were still Americans, and the door was open to us, just as it was to the Texans and the Virginians before us. The Pacific territories have been treated in exactly the same way as the rest of the nation was. The economy is transitioning to syndicalism, as it has been throughout America, and I will not pretend that it hasn't come with some difficulties. Your tales of labor camps and mass executions are simply false. Reconciliation rules the day here.

I don't regret my decision, not one bit. We had lost the war months before it ever began. They were too strong and as time went on, they would get even stronger. They had innovated new ways of warfare we never expected. The Pacific people wanted me to be their leader, and I did my best to lead them through an inevitable defeat. And I continued to lead them during recovery as the Regional Secretary for California. If you wanted to take a boat to Australia and scream and holler about what I did wrong, then that was your prerogative. I wanted to stay and rebuild my home, our home. My duty was to our people, and I tried to save as many of them as I could. I won't apologize for that and I won't take any guff about it from you of all people. I don't wish you ill, Frank, nor do I particularly like you, but I do wish you'd stop telling lies about me. It's unbecoming.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
From sea to shining sea! :anarchists:

I like how the Australian naval commander is apparently too embarrassed to face the camera.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Finally, all of the continental United States have been reunited! :toot:

But it looks like Mexico somehow got a part of California. Is there any way for it to be returned diplomatically to the CSA?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Dr. Snark posted:

Finally, all of the continental United States have been reunited! :toot:

But it looks like Mexico somehow got a part of California. Is there any way for it to be returned diplomatically to the CSA?

If they're not Mexican national provinces (which they might be, depending on how things shook out), then they should simply be returned to the CSA through province trading - the AI is programmed to give national provinces of allies back if the provinces aren't their own national provinces as well.

If they are, there's always acceptall and demanding territories.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Now for Canada. I hope that Edward VII likes sitting on the Throne of England while sweating it out in Sydney.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
To Canada! :hist101: And beyond! :black101:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Are you gonna puppet Canada or just outright annex it Turtledove-style?

If you annex and release, does it get a special Syndicalist tag / name / flag like they sometimes do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Drone posted:

Are you gonna puppet Canada or just outright annex it Turtledove-style?

If you annex and release, does it get a special Syndicalist tag / name / flag like they sometimes do?

Pretty sure it does.