Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a way in game to remove a subscribed growable? I can't remember which one is which and if I find an ugly one I want to be able to at least see the name of it and remove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Slickdrac posted:

Is this normal for that many people, or just because I have 7 or 8 mods going? CPU is a 2 year old i7

It's normal for me, after a while of play I usually close/restart the game because it's using basically all of my CPU and like 5 gigs of RAM.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Mrit posted:

Is that Windows XP 64 bit?

no I think it's 7 set to classic skin

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Almost done with the news stand. The most detailed 68 polygons.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Slickdrac posted:

Is this normal for that many people, or just because I have 7 or 8 mods going? CPU is a 2 year old i7

Rejoice, for this is a game that properly benefits from multicore CPUs and large swathes of RAM.

Remember that free memory is wasted memory, and unused CPU cycles are wasted cycles. If the software/games you run aren't peaking things out, you overspent on hardware. CSL will spend every cycle on every core it can get, on simulating your city.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ExtraNoise posted:

This looks great!

It also reminded me that you had asked about those hard shadows that obscure you being able to see the geometry/textures in the shadows. That doesn't seem right.

Can you right click on your view properties and open a flyout that looks similar to this? Try selecting Use Default Lights:

You'll have to forgive me if it looks a bit different than that. I'm oldschool as hell and use Max 2010 at home still because I've disliked a lot of the interface changes that have happened since 2012. But it should be similar.

The other option is to just put in ambient lighting at a low level.

Alkydere posted:

Oh, did you make the map? I picked it up from the thread, started playing it and then kinda tuned everything out. It's an amazing map. Especially the river/waterfall that's giving me 1.5K MW. :getin:

Yeah, glad people are enjoying it. Which waterfall is it, the one on the main island or the smaller one? Getting them set up right is really hellish though, it can take a long time for water to settle into its proper flow without sloshing about. Its actually my second go at the map since the first time I just worked directly off a height map and the scale was completely hosed up. Designing and playing it has given me lots of ideas on what to do on future maps.

Highways and railroads are going to have to be elevated, for one.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

simosimo posted:

I see you have an issue of BBW Monthly on display.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

simosimo posted:

Have you put it in game yet? I'm wondering how much work will actually get seen because even a gas station or corner store is 1 tile in size.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Kilonum posted:

Any chance you can do the Framingham (where I live) or Merrimack mouth (Newburys, Salisbury, Amesbury, Plum Island) area next?

From several pages ago...

Ask, and ye shall receive. A map of Framingham, MA.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412449821

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

What's the best way to use civilian walkways? Do you have to plan them out before you start, or is it possible to bolt them onto existing city blocks? I have trouble with them, since you can't zone behind them for whatever reason.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
No attaching zones or services to them (unless you mod). They take up one square and you place them like roads.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Zero One posted:

I decided I wanted a Central Park for my built up downtown area.

It turned out pretty well.

Note that you can attach the walkways to your park's walkways for more walkability!

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Zero One posted:

No attaching zones or services to them (unless you mod). They take up one square and you place them like roads.

Yeah, but pedestrians will walk on sidewalks like normal people, right? And I've never seen traffic stop for a pedestrian, so why and when would I use walkways?

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
None of my tactics to get more people to use buses is working. Is bus use supposed to be this low? like its probably less than 1 percent from my calculations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Trick Question posted:

Yeah, but pedestrians will walk on sidewalks like normal people, right? And I've never seen traffic stop for a pedestrian, so why and when would I use walkways?
Traffic stops for pedestrians. My one and only regret about my grid, but not enough to start demolishing pretty buildings.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

None of my tactics to get more people to use buses is working. Is bus use supposed to be this low? like its probably less than 1 percent from my calculations.

There a ton of factors playing into this, the best way to gauge your public transportation usage is by looking at the percentage of trips saved and how full individual vehicles are. You also need to be laying down buses, rail and metro in accordance with traffic. My map is laid out in such a way so that I have rail stations serving as regional hubs, with buses and metro picking people up around each part of my city and sending them to the rail station. From there they can hop on other buses, get on the subway, or take a train to another major part of the city.

Basically, you want a setup that looks like this:

Also, keep in mind that when you lay down bus route the smiley faces that pop up show that those buildings are in range of your stops. You can space them out pretty far apart.

e: Also keep in mind that the numbers in the data screen are a little deceiving because an in game week is not a very long time at all. It takes my population over a month to get from one end of my map to the other by rail. It takes an entire day just to board a train.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 23, 2015

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Domattee posted:

AFAIK Passenger trains do not carry your citizens, only tourists.
This may true of the red trains coming from the connections, but your local train network with the routes you set up will take all comers.

Maybe do a query on some of the bods waiting on the platform to confirm.

Having said that, for my second city which is up to 35 thou, I've got a simple metro system with two routes on a Y and that seems to be quite effective, even with the two routes having a few stations in common.

EDIT: Aww yisss
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410326945

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 23, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I wish I knew how to make 3d models. There is something sorely missing from Cities Skylines.

The Mayor's House! :haw:

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
Anyone have any advice on trying to get a heightmap in this area? https://www.google.com/maps/@60.1446865,-149.4104266,12z?hl=en

terrain.party doesn't seem to support latitudes that high. There's gotta be an elevation map somewhere I can convert.

Though, if the game only processes elevations from 0-1000m, the point might be moot anyway. Those mountains (and the icefield nearby) are pretty drat high.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

WMain00 posted:

The power satellite from Sim City looks pretty awesome in Cities:

The smaller version of it ain't bad either:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Domattee posted:

Merging two highways into an avenue is fine as long as the highway interchange before the merge allows for U-Turns. Otherwise you might get some bad congestion at the merge.

Ah feck that's probably why a lot of my highway interchange is hosed up currently, thanks for that tip!

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

zedprime posted:

Oh in that case I think I figured it out. Try changing these red circled intersections (and any other multilanes) to single lanes. I think the cims are getting confused about what is and isnt a local lane and trying to beeline far away from anything resembling a multi lane off/on ramp.

That fixed it, thanks!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Trick Question posted:

Sidewalks require roads, though, and more roads mean more traffic. The point of pedestrian paths is traffic reduction. If you want to connect your neighborhoods together without delivery trucks deciding to use them as a shortcut, use pedestrian paths. Also you can elevate them, so you can make a pedestrian crossing from your residential to a nearby commercial or industrial area and people will walk there instead of driving. Pedestrians will cross at crosswalks, but you don't get crosswalks unless you build an intersection, which slows traffic. Also if you make a roundabout out of highway sections, that doesn't come with any sidewalk, so you'll have to provide paths on your own. Metro entrance across the 6 lane road from the neighborhood? Elevated walkway. High school is right behind the neighborhood but the way there by roads requires going out to the main street and back? Add a path.

I love pedestrian paths, and I've been using them all over in my city. They do have to join up to something else walkable on both ends, usually this means a sidewalk or some parks. Otherwise your cims will never be able to route to them. You can tell if they're working, because cims will start using them almost immediately. And every one of those tiny people on your path is traffic not using your roads to go somewhere. Plus once you've built a path you get to line it with trees and then admire your beautiful path. What's not to love?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I knew more about 3D stuff I reckon I'd start seeing if I could raid 3D Warehouse for buildings and props that I could start industrially importing into this game. Geo Models in particular makes me wonder...

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN
Apr 27, 2010

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

lol. Another ship scared it onto land.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I wish I knew how to make 3d models. There is something sorely missing from Cities Skylines.

The Mayor's House! :haw:

I never knew I wanted a Mayor's House unique building so badly until now.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, glad people are enjoying it. Which waterfall is it, the one on the main island or the smaller one? Getting them set up right is really hellish though, it can take a long time for water to settle into its proper flow without sloshing about. Its actually my second go at the map since the first time I just worked directly off a height map and the scale was completely hosed up. Designing and playing it has given me lots of ideas on what to do on future maps.

Highways and railroads are going to have to be elevated, for one.

I used the one that's on the same starting island/landmass as the starting road connection. It actually settled pretty damned fast, though it fluctuated between 1k-1.2k for a good while before finally settling closer to 1K. Took me a good while to find the spot though, as you mentioned it was hard to find a good spot. I've sense put my water treatment plants behind it to get 1.5K when I'm using maybe a third of that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trick Question posted:

SynthOrange posted:

Yes, that is a pedestrian path. Yes it is being used.

I followed one guy and his dog who goes to university on the lower city. He parks his scooter right at the base of the path, then with his dog he walks all the way up to his home at the top.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

So I was playing with the Population rebalance and slower aging mods, and I ended up with tons more children than adults, and needed a truly absurd amount of schools to try and fix the problem, and it just wasn't working.

of course, I try to turn them off and the city won't load anymore.

Time to try again!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hunter Noventa posted:

So I was playing with the Population rebalance and slower aging mods, and I ended up with tons more children than adults, and needed a truly absurd amount of schools to try and fix the problem, and it just wasn't working.

This sounds like an accurate simulation to me.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm playing with big roads seriously now, and is there a way to merge roads without intersections? Like two one-way roads merging into a single two way road, and vise versa.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hunter Noventa posted:

I think there are higher capacity schools on the workshop.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hunter Noventa posted:

of course, I try to turn them off and the city won't load anymore.

Time to try again!

Basic rule of thumb is that any mod that alters gameplay roots itself into your save and becomes required for you to be able to properly load it, because without it the simulation would freak the gently caress out at all the sudden changes.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Friction posted:

The smaller version of it ain't bad either:

What's that big tower thing??

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Man I was enjoying this game when I first started playing it but after remembering how attached I was to my city in Simcity (Despite how bad the game was), I felt pretty bummed to have to start from square one again.

Now after a few sessions my city (And its terrible, terrible road planning) is starting to snowball into something worth caring about and I've only used two tiles of land so far and there's so much to do and watching it grow is so rewarding and oooohhh :3:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Count Roland posted:

I'm playing with big roads seriously now, and is there a way to merge roads without intersections? Like two one-way roads merging into a single two way road, and vise versa.

Abuse highways

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm kind of wavering between working with the flaws of my current city, BULLDOZING THE gently caress OUT OF ITS HEART, or just starting a new city all over with lessons learned.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

SynthOrange posted:

I followed one guy and his dog who goes to university on the lower city. He parks his scooter right at the base of the path, then with his dog he walks all the way up to his home at the top.

But those district names

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Subyng posted:

What's that big tower thing??

Looks vaguely like the Russian embassy in Havana (rumoured to be a secret missile silo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Songbearer posted:

But those district names

Well I'm not leaving my district names at the default. :colbert: