Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I took Jace and then got my face punched in by the guy who took Karn and all the artifact ramp in the cube. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

En Fuego posted:

Fun bit of drama yesterday, for you nerds.

At the LGS, playing prerelease. First round goes and in the middle of it, two guys get SUPER heated. Arguments and it almost seems like wizard poker was going to lead to fisticuffs (lol). One of the guys gets a talking to about using sexually explicit terminology.

Find out that it seemed to be about missed triggers. One guy cast Citadel Siege, forgot to name Khans or Dragons. Judge was standing there and noticed nothing was announced as the guy went straight to combat. Forced the guy to rewind back and choose. Guy chooses Khans and then has a chance to add the counters (much to the other guy's rage).

Other guy is super pissed, like will not stop bitching about it afterwards. Saying that even that it was a prerelease 'judges shouldn't play for you' and that it was super suspect cause the guy was a regular or knows the judge (who knows).

Best part? He won that game. But it affected him so much he dropped the other two.

Naming Khans or Dragons isn't even a trigger, it's part of the resolution of the spell. Guy who got mad at the judge is bad at Magic rules.

Lancelot posted:

I took Jace and then got my face punched in by the guy who took Karn and all the artifact ramp in the cube. :saddowns:

Sorry you lost but happy I'm not the only one who recognized ramp is super good in cube.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

qbert posted:

Naming Khans or Dragons isn't even a trigger, it's part of the resolution of the spell. Guy who got mad at the judge is bad at Magic rules.

Seriously. What did that guy think was going to happen, dude just had a 4CMC enchantment on board that wasn't doing anything? It's not like he missed the bolster trigger or something.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
This isn't directly related to MTG but I figured I'd share some sad not so recent news that I only discovered yesterday relating to a player from the goon community.

DPOC, I believe he went by the full name Death Pits of Crap on here, was a really friendly guy who found me through a post I made here several years ago about streaming cube. He and I became decent online friends and would screen share on Skype to help each other draft. I took a break from the game and stopped talking to him and then when I came back he wasn't ever on Skype anymore to play with me. Well I finally figured out why yesterday when I remembered that he and I were Facebook friends. Apparently almost two years ago now he was murdered by his roommate. I don't know if this news somehow found its way here before this,or if anyone else here had ever interacted with him like I had, but it was fairly devastating to me even though we had lost contact a couple months before his tragic death. I wasn't really sure if I should post anything about it here but I figured it was worth sharing since he was a really great guy and a pleasant part of our community.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

This isn't directly related to MTG but I figured I'd share some sad not so recent news that I only discovered yesterday relating to a player from the goon community.

DPOC, I believe he went by the full name Death Pits of Crap on here, was a really friendly guy who found me through a post I made here several years ago about streaming cube. He and I became decent online friends and would screen share on Skype to help each other draft. I took a break from the game and stopped talking to him and then when I came back he wasn't ever on Skype anymore to play with me. Well I finally figured out why yesterday when I remembered that he and I were Facebook friends. Apparently almost two years ago now he was murdered by his roommate. I don't know if this news somehow found its way here before this,or if anyone else here had ever interacted with him like I had, but it was fairly devastating to me even though we had lost contact a couple months before his tragic death. I wasn't really sure if I should post anything about it here but I figured it was worth sharing since he was a really great guy and a pleasant part of our community.

Allow me to be the first to say, WTF?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Holy poo poo. I was wondering why I haven't heard anything from him in a while. Used to play and hang out with him before he moved. Just checked his facebook and can confirm - he never used facebook much and I would text or call him instead. :ohdear:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
That's just awful. :( DPOC was good dude.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

That's really sad and I hope his roommate got his just punishment.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

JerryLee posted:

But here's a pro tip: the control player doesn't actually want to be going down card advantage to counter your Siege Rhino, and as soon as they can sideboard, they quite likely won't be.
The Twin player maybe doesn't mind going down a card to instantly win the game though. I don't see how printing FoW in modern does anything other than make Twin nigh-unbeatable.

e: well I guess it would just force every other deck to run the uncounterable hosers for Twin but that also doesn't sound good.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 22, 2015

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Khans has been quite solid, agreed. And I miss casting treasure cruise. But also wanted to give a shout out to Purphoros; cube game last night was easily decided by Goblin Rabblemaster, then Purphoros, and sealed with Siege Gang Commander.

Edit: whoops forgot to refresh from the conversation two pages ago!

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 22, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The Twin player maybe doesn't mind going down a card to instantly win the game though. I don't see how printing FoW in modern does anything other than make Twin nigh-unbeatable.

e: well I guess it would just force every other deck to run the uncounterable hosers for Twin but that also doesn't sound good.

Not every deck needs to run FOW to present a threat to combo; same with Legacy.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Man this draft went pretty well! And that was only the first two packs!

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Hellsau posted:

Good lord thats hilarious.

Also, my condolences to those of you who knew DPOC. :(:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Abrupt Decay and Combust have both been highly played, uncounterable cards vs. Twin for a long long time.

You might as well just ask why they're not running Pact of Negation right now as insurance.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Played on no sleep, my standard first and only prerelease. Everyone was getting the Kolaghan

Got the Atarka box, opened the best sealed pool I've ever played with.

Here's the deck.

My promo, Den Protector (aka Cave Mom) is really, really good. Atarka Efreet is a bonkers strong card, at worst it trades with another card, be it a kill spell or a creature, at best you deck your opponent in the face for 7, make combat math complicated. Impact Tremors is really good in the aggro deck, and especially good with Dash, Epic Confrontation is a powerful fight card. Atarka's Command lends to some blow outs and feelgoods. Sprinting Warbrute is a house.

My other rares were Tasigur, the blue Regent, and the Warrior that's 1WW and gives a Warrior double strike.

Round 1 got a bye, hosed around for an hour, could've had a decent W/B deck if I had literally 2 more cards in the colors.

Round 2 I 2-1'd R/B aggro, turns out Tread Upon is strong as poo poo, especially when you're playing a bear with a Bolster and Ewit in her back pocket.

Round 3, 2-1'd Esper... something. I don't know, he didn't play much other than kill spells.

Round 4, 2-0'd R/B aggro, again. You can't race Atarka Efreet.

Split Round 5, my breakers put me in first.

I placed first, got 19 packs. Feels good. Gonna open them now, will post openings.

Edit: Opened Sarkhan, Myth Realized, a foil Volcanic Vision, another Zurgo, foil Draconic Roar, Thunderbreak Regent, and the Haven land. Good run chum!

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 22, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Splash white drat you

You have Elesh Norn and 6* mana dorks

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Splash white drat you

You have Elesh Norn and 6* mana dorks

Also got an Armageddon. Never saw Temple Garden or Savannah. Just gonna sit on that sideboard option.

Rest in peace Farseek.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Abrupt Decay and Combust have both been highly played, uncounterable cards vs. Twin for a long long time.

You might as well just ask why they're not running Pact of Negation right now as insurance.
Well yeah they are but I don't think forcing every deck to include 4 of those cards maindeck will make modern a better format. The reason you don't run Pact in Twin is pretty obvious (you flash in your creature on their turn so you will have to pay for the pact before you can win) and I don't see how that relates to FoW at all.

apistat
Nov 4, 2004

Meet you on the roof?
I just went 4-1, taking second! Went Silumgar and had a really fun/synergistic Exploit-fueled deck. Sacrificing Youthful Scholar to Silumgar Sorceror to counter a huge dragon, get two cards, and still be up a 2/1 flyer is a great feeling in Magic.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Did Kolaghan tonight. 4-1, got crushed by a sick Silumgar deck (he had Mirror Mockery on Rakshasa Gravecaller, which turns it into Grave Titan).

My deck:
2 Ire Shaman
1 Monastery Mentor
1 Secure the Wastes
1 Dragon Fodder
3 Reckless Imp
1 Vaultbreaker
1 Ultimate Price
1 Tail Slash
1 Reach of Shadows
1 Kolaghan Aspirant
1 Atarka Efreet
1 Kolaghan Stormsinger
1 Flatten
1 Sprinting Warbrute
1 Ambuscade Shaman
1 Blood-chin Rager
1 Sarkhan's Rage
1 Tormenting Voice
1 Pacifism
1 Coat with Venom
3 Plains
1 Scoured Barrens
6 Swamp
7 Mountain

Biggest blowout of the night: I have Ambuscade Shaman, a Goblin Token, Ire Shaman, and Reckless Imp. Opponent has two 1/1 tokens, a Dashed Heelcutter, a Sabertooth, and the 5/5 Megamorph. He goes in for the alpha and Heelcutter stops Ambuscade Shaman's block. I cast Secure the Wastes for X=5 and create 5 3/3s. His face when it happened was dumbstruck.

I had two Surge of Righteousness, one Self-Inflicted Wound, and a Radiant Purge for the sideboard, plus some less interesting stuff (although I did have Ukud Cobra to go bigger and slower if needed). Ambuscade Shaman is the real loving deal, especially with three Reckless Imps.

Prize packs had a Stratus Dancer, a Thunderbreak Regent, a Myth Realized, a Dromoka, and some other crap I don't care about.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I got my Ugin stolen by Slimugar in a game 3 one turn before I had lethal.

I wasn't even mad

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Well yeah they are but I don't think forcing every deck to include 4 of those cards maindeck will make modern a better format. The reason you don't run Pact in Twin is pretty obvious (you flash in your creature on their turn so you will have to pay for the pact before you can win) and I don't see how that relates to FoW at all.

People choose to jam 4 Abrupt Decay into decks, it's an insanely good card.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Talked a friend into driving over from out-of-town for some Two-Headed Giant, I took the Dromoka box and he went Silumgar. Luckily he pulls a Frontier Siege and a ghost-Anafenza so I'm able to build a pretty good GW bolster deck-

9 Forest
8 Plains
2 Servant of the Scale
1 Dragon Hunter
1 Guardian Shield-Bearer
1 Hidden Dragonslayer
1 Lightwalker
1 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
1 Echoes of the Kin Tree
1 Sandblast
1 Sandcrafter Mage
1 Inspiring Call
1 Return to the Earth
1 Champion of Arashin
1 Frontier Siege
2 Aerie Bowmasters
1 Scale Blessing
2 Stampeding Elk Herd
1 Dromoka's Gift
1 Sunscorch Regent (seeded promo)
1 Pinion Feast
1 Enduring Victory

(my partner stuck with UB, he ran 9 creatures which is probably too low but he had some good support with Negates, Butcher's Glee and others, also the enchantment that lets you make a 2/2 flier when you cast a non-creature spell did a lot of work)

Round 1 vs UB/UW: They have us on the back foot for a while with some white dudes and good control tricks, getting up 32-1 on us at one point. Then one of them drops Deathreap Regent (the black Wrath dragon), then next turn I'm able to play Dragonslayer face-down and flip it up on the same trun, and I follow up with Sunscorch Regent. They can't find the last bit of gas to kill us and I get Sunscorch to a 16/15 thanks to Frontier Siege and Echoes of the Kin-Tree (and their scramblings for an answer) and kill them in two swings :iia: W

Round 2 vs RB/UB: Again they get the early drop on us until I'm able to stabilize with Anafenza, Sunscorch, and a couple other dudes. We're coming back from 35-3 until I have a horrifyingly bad near-punt: I swing with everything to get them within killing range (when I didn't need everything), and they swing back on their turn. I don't realize my partner has a blocker so I start to tick our life down since I'm focused on killing them next turn, then they cast a Butcher's Glee which would kill us. I pump the brakes and point out that we never got to declare blockers, to which they respond that I was already moving my life down which is us saying we're not going to block. We call a judge over who says that for 2HG, the player on the left is technically the one who's supposed to make all the calls pertaining to changes in phase or life total, so because my partner wasn't the one fiddling with our life it's his call. He blocks and we win next turn. I felt bad but the other team spent the whole game bitching every time we played a good card, so I didn't feel that bad. Remember folks, always make sure the slower, more thoughtful player is on the left! W

Round 3 vs R/UB: They drop a turn 2 Impact Tremors (1 damage to each opponent whenever a creature hits play on your side) and run us out of the building with Dash guys, including the one that reduces Dash costs :shepface: The Tremors guy was the judge that decided our game last time so I chalk it up to karma. They were at the championship table by the end but I don't know if they won. L

Round 4 vs RB/RG: They get a somewhat quick start until RB starts to flood and RG gets stuck on three lands, giving us time to stabilize. We trade for a little while until I get a few guys with counters into play, and then am able to start punching through with Stampeding Elk Herd. At the end of turn 3 the girl playing RB said "don't worry, we'll use lube" which is a hosed-up thing to hear from a 19-year old woman at a pre-release so this is one I was happy to win. W

I wasn't sure how much I liked the deck when I first put it together but Bolster is awesome. My fear going into it was that I would get a guy with a bunch of counters and then have it removed; I don't know if this is just a removal-light format or if no one was running much but I think I only lost a Bolster'd guy to removal twice the entire time, the rest of it was in combat and often when trading for a creature that had higher printed P/T. Conversely I was probably a little too removal-heavy, and once or twice I had to use a removal spell with a Bolster rider when I didn't have creatures to Bolster which was a bummer. Lastly, if you're playing Bolster in Limited then don't sleep on Formidable. Every time I dropped an Elk Herd I was able to swing for trample next turn, as I would have a guy in play that was already buffed by counters.

Pack pulls were decent- my friend traded me for his Siege and Anafenza that I used, and I also had a Flamewake Phoenix and Thunderbreak Regent in my pool. Prizes held a Stratus Dancer and a Dromoka's Command which might go great in my Sisay EDH deck, I'll see :P Fun day overall and probably the best I've ever done in a prerelease, at least since they started doing Sealed for them.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 23, 2015

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Couple of really good prereleases for me. First one I picked Dromoka, splashed red for a fairly synergistic Naya deck with warrior tribal (Blood Chin Rager, Arashin Foremost and Dromoka Captain) and Morph (Temur War Shaman) with decent conditional removal and bolster to make up for having few real beaters. The second I did today and I picked Silumgar, splashing white for Dragonlord Ojutai, with good fliers (sadly no other dragons) and Exploit with a promo zombie Sidisi. Not great removal though, probably my best option was to sac my Shambling Goblin to Silimgar Butcher to -4/-4 something, bigger stuff was a problem if I couldn't deathtouch them. I did at least have a Corpseweft to make either disposable bears to feed to exploit or make a game-ending beater, and enough fliers, including Palace Familiar, to make Soulflayer properly good. They only got in each other's way a couple of times, Flayer was my only Delve spell. And I got the Rakshasa that make zombies, some really fun cards.

This did lead to one of the most challenging and fun limited games I've ever played, the opponent ramped to a t5 Arashin Sovereign. I couldn't let it attack, so I used Reduce in Stature, and then had to figure out what to do next, as to swing with anything of more than 2 power means it blocks and gets recast, since I have no exile. We go into a sloggy, tit-for-tat exchange as I deal with his other guys one way or another, whilst unable to attack, until I'm able to cast Sidisi and use exploit to find Ojutai's Breath and get Ojutai herself out. I know the Sovereign came out t5 and if I cast those both it was at least t8, almost certainly later, probably at least my t12. I cast Breath in my next turn to keep the Sovereign from blocking for 3 turns, and get to swing and draw off Ojutai.

Commons of the weekend were probably Ojutai Interceptor and Marsh Hulk. No one ever expect as much backend as Hulk when blocking and expecting a big guy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Rode a decent Dash pool to a disappointing 2-3.

Last three matches I couldn't topdeck the signature cards that make Dash more just mediocre to save my life.

Pity pack had some nonsense GG avatar dude.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Only played one round and then dropped due to allergies flaring up and not really feeling like playing Magic when I am coughing my drat lungs out. Sucks because I had a decent Atarka pool splashing black for Ultimate Price, Flatted and Douse in Gloom. Pulled the RB monument and Bloodfell caves to make splashing simple.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sotar posted:

Only played one round and then dropped due to allergies flaring up and not really feeling like playing Magic when I am coughing my drat lungs out. Sucks because I had a decent Atarka pool splashing black for Ultimate Price, Flatted and Douse in Gloom. Pulled the RB monument and Bloodfell caves to make splashing simple.

That sucks, man. :( It sounds like a sweet pool, too.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

bhsman posted:

That sucks, man. :( It sounds like a sweet pool, too.

It couldn't have happened yesterday instead with my meh Silumgar pool that lacked removal.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Went to another prerelease today, between 17 people we got 7 Narsets

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Went to another prerelease today, between 17 people we got 7 Narsets

More rebounds than Deandre Jordan

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I played at the Midnight prerelease. My friend registered before me and also picked Ojutai. He opened Icefall Regent as his seeded rare, and then opened Anafenza. Meanwhile I got Stratus Walker as my only blue or white rare in the entire pool. I opened Palace Siege and the X/X zombie pile rare but literally three black creatures.

I still had a lot of fun, but I went 2-0-1 (the guy got the rare dragon that gives you a life when your opponent casts a spell and had the loving 4/4 mythic that does everything). I also opened a Sarkhan which I sold for my entry fee, so I can't complain too much.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Other than my own results the only real story I have is that someone pulled a Narset in their pool and one of their friends offered three fetches for it, and another offered four fetches if the player ripped it up, to which he agreed. :(

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

bhsman posted:

Other than my own results the only real story I have is that someone pulled a Narset in their pool and one of their friends offered three fetches for it, and another offered four fetches if the player ripped it up, to which he agreed. :(

Rich people are assholes.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sotar posted:

Rich people are assholes.

It's not as bad as tearing up a Volcanic Island (which happened a few weeks back), because Wizards isn't reprinting that any time soon, but because from my perspective I basically rely on my store being awesome and making FNM free, with prereleases being the only paid event I can attend (since it's Sealed, I'm guaranteed a good amount of cards and don't have to quibble whether to grab the chase rare or a card that is great in Limited), so people doing poo poo like that or Flip'N'Rip is a little grating.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

bhsman posted:

It's not as bad as tearing up a Volcanic Island (which happened a few weeks back), because Wizards isn't reprinting that any time soon, but because from my perspective I basically rely on my store being awesome and making FNM free, with prereleases being the only paid event I can attend (since it's Sealed, I'm guaranteed a good amount of cards and don't have to quibble whether to grab the chase rare or a card that is great in Limited), so people doing poo poo like that or Flip'N'Rip is a little grating.

If I saw someone tear up a Volcanic I'd punch them.

And then glue the pieces back together.

Would not actually punch them.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

bhsman posted:

Yeah, I have a modern Junk deck and I could never do anything like that. Even if I didn't need the cards they could fund a trip to a GP or open series or something.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
A friend of mine managed to get two Narsets in her pool for a 2HG prerelease. I think she did well.

My own experience was a decent pool with 2x Roast, Twin Bolt, Bathe in Dragonfire and Death Wind among the removal, two of the megadragons and a splashed Silumgar 1.0. I got Junded out R1 then had to head back early for my friend's birthday. At least I did well on the prerelease minigame :shrug:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Wezlar posted:

If I saw someone tear up a Volcanic I'd punch them.

And then glue the pieces back together.

Would not actually punch them.

The picture got shared on Imgur in the last thread.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 23, 2015

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Did I draft Reanimator right?

Only change is I sideboarded Buried Alive out almost every game. I saw my reanimation targets more than often enough (not counting being able to pull off Gifts Ungiven for Unburial Rites + Whoever) so it was either redundant or too slow.

edit: Recurring Nightmare is already disgusting, and using it to recur Shriekmaw or Keiga is just stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Has anyone played a good amount of Tiny Leaders yet? I'm tossing together a budget deck (Pianna Mono White Tokens) just to have one and since I haven't actually played I'm worried that the deck has very few things to do on turns 1-2. Are a lot of the decks in the format super fast? I managed to whittle the list down to 50 cards and basically ended up with 18 3s and 14 total 1s and 2s.

Maybe since it's so "top heavy" I should find a further cut or two and go up to 19-20 lands.

• Locked thread