Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Oh my god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Ahahahaha

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I can't show that gif to my friends because they haven't beaten the drat game yet!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

get better friends

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pure fuckin gold

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The loving Son's face in that scene gets me every time, and that .gif does it one better. Good job!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I really don't like the Swans. How can I learn to enjoy them like everyone else? I can never accurately shoot people and while the chainsaw is super satisfying it's just another melee weapon (albeit one that kills fat guys).

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Use the gun primarily as a way to alert enemies to your location, and then slice em up as they run through the door.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I really don't like the Swans. How can I learn to enjoy them like everyone else? I can never accurately shoot people and while the chainsaw is super satisfying it's just another melee weapon (albeit one that kills fat guys).

Shoot to attract dudes. Aim roughly in the direction of dudes and shoot repeatedly. Basically be shooting constantly - gunswan will pick up new guns automatically if he's empty, and anything is better than the pistol. Do executions, and shoot while you're doing them.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Yeah focus primarily on Alex and act like you're playing Tony. Keep in mind that she can melee big enemies and automatically starts an execution on them. If you're doing hard mode keep in mind that Ash's guns do not suffer from the same halved ammo on pickup as everyone else. Ash is best used (in this order)

1. Covering you when you execute enemies
2. Drawing out enemies with the sound of gunfire
3. Cheerleader

18. Engaging in combat like a normal character with a gun.

Trick Question posted:

Shoot to attract dudes. Aim roughly in the direction of dudes and shoot repeatedly. Basically be shooting constantly - gunswan will pick up new guns automatically if he's empty, and anything is better than the pistol. Do executions, and shoot while you're doing them.

The shotguns are very situational. In most situations the pistol is second only to the Uzi. Firing quickly is a big deal, same with it's large ammo capacity.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Trick Question posted:

...what? He does what? :stare:

VV You mean the little text bits under the characters when you select them for the first time? I never read those beyond just seeing what each ability was.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 23, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

...what? He does what? :stare:

There's a tutorial popup that mentions that the first time you play Alex and Ash. :v:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

King Vidiot posted:

The loving Son's face in that scene gets me every time, and that .gif does it one better. Good job!
God, the bit where the mook hands the Son the shotgun and then his body slithers into the room with four other mooks and then the Son gets a grip and is swallowed into his own portrait is the most :stare: loving thing ever. That whole level is probably the best moment in a game for me in a long time.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Swans are the best. It kind of threw me when someone mentioned the guy is named Ash and isn't using the chainsaw. I could've swore the chainsaw Swan has big beef arms holding up the chainsaw, but her unmasked sprite doesn't seem to be very big.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Moltrey posted:

God, the bit where the mook hands the Son the shotgun and then his body slithers into the room with four other mooks and then the Son gets a grip and is swallowed into his own portrait is the most :stare: loving thing ever. That whole level is probably the best moment in a game for me in a long time.

The way the guy unceremoniously wobbles under the table like a piece of paper in the wind and disappears makes me laugh every time.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Another thing to keep in mind is that (far as I can tell) Ash cannot be killed by any means, so sometimes you might find yourself positioned in such a way that he can open fire on some dudes while the vulnerable swan is still safely in cover. Due to his 'generous' pathing I would say the opportunities for this are more by happenstance than by intent.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Whos the ultimate badass? The Son? Beard? Pardo? Hulk Evan? Biker? Jacket? Who would be the top Miami Dog?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

turboraton posted:

Whos the ultimate badass? The Son? Beard? Pardo? Hulk Evan? Biker? Jacket? Who would be the top Miami Dog?

Jacket is still number one in my heart.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't know why we're even debating who the ultimate badass is when it's obviously the handsome, do-no-wrong, hard boiled detective Manny Pardo. If only I could be such an upstanding citizen who is also conveniently good with a shotgun as him.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

I don't get why this phrase has gotten so latched on to but I like the results anyways.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Geight posted:

Another thing to keep in mind is that (far as I can tell) Ash cannot be killed by any means, so sometimes you might find yourself positioned in such a way that he can open fire on some dudes while the vulnerable swan is still safely in cover. Due to his 'generous' pathing I would say the opportunities for this are more by happenstance than by intent.

I like that when you inevitable get blasted as Alex, and you wait a bit before hitting restart, Ash will throw his gun away and surrender with his hands up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

loving :lol:

Pirate Jet posted:

I don't get why this phrase has gotten so latched on to but I like the results anyways.

Maybe its because After he says it he loving sucks the game and the dialogue text into his mouth poo poo's pretty rad.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Wamdoodle posted:

I like that when you inevitable get blasted as Alex, and you wait a bit before hitting restart, Ash will throw his gun away and surrender with his hands up.

You can still control Ash before he surrenders too, use that moment to avenge Alex! :getin:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Tony is clearly the most badass guy in Hotline Miami. He can kill fat people with his barehands. Evan is pretty cool too

CJacobs posted:

I don't know why we're even debating who the ultimate badass is when it's obviously the handsome, do-no-wrong, hard boiled detective Manny Pardo. If only I could be such an upstanding citizen who is also conveniently good with a shotgun as him.
Man, you hear about that Miami Mutilator? Sounds terrifying, way worse than that Masked Murderer. I'm glad we have someone like that wonderful detective Manny Pardo on the case.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Geight posted:

This method is handy for those pesky "offscreen enemies", just position Ash at the end of the hallway or whatever and unload down it.

Wamdoodle posted:

Ash is the wimpiest for this reason. Biker4lyfe

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jehde posted:

Ash is the wimpiest for this reason. Biker4lyfe

It also makes Alex a badass, since When Ash does die to The Son, she replies by saying "what are you waiting for, do it already". She doesn't even want to surrender.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

For some reason Jake just reminded me of the movie Super, so I really hope that we can somehow import our own character sprites so I can put the Crimson Bolt into the game.

Shut up, crime!

ed: Alternately the Crimson Bolt and Boltie as Alex and Ash.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 23, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Jehde posted:

This method is handy for those pesky "offscreen enemies", just position Ash at the end of the hallway or whatever and unload down it.

Nice passive-aggressive quotation marks.

King Vidiot posted:

For some reason Jake just reminded me of the movie Super, so I really hope that we can somehow import our our character sprites so I can put the Crimson Bolt into the game.

I would love this, but I feel like it'd be too much to ask for. I'd like to make Soldier levels where you can pick more than assault rifle/shotgun/sniper/flamethrower.

e: I also feel like if you make a level for The Fans, you're not going to be able to restrict the choice between the four like Death Wish does. Which is a shame, because that makes it one of the best levels in the game.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 23, 2015

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Moltrey posted:

Tony is clearly the most badass guy in Hotline Miami. He can kill fat people with his barehands. Evan is pretty cool too

Agreed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUG7Uk_APkU

I find Evan's character to be really great, and I hope we get some more levels with him when the editor comes out. He's arguably mentally stronger than any of the other characters, being actually sound and willing to spare people's lives instead of slaughtering entire buildings like everyone else does for the gently caress of it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
If you didn't post this, I was gonna. Bless you.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

The Son is obviously the most badass, since he killed all the fans while hosed up on drugs, and robbed a bank vault with just two other dudes.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Beekeeping and You posted:

The Son is obviously the most badass, since he killed all the fans while hosed up on drugs, and robbed a bank vault with just two other dudes.
He didn't kill Tony, the strongest motherfucker in the world.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 23, 2015

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Evan is clearly the most badass. In a world full of murder and death he actively refuses to participate. He takes on a building full of Ruskies weaponless and alone and after clearing it out with his bare hands is still polite and courteous.

Unless you push him too far :black101:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

Nice passive-aggressive quotation marks.

Nice posting. :downsbravo:

Songbearer posted:

Evan is clearly the most badass. In a world full of murder and death he actively refuses to participate. He takes on a building full of Ruskies weaponless and alone and after clearing it out with his bare hands is still polite and courteous.

Unless you push him too far :black101:

Evan is a solid second most bad rear end for me. Probably most badass if it weren't for Biker's dreamy blue helmet and hair. :swoon:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 23, 2015

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

But the real question is why everyone is forgetting loose cannon cop manny pardo

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Could someone repost the spinning Dog gif? with Richard talking about spinning out of control?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Beekeeping and You posted:

But the real question is why everyone is forgetting loose cannon cop manny pardo

Who?

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Could someone repost the spinning Dog gif? with Richard talking about spinning out of control?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

SO GOOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Jehde posted:

Evan is a solid second most bad rear end for me. Probably most badass if it weren't for Biker's dreamy blue helmet and hair. :swoon:

I wonder if his hair just naturally grows turquoise.

• Locked thread