Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Heyo! :toot:

I made a thread focusing on modding the game, hopefully so that we can collect info + tutorials, as well as help eachother make better mods.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708036

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

euphronius posted:

Abuse highways

Well I'm beginning to understand why everyone is so obsessed with their interchanges. The traffic in the game seems incapable of using multi-laned roads properly.

Its trafficopocalpse over here, the corpses are piling up in the brand-new downtown.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm going to start a new city. DIRT ROADS ONLY.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

SynthOrange posted:

Yes, that is a pedestrian path. Yes it is being used.

I followed one guy and his dog who goes to university on the lower city. He parks his scooter right at the base of the path, then with his dog he walks all the way up to his home at the top.
What map is this?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Inverness posted:

What map is this?

Enjoy!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm still having some trouble figuring out demand/employment. I've made a mostly farming city, which then branched out into mining and forestry too (thanks to the infinite resources mod). Nice little collection of linked small towns rather than one mega city. Anyways, the problem is, I'm always hovering at 1% unemployment, no residential demand, huge C and I demand, and my workplaces are all constantly abandoning due to not enough workers.

If there's a shortage of workers why do I have almost no residential demand? If I build more commercial or industrial I'll get more residential demand, but it's never enough, I'm always short nearly 10%. If there's 20,000 jobs I'll have 18,000 people, always. I've never chased after resource extraction before, I always go straight to offices. Do they just not generate enough demand or something? Shouldn't R demand just be a function of employment demand?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've run into a problem, or bug (?) where I can place more roads, but they're not zoned for anything. As in, I can't put buildings next to them, and there are no tiles to zone.

It's not solely location based, either, as I have an incinerator way out in the boonies that's still running, but putting another road next to it is still unzoneable.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Friction posted:

The smaller version of it ain't bad either:

Subyng posted:

What's that big tower thing??

PT6A posted:

Looks vaguely like the Russian embassy in Havana (rumoured to be a secret missile silo).

I know that tower! In reality it's mainly used as a tourist attraction and telecom relay point though.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Demand is something I don't think I'll ever understand. There are all kinds of interdependencies between buildings, but it's really not clear what drives demand. Industries, offices and commercial zones all need workers, and commercial zones need customers. Commercial zones also need goods from industries and offices. Residences need a place to work, but they don't seem to specifically need nearby commercial buildings. They do seem to drive the demand bar for them, though.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Also another map for Kilonum. Newburyport and the north shore of Massachusetts.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412508594

The Merrimack river flows into the harbor and out into the Atlantic ocean. Beaches and fun in the sun, if you can stand 50 degree F water during the summertime.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah the demand is kind of opaque. My city's industries are mainly forest and farming, then I started getting a lot of 'shops have no goods' issues popping up. Building a dedicated cargo line to import goods helped clear that up, but otherwise the exact workings of my city's requirements are vague and mysterious.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

This looks great, going to play this now!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The way I understand it, there are different kinds of goods. The four specialized industries input raw resources and output their specialized good (e.g. forestry goods).

Then generic industry takes the four specialized goods as input and outputs generic "goods" which are used to stock commercial buildings. Office also output generic goods, but a very small amount.

Any input that's not available gets imported (i.e. raw resources for the specialties, any of the four specialization outputs for generic industry), and any output good that's not needed gets exported.

Don't forget if you choose the "Outside Connection" overlay you can see imports and exports.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I just started a new game and placed a single "small park" which costs $8 weekly but in my finance tab costs me $15 weekly. I have no policies active and am playing unmodded. What gives?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SynthOrange posted:

I'm kind of wavering between working with the flaws of my current city, BULLDOZING THE gently caress OUT OF ITS HEART, or just starting a new city all over with lessons learned.

Yeah I'm leaning towards starting a new city myself. Friston is kinda wearing on my and I've learned so much I could use to make my next city much better! I can't decide what map to use though, I'm torn between your island map, chewbot's mars, chewbot's desert, or this apalachia map.

Well, my next proper city. Right now, I'm playing Tiny Town. :3:

I know a "proper" Tiny Town is all 1x1, but I find 2x2/2x3 commercial/industrial still looks sufficiently tiny.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 23, 2015

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

It looks like suburban hell. A+++

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

To do list for next city:

-Build highways raised from the start.
-Do NOT have industries on both sides of the highway, they will clog the gently caress out of it trying to get from one side to the other.
-Going to need a flat piece of land for that airport.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Am I weird for wanting high-speed two lane roads for country highways? Alternatively 4-lane country highway with grass median.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 23, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah I'm leaning towards starting a new city myself. Friston is kinda wearing on my and I've learned so much I could use to make my next city much better! I can't decide what map to use though, I'm torn between your island map, chewbot's mars, chewbot's desert, or this apalachia map.

Well, my next proper city. Right now, I'm playing Tiny Town. :3:

I know a "proper" Tiny Town is all 1x1, but I find 2x2/2x3 commercial/industrial still looks sufficiently tiny.

How do you make 1x1 houses spring up like this? Do you just zone a single square at a time?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

CJacobs posted:

How do you make 1x1 houses spring up like this? Do you just zone a single square at a time?

That's exactly how.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Zone only 1 tile away from the street.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

kefkafloyd posted:

The Merrimack river flows into the harbor and out into the Atlantic ocean. Beaches and fun in the sun, if you can stand 50 degree F water during the summertime.

Any chance of WashDC and surrounding area?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I wish there were slightly smaller roads that only supported a max of 3 tiles away from it, so you could just have that much lower density kind of neighbourhoods if you like. A lot of 4x4 low density residential still look like a giant bungalow/McMansion hybrid.

thepaladin4488
Oct 28, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

I've run into a problem, or bug (?) where I can place more roads, but they're not zoned for anything. As in, I can't put buildings next to them, and there are no tiles to zone.

It's not solely location based, either, as I have an incinerator way out in the boonies that's still running, but putting another road next to it is still unzoneable.

Do you have the No Pillars mod with collision turned off? That seems to cause that issue.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sober posted:

I wish there were slightly smaller roads that only supported a max of 3 tiles away from it, so you could just have that much lower density kind of neighbourhoods if you like. A lot of 4x4 low density residential still look like a giant bungalow/McMansion hybrid.

Why not just zone 3 tiles away online? Too much effort?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Why the hell isn't this working?

It's not like it's short of water or electricity :shrug:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is the water level still rising or running off elsewhere?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I have been playing this game all day.

My exits are horrible clusterfucks.

It's amazing though.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

kefkafloyd posted:

From several pages ago...

Ask, and ye shall receive. A map of Framingham, MA.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412449821

kefkafloyd posted:

:toot: thanks man. Reason I wanted those is I live in Framingham currently and spent my teenage years in Newbury next to the Plum Island airfield

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Unkempt posted:

You built the road too high? Enjoy your impending flood.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Unkempt posted:

Won't start working until the water level on the convex side hits the bottom of the beveled edge and on the concave side is lower than said edge.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Kilonum posted:

Won't start working until the water level on the convex side hits the bottom of the beveled edge and on the concave side is lower than said edge.

Well that's quite straightforward.

Solomon Chumby
Dec 31, 2012

Created my first custom building.

Now I just need to figure out how to texture it.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Yes those dams can be touchy about when they start to work and how much power they put out sometimes I am on a map with huge waves rolling down one of the rivers, which when dammed produce anywhere between none and about to meltdown power levels at any given minute. I have no idea how anything electrical survives in this city.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

Solomon Chumby posted:

No you don't.

fakeedit: okay maybe the handle should be gold or something. And I guess there should be some water in the bowl? And you should figure out how to make it so there are people in the bowl panicking. So yeah I guess there's some work to do

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Unkempt posted:

Well that's quite straightforward.

Translation: "It needs to fill up"

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Solomon Chumby posted:

Looks good. Release it. Make it a substitute for a waste treatment plant.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Count Roland posted:

Well I'm beginning to understand why everyone is so obsessed with their interchanges. The traffic in the game seems incapable of using multi-laned roads properly.

Its trafficopocalpse over here, the corpses are piling up in the brand-new downtown.
The more I prod at the limits of the sim, the more I believe its an incredibly astute model of how people actually drive, if slightly accommodatingly inaccurate at some of the edge cases.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Am I weird for wanting high-speed two lane roads for country highways? Alternatively 4-lane country highway with grass median.

Nope, but I can wait for a balance pass of the current roads. Using one way 2 lane roads as a stop gap may not be the worst stopgap in the world even if you kind of need to game it to make people use it if anything faster is in the nighborhood.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Another milestone: I made my first ever working switchback and made a little town to connect to it! It looks pretty bad and there are probably a lot of ways I could have done it better but I'm proud of it regardless.

Here's the view from the hill. You can see the Coast of rear end is almost entirely cleaned up now. Also one of the houses burst into flame like 30 seconds after I erected the town but don't worry I've since fixed it by putting it next door to a firehouse. That's what you get for not being fire-safe, assholes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Traffic in my city just started freezing up because a major roundabout suddenly caused the AI to go stupid. They all want to get in the interior lane of the roundabout for some reason. I don't even understand why. There are no lanes leading off of the inside. All of the exits are on the outside of the ring, because duh that's how it works. I just... :psyduck: