Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Sombrerotron posted:

Shepard was Harbinger/the AI/Conrad Verner all along.
It's like poetry, it rhymes! :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Im having issues with cutscenes and sound. It seems that everything, especially ambient sound is quiet. Except voices that are jarringly loud compared to everything else. Anyone else who have had this issue?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Man, having cleared my games backlog recently, I am feeling terribly goddamn nostalgic for the glorious ME2 Space Buddies Wrecking poo poo Out In The Terminus days. I miss those guys, y'know? I really need something to fill the void, why aren't more people doing slick space exploring games with rad synth soundtracks and gorgeous spaceships? I need to explore strange new worlds and wipe out new life and new civilisations, guys.

:smith:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Sentinel Red posted:

Man, having cleared my games backlog recently, I am feeling terribly goddamn nostalgic for the glorious ME2 Space Buddies Wrecking poo poo Out In The Terminus days. I miss those guys, y'know? I really need something to fill the void, why aren't more people doing slick space exploring games with rad synth soundtracks and gorgeous spaceships? I need to explore strange new worlds and wipe out new life and new civilisations, guys.

:smith:

ME2 really was the best wasn't it

Hauls off like a freight train right after Freedom's Progress and doesn't let up

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
go replay ME2 I guess

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pattonesque posted:

ME2 really was the best wasn't it

Hauls off like a freight train right after Freedom's Progress and doesn't let up

The pacing is so good, yeah. By far the best-structured game Bioware's ever done.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Mass Effect 2 is probably in my Top 3 favorite games of all time. The fact that it stripped down RPG mechanics doesn't really matter to me because it's ultimately Bioware's best game in so many respects.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Alain Post posted:

The pacing is so good, yeah. By far the best-structured game Bioware's ever done.

Mass effect had some good flow after ilos. But the tech just wasn't there with the three "story planets". A lot of walking back and forth, a lot of elevators.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The worst part about the elevators is that there are some areas in ME1 citadel that you can't get to by fast travel, meaning that you need to take a slow rear end elevator in and a slow rear end elevator out. And there's no way to fast travel directly to your ship, meaning you need to take the longest elevator in the game to get to your ship, just because the geometry of the hanger is so huge. Yet you can only travel through about 1/10th of the area and there's only two quests that happen there.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
ME1 I can almost forgive for putting the party banter in the elevators. ME2 made everything a fixed animation which is a big waste of time on modern PCs. ME3 finally did something that scaled with good PC hardware.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

15 seconds of my life GONE

*repeatedly plays 40 hours of the same game over and over*

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Beefstew posted:

Mass Effect 2 is probably in my Top 3 favorite games of all time. The fact that it stripped down RPG mechanics doesn't really matter to me because it's ultimately Bioware's best game in so many respects.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Take out planet-scanning and ME2 is nearly perfect for me, I think.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The first thing you should be doing after waking up from the operating table is using Gibbed's editor to give yourself 999999 of every resource.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think I would have replayed through the ME2-->ME3 sequence a lot more if there was just a randomized save feature ala the Dragon Age Keep that toggled all the plot flags. That way instead of knowing exactly how I was going to game the plot strings I'd be surprised on every new playthrough and have to guess my way through many of the more difficult speech checks.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Personally, I don't think changing plot flags are interesting enough in this series to influence replays. Biggest influence for me was playing different classes. I stopped replaying when I played the classes that I wanted to.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
ME2 is pretty great, but after getting halfway through I had to stop for a while. There's just no me-time in this game. Just tons of railroaded quests. The lack of Mako is the only reason I can say it's only tied with ME1. Combat is better, but story and dialog are equal. Being prettier is a non-factor.

It's just frustrating realizing that you're on rails when they give you a spaceship and a galaxy to "explore".

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Eh, even without the wonkiness of the Mako, ME1's non-main worlds suffered from being nice to look at, but with waaay too much empty space, terrible terrain, etc.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Regalingualius posted:

Eh, even without the wonkiness of the Mako, ME1's non-main worlds suffered from being nice to look at, but with waaay too much empty space, terrible terrain, etc.

Bring Down the Sky perfectly encapsulates everything that's good and bad about ME1's level design, it's got huge open wonky terrain that the mako bounces all over and rocket turrets that you get to play leap frog with slowly whittling them down while not dying yourself. 3 perfectly identical prefab buildings that you've been in many many times before. And one beautifully constructed set piece room that's used for one battle and where all the plot happens.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nasgate posted:

ME2 is pretty great, but after getting halfway through I had to stop for a while. There's just no me-time in this game. Just tons of railroaded quests. The lack of Mako is the only reason I can say it's only tied with ME1. Combat is better, but story and dialog are equal. Being prettier is a non-factor.

It's just frustrating realizing that you're on rails when they give you a spaceship and a galaxy to "explore".

A lot of that just came down to space limitations on last-gen console hardware. ME2 was initially designed such that you could recruit squad members in any order, but the game had to be split across two discs for 360 hardware, which is why we get fixed four allies + Horizon. You can edit squad members back into the PC version using gibbed's editor though, and they'll even have unique dialogue for missions they're not even supposed to appear in. As for the side missions themselves, most are pretty forgettable but never quite as tedious as ME1's indentikit barren world/abandoned spaceship layouts, and the scenery is usually pretty cool.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Mass Effect 2 is paced better as it exists, and I'm glad for the disc split. Hell, I love it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ME3 probably had the best mission design with a few exceptions. I love ME2 but like a third of the missions take place in the exact same industrial Space Warehouse-themed area, and all of those were really forgettable gameplay-wise.

Like, Garrus (loyalty), Samara (recruitment), Miranda (loyalty), but then you have missions like Jack (recruitment) and Grunt (loyalty) where it's supposed to be a prison ship/hospital, but they end up just feeling like space warehouses too. Honestly the best single-player missions in the game are probably LOTSB and the ME3 DLC.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

DJ Dizzy posted:

Im having issues with cutscenes and sound. It seems that everything, especially ambient sound is quiet. Except voices that are jarringly loud compared to everything else. Anyone else who have had this issue?

Computer might be trying to output surround sound to a not actual surround system, or some kind of misconfig like that? Dick with audio settings in windows and game.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
I forgot one of the biggest shames/flaws/sins of ME3 that is Diana Allers. Holy poo poo Jessica Chobot is bad. Sadly, I feel my acknowledging this is because you all are better than I am and don't even talk to her once, let alone letting her on board every loving time. I can't help it, I must fill Zaeed's room on the Normandy.

I really should just follow Javik's advice for unwanted personnel and shove it out the airlock...too bad that only means she gets dropped off at the nearest space station.

Honestly, it might have been fine if she at least interacted with anyone on board or was more than just ign fanboy wet dream. The whole "journalist on board getting behind the scenes of the war" thing isn't a terrible idea.

Alas, she's on my ship. I've gone soft. :shepicide:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

every time I talk to her and tell her to gently caress off - it's great

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
I need to. I keep telling myself I'm going to just tell her to get off my ship, but I dont

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I always let her on the ship so I can kick her out at the first opportunity. Or to spread fear throughout the galaxy.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I let her on because numbers go up (a little little bit but still numbers go up).

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
I'm the kind of sperg that will sit through about 60hrs per game and survey every planet and every stupid N7 or mp map just because.

I do try and meta game in my head for Allers and hope that the reporter I punched 3 times bitches that a two bit nobody reporter is allowed room and board on the Normandy while she is doing "real journalism" on the Citadel with a broken nose

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Weird question, but does anyone here like the volus? I really like them because in a world of badass criminals and military types, the volus are basically middle-aged accountants. They're so harmless that it's wonderful.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Why they decided we needed Allers when we already had two good reporter characters to work with that had competent acting and non-freakish faces is one of many things that will forever baffle me.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Mr Tastee posted:

Weird question, but does anyone here like the volus? I really like them because in a world of badass criminals and military types, the volus are basically middle-aged accountants. They're so harmless that it's wonderful.

Tell that to these guys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DMplxckHcY&t=22s

(Almost positive this a goon video.)

tribbledirigible fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 28, 2015

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Mr Tastee posted:

I love them. I'm totally fed up with the military in video games and I want to play a civilian bounty hunter or something, or just some lovely guy who has to work his way up to knowhow. Security guard or something. Unfortunately ME4 is gonna be more dumb N7 poo poo

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'd really like it if ME4 had you as a C-Sec officer or poo poo.

Or Blasto.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

My personal dream ME4 is an interquel where you play a C-Sec officer on a fully fleshed out Citadel, foil a bunch of different plots in Wards all over, nearly get your poo poo blown up at the end of ME3, and complete some kind of hopeful epilogue. Also there's coop and you can play as a highly customizable alien :colbert:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
C-Sec version of Die Hard 3.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Alcia
Jun 3, 2013

What.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

My personal dream ME4 is an interquel where you play a C-Sec officer on a fully fleshed out Citadel, foil a bunch of different plots in Wards all over, nearly get your poo poo blown up at the end of ME3, and complete some kind of hopeful epilogue. Also there's coop and you can play as a highly customizable alien :colbert:

I would loving play that. That would be pretty drat awesome. Take up the role of Dick Jonesly, space detective.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I think a Blasto game would have to basically be Sleeping Dogs.

Or maybe have it a spectacle fighter developed by Platinum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Hey that could just as well take place on the rebuilt Citadel after the events of ME3, in the power vacuum that would have followed the war. Even without the Reaper threat, there would still be lots of disputes and crime to deal with in the new era I'm sure. I think this concept art shows what is probably the new Citadel, or an extension?:

I'm not much looking forward to another "save the galaxy" type story in ME4 really. My favourite sci-fi games tend to be "day in the life" style like Republic Commando and Halo: ODST.

• Locked thread