Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Whoolighams posted:

Not to make too much wrestlechat, but last year Reigns was one of the last two left in the Royal Rumble, and people were tearing off the roof at the possibility of him winning the whole shebang. One year later, he actually wins and ends up getting booed while the Rock raises his hand-that's ridiculous.

Part of it was how Roman won. That rumble was bullshit, Kane and Big Show eliminate most everyone at the end, not Reigns. They eliminated people by both of them picking people up and throwing them out with no resistance. It was one of the most anti-climatic and gently caress finishes ever. It felt like Reigns did not earn the win, he was handed it, hell Reigns was not booked that strong in this rumble. That rumble was terrible, and the fans were voicing their displeasure at that.

Also, between Royal Rumble 2014 and now, Reigns has shown how green and poo poo on the mic he is, which we did not know at the time. WWE have also done nothing to mask his inexperience. He was also injured until right before the Rumble. He is a wrestler who desperately needs a manager to talk for him.

OldTennisCourt posted:

In all fairness as I recall most of the cheers were over him making sure Batista, who was everyone knew was going to a part-timer, didn't win the Rumble plus he wasen't being crammed down people's throats. Like people are saying, Roman's not TERRIBLE, he's just nowhere near ready.

He's not ready, and I cannot buy him beating Brock Lesnar, or even being in Lesnar's league. It takes time to get people to the top, unless they were at the top in other places like Hogan. Bret Hart took a good long while to get to the top of the WWF, Austin was in WWF for probably a year and a half before getting the belt (but he also had been in WCW for 5-6 years before then, so he id dhave experience), The Rock rose quickly, but he had a lot of talent and was so charismatic, his promos blew everyone out of the water. If WWE push Reigns too hard, it will backlash and could hurt or even ruin his career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, but it is a shame that all the white noise of idiots overshadows the good and thoughtful critiques and responses of her work. While I honestly can't stand her speaking voice I think Liana K did a really good series of videos on the FemFreq stuff.

The videos are a narration of the 5 part article "Opinion Why Feminist Frequency almost made me quit writing about video games". The articles (essays, really), are insightful and well written. They're a bit long (hence the readings), and get very in-depth-- but then again, if the stated goal is to have a well reasoned, thoughtful and researched discussion about a topic rather than just screaming Twitter-length talking points louder than your opponent, well-- you get essays.

Part 1:
http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-1

Part 2:
http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-2

Part 3:
http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-3

Part 4:
http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-4

Part 5:
http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-5

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Not to keep the wrestling themed derail going (It's this or Gamergate :v:) but i've been thinking a lot about wrestling and how it operates as a narrative. Like, how Luke Skywalker's hero's journey compares to Steve Austin's, stuff like that.

From Summerslam 2013 onwards the WWE, and i guess we could call it's author Vince McMahon, stumbled rear end first into it's greatest story in years: The Rise of Daniel Bryan. Now Bryan taking on the Authority was meant nothing more than a place holder, filler till either John Cena came back or Vince thought of something better. Daniel Bryan was never meant to be champion or be the top guy in the company. But in those six or so months he created the biggest star, the greatest hero, since Cena. Then the fans revolted because it became clear Vince was never going to give the fans the ending they wanted: Bryan as champion and The Authority defeated. Vince did finally give that ending at Wrestlemania 30, changing what ever his original plans were.

Now for Wrestlemania 31, he is putting on Roman Reigns VS Brock Lesner. He is facing a huge fan backlash again but this time he is sticking to his guns.

I guess I am wondering to what extent does an author owe his audience the ending they want, even if it's to a story they don't want to tell? If the fans want Daniel Bryan as Champion, does he have an obligation to give that to him?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Testekill posted:

Brock & Goldberg. Austin was the special guest referee.

To be honest I absolutely love that match despite it being one of the worst of all time. The only time I can think of a crowd being that hot was during CM Punk's match against Cena in Chicago at Money in the Bank.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Tracula posted:

To be honest I absolutely love that match despite it being one of the worst of all time. The only time I can think of a crowd being that hot was during CM Punk's match against Cena in Chicago at Money in the Bank.

That crowd was loving hot for that whole show, and nuclear for that match. It was so great.

BigRed0427 posted:

Not to keep the wrestling themed derail going (It's this or Gamergate :v:) but i've been thinking a lot about wrestling and how it operates as a narrative. Like, how Luke Skywalker's hero's journey compares to Steve Austin's, stuff like that.

From Summerslam 2013 onwards the WWE, and i guess we could call it's author Vince McMahon, stumbled rear end first into it's greatest story in years: The Rise of Daniel Bryan. Now Bryan taking on the Authority was meant nothing more than a place holder, filler till either John Cena came back or Vince thought of something better. Daniel Bryan was never meant to be champion or be the top guy in the company. But in those six or so months he created the biggest star, the greatest hero, since Cena. Then the fans revolted because it became clear Vince was never going to give the fans the ending they wanted: Bryan as champion and The Authority defeated. Vince did finally give that ending at Wrestlemania 30, changing what ever his original plans were.

Now for Wrestlemania 31, he is putting on Roman Reigns VS Brock Lesner. He is facing a huge fan backlash again but this time he is sticking to his guns.

I guess I am wondering to what extent does an author owe his audience the ending they want, even if it's to a story they don't want to tell? If the fans want Daniel Bryan as Champion, does he have an obligation to give that to him?

If the author tells a story well, he can manipulate the audience into buying what he is selling. WWE is not doing that.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Random but important question: Does Richard Harris count as a one-hit wonder, and if so, is there any chance Todd will ever cover Macarthur's Park on One Hit Wonderland?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

On the subject of wrestling I really liked that Max Landis documentary-like thing on the subject: video

I mean, I was an Attitude person. I kind of fell off watching it around 2003-2004, so most of what he is talking about I remember. But man, wrestling back then was weird and dumb. And it sounds like instead of having a shitload of these superstars they kind of put all their effort behind John Cena. I kind of entertained the thought of getting the WWE network and watching the Attitude stuff I grew up on to see how bad the bad stuff was and to see why I fondly remember The Rock and Steve Austin (and his feud with Vince) and Mankind becoming Dude Love and doing a flying elbow drop off the top of the cage on to HHH, and to see if it holds up.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
An author isn't entitled to show an ending the audience wants. That's why I've never really subscribed to the backlash to the Harry Potter ending or things of that nature. As long as the author has followed the threads they set down in a way that makes sense they can do whatever they want if they're a good enough writer.

The point is this though, you better have a drat good backup idea if you're just going to throw away a ready made, fan favorite storyarc/idea that makes total sense and everyone is waiting for. If Vince had some amazing plan in place that was even better than Bryan winning then he could have done it, the backlash would fade because it would be worth it. The problem is the ideas he have are all "gently caress the fans, they don't know what they want, I DO!".

Jimbot posted:

On the subject of wrestling I really liked that Max Landis documentary-like thing on the subject: video

I mean, I was an Attitude person. I kind of fell off watching it around 2003-2004, so most of what he is talking about I remember. But man, wrestling back then was weird and dumb. And it sounds like instead of having a shitload of these superstars they kind of put all their effort behind John Cena. I kind of entertained the thought of getting the WWE network and watching the Attitude stuff I grew up on to see how bad the bad stuff was and to see why I fondly remember The Rock and Steve Austin (and his feud with Vince) and Mankind becoming Dude Love and doing a flying elbow drop off the top of the cage on to HHH, and to see if it holds up.

I'd say get the Network. It's seriously worth it for the backlog and NXT is loving amazing.

V----- I think that the reason is that while yeah, the Attitude era had a lot, a looooooooooooot of lows (there was a female wrestling stable called PMS, there was miscarriage angle) the highs were so loving good that it sort of takes over in people's memories.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 23, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Honestly a lot of the attitude era was pretty bad, it's just that the audience was into everything and it was never really boring. But yeah, NXT is fantastic stuff and all of their specials have had some awesome matches on them.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

lornekates posted:

The videos are a narration of the 5 part article "Opinion Why Feminist Frequency almost made me quit writing about video games". The articles (essays, really), are insightful and well written. They're a bit long (hence the readings), and get very in-depth-- but then again, if the stated goal is to have a well reasoned, thoughtful and researched discussion about a topic rather than just screaming Twitter-length talking points louder than your opponent, well-- you get essays.

Part 1:
http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-1

Part 2:
http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-2

Part 3:
http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-3

Part 4:
http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-4

Part 5:
http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-5

Here's the written version if you don't want to hear her read her audiobook. http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-1

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 23, 2015

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

lornekates posted:

OK ... still sounds like bullshit to me though.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

OldTennisCourt posted:

In all fairness as I recall most of the cheers were over him making sure Batista, who was everyone knew was going to a part-timer, didn't win the Rumble plus he wasen't being crammed down people's throats. Like people are saying, Roman's not TERRIBLE, he's just nowhere near ready.

Last year had the anti-Batista effect for sure, and I think that also shows how the Shield was so over and helped Reigns a lot. Ambrose/Rollins do the sweet technical poo poo, then Reigns looks kickass hitting his power moves, everyone wins. Now he's on his own and still greenish, without a cover.

PassTheRemote posted:

Part of it was how Roman won. That rumble was bullshit, Kane and Big Show eliminate most everyone at the end, not Reigns. They eliminated people by both of them picking people up and throwing them out with no resistance. It was one of the most anti-climatic and gently caress finishes ever. It felt like Reigns did not earn the win, he was handed it, hell Reigns was not booked that strong in this rumble. That rumble was terrible, and the fans were voicing their displeasure at that.

That's the heart of it really: handing it to him. What got me is the situation with Daniel Bryan at Fast Lane: they put the match together because people wont stop chanting for the lil guy, Roman went over totally clean, and became the first person to cleanly kick out of Bryan's running knee to boot-its like they were spitefully telling Bryan's fans to deal with it and shut up.

Anyway this is getting totally not related to Internet Critics at this point so back to PSP haha.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They were just a couple of song writers who came to Ishtar to break into pro wrestling.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

........ that's what I linked to. In the text that you quoted.

:|

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

lornekates posted:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

These are a pro-click, if you've got the time. The title is a bit hyperbolic, but in the Age of Upworthy it only ranks about a 4.0 on my highly-tuned Clickbait-O-Meter.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
New Matthewmatosis on Super Mario 3D World

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jimbot posted:

I've never in my life watched a Wrestle, but god drat, I could listen to Max Landis talk about anything

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

lornekates posted:

........ that's what I linked to. In the text that you quoted.

:|

My bad, I thought you linked the video version of the articles. To make up for it here's her latest video, where she reviews The Evil Within and talks about Moot leaving 4chan and mentions Lowtax and somethingawful. I wonder if she's a goon. https://youtu.be/4h5-s1NiaXg

edit:

Someone made a gamergate card game.

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/gamergate-the-card-game

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 23, 2015

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Random but important question: Does Richard Harris count as a one-hit wonder, and if so, is there any chance Todd will ever cover Macarthur's Park on One Hit Wonderland?
Camelot seems to have been a hit, so maybe not.

I'm still hoping he'll do something--anything--on Warren Zevon. He was my favorite non-Weird Al musician growing up, and I'd like to see Todd's take on him.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Keromaru5 posted:

I'm still hoping he'll do something--anything--on Warren Zevon. He was my favorite non-Weird Al musician growing up, and I'd like to see Todd's take on him.

Warren Zevon is too well-known and respected a musician for him to be a great subject for a OHW episode, I think.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Cubey posted:

Warren Zevon is too well-known and respected a musician for him to be a great subject for a OHW episode, I think.

If he won't do Modest Mouse he won't do Warren Zevon.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Well, bleh.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

I wouldn't count him out entirely, Todd does seem to be running out of Halloween-themed OHWs.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

poparena posted:

I wouldn't count him out entirely, Todd does seem to be running out of Halloween-themed OHWs.

IIRC he actually said that last Halloween.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can think of a couple of possibilities for Halloween-themed OHW reviews. The Crazy World of Arthur Brown ("Fire") may be an option; "I Put A Spell On You" by Screamin' Jay Hawkins could be another.

I remember being in HMV and seeing this Halloween-themed box set from the people who do the "100 Hits" compilations, and you had all this stuff like "I Want Candy" by Bow Wow Wow on it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

lornekates posted:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

I dunno, there was something about this series of essays that just didn't sit right with me. Maybe it was the 'yes, I'm a feminist, but I'm not one of those sorts of feminists' theme, and maybe it was paragraphs like this one:

quote:

Sarkeesian, interestingly, fulfils both stereotypical female roles. She's an attractive, modestly sexualized woman beta male gamers can "protect," thereby assuming a traditionally male role they may rarely get to fill. In her own way, Sarkeesian personifies the "damsel in distress" that she so frequently criticizes. At the same time, her persistently negative focus sets her up as the destroyer of fun that perpetuates the idea that men are the "real" gamers: the assumption that gaming needs to change to be more welcoming to women presupposes that it is currently primarily for men. Now, I won't deny that some developers really need to get the memo that women are gamers too, but those guys are in the minority of the developers I've encountered. Still, there's an implied benevolence in humouring Sarkeesian's recycled theories which defuses any real threat to the assumed male hierarchy in gaming. Note that I'm offering this hypothetical as a potential mindset for Feminist Frequency's supporters.

I'm having difficulty articulating my discomfort, but there's definitely something weird and itchy about those articles.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo, "beta males"? What the gently caress is she talking about?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
If anyone actually uses the terms alpha/beta males sincerely that's one of the key phrases that lets you know you can safely ignore everything else that person says.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Basically, while she seems moderately self-aware and seems to acknowledge that there is a fair amount of misogyny being thrown at Sarkeesian and her ilk, hers and the Gamergaters' criticisms do seem to come from very similar places. This line is especially telling:

quote:

Video games are art, and art should not censor content simply to appease extreme North American political beliefs.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Darth Walrus posted:

Sarkeesian, interestingly, fulfils both stereotypical female roles. She's an attractive, modestly sexualized woman beta male gamers can "protect," thereby assuming a traditionally male role they may rarely get to fill. In her own way, Sarkeesian personifies the "damsel in distress" that she so frequently criticizes. At the same time, her persistently negative focus sets her up as the destroyer of fun that perpetuates the idea that men are the "real" gamers: the assumption that gaming needs to change to be more welcoming to women presupposes that it is currently primarily for men. Now, I won't deny that some developers really need to get the memo that women are gamers too, but those guys are in the minority of the developers I've encountered. Still, there's an implied benevolence in humouring Sarkeesian's recycled theories which defuses any real threat to the assumed male hierarchy in gaming. Note that I'm offering this hypothetical as a potential mindset for Feminist Frequency's supporters.

I hate gamergate related posts but god, this is a creepy thing to write about a real person.

Sarkessian is a "damsel in distress". :stare:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Beta male is a stupid term but there are definitely some guys out there that think they're going to get laid defending their mlady or whatever online. Anybody that's ever played a female character in an mmo could tell you that.

I kinda wonder if that's why anita wasn't in that "invisible benefits" video. I bet she's creeped out by quite a few of her own male supporters and won't go near them. I know I wouldn't.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 23, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Beta male is a stupid term but there are definitely some guys out there that think they're going to get laid defending their mlady or whatever online. Anybody that's ever played a female character in an mmo could tell you that.

I kinda wonder if that's why anita wasn't in that "invisible benefits" video. I bet she's creeped out by quite a few of her own male supporters and won't go near them. I know I wouldn't.

Don't be shy, just write "white knight".

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Nah there are a lot of people that are just legitimately good and don't like seeing women harassed online but I'm not naive enough to think they're all that mature.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Basically, while she seems moderately self-aware and seems to acknowledge that there is a fair amount of misogyny being thrown at Sarkeesian and her ilk, hers and the Gamergaters' criticisms do seem to come from very similar places. This line is especially telling:

But she does back this up with the whole Dragon Age example. They were probably so afraid of criticism from Anita or people from her camp they basically removed the Desire demons and Compassion spirits as they were previously established because they were fit outside their comfort zones. She went into the whole body shaming thing, given that Liana K identifies as a sex-positive feminist I can see how that stuff would grind her gears. But back to Dragon Age, I was half and half with her Iron Bull example. If Iron Bull were a woman the gaming press would have probably had a meltdown but she worded it like that was all he was about. Beyond the sex n' violence attitude he was a window into qunari society from a place where they weren't up their own butt about it.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 23, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I think "nice guy" fits better than white knight for that example.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jimbot posted:

But she does back this up with the whole Dragon Age example. They were so afraid of criticism from Anita or people from her camp they basically removed the Desire demons and Compassion spirits as they were previously established because they were fit outside their comfort zones. She went into the whole body shaming thing, given that Liana K identifies as a sex-positive feminist I can see how that stuff would grind her gears. But back to Dragon Age, I was half and half with her Iron Bull example. If Iron Bull were a woman the gaming press would have probably had a meltdown but she worded it like that was all he was about. Beyond the sex n' violence attitude he was a window into qunari society from a place where they weren't up their own butt about it.

She assumes that. Unless I missed something, she doesn't back it up with specific evidence. And her paragraph on Cole was, again, super weird:

quote:

Meanwhile, the character of Cole, Inquisition's anthropomorphised spirit of compassion, is gendered male. This is despite compassion being traditionally seen as a feminine trait. As awesome a character as Cole is, he's male... just because. There's no compelling reason he couldn't have been female. It's stuff like this that makes the changes to Dragon Age lore seem less like a logical refining of the game and more a reactive change to Feminist Frequency's brand of public pressure... and trust me, it kills me to say that. Overall, I love the work of David Gaider and his team.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

She assumes that. Unless I missed something, she doesn't back it up with specific evidence. And her paragraph on Cole was, again, super weird:

True, but a lot of these videos on both camps make assumptions based on what they see or perceive. I think she made her opinion clear on the whole thing and there's nothing really weird about it. She sees compassion as a feminine trait so why is the embodiment of it a guy? If you played Dragon Age and talked to Cole to the point of him revealing his backstory, you can probably guess why.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tracula posted:

I think "nice guy" fits better than white knight for that example.

I'm quite sure that "nice guys" morphed into MRAs. They had to go somewhere.

Darth Walrus posted:

Ironically, she seems to subscribe to unconscious gender stereotyping herself. By her wording, a male character not fitting a masculine mold or a feminine role given to male character is bad because there's an agenda behind it.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Oh boy, I think I'm going to have some fun reading that poo poo when I get home tonight.

I've yet to read a single "thoughtful" critique of Feminist Frequency yet. So far what you guys have quoted is the dumbest poo poo I've read yet trying to pass itself off as "intellectualism". And I don't want to write one because I know some loving Gamergater is going to run with it because not one of these "critiques" is actually, well, a critique. It's just a straight up attack on the mere existence of criticism and how harmful and evil it is that this mean woman is picking on our precious vidyas :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

poparena posted:

Possible, but I still think it'd not be a very good OHW. Anyone who cares enough about music to watch something like OHW surely already knows everything there is to know about Zevon, which to me kinda defeats the purpose of a show that's supposed to be about one-hit wonders that nobody really thinks about or knows much about.

• Locked thread