Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

MONKET posted:

I wonder if his hair just naturally grows turquoise.

Even when he's done being a hoodlum he's still wearing that magenta puffy vest. I like how his bike has deteriorated too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If it doesn't, he put a lot of effort into dying his beard and eyebrows before coming to meet with the writer in the bar. :v:

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
weh

Douk Douk fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 18, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Amorphous Blob posted:

Even when he's done being a hoodlum he's still wearing that magenta puffy vest. I like how his bike has deteriorated too.

If you scope the vehicles in the bar, they've actually all deteriorated/been destroyed.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Beat the first two stages tonight mostly with some good luck on who was attracted by gunshots; stage 3 is far too open given that enemies have sight lines BVR. Still, the music means I don't get frustrated.

Really after HLM1's boss with the loving panthers I'm just expecting that for all of HLM2.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Shumagorath posted:

Beat the first two stages tonight mostly with some good luck on who was attracted by gunshots; stage 3 is far too open given that enemies have sight lines BVR. Still, the music means I don't get frustrated.

Really after HLM1's boss with the loving panthers I'm just expecting that for all of HLM2.

Nothing in this game is as bad as the original's boss fight.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
When you beat the game, can you go back through previous levels with different people? Would kind of like to do some of the levels with the Twins/Corey again but they weren't an option the first time.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Rookersh posted:

When you beat the game, can you go back through previous levels with different people? Would kind of like to do some of the levels with the Twins/Corey again but they weren't an option the first time.

You can only use different fans on Fan levels, different Jakes on Jake levels, different guns on Soldier levels, etc. No Swans on Dead Ahead unfortunately

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Anal Surgery posted:

You can only use different fans on Fan levels, different Jakes on Jake levels, different guns on Soldier levels, etc. No Swans on Dead Ahead unfortunately

Oh god no, that would be the worst. Imagine trying to hit the guys behind the shipping containers using Ash, or trying to bumrush them with Alex's chainsaw. You wouldn't even be able to beat the first screen.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

King Vidiot posted:

Oh god no, that would be the worst. Imagine trying to hit the guys behind the shipping containers using Ash, or trying to bumrush them with Alex's chainsaw. You wouldn't even be able to beat the first screen.
I want to play Dead Ahead as Tony. I could do it. I believe in the strength of my friend, Tony. Someone please remake Dead Ahead and let me be Tony.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Moltrey posted:

I want to play Dead Ahead as Tony. I could do it. I believe in the strength of my friend, Tony. Someone please remake Dead Ahead and let me be Tony.

Good luck getting past the first screen with any melee-only character.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Pharmaskittle posted:

I really don't get the complaints about the first game's boss fights. They're not THAT hard.

Broken Cog posted:

Just dodge bullets until they run out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

I replayed the first game after beating 2, because I lost my save when I got my new rig. gently caress that boss fight forever.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Broken Cog posted:

I appreciate it, but that will not be needed. I have my fists and a tiger mask.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Anatharon posted:

I really don't get the complaints about the first game's boss fights. They're not THAT hard.

Just dodge bullets until they run out.

they reload

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

they reload

Yes, and?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Didn't they actually change the boss fight so that Ninja Woman throws an unavoidable throwing star if you stay behind the pillar when her fight starts? I seem to recall that being the case, and I definitely don't remember her doing that when I first played the boss fight back around release time.

So yeah, gently caress that final boss.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

Dead ahead hard mode. The whole thing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The devs didn't program melee deaths for those enemies. It's one of several holes in the conditionals that are a part of why the levels are siloed this way. It's also why the chainsaw enemy on Hard Subway is such a dick move.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I have a hard time picking who is the most badass or best at killing. Jacket is still no. 1 in my heart, and you could argue that he can do all the things the masks can do unto himself, so I don't see why you'd say Tony is stronger if they can both punch people to death in the right circumstances. I think maybe Richter? He kind of reminds me of Mike from Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul. I really love playing as the fans, though. Maybe just because they wear masks, but there's not enough mask wearing in this game. I am legitimately sore that The Son manages to kill so many.

Evan is cool in a Batman way, and I wonder honestly where the hell he learned to do what he can do.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 23, 2015

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
The true ending of HM1 is when the mob boss kills himself and his bullet kills you too because you were too close to him.

Firstborn posted:

Evan is cool in a Batman way, and I wonder honestly where the hell he learned to do what he can do.
Perhaps Evan is just embellishing details for his book. Not like there's any reliable narrators in this entire series.

aeglus fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 23, 2015

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Anatharon posted:

The biker fight is fine, the mob boss fight is just obnoxious because you have to do every stage of it over if you die. The most gimmicky fight in 2 is the rooftop drugs fight because of the flashing eyes, and you respawn right before it so it's no big deal.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

Dead ahead hard mode. The whole thing.

I guess? I don't take bonus modes into consideration.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Should I go replay HLM1 or go through HLM2 Hard Mode? Decisions.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

The devs didn't program melee deaths for those enemies.

Yes, and? are you implying Tony can't deal with em anyways?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

so you can't get them to run out of ammo. Even ignoring what DV said there's no way to close to melee range and hope to survive.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I like the idea of Tony in a RIP AND TEAR SUCH HUGE GUTS sort of way, but I love the melee weapons and stuff in this game.

Also, Son's Katana execution. Does he hump you a little bit or is it just me? I don't mean to be that sort of guy, but I can't imagine how else to parse that animation.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

I guess? I don't take bonus modes into consideration.

The HM boss fight is not really that bad, the only point where you should be in any danger of dying is right after you kill the ninja girl and have to run behind the pillar. Otherwise you can just wait for the boss to reload and pop out a throw a knife at him.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Firstborn posted:

I have a hard time picking who is the most badass or best at killing. Jacket is still no. 1 in my heart, and you could argue that he can do all the things the masks can do unto himself, so I don't see why you'd say Tony is stronger if they can both punch people to death in the right circumstances.
Because Tony sees a fat guy walking around and can punch him to the ground and beats him to death. Jacket looks at that fat man and gets his balls rocked if he ain't packing a 12 gauge. Tony looks at a three story building full of mobsters packing God knows how many illegal firearms and never once considers dropping his brass knuckles to use something as pathetic as weapon. Guns are just crutches. Fists are all you need.

He's the strongest motherfucker in the world, bitch.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Reminder that Jake can also punch people to death, and he can do it with style. :madmax:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah, Jake can do everything Tony does and he gets nunchuks. Not to mention deadly stuff-throwing and a sweet nail gun.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

By far the hardest part of the first game's final boss is avoiding the suicide shot.

Is there any hint at all as to who freaked the Biker out? It couldn't have been Jacket since he was in jail.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Amorphous Blob posted:

By far the hardest part of the first game's final boss is avoiding the suicide shot.

Is there any hint at all as to who freaked the Biker out? It couldn't have been Jacket since he was in jail.

It was pretty obviously Richard.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Amorphous Blob posted:

I figured it was a visitation from Richard.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's just a lotta fun to go in with Tony and kill everyone with your FISTS and walk right out. I can't say if it's better than Jake's NUNCHAKU skills, but he's a :freep: so

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Grapplejack posted:

It was pretty obviously Richard.

Fuligin posted:

I figured it was a visitation from Richard.

Oh right Richard as in the creepy chicken hallucination.

I wonder why he went back to Miami then. It sure as hell wasn't for 200 bucks.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

cock hero flux posted:

The HM boss fight is not really that bad, the only point where you should be in any danger of dying is right after you kill the ninja girl and have to run behind the pillar. Otherwise you can just wait for the boss to reload and pop out a throw a knife at him.

The best way is to let the girl crawl up near the boss before you finish her then just stand literally right next to the boss until he has to reload each time you run to throw a knife at him then run back to him to coach his shooting of an empty room.

But yes remember to run away once he decides to kill himself. Sneaky Russians.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I'm going to stick with my verdict for Richter being the "most killingest", given some of the crazy poo poo he has to do right at the start of his levels.

Evan is probably best at... whatever it is that he does, though. batmanning?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The Biker bit in the first game where it first rewinds to play as him was just an amazingly perfect way to introduce his character. The whole game you're used to Jacket's lovely apartment where he has barely anything besides the essentials, it's a wonder that he has a spare bed.

Then Biker's got purple carpet, he's got a keytar lying around, he's got fake fur rugs, I think he has an aquarium? All little great touches that tell you who he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

That was nowhere as lovely as the two levels leading up to that, though. gently caress those hallways.

• Locked thread