Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you call in they will probably put you on the $50 or so a month basic cable + hbo + internet. Then just dont hook up the tv. its cheaper than internet alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

loquacius posted:

So, I've decided to give this cord-cutting thing a try (non-coincidentally, the weekend after the Verge's cost calculator thing got posted) and am looking into cancelling my Comcast TV service. I found a pretty sweet Internet-only deal on their website, but when I try to go through the process of signing up for it it's not clear from the website's word choice whether I'm replacing my current deal with it or just adding it. (For the record, this is what I see there.) Would signing up for this negate my TV service, or would it just "upgrade" my Internet service and keep the TV service active? If it's the latter and I have to call them, do I have a good shot at convincing them to let me use this promo pricing, or would I have to settle for something less awesome slash more expensive?

Try calling them. Worst case you can state you changed your mind and hang up, best case they give you a better deal.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

loquacius posted:

So, I've decided to give this cord-cutting thing a try (non-coincidentally, the weekend after the Verge's cost calculator thing got posted) and am looking into cancelling my Comcast TV service. I found a pretty sweet Internet-only deal on their website, but when I try to go through the process of signing up for it it's not clear from the website's word choice whether I'm replacing my current deal with it or just adding it. (For the record, this is what I see there.) Would signing up for this negate my TV service, or would it just "upgrade" my Internet service and keep the TV service active? If it's the latter and I have to call them, do I have a good shot at convincing them to let me use this promo pricing, or would I have to settle for something less awesome slash more expensive?

You should probably just call them.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

T-t-t-talk to a p-p-p-person?

:vince:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

TheScott2K posted:

Actually if you do this you may want to record your call, particularly if they offer you something different from what's on the website (which despite saying "online only" isn't really). Last time I called them to switch plans the rep lied to me and offered me a plan that doesn't actually exist. After about 10 hours on the phone with Comcast they threw enough bill credits and such my way to sort of make things match up, but ugh.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

T-t-t-talk to a p-p-p-person?

:vince:

Just tried for half an hour to do exactly this and failed

Apparently "24-hour service" means "24-hour service, unless you are trying to pay us less money, in which case the office you just had to call three different numbers and sequence-break our phone maze to actually reach is closed, try calling while you're at work instead" :suicide:

Like, to even get their phone robot to give me the "remove services" option I had to press # instead of 1 or 2 three different times and it got increasingly agitated at me each time

e: Also removing services via live-chat on their website is apparently not possible. "Chris" (probably also a robot) just told me to call them.

e2: I'll try calling them again tomorrow but I keep hearing horror stories that they just keep billing you your old rate and pretend the call never happened. Think I'd have any better luck actually going to an office?

loquacius fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 22, 2015

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I will never try to call Comcast about anything again. Every person I talked to online or on the phone gave me a different answer about a service issue. I finally walked in to a service center and gave them my boxes and canceled the TV service. They were the only helpful people in the company. It can't hurt to walk in and ask but if you do make any changes get the plan in writing. I don't even know if that's a thing they do but I don't trust them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Doobie Keebler posted:

I will never try to call Comcast about anything again. Every person I talked to online or on the phone gave me a different answer about a service issue. I finally walked in to a service center and gave them my boxes and canceled the TV service. They were the only helpful people in the company. It can't hurt to walk in and ask but if you do make any changes get the plan in writing. I don't even know if that's a thing they do but I don't trust them.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I never had an issue with Comcast customer support. I call every 6 months and ask to cancel my service, and they give me a new promo for 6 months. Yes, ideally I would like to have a promo price for life but business is business. I haven't paid more than $80 a month for digital cable + internet in years.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Protip: turn off auto-billing before you attempt any of this. If you do not, you'll have a bunch of weird bills where charges seem to be random, and once they have your money, good luck getting it back.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Why would anyone give Comcast access to their account

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Welp sling just died.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Photex posted:

Welp sling just died.

I'm currently watching El Rey.

Is it possible for individual channels to die?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm currently watching El Rey.

Is it possible for individual channels to die?

Is there any good content on El Rey?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jose Oquendo posted:

Honestly, most people would probably only like The Director's Chair (Robert Rodriguez interviews his friends - currently up John Carpenter, Guillermo Del Toro, Quentin Tarantino, Francis Ford Coppola)

But I love Lucha Underground and all the weird movies they run. Even Miami Vice in HD is fun to put on in the background.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you like 1960s-1980s movies made in Hong Kong it's the premier channel (although they're mostly dubbed).

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Only every single thing on El Rey.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Using their PC app through a HTCP and yes, I've checked it. I'll check it with a Fire stick that I have in another room, maybe the two are not equal. For a baseline I think Dish and Cable look like poo poo as well, or it could be that I've got a "gently caress off" sized screen.

I finally got around to putting the Fire stick on my main screen for Sling. I toyed with switching between a 2.4ghz and 5ghz connection to the router and let it buffer/run for ample amounts of time on several channels. Still looks bad, not impressed. I really wanted this to be a thing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Well, the price they quoted me was $67 for 25Mbps, which is highway robbery, and apparently I was also on contract at my current rate for more than a year so there's a $140 cancellation fee. If I calculate forward the total costs up until when the contract would run out, I'm still a few hundred dollars ahead if I cord-cut, though. :toot:

Considering just cancelling outright and asking my fiancee to sign up as a "new user" to get promo pricing. Would this mean our service would get interrupted for several days, though? Because that'd be a problem.

e: Also I have a Roku question. Assuming my wireless router is relatively recent and high-quality (it is), would only being able to stream over WiFi be enough of a bottleneck that I should buy a Roku 3 instead of the Roku stick? How's the stick's HD quality?

loquacius fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 24, 2015

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

loquacius posted:

e: Also I have a Roku question. Assuming my wireless router is relatively recent and high-quality (it is), would only being able to stream over WiFi be enough of a bottleneck that I should buy a Roku 3 instead of the Roku stick? How's the stick's HD quality?

Roku stick's video is fine, but holy hell the UI lags. It's really meant to be a chromecast competitor and not a full on streaming device. Just pony up for the roku 3 if you're using it a major streaming source, and not a chromecast-esque receiver for your phone.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

So I got to play with the Playstation Vue service today at work. It works like Netflix in that when you first start up a stream it isn't full HD but very shortly it ramps up. The version we have shows bandwidth used by the stream and the 720p stream used 5.2Mbps. Honestly if they roll it out in my area and they support more than just the Playstation 3/4 I would look into it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

god this blows posted:

So I got to play with the Playstation Vue service today at work. It works like Netflix in that when you first start up a stream it isn't full HD but very shortly it ramps up. The version we have shows bandwidth used by the stream and the 720p stream used 5.2Mbps. Honestly if they roll it out in my area and they support more than just the Playstation 3/4 I would look into it.

Does it have a full on-demand library, or just what you save to your DVR?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Does it have a full on-demand library, or just what you save to your DVR?

There was quite a bit of on demand but being that we are one of the CDN providers it might all show up. I didn't get to spend a long time playing as I had work to do. Maybe some other time I'll check out the on demand.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Playstation Vue has a very impressive array of content but it's also $50 a month. I could get cable for that. :colbert:

Just set up my Roku and watched Better Call Saul over Sling. Feeling pretty good about this move. :cheers: I did end up deciding to get an HD antenna for live broadcast-network TV, though; it's kind of weird that Sling doesn't have that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

loquacius posted:

Playstation Vue has a very impressive array of content but it's also $50 a month. I could get cable for that. :colbert:

Just set up my Roku and watched Better Call Saul over Sling. Feeling pretty good about this move. :cheers: I did end up deciding to get an HD antenna for live broadcast-network TV, though; it's kind of weird that Sling doesn't have that.

Live broadcast tv is really hard since the affiliates are all separate entities. Thats a lot of deals to work.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

Live broadcast tv is really hard since the affiliates are all separate entities. Thats a lot of deals to work.

It strikes me that when and if any IPTV company gets big enough to pull off something like that they'll probably be As Bad As Comcast :smith:

Also I'm a little mad that it's only at this point in the process (wherein the only thing left to do is drive to a Comcast office to give them back all their poo poo) that I realize HBO Now is Apple-TV-exclusive. What the gently caress v:mad:v Guess I have to use my parents' HBO membership to sneak my way onto HBO Go again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

loquacius posted:

It strikes me that when and if any IPTV company gets big enough to pull off something like that they'll probably be As Bad As Comcast :smith:

Also I'm a little mad that it's only at this point in the process (wherein the only thing left to do is drive to a Comcast office to give them back all their poo poo) that I realize HBO Now is Apple-TV-exclusive. What the gently caress v:mad:v Guess I have to use my parents' HBO membership to sneak my way onto HBO Go again.

It's a timed-exclusive. Just a few months IIRC.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

loquacius posted:

Unlike cable though, the limitation of competition on IPTV is just the content providers and whatever deals they'll offer the iptv companies. You won't get screwed by IPTV providers because there's only one that serves your neighborhood at least. Sony, sling, presumably apple, etc. will have to compete against each other. The comcasts/TWCs of the world will still get to sit back and charge you whatever because that's all you have, including for internet.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's a timed-exclusive. Just a few months IIRC.
Three months, to be exact. So, it'll end towards the end of July.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Well guess I'm gonna have to pirate the new GoT season until then. I can't use HBO Go on my parents' subscription because they have moved since the last time I did that, and HBO Go doesn't know how to process that information. By all accounts I can find on the Internet, fixing this would take hours on the phone with Comcast until they find someone to talk to me who knows what the hell HBO Go even is, from my parents' phone while pretending to be one of them. Which doesn't sound fun.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

loquacius posted:

Well guess I'm gonna have to pirate the new GoT season until then. I can't use HBO Go on my parents' subscription because they have moved since the last time I did that, and HBO Go doesn't know how to process that information. By all accounts I can find on the Internet, fixing this would take hours on the phone with Comcast until they find someone to talk to me who knows what the hell HBO Go even is, from my parents' phone while pretending to be one of them. Which doesn't sound fun.

You can't just log in to Comcast's website under their account and use that to authenticate HBO?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

loquacius posted:

I don't think that's right.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If your parents have hbo on their comcast account then you just use their login details, it doesn't matter where they live.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Is borrowing mom and dads HBO go the millennialest thing?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

You can't just log in to Comcast's website under their account and use that to authenticate HBO?

This is what I see when I try to do that.

Searches on that error message point me toward posts on the Comcast forums where a common thread seems to be that it has occurred among people who have moved since first using HBO Go, because of some weirdness on Comcast's back end when customers move; my parents have, in fact, moved recently. If there's a way to fix this apart from calling on my parents' phone and waiting until I get connected to someone who knows what HBO Go is, I would love to hear it.

PuTTY riot posted:

Is borrowing mom and dads HBO go the millennialest thing?

(a) yes, (b) if they just gave me a way to pay them for it directly I'd do that :colbert:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

loquacius posted:

if they just gave me a way to pay them for it directly I'd do that :colbert:

https://order.hbonow.com/?camp=NowM51

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Scroll up

(AppleTV exclusive until summer)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

loquacius posted:

Scroll up

(AppleTV exclusive until summer)

Derp, that's right. Could spend $80 in a worse place though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I just dropped 90 bucks on a Roku 3 because there's no Sling TV app on Xbox 360; I'm not buying ANOTHER set-top box specifically for HBO :colbert:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

loquacius posted:

I just dropped 90 bucks on a Roku 3 because there's no Sling TV app on Xbox 360; I'm not buying ANOTHER set-top box specifically for HBO :colbert:

The AppleTV reality distortion field compels you!

Seeing that error, yeah, besides calling them to sort it out, maybe you could find someone else who would be willing to let you use their account if you split the HBO bill? But it would probably be easier if more frustrating just to call Comcast and get it straightened out in the long run. Your parents may want to use it anyway one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

Not that this helps you at all, but since I moved it's been basically impossible for me to log into my Comcast account for any reason (most notably, authentication to stuff like ESPN/HBO). I've gone through the routine of calling them, doing a bunch of stupid stuff that I know won't work, getting escalated, blah blah blah a number of times and it ends up working for a week or so. Then it stops working again and I have to call them so they can try to upsell me stuff and continue to not fix the problem.

So Sling TV works on my Xbox One now and I'm planning on calling and getting rid of Comcast entirely, although I'm not really looking forward to that phone call.