Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jan posted:

What's the deal with bacteria at room temperature? I keep reading about how you shouldn't thaw frozen meat at room temperature or in warm water, about how you shouldn't let broth cool down at room temperature, how you shouldn't put hot broth in the fridge to cool it down because it will warm up everything else, etc. I've basically always been doing all of those things and it sounds like massive hysteria to me.

:lol: This shouldnt be passed up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

The day that you get unlucky with loving around with food safety is the day that someone you feed will get sick or die. Why would you not just do things properly rather than risk it?

:qq: it's too complicated to not thaw my ground beef on the counter while I'm at work

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I'm going to Baltimore for a conference at the end of May. I don't know exactly where in Baltimore yet because they haven't posted the conference venue yet, but... I figure I'll ask now.
Hole in the wall local joints are my jam - where should I go?

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Don't get the lake trout, I can tell you that.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

I like turtles posted:

I'm going to Baltimore for a conference at the end of May. I don't know exactly where in Baltimore yet because they haven't posted the conference venue yet, but... I figure I'll ask now.

Brewer's Art, my old restaurant. Lots of awesome local beers.

Also if you go to hampden, there's Blue Pit BBQ, where my old chef is now -- bought the place and does amazing bbq beer and bourbon. I've been out of the area for a long time but I can speak to those.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Let's talk chorizo for a minute. The raw, Mexican kind, not the cured, Spanish kind.

I have only really made a few things with it. Chorizo and eggs, the official Tex-mex breakfast, and I've added it to stuffed peppers as well as refried beans.

I want to make some this week to use in a burrito/taco filling. Suggestions? Shredded chicken? Pork? Beef?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's its own thing - I wouldn't mix it with another meat. I would and do, however, mix it with nopales or zucchini and things like that.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
My personal favorite dish with chorizo is chicken thigh tinga, which I always add a lot of veggies like zucchini to as well ^

I can post a recipe later if you've not got one to go to, but I bet someone here will have a better one!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I like turtles posted:

I like this question, I'm also going to Baltimore for a conference, but I'm going in mid-April to the convention center. I'm going to be renting a car probably, so I'd be able to go pretty much anywhere in the Baltimore area.

I've heard not-so-good things about the area surrounding the convention center. Please don't recommend a place where I'll get mugged in the parking lot.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Bob Morales posted:

Let's talk chorizo for a minute. The raw, Mexican kind, not the cured, Spanish kind.

I have only really made a few things with it. Chorizo and eggs, the official Tex-mex breakfast, and I've added it to stuffed peppers as well as refried beans.

I want to make some this week to use in a burrito/taco filling. Suggestions? Shredded chicken? Pork? Beef?

I loving LOVE chorizo tacos. Probably the most common way of making chorizo into a taco filling besides just doing it raw is chorizo and potatoes.

Which is good, but I'm a big fan of the just chorizo taco.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's its own thing - I wouldn't mix it with another meat. I would and do, however, mix it with nopales or zucchini and things like that.

I'd agree with this. Also just mixing with standard sauteed peppers and onions can't go wrong really.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

A coworker gave me a big bag of vegetables from her garden today and I haven't the slightest idea what this big thing is or what I should do with it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Scratch it with your thumbnail to see what color the flesh is. It could be a variety of beet, it could be a variety of potato, it could be a variety of some other thing.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Scratch it with your thumbnail to see what color the flesh is. It could be a variety of beet, it could be a variety of potato, it could be a variety of some other thing.

bow chigga wow wow.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

I like turtles posted:

The ones mentioned are good so far

Heavy Seas Alehouse isn't really a hole in the wall as such but it's pretty good and has great beer on tap

Piedigrotta Bakery if you like Italian

Stuggy's is a hole in the wall hotdog place that has a poo poo ton of topping and meat options

Or just wander around Fell's Point and barhop and if you see a seafood you want eat it there.

Eeyo posted:

I like this question, I'm also going to Baltimore for a conference, but I'm going in mid-April to the convention center. I'm going to be renting a car probably, so I'd be able to go pretty much anywhere in the Baltimore area.

I've heard not-so-good things about the area surrounding the convention center. Please don't recommend a place where I'll get mugged in the parking lot.

Baltimore is one of those places where your chances of being stabbed vary wildly by street. Really where there's any restaurants you will probably be fine. That would be downtown and Fell's Point.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

The flesh is bright white and the skin is pretty thin. I grew up in the Midwest so I don't know all of these fancy European vegetables.

We also got a bunch of beets so we're making borscht tomorrow :dance:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Soviet Commubot posted:

The flesh is bright white and the skin is pretty thin. I grew up in the Midwest so I don't know all of these fancy European vegetables.

We also got a bunch of beets so we're making borscht tomorrow :dance:

My guess is that it's a crossbred black radish/daikon, then. I'd cut some off and taste it raw. If it is indeed radish, it would probably be great braised or pickled.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Jan posted:

What's the deal with bacteria at room temperature? I keep reading about how you shouldn't thaw frozen meat at room temperature or in warm water, about how you shouldn't let broth cool down at room temperature, how you shouldn't put hot broth in the fridge to cool it down because it will warm up everything else, etc. I've basically always been doing all of those things and it sounds like massive hysteria to me.

Having had food poisoning I understand why it's A Problem, but unless you have rotted meat, sitting out thawing isn't going to do a drat thing. If you didn't cook it properly you may have a problem and room temp/warm water thawing will greatly increase the chances of a problem.

But if you're cooking it, it's fine. There's one or two microorganisms that leave ~toxins~ that take longer than usual cooking times to break down but any other foodbourne illness is killed by the act of cooking, regardless of thawing method.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My guess is that it's a crossbred black radish/daikon, then. I'd cut some off and taste it raw. If it is indeed radish, it would probably be great braised or pickled.

After some googling it appears it's what's called a noir gros long d'hiver in French. Thanks!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Awesome! Enjoy radishing!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Having had food poisoning I understand why it's A Problem, but unless you have rotted meat, sitting out thawing isn't going to do a drat thing. If you didn't cook it properly you may have a problem and room temp/warm water thawing will greatly increase the chances of a problem.

But if you're cooking it, it's fine. There's one or two microorganisms that leave ~toxins~ that take longer than usual cooking times to break down but any other foodbourne illness is killed by the act of cooking, regardless of thawing method.

Or you could just have good food safety practices in the kitchen and not be a gross person that takes an unnecessary risk when it is stupidly easy to avoid?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I have a couple of chickens, so if I slack off for even a few days then all of a sudden I'm up to my ears in eggs. As such, I have like 2 dozen eggs sitting at home and would like to use a ton in a big dish for dinner tonight. I was thinking a quiche would be the right direction but I don't think I have the proper cookware for that. Anyone have awesome recipe ideas that call for like 10 eggs? Maybe an awesome frittata or any sort of skillet dish?

Teeter fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 23, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Teeter posted:

I have a couple of chickens, so if I slack off for even a few days then all of a sudden I'm up to my ears in eggs. As such, I have like 2 dozen eggs sitting at home and would like to use a ton in a big dish for dinner tonight. I was thinking a quiche would be the right direction but I don't think I have the proper cookware for that. Anyone have awesome recipe ideas that call for like 10 eggs? Maybe an awesome frittata or any sort of skillet dish?

There're LOTS of ways to do it, but Rakott Krumpli is a super simple hungarian potato casserole and I love it. Here are two recipes, the first one is better, but I'd still add a little cheese and some onions (caramelized or chopped). You could even futz with the spices and meat and make it some sort of creole thing super easily.

http://unprocessedwithlove.tumblr.com/post/20901883664/rakott-krumpli - you don't need the milk and flour, though.

http://www.hungariantitbits.com/hungarian-layered-potato-rakott-krumpli/

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 23, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Teeter posted:

What's wrong with french toast for breakfast?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

What's wrong with french toast for breakfast?

Absolutely nothing, french toast is one of my favorite things but I rarely cook in the morning and at the moment I'm so backlogged on eggs that I need a dish that uses a ton of them at once. On a related note, I recommend backyard chicken keeping to anyone because it's super easy and they produce more food than I can keep up with.

Drifter posted:

There're LOTS of ways to do it, but Rakott Krumpli is a super simple hungarian potato casserole and I love it. Here are two recipes, the first one is better, but I'd still add a little cheese and some onions (caramelized or chopped). You could even futz with the spices and meat and make it some sort of creole thing super easily.

http://unprocessedwithlove.tumblr.com/post/20901883664/rakott-krumpli - you don't need the milk and flour, though.

http://www.hungariantitbits.com/hungarian-layered-potato-rakott-krumpli/

This looks loving fantastic so I think I will hard boil some of these eggs and give it a try in a few days. Thanks!

Teeter fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 23, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Casu Marzu posted:

Or you could just have good food safety practices in the kitchen and not be a gross person that takes an unnecessary risk when it is stupidly easy to avoid?

I'm sure I've endangered myself and others by not waiting 24 hours for a vacuum sealed piece of meat to naturally defrost and instead introduced it to the filth of running water

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Teeter posted:

Absolutely nothing (aside from me never cooking in the morning), I just need a dish that uses a ton of eggs at once because I'm so backlogged on eggs. On a related note, I recommend backyard chicken keeping to anyone because it's super easy and they produce more food than I can keep up with.

Does it take long to make back the investment of the chickens, housing and feed? I'm curious how financially beneficial keeping chickens is, assuming you're not selling the eggs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Thawing in cool, running water is fine

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Teeter posted:

Absolutely nothing, french toast is one of my favorite things but I rarely cook in the morning and at the moment I'm so backlogged on eggs that I need a dish that uses a ton of them at once. On a related note, I recommend backyard chicken keeping to anyone because it's super easy and they produce more food than I can keep up with.

Is it really? I came very close to living in a house that had a permit for like three chickens and I spent some time reading about it because urban chickens keeping sounds awesome but it looked complicated and difficult. As is my wont to do, I gave up in the face of adversity.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

I'm sure I've endangered myself and others by not waiting 24 hours for a vacuum sealed piece of meat to naturally defrost and instead introduced it to the filth of running water

Yeah, the majority of my meat comes from this home delivery service that flash freezes their meat basically as early up the supply chain as they can. Sometimes I'll get something "fresh" from the grocery store if I don't have enough for another bulk order. If I think about it in advance, I'll thaw it in the fridge, but I don't see how spending 2 hours at room temperature is any better or worse than 3-4 days in those grocery store open fridges. If that were the case, then all the adepts of sous vide would have bigger problems.

But don't mind me, it's easier to shitpost and emptyquote than to try to qualify things like this. Anyone who disagrees is just a gross person.

Jan fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 23, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Paper With Lines posted:

Is it really? I came very close to living in a house that had a permit for like three chickens and I spent some time reading about it because urban chickens keeping sounds awesome but it looked complicated and difficult. As is my wont to do, I gave up in the face of adversity.

If you spend time creating a pipeline up front it's not that big a deal, not any more so for owning any other type of pet that you can ignore 23 hours a day.

And having backyard space helps. My mom used to have 9 or 10 chickens when I was growing up, and only the rooster was loving noisy. It was simple enough to clean the coop and transfer that poop and bits of bedding over to the compost heap for gardening. I didn't like the smell, though, at all, when I had to clean.

The chickens are destroyers of planets, though, and will eat any bug, plant or shadow of a plant that they can reach.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thawing under cold running water is actually a pretty good way to thaw. It's quick, so your food doesn't spend that much time in the danger zone, and it doesn't warm it up as much, so bacterial activity remains (more) limited.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Invisible Ted posted:

Does it take long to make back the investment of the chickens, housing and feed? I'm curious how financially beneficial keeping chickens is, assuming you're not selling the eggs.

Paper With Lines posted:

I only have two chickens which is not really a proper flock, but if I had to average things out then I'd say every week costs me like $2-5 in upkeep and gives me close to a dozen eggs. I don't really do it for the economics so there are definitely better ways to do it if a low $/egg is your goal. For one, a few more chickens would double the amount of eggs for just about the same amount of effort and only a tiny cost increase.

I do not have a rooster so my birds are rarely that noisy outside of the ~9am egg laying announcement and the occasional ruckus if a hawk or something is overhead. It is nothing over all compared to the noise that my neighbors' dogs make. As for upkeep, I usually go out in the morning to toss them veggie scraps from whatever I cooked the day before and spend a few minutes grabbing eggs or topping off their food/water. If I'm running late or feeling lazy then I can skip this and check on them when I get back to work since my birds are lucky enough have free reign over the chicken area in my yard and can let themselves in or out during the morning and night. This isn't ideal in most situations because of predators but the area I'm in is fine and they've gone 2+ years without issue. My coop is pretty easy to clean as I just need to scoop out the larger piles of poo and top off their bedding every once in a while.

All-in-all it's incredibly low effort and gives me access to great eggs so I'm happy with it. People are always amused to hear about my chicken keeping, and there's really nothing better than walking out to the coop when I'm hungry and making a meal out of eggs that are just a few hours old.

There is a thread on the forums about backyard chicken keeping here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417601

Teeter fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 23, 2015

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jan posted:

Anyone who disagrees is just a gross person.

I'm glad we're on the same page, then.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Jan posted:

I don't see how spending 2 hours at room temperature is any better or worse than 3-4 days in those grocery store open fridges. If that were the case, then all the adepts of sous vide would have bigger problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_zone_(food_safety)

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Jan posted:

Yeah, the majority of my meat comes from this home delivery service that flash freezes their meat basically as early up the supply chain as they can. Sometimes I'll get something "fresh" from the grocery store if I don't have enough for another bulk order. If I think about it in advance, I'll thaw it in the fridge, but I don't see how spending 2 hours at room temperature is any better or worse than 3-4 days in those grocery store open fridges. If that were the case, then all the adepts of sous vide would have bigger problems.

But don't mind me, it's easier to shitpost and emptyquote than to try to qualify things like this. Anyone who disagrees is just a gross person.

If you're product is going from frozen to thawed in 2 hours then no, you would be fine regardless. Its the leaving protein out on the counter for an afternoon. The outside warms up right away and continues to get warmer and warmer all afternoon. Depending on the size it could be 6-7 hours. If you simply take some care of your own safety and thaw it in running water, not only will it be ready in a fraction of the time, the running cold water will keep it out of the temperature danger zone.

Or you could start fights on the internet while you're crouched over the toilet all night.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Seriously just thaw your stuff the day before. You only have yourself to blame for not thinking ahead. Or just go ahead and bake those half-frozen chicken thighs, you have a probe thermometer and no sense of well-being.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So I wanted some pointers on anchovies since I've really never used. I definitely want one for use in puttanesca and that extra punch in various things. The other is some eastern European one... there's these mechanics I used to drink with, all Pols, Ukis, etc. I've not seen them in ages, but one of the things I always used to have while drinking was anchovies in some kind of tomato based sauce on bread ( I think rye?). I've got a couple eastern European markets near me but I have no idea what to actually look for, and I've had a killer hankering for kielbasa, the aforementioned anchovies and some dirty bread (this is the best thing in the world if you have never had)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

THE MACHO MAN posted:

So I wanted some pointers on anchovies since I've really never used. I definitely want one for use in puttanesca and that extra punch in various things. The other is some eastern European one... there's these mechanics I used to drink with, all Pols, Ukis, etc. I've not seen them in ages, but one of the things I always used to have while drinking was anchovies in some kind of tomato based sauce on bread ( I think rye?). I've got a couple eastern European markets near me but I have no idea what to actually look for, and I've had a killer hankering for kielbasa, the aforementioned anchovies and some dirty bread (this is the best thing in the world if you have never had)

I'm gonna actually point you to an entirely different subforum here. The Sardine Thread in GBS, they would be able to answer all your tiny tinned fish questions. 56 pages entirely of sardine chat. It's amazing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3618400&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I thought I had seen that thread around recently but did not see it on any of the live pages in gws. Thanks!