Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Downloaded a bunch of mods...now trying to load my game blue screens my computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

I made a thing!
Its probably not very good, and it takes up way too much space., but it has (some) left exits and is multi-levels.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/changelog/412536109

edit:
Also this thing appeared in my town:

Alpine Mustache fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 23, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Do I need to manually make metro routes in both directions around my city loop.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yes. Unfortunately.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hrmph.

The game's public transport route UI definitely needs an overhaul. Putting the route colour option right there, adding a checkbox for 'this route runs bidirectionally', a 'complete this route' button...

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Geirskogul posted:

I've run into a problem, or bug (?) where I can place more roads, but they're not zoned for anything. As in, I can't put buildings next to them, and there are no tiles to zone.

It's not solely location based, either, as I have an incinerator way out in the boonies that's still running, but putting another road next to it is still unzoneable.

I'm going to guess you have the floating road/rails mod enabled. Make sure the bottom button is set to collide when you're putting down normal roads, or it won't add zones properly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm not fond of using mods but I really want slip lanes.

EDIT: WHAT THE gently caress WHERE DID ALL THE DEAD PEOPLE COME FROM WHAT IS GOING ON

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Wish they'd let you make music mods. I'd like to add music to this game. :(

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

That canals map is horrible if you want to go from Point A to Point B and want a straight line. Some of those hills are just too steep and require switchbacks for drat nearly everything. :( Every single wiggly-rear end road in my current city is due to a 'slope too steep' complaint:

also oh god through traffic is getting worse what do i do help

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

INITIATE OPERATION EMERGENCY BURNER

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Awaiting dachau mod

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

On the bright side, I've nearly unlocked Grand Central Station.

Even though it's just a tourist attraction and not a functioning station. Really missing rewards that actually do something.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

That canals map is horrible if you want to go from Point A to Point B and want a straight line. Some of those hills are just too steep and require switchbacks for drat nearly everything. :( Every single wiggly-rear end road in my current city is due to a 'slope too steep' complaint:

Mwahahah thats the whole point. Prevent large grids from forming due to landscape irregularity.

I also enjoy that lake of solid poop you have there.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Noyemi K posted:

I just use Steam's built in music player (turn the in game music all the way down, of course). If you got the deluxe edition, you can add the Skylines music to your playlist. I've got Simcity SNES, 2K, 3K, 4, & Hotline Miami soundtracks all rolling as I build my poo poo-topias. :banjo:

EDIT: I do have a question: I have a 5 point intersection of all 2 way streets that's pretty bad with traffic, though it never gets backed up really. I decided to try switching it to a roundabout, and THAT caused backups about 3 blocks deep. Any thoughts on how to alleviate the congestion there?

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 23, 2015

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

How do we know they're evil? Because they're in black trucks, riding single file, and tailgating.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

M_Gargantua posted:

How do we know they're evil? Because they're in black trucks, riding single file, and tailgating.

And I bet they're all eating apples

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Noyemi K posted:

Game needs the SC3K soundtrack. All of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkMZtXFdlso

Also, the title theme to my first city builder. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxSYzCesxfU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Orgophlax posted:

I just use Steam's built in music player (turn the in game music all the way down, of course). If you got the deluxe edition, you can add the Skylines music to your playlist. I've got Simcity SNES, 2K, 3K, 4, & Hotline Miami soundtracks all rolling as I build my poo poo-topias. :banjo:

EDIT: I do have a question: I have a 5 point intersection of all 2 way streets that's pretty bad with traffic, though it never gets backed up really. I decided to try switching it to a roundabout, and THAT caused backups about 3 blocks deep. Any thoughts on how to alleviate the congestion there?

Give us a shot of the intersection?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Well, I hit about 150,000 people on my map, which means that the 3x speed is only slightly faster than 1x. I'm pretty much completely out of space to expand now.

http://imgur.com/a/LKRIP

I'm ready for the Sim Coptor mod.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Am I weird for wanting high-speed two lane roads for country highways? Alternatively 4-lane country highway with grass median.

This is something that I've wanted quite a bit for the past couple of days, but as far as I know it's impossible to mod roads. Please just give me two lanes with 60-70 MPH speeds.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Give us a shot of the intersection?

Watching it the few seconds it took to grab the shots, it does seem to flow pretty well, so maybe I don't need to do anything to it really.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So basically any time I use more than a few mods eventually my game gets "corrupted" or something. Eventually saves won't load, I won't be able to make a new game. I can load assets but not make new ones, but even then loading an asset will stop working. I don't get a crash so no logs, the game just sits there loading. The little chirpy loading screen keeps spinning and spinning but no progress. Gets about 5% done then stops.

The mods I'm using:

Infinite oil and ore
No Pillars
Zonable ped paths
Fill The Houses
Slow Citizen Aging
Slow Trash Production

I had a bunch more but I've stripped them down. Even without activating or de-activating or subscribing to anything new the game will just suddenly start doing this and the only fix is a re-install. Is it the mods some how doing this or just my game?

gently caress it, I've stripped out a bunch more mods now, down to only Infinite Oil and Ore. I just want to play the game :(

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Orgophlax posted:

Watching it the few seconds it took to grab the shots, it does seem to flow pretty well, so maybe I don't need to do anything to it really.

Just keep in mind that red doesn't necessarily mean bad, just high traffic. If you have a road that is always being used, but people are still getting through it fine it will show up red. A few of my roundabouts are permanently in the red, but there's no traffic building up on them and they're flowing smoothly.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The simplest solution, space permitting is to simply branch off one of the entrances to the intersection.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

The colours seem to be average speed rather than traffic load. I've got a roundabout on one road with only two exits (agents can only go straight), and despite everyone going straight through and there being no traffic lights, it shows as red because everyone slows down for the roundabout, while the rest of the road is green.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The simplest solution, space permitting is to simply branch off one of the entrances to the intersection.

This works some of the time, sure, but you also wind up with situations where you have too many intersections. You can't time lights, so having one larger intersection is usually better than having two intersections right by each other on different timers, which usually means that traffic just sits for even longer.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, true. It'd work better in real life!

Man, trying to find a map I wanna play and I just keep opening maps, looking around, going "Ehhhh", and going back to main menu. I don't even know what I want, so I should just pick something and go with it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is it just me or do tourists not really give you anything besides additional congestion? Just checked my budget and in a city of ~50k with tourist stuff everywhere I'm getting like $500 a week from tourist income (meanwhile I'm probably paying $10k a week for the special buildings that attract them).

I guess they pay for public transport too, but I have it set to free in my city so they're just taking taxpayer resources :argh:

Not a big deal as money isn't too hard to come by, but still.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

I think there's a Korn song for this. Don't even know what to do about it besides have a million cemeteries.

Is that normal? Hahah. If I build a second bus depot will I get twice as many buses on each line?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think a second bus depot would do anything as the one depot is perfectly capable of adding a bunch more buses if you create a new line. It's normal to have lots of people queuing up for the bus stop. As for the dead people, it's really annoying that crematoriums don't seem to pull their own weight. I have 3 cemeteries and they are all full. I can't empty any of them because then that somehow keeps the seven crematories I have from doing their job.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 368 days!
i tried to build a welcoming little burg but

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I love that park so much.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Duck and burger posted:

I think there's a Korn song for this. Don't even know what to do about it besides have a million cemeteries.

Is that normal? Hahah. If I build a second bus depot will I get twice as many buses on each line?

The problem is that your route is covering too many high demand spots. Until you can individually adjust how many vehicles are on each route your best bet is going to be breaking this route down into multiple smaller ones, which should result in a larger amount of buses servicing the area.

Also, for what its worth I don't think that bus depots have any limit, they exist more to decrease the time it takes your buses to get to their routes.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The problem is that your route is covering too many high demand spots. Until you can individually adjust how many vehicles are on each route your best bet is going to be breaking this route down into multiple smaller ones, which should result in a larger amount of buses servicing the area.

Also, for what its worth I don't think that bus depots have any limit, they exist more to decrease the time it takes your buses to get to their routes.

Hm. Guess I could try that. I think I'm hosed either way. It's a high-density island built on two-lane roads. It's not backed up for days with commuters or anything, though. Just dead bodies everywhere.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
It's annoying how every person that moves into your city is an uneducated adult.

It's like that 2005 movie The Island, where the clones are told they're survivors of some calamity, but every time a new clone gets stored there, they're newly grown out of some lab and are incapable of basic tasks, needing to be trained up.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SynthOrange posted:

Mwahahah thats the whole point. Prevent large grids from forming due to landscape irregularity.

I also enjoy that lake of solid poop you have there.

Your map revents large grids, eh?

In all seriousness I've done a lot of expanding since I took those pictures and I do try to avoid the grid stuff, at least outside of heavy industrial zones (or at least non-logging industrial zones because it just looks right to have winding dirt roads in those) just because it looks more interesting to have wiggly lines, or at least a curved grid.

I'd open the game to take some newer pictures, but I'm afraid the next 5 hours of my life would disappear if I did. :v:

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I am.. not exactly getting better at these :v:

VotGs
Dec 15, 2003

Don't mind me.

wesley snypes posted:

i tried to build a welcoming little burg but

What park/statue is that?

We need more statues and fountains and things for parks and monuments.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VotGs posted:

It's a unique building you get, I think that one is for filling three cemeteries?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

VotGs posted:

Statue of death in front of hall of oppression (which is the closest thing to a city hall we have)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
People are adding Skyrim's daedra statues (which make for sweet center pieces of parks for my little districts.