Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Okay...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Everyone on MODO has a ton of sodium in their diet.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I wasn't aware I was playing Final Fantasy 8.

Laugh.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Boco_T posted:

Has anyone played a good amount of Tiny Leaders yet? I'm tossing together a budget deck (Pianna Mono White Tokens) just to have one and since I haven't actually played I'm worried that the deck has very few things to do on turns 1-2. Are a lot of the decks in the format super fast? I managed to whittle the list down to 50 cards and basically ended up with 18 3s and 14 total 1s and 2s.

Maybe since it's so "top heavy" I should find a further cut or two and go up to 19-20 lands.

I've only played one game (my Omnath vs his Daxos) but I don't know about fast, since it's still a singleton format and you can't guarantee drawing your best card(s) right away. That game took us a good 20-30 minutes and we were both ostensibly aggro decks :shrug: Maybe post your list and we can see how to speed it up? 20 lands seems high, in tinkering with my own lists I haven't wanted to go above 18 lands but I have been able to keep my mana curve less top-heavy than yours.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

I wasn't aware I was playing Final Fantasy 8.

Laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ZXp_5M_7c

Petition Square-Enix to make this the official playin' Magic song.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ZXp_5M_7c

Petition Square-Enix to make this the official playin' Magic song.

You know Jace is basically Squall, right?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

C-Euro posted:

Maybe post your list and we can see how to speed it up? 20 lands seems high, in tinkering with my own lists I haven't wanted to go above 18 lands but I have been able to keep my mana curve less top-heavy than yours.
I guess mine is more of a midrange deck where I plan to block some early and try to stabilize the board until I can get to a critical mass of tokens to start attacking:
https://deckbox.org/sets/932434

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Toshimo posted:

Magic Origins is going to show us that all of the planeswalkers grew up in the same orphanage, and forgot

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Jace's Gunblade
Legendary Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature has "T: choose 1 --
    Fateseal 1
    Draw 3 cards, then put 2 cards from your hand on top of your library
    Return target creature to its owner's hand"
Equip 1

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Toshimo posted:

Except Squall is awesome and has the most perfectly ridiculous weapon.

Jace would be improved 300% by a gunsword..

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

JerryLee posted:

Jace's Gunblade
Legendary Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature has "T: choose 1 --
    Fateseal 1
    Draw 3 cards, then put 2 cards from your hand on top of your library
    Return target creature to its owner's hand"
Equip 1

Give it Living Weapon and "Equipped creature has Haste" or no sale.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Attorney at Funk posted:

Magic Origins is going to show us that all of the planeswalkers grew up in the same orphanage, and forgot

Except Gideon remembered all along and didn't bother to bring it up until long after they all reunited, for some reason.

I hope that the basketball court is a sweet 5-color land of some kind.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Prerelease brag incoming
Traded Azusa Lost But Seeking, 2 Amulet of Vigor, 4 Hordeling Outburst, 2 KTK tri-lands for entry into two sealed pods.

First pod I open promo Atarka, Sarkhan, play straight RG, 3-1 with Hard'serker letting me cast Atarka for the win round 4, game 3.
Opened a Narset from the first prize pack. Traded Narset for 25 store credit, traded 25 store credit to player for Ugin and 2 Warden of the First Tree.
Traded Sarkhan, promo Atarka and Ashcloud Phoenix for Ensnaring Bridge, Vindicate, 2 Kolaghan's Command, Draconic Roar.
Second pool I lose handily and drop at 1-2. Oh, in my second pool, one of the DTK packs contains Silumgar, foil Dromoka, the latter of which I'm still working on trading.

Never doing another 10+ hour event again though unless there's money in it, and even then I'm gonna need a small team to keep me fed, watered and boozed up. poo poo was exhausting, but lordy, the value.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tubgoat posted:

Prerelease brag incoming
Traded Azusa Lost But Seeking, 2 Amulet of Vigor, 4 Hordeling Outburst, 2 KTK tri-lands for entry into two sealed pods.

First pod I open promo Atarka, Sarkhan, play straight RG, 3-1 with Hard'serker letting me cast Atarka for the win round 4, game 3.
Opened a Narset from the first prize pack. Traded Narset for 25 store credit, traded 25 store credit to player for Ugin and 2 Warden of the First Tree.
Traded Sarkhan, promo Atarka and Ashcloud Phoenix for Ensnaring Bridge, Vindicate, 2 Kolaghan's Command, Draconic Roar.
Second pool I lose handily and drop at 1-2. Oh, in my second pool, one of the DTK packs contains Silumgar, foil Dromoka, the latter of which I'm still working on trading.

Never doing another 10+ hour event again though unless there's money in it, and even then I'm gonna need a small team to keep me fed, watered and boozed up. poo poo was exhausting, but lordy, the value.

So Azusa/2 Amulets/4 Outburst/2 tri-lands -> Ugin/2 Warden/Bridge/Vindicate/2 Commands/Roar/Silumgar/foil Dromoka? That's some fine wheeling and dealing but the most surprising part of that story is how expensive Amulet Combo pieces have gotten. $40 Azusa :stare: Wonder if that spiked too late for Wizards to put it into MM2015?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

C-Euro posted:

So Azusa/2 Amulets/4 Outburst/2 tri-lands -> Ugin/2 Warden/Bridge/Vindicate/2 Commands/Roar/Silumgar/foil Dromoka? That's some fine wheeling and dealing but the most surprising part of that story is how expensive Amulet Combo pieces have gotten. $40 Azusa :stare: Wonder if that spiked too late for Wizards to put it into MM2015?
I'm pretty sure Azusa was worth a lot already because of "competitive" EDH.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GonSmithe posted:

I'm pretty sure Azusa was worth a lot already because of "competitive" EDH.

There's nothing competitive about mono-green unless you're competing to be the person watching everyone else play after your elimination.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The competitive EDH tier list burns are back babay!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
If only there were some new cards that could go straight into green EDH decks.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I traded for Azusa a very long time ago at around 4 USD, and then was shocked to find her at 50 one day last month, only to settle around 40. I wanted to play her, but it turns out every loving card in that deck is dumb expensive, which sucks balls because I want a Crucible of Worlds almost badly enough to pay for one (but never at 30).

Edit: The shop I traded her to (Mead Hall) assumes she'll be in MM2.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I won alot this weekend, probably opened up about 55 prize packs over 4 events and I have a binder full of terrible DTK bulk rares to show for it. There is so much trash in a big set. And this set especially is SO friggin top heavy.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Went to 4 prereleases this weekend.

Ojutai - 1-3. http://deckstats.net/decks/110/216090-ojutai-pre-release-3-21

My white was super shallow outside of Anafenza and I had 6 red removal spells so I tried to go counter/burn and did not do well on anyone who could land a big rear end dragon. Skywise Teachings is really good, cannot wait to draft around it. and Volcanic Visions is so good when you can get back a 5 cost spell.

Silumgar - 3-1 http://deckstats.net/decks/110/216471-silumgar-pre-release-3-21

My favorite deck of all the events. So much synergy plus playing the big dragons was fun too. Only lost to a bonkers ojutai deck that did not have a single non flying creature in it.

Dromoka - 3-1 http://deckstats.net/decks/110/216669-dromoka-pre-relesse-3-22

Cast big stupid dragons and win. Fight with big dumb dragons and win.

My fourth one was Kolaghan and was the shallowest pool of crap I think I have ever seen. Went 1-2 drop. No color combos gave me enough cards to make a good 23-24 card deck. I think I'm going to take the time to type it all up and post it in the limited thread to see what others would build.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Exploit is such a fun mechanic. Sacrificing a Youthful Scholar to a Vulturous Aven and drawing 4 cards feels like you're doing something unfair.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I like how Silumgar Sorcerer is either a 2/1 with flying and flash for 1UU, or it can be Cancel. Both of which are fine. Exploit working with itself is great, and I hope someone finds a way to exploit (heh) some of the better ones, like Sidisi's

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm wondering about Silumgar Sorcerer in the sideboard of a tokens deck. Converting a token to an opposing Siege Rhino sounds pretty nice.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Can you kill the exploit creature while the exploit trigger is on the stack and theoretically make it impossible for your opponent to exploit?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sotar posted:

Can you kill the exploit creature while the exploit trigger is on the stack and theoretically make it impossible for your opponent to exploit?

Basically making killspells double as counterspells in certain situations, yes.

I like it a lot. It's A Good Mechanic.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
It is apparently creature spells, not all spells. This was pointed out to me by local players. I think it'd be constructed playable if it was any spell.

Also, if you killed the creature with exploit while it's trigger is on the stack, don't they still get the effect?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tubgoat posted:

It is apparently creature spells, not all spells. This was pointed out to me by local players. I think it'd be constructed playable if it was any spell.

I'm not sure control decks want a Cancel that has the side effect of turning your opponent's otherwise-dead creature removal into a Negate. That's quite a significant downside to have on your "unconditional" 3-mana counterspell.

It'd be amazing for blue devotion if it could counter sweepers though.

E:^ you still get to sacrifice a creature if you want to, but since the Exploit creature itself is no longer around you don't get the "when you exploit a creature..." part even if you do choose to sacrifice something.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Tubgoat posted:

Also, if you killed the creature with exploit while it's trigger is on the stack, don't they still get the effect?

No, they can choose to sac a creature to the exploit trigger when it resolves, but the creature with "when ~this~ exploits a creature..." triggered ability is not around anymore to see it.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I think Otujai was my favorite clan to play at the prereleases. The 1/3 that becomes unblockable and +1/+0 probably did the most damage out of anything I had.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sotar posted:

Illusory Gains also works this way and is a sick anti exploit play. Pissed off quite a few opponents with that this weekend, though it is hosed hard by dash.

Speaking of salt this might be the best topdeck I've ever seen:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Fish Of Doom posted:

Exploit is such a fun mechanic. Sacrificing a Youthful Scholar to a Vulturous Aven and drawing 4 cards feels like you're doing something unfair.

Weirdly, I sacces Shambling Goblin to Silumgar Butcher several times for -4/-4, and Palace Familiar to Vulturous Avan for 3 cards, but never the other combinations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My favourite combo of the weekend was Flamerush Rider + Vulturous Aven. It is also kindof crazy with Ambuscade Shaman.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Boco_T posted:

Has anyone played a good amount of Tiny Leaders yet? I'm tossing together a budget deck (Pianna Mono White Tokens) just to have one and since I haven't actually played I'm worried that the deck has very few things to do on turns 1-2. Are a lot of the decks in the format super fast? I managed to whittle the list down to 50 cards and basically ended up with 18 3s and 14 total 1s and 2s.

Maybe since it's so "top heavy" I should find a further cut or two and go up to 19-20 lands.

I've been getting some games in with my Alesha deck which is pretty much straight aggro with a Human subtheme, and it has done pretty well. Here's the decklist. I've played against Kemba and Shu Yun, so far. (Everyone in my store likes Kemba, apparently.) It seems like most people go for aggro strategies with the odd Sygil (mill) or Hanna (pillowfort). The more popular generals from what I can gather are OG Anafenza, Shu Yun, Geist of Saint Traft, and Kemba. (Notice what color they all have in common.)

As for your deck specifically, I'd recommend a Monastery Mentor, Blade Splicer, and maybe Champion of the Parish if you have them. Take out a couple of your anthem effects (Mobilization?) because one or two is usually enough to push enough damage give your token generators. (Plus, your general is one, anyway.) And mana is really at a premium. Hell, you may even want to maindeck Ghostly Prison just for how good that is at stalling your opponent until you out flank them.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

For mono white, I'd recommend councils judgement Mirran crusader in a heartbeat. White suns zenith, secure the wastes and martial coup could be good additions, alongside artifact stuff like sword of x and y!

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
I had a very good time playing Dragonlord Kolaghan and splashing blue for Dragonlord Sliumgur (and for Stratus Dancer). We had 20 people at my pre-release and I managed to get 2nd place going 4-1 (I was draw downed my final round and because of that I missed 1st by less then .5%). I tried to build my deck around dashing but sadly I didn't get much use out of it till the final 2 matches but I had fun overall and played one of the Dragonlords each game but the final.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

I won alot this weekend, probably opened up about 55 prize packs over 4 events and I have a binder full of terrible DTK bulk rares to show for it. There is so much trash in a big set. And this set especially is SO friggin top heavy.

The EV of this set is outrageously bad. Especially when you consider its just buoyed by a bunch of likely overvalued Planeswalkers.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
My buddy who pulled the foil Treasure Cruise when we opened that box went to the prerelease in my stead, and pulled a foil Anticipate as well. It's apparently also a $15 card...is there any rhyme or reason to these foil blue commons being so valuable? I get Treasure Cruise, but for the life of me I can't figure out Anticipate, which seems like a more limited Peer Through Depths.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

InterrupterJones posted:

My buddy who pulled the foil Treasure Cruise when we opened that box went to the prerelease in my stead, and pulled a foil Anticipate as well. It's apparently also a $15 card...is there any rhyme or reason to these foil blue commons being so valuable? I get Treasure Cruise, but for the life of me I can't figure out Anticipate, which seems like a more limited Peer Through Depths.

Impulse is actually a really good card.

(Anticipate isn't quite as good, obviously, but it's still the best cantrip we've had in Standard for a while.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

InterrupterJones posted:

It's potentially modern playable if control ever becomes viable. It's better than Serum Visions and it lets you take a land or creature, unlike Peer Through Depths.

• Locked thread