Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

I can't tell you how many times I've heard "If I pick up another shift, I'll actually LOSE money!" I don't suggest trying to explain our tiered tax system and how it balances out at the end of the year to co-workers, though. I usually just get a blank look and them repeating "LOSE money!"

This isn't what I meant BTW. Just saying, when you don't pull those kinds if hours frequently and are not used to the deductions, the money you get on payday seems like it should be more. Yes you get it back later, but the immediate gratification is less than you imagined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

I can't tell you how many times I've heard "If I pick up another shift, I'll actually LOSE money!" I don't suggest trying to explain our tiered tax system and how it balances out at the end of the year to co-workers, though. I usually just get a blank look and them repeating "LOSE money!"

loving idiots. In no country in the world do you lose money by making more. Those idiots just don't realize you're getting taxed that one paycheck like you're going to make that amount the entire year. So when you dont you get your fat refund.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I wish I got paid overtime. On 4 of 4 right now, 24 hour shifts. Then again I get paid when I'm not doing poo poo, watching netflix in bed :smug:

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
My hospital has been giving a high census bonus. So it basically goes: base pay + night diff + weekend diff + overtime + high census bonus ($20/hr)

Feels good man.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Day nine: I have spoken with the pyxis and learned that it loves us and just wants to be understood.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Roki B posted:

Day nine: I have spoken with the pyxis and learned that it loves us and just wants to be understood.

My accudose tells me to screw off and gives me a cabinet error.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Etrips posted:

My hospital has been giving a high census bonus. So it basically goes: base pay + night diff + weekend diff + overtime + high census bonus ($20/hr)

Feels good man.

Holy poo poo, how high does census have to be for a $20/hr bump? That is crazy.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Etrips posted:

Feels good man.
Your bonus is close to my base starting rate. Also, what the hell is your census to get that kind of need?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Our hospital is constantly at capacity and they stopped giving bonuses. Critical patients sitting in the ed is the price of maximizing census.

Healthcare profiteers.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

We flew a patient to the William P. Clementer Jr. hospital in Dallas yesterday. Never in my life have I seen such an amazing hospital in my life. I think that it opened up in January, and it was the first time I've ever stepped in a hospital that was so up to date.

It was also kind of weird to see the hospital as a ghost town, I didn't see a single patient in any room on the multiple floors we visited.

Also, the patient rooms had 50 inch televisions, every single room where we transferred our patient.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 22, 2015

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Ravenfood posted:

Your bonus is close to my base starting rate. Also, what the hell is your census to get that kind of need?

Pretty much at max capacity all the time. The surrounding hospitals have been diverting their traffic, so we are the only place that is accepting. That combined with not having enough nursing staff.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Bum the Sad posted:

loving idiots. In no country in the world do you lose money by making more. Those idiots just don't realize you're getting taxed that one paycheck like you're going to make that amount the entire year. So when you dont you get your fat refund.

My charge nurse just told me he got a raise and lost money. Ok buddy.

I'm going to go get lit at the bar immediately after this shift, concluding my overtime. Vegas rules for AM drinking.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
whoops.jpg

Annath fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 22, 2015

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Annath posted:

Friend told me that they got themselves a geen-you-ein Ebola patient at the hospital she works at.

They were keeping him in an isolation section of the ER until they figured out what to do with him.

Kill it with fire.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Roki B posted:

Kill it with fire.

She's working today, till 11. I'll ask her for an update tomorrow morning.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Annath posted:

She's working today, till 11. I'll ask her for an update tomorrow morning.

it's pretty easy to narrow down who you're talking about if he's the only pt in the country at the moment. While im interested in hearing about it, I wouldn't want to see your friend fired for a hipaa breach

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Cacafuego posted:

it's pretty easy to narrow down who you're talking about if he's the only pt in the country at the moment. While im interested in hearing about it, I wouldn't want to see your friend fired for a hipaa breach

Only patient in the country? drat. Well I'll drop it then. Thanks for the heads up.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 19, 2016

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

New to this school thing (it's been a while)

I'm a bit lazy and learning quickly about procrastination

yikes

Best of luck to you. Make friends, drink well, don't slack off.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.
How do people get through nursing school without a basic understanding of the immune system and immunizations?

Cross-posted in the Idiots on Social Media thread, but I wanted to put it up in here too, just so I could ask if this is something that is prevalent in the profession and if so - loving how? How can you be allowed to work in the medical field without a basic understanding of medicine? I'm only in my first clinical semester so maybe I'm naive, but what the ever loving gently caress?

(Also, she doesn't have a masters, she barely graduated her ADN program.)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

apathetic JAP posted:

How do people get through nursing school without a basic understanding of the immune system and immunizations?

Cross-posted in the Idiots on Social Media thread, but I wanted to put it up in here too, just so I could ask if this is something that is prevalent in the profession and if so - loving how? How can you be allowed to work in the medical field without a basic understanding of medicine? I'm only in my first clinical semester so maybe I'm naive, but what the ever loving gently caress?

There was a woman in the first semester of my nursing program who was skeptical of at least the flu vaccines. I say skeptical because her attitude was basically "I get the flu every year, so why bother getting the vaccine? Also god knows what else is in them".

To her credit, she was receptive to the facts when they were presented coherently, and ended up getting the vaccine.

Now, how much of that was truly due to education, and how much was due to the school flat out telling her "you WILL get the flu shot or you WILL be kicked out of school" is anyone's guess.

chinchilla
May 1, 2010

In their native habitat, chinchillas live in burrows or crevices in rocks. They are agile jumpers and can jump up to 6 ft (1.8 m).

apathetic JAP posted:

How can you be allowed to work in the medical field without a basic understanding of medicine? I'm only in my first clinical semester so maybe I'm naive, but what the ever loving gently caress?

Possibly because the only thing an ADN learns about vaccines is how to get them from the vial into the syringe into the patient?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Littlepuppingtoto posted:

Can you pleaseeee tell me how you got into this?
I want to do informatics. I am working to be an EPIC superuser and I've been told that's the "first step," but then what??! Is there a point in getting the Master's degree?

Risky posted:

I'd like to know this as well. I finish up my RN this year after being an LPN for 6 years. After I get more experience I'd like to branch out into something like this since I have a good background with computer systems.

Sorry for the late reply. I landed my nursing informatics job mainly through networking. I was a friend of a friend of the department manager, and I chatted him up about it from time to time while I was still working bedside. He reached out to me when he had a position open up but at that point I had just transitioned to ICU so I told him no thanks. Roughly a year later I saw a job posting for his department, reached out to him. A week later had an interview and then the job.

Becoming a superuser is a good first step because it shows that you might give a poo poo about the EMR. Find your informatics department and tell them you'd like to be a tester, as we are constantly making changes and need people to test them and offer suggestions. That's probably the best way to get your foot in the door. Once you do that, network your way into a position.

Don't waste your money on a Master's in informatics until you've shadowed someone for a bit or worked the job for a while. A Master's is no guarantee that you'll land an informatics position without experience and I don't think it would make you any better at the job. I had my associate's when I landed this job but a background in tech support. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try and answer them.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

chinchilla posted:

Possibly because the only thing an ADN learns about vaccines is how to get them from the vial into the syringe into the patient?

I'm in an ADN program (cheaper to get that and then get a BSN) and we had to take microbiology to be considered for the program. The curriculum contained an entire unit on vaccinations, and it was included (though not as in depth) in our A&P II class as well. We didn't leave the classes with a masters in immunology or anything, but I'm knowledgeable beyond "derp, here's your delicious autism shot."

Unless the prerequisite standards in Jersey are wildly different than the ones in PA, I don't see how she could have avoided it.

edit: too many "masters."

apathetic JAP fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 23, 2015

chinchilla
May 1, 2010

In their native habitat, chinchillas live in burrows or crevices in rocks. They are agile jumpers and can jump up to 6 ft (1.8 m).
Oh, I didn't realize it was a big part of microbio. I've been though the bio 1 / chem / a&p bits about vaccination which are pretty easily glossed over.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone
It's part of microbiology. In addition, I know it's been lectured on a few more times in Nursing classes in my traditional BSN program (probably due to the anti vaxxer movement). In Pathophysiology and Adult I (Med-Surg). I thought the whole thing of Nursing was to be a critical thinker, but I guess some people never learn that.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

One of the nurses I worked with refused the flu shot because of her fear of the government putting types of nanotechnology in them.

She thought that the Government at some point might put viruses that change our DNA and cause us to do horrible government things.

Generally speaking though, nurses as a whole don't engage in healthy habits anyways, nor are they anywhere near the poster children of health. I'm not all surprised to see a few nurses in this world jumping on the anti-vaxx bandwagon.

I learned that from my masters degree :smug:

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 23, 2015

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

MurderBot posted:

One of the nurses I worked with refused the flu shot because of her fear of the government putting types of nanotechnology in them.

She thought that the Government at some point might put viruses that change our DNA and cause us to do horrible government things.

What? I can't...I just...what?

Did she state that reason officially for declination? Was her ability to make good decisions as a health care professional and possibly as a functioning human being immediately called into question? Does she still have a job providing notatallcrazy care to patients?

quote:

I learned that from my masters degree :smug:

:roflolmao:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

apathetic JAP posted:

What? I can't...I just...what?

Did she state that reason officially for declination? Was her ability to make good decisions as a health care professional and possibly as a functioning human being immediately called into question? Does she still have a job providing notatallcrazy care to patients?

:roflolmao:

She just wrote "personal reasons" I believe. She was a decent nurse all around, and I know she was a big advocate of vaccinations, but for some reason the flu shot was the way the guvment was gonna get you. All that happened is she had to wear a mask at all times in the E.R unless she was in the break room. I think when people do this whole "the government is out to get me" they must get a booklet of things they need to believe, are tested on the material and then handed their anti-gov card. You can't just pick and choose, you gotta go 100% in.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

MurderBot posted:

She just wrote "personal reasons" I believe. She was a decent nurse all around, and I know she was a big advocate of vaccinations, but for some reason the flu shot was the way the guvment was gonna get you. All that happened is she had to wear a mask at all times in the E.R unless she was in the break room. I think when people do this whole "the government is out to get me" they must get a booklet of things they need to believe, are tested on the material and then handed their anti-gov card. You can't just pick and choose, you gotta go 100% in.

I suppose as long as she isn't discouraging vaccinations in general I can't fault her skills as a nurse. It's just hard to reconcile the two things (being a HCP while also believing the flu shot, or any vaccination, is an evil gubmint conspiracy) in my brain.

I wonder why nursing students have to get a flu shot no matter what their belief system is but actual licensed nurses, CNAs, etc., who have far more patient contact and more chances to pass on an infection, don't. It's never made sense to me.

Maybe eventually they'll start requiring it as a condition of hire. A few hospitals around here won't hire you now if you come up positive on a nicotine test. You can't even wear a patch at work. Zero tolerance. If they can dictate your nicotine habits now they surely can dictate your immunization schedule (barring a legitimate allergy or medical reason, of course), right?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Possibly, the big thing to remember is that anti-vaxxers, fat people, smokers and anti-flu people aren't protected classes, so any private industry can say "we don't wanna hire smokes, fat people or those who don't take the flu shot."

The problem is that smoking is commonly seen as a bad thing, even by smokers themselves, so when companies say "we don't hire smokers" an overwhelming majority of individuals will say "good for you guys! you're so progressive."

This isn't the case with fat people and anti-flu shot people. While being fat is slowly starting to take the trail that smoking did to become globally disliked, there's still a large body *lol* of people who preach fat acceptance, love me for who I am, blah blah blah and all that poo poo. Same with anti-flu vaccine people. While there is a lot of data that shows the flu shot is incredibly important for health care providers, a lot of people refuse to believe the benefits. So limiting employees to those who will take the flu shot would definitely bring a lot of back-lash to the company. That plus it's also seen as taking away the freedom for individuals to choose what they want inside of their body.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

MurderBot posted:

That plus it's also seen as taking away the freedom for individuals to choose what they want inside of their body.

Booze and nicotine, please.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Roki B posted:

Booze and nicotine, please.

I think energy drinks need to be there as well.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

MurderBot posted:

I think energy drinks need to be there as well.

gently caress, you're right. I forgot to mention nice coffee.

I've become the de facto unit supplier of quality coffee because I refuse to drink the hospital's (admittedly free) sewage-roast. Many nurses are slowly coming to the realization that caffeine delivery fluid can be delicious. Those that drank only hospital provided have had to adjust to the caffeine increase with amusing results.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Well, just found out the accelerated BSN program I was hoping to start in May has been canceled, along with potentially all their future programs at satellite locations. This sucks.

Already signed up for an info session at one of the community colleges that offer a concurrent enrollment with state universities so you can still earn the BSN. plus it's about a 1/3 the cost of where I'd applied. Only problems are that it's probably not accelerated, might have a very long wait list, and I'm ready to start on this yesterday.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
So I may have just failed one too many tests unless I get a 90 on the next exam and possibly the final. I hate nursing school......

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

White Chocolate posted:

So I may have just failed one too many tests unless I get a 90 on the next exam and possibly the final. I hate nursing school......

RIP

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone

White Chocolate posted:

You can do it! :)

but even if you do fail a class, I've known many of my classmates who have failed a class, repeated it and then kicked rear end the rest of the program.

but yes nursing school sucks and i hate it so much.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

White Chocolate posted:

Well the world needs ditch diggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirp
May 16, 2007
Hope you enjoy working in LTC the rest of your career if you do end up passing.