Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

K. Waste posted:

I didn't care for Key Largo.
Are you informally going through the Bogart catalog right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Dickeye stream the sex tapes

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Coaaab posted:

Are you informally going through the Bogart catalog right now?

I somehow ended up promising my dad that we'd watch all of the Bogart/Bacall films. I don't regret it at all, but it was definitely an even 50/50 split as far as quality and interest. We also saw The Treasure of Sierra Madre along the way, which is insanely good.

Basically, my completely impertinent ranking goes:
1) The Big Sleep ('45 cut)
2) Dark Passage
3) The Big Sleep ('46 cut)
--- bare minimum threshold of quality ---
4) Key Largo
5) To Have and to Have Not

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

K. Waste posted:

I somehow ended up promising my dad that we'd watch all of the Bogart/Bacall films. I don't regret it at all, but it was definitely an even 50/50 split as far as quality and interest. We also saw The Treasure of Sierra Madre along the way, which is insanely good.

Basically, my completely impertinent ranking goes:
1) The Big Sleep ('45 cut)
2) Dark Passage
3) The Big Sleep ('46 cut)
4) Key Largo
5) To Have and to Have Not

To Have and Have Not is the one where she teaches him to whistle, right? How can you not like that?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So I'm finally watching The Wire and the delivery of "Unless the report indicates that he is in fact the messiah come again" and "are you the second coming of our savior" is just loving magical. I'm dying laughing.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

So I'm finally watching The Wire and the delivery of "Unless the report indicates that he is in fact the messiah come again" and "are you the second coming of our savior" is just loving magical. I'm dying laughing.

It is a good show

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm finally starting up getting through The Wire again. Only 8 episodes until I can no longer be one of those people that has not seen The Wire!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Skwirl posted:

To Have and Have Not is the one where she teaches him to whistle, right? How can you not like that?

I honestly probably would have liked it a lot better if I hadn't seen Casablanca first. That being said, To Have and to Have Not played for me a lot like a proof of concept for Casablanca. It just felt too dry for me as a thriller. Even Bacall and Bogart's sexual chemistry didn't really rally me into what was going on.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

K. Waste posted:

I didn't care for Key Largo.

Edward G. is the bomb in it. I don't remember much else.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Edward G. is the bomb in it. I don't remember much else.

Exactly. Like, the film doesn't make any secret that it's not actually about Humphrey Bogart. The problem is that even accepting this it's just a cliche, histrionic condemnation of him instead of an actual exploration. It doesn't even have the vague, populist sympathies of a pre-war Cagney film. Like... the movie even symbolically displaces the slaughter of the Native Americans onto him.

Similarly, To Have and to Have Not is absolutely about Bogie and Bacall, but proceeds to do nothing interesting with them.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

http://youtu.be/6EPPMCwD5bw

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

A real sequel to American Sniper.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
And now, for no reason whatsoever, my ranking of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies:

1) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)
2) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III
3) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)
4) TMNT
5) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What defines the bare minimum threshold of quality? Because I'm trying to compare TMNT3 and Key Largo now

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What defines the bare minimum threshold of quality? Because I'm trying to compare TMNT3 and Key Largo now

The bare minimum threshold of quality is an arbitrary standard somewhere between abject mediocrity and two possibilities: 1) A film's exceptional qualities exceeding its flaws, 2) A film is exceptionally bad to the extent that it becomes good.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

K. Waste posted:

And now, for no reason whatsoever, my ranking of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies:

4) TMNT
How can any of the reboots be above any of the originals? Figure it has to be #1, #2, then "I don't acknowledge this movie"

I have a TV website where I select what shows I watch, then I can pull up a calendar and know when there's an episode. Is there anything like this for movies? I'd love to be able to add say, "Inside Out" to my calendar, and have one calendar entry when it's out in theaters and another when it's on video. Is there a website which does what I need?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

K. Waste posted:

what are you kidding me

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

I'm surprised to see Turtles III so high on that list. I rewatched them all when the new one came out and I felt that was the clear-cut worst one.

I'd go:
1-Turtles '90
2-TMNT
3-Turtles II
^ good ^---v bad v
4-Turtles '14
5-Turtles III

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How can any of the reboots be above any of the originals? Figure it has to be #1, #2, then "I don't acknowledge this movie"

It's not hard, particularly because the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles isn't even that good. If you didn't grow up with it, it still wins you over through its combination of child-like naivete and weird, almost Troma Films-like burlesque undercurrent. But the overarching problem that all the movies share regardless of when they were made is that it's an evidently ridiculous concept staged by filmmakers who, in general, either lack a sense of humor or sanitize it to the level that it becomes indistinguishable from any potboiler superhero movie with mild comic relief. Which is strange because the entire conception of TMNT is that they were a parody of the extreme levels of goofiness that comic books had reached during the '80s dark age.

The 2014 film comes the closest to 'getting this,' where Shredder and the Turtles are very much parodies of exactly the sort of overkill, 'gritty' comic book aesthetic of the '80s and that the film seems to be foretelling the film industry is inevitably snowballing towards. But, again, the problem is that it just 'looks off,' the script isn't really very funny at all.

III comes the closest to being so bad it's good. It's basically the kid version of Army of Darkness, and it weirdly has the best comedic writing out of the entire series.

TMNT and The Secret of the Ooze are just kind of lame kids movies. The story is slightly more interesting in TMNT, but only because The Secret of the Ooze is one-note as gently caress.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

K. Waste posted:

Turtle Talk

Counterpoint: it's called "The Secret of the Ooze".

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Friend has a big art book about movies.

<--- click for big, read caption

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Oh my god.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

No facepalm big enough

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

K. Waste posted:

III comes the closest to being so bad it's good. It's basically the kid version of Army of Darkness, and it weirdly has the best comedic writing out of the entire series.
nah man, just, no way. the mall scene in Ooze's intro is way funnier than anything on III.~

Steve Yun posted:

that's a very nerdy way to talk about movies
specifically nerdy, he probably plays resident evil

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 23, 2015

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Steve Yun posted:

Hahaha that's incredible.

Slice of movie: In a little over 12 hours I'll be watching Vertigo on the big screen, and I'm so loving pumped. I've seen at least part of it, but don't remember anything about it or any plot details, so I'm pretty much going in blind. It's going to be good.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I liked it more than I thought I would, but still think 'abject mediocrity' describes Turtles '14 rather well. And Turles 2: Ooze-fest was one of the few movies where a group of evil people gets knocked down to the sound of bowling pins falling and it didn't bother me.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

K. Waste posted:

4) TMNT

Where do you rank the VHS special about the Comin' Out of Their Shells tour?

Also Vanilla Ice and David Warner, you philistine.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

I liked it more than I thought I would, but still think 'abject mediocrity' describes Turtles '14 rather well. And Turles 2: Ooze-fest was one of the few movies where a group of evil people gets knocked down to the sound of bowling pins falling and it didn't bother me.

Also happens in Matrix Reloaded, fyi.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jack Gladney posted:

Also happens in Matrix Reloaded, fyi.

I should have worded that better, I meant that it's one of the rare movies where it doesn't bother me that they do this.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Slice of movie: In a little over 12 hours I'll be watching Vertigo on the big screen, and I'm so loving pumped. I've seen at least part of it, but don't remember anything about it or any plot details, so I'm pretty much going in blind. It's going to be good.

For some reason when I read Vertigo my mind went to Vertical Limit and I was very confused by your excitement.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

I should have worded that better, I meant that it's one of the rare movies where it doesn't bother me that they do this.

If only the Wachowskis hadn't fallen for their own bullshit by then, Reloaded should've been full of that stuff every time Neo was around because the computer world was his playground. If I had any skill in editing I'd fill that scene with Three Stooges and Looney Tunes sound effects.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
My weekend was full of Ben Mendelsohn. I watched Bloodline and the movie Black Sea and really enjoyed both of them.

I'd watch that lispy gently caress-up in anything.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

LesterGroans posted:

My weekend was full of Ben Mendelsohn. I watched Bloodline and the movie Black Sea and really enjoyed both of them.

I'd watch that lispy gently caress-up in anything.

Watch Starred Up. Not only is he in it but it's pretty drat good.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

therattle posted:

Watch Starred Up. Not only is he in it but it's pretty drat good.

I keep getting recommended that but it keeps slipping my mind. I need to watch it and '71, see what all the fuss is with Jack O'Connell.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

McSpanky posted:

If only the Wachowskis hadn't fallen for their own bullshit by then, Reloaded should've been full of that stuff every time Neo was around because the computer world was his playground. If I had any skill in editing I'd fill that scene with Three Stooges and Looney Tunes sound effects.

I always thought they missed the ball in not exploring what happens to a man when he's an invincible kung-fu God in one reality and a skinny dweeb in another.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

K. Waste posted:

4) TMNT

The animated one is perfectly acceptable.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
lmao that dickeye probation.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I promised a good short today and I am delivering on a good short.

The Short AND Youtube of the Day
Bobby Yeah
I think I've posted about this before but have never been able to just post it. I even showed it in streams a few times because I actually paid money to download it (that option is no longer available). This is one of the best, most utterly hosed shorts I ever did see at Sundance. In a shots program that included that retelling of La Jatee with Uncle Luke and another short that involved Hitler in a gang bang with the Marx brothers, this one topped them all. It is just awesome and you are a fool if you don't watch it. The few that did see it in my streams can vouch for that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thxuug3Fyhs
Warning: Extremely :nws: :nms: and just generally unpleasant on all levels.

Seriously, if you're the type to usually skip these I implore you to give this one a chance. You will not regret it/you will regret it very very much.

JUST loving WATCH IT!
I thought the style looked very familiar and it turns out that the guy who made this also did one of the shorts for ABC's of Death 2. It was really cool.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I don't know how the first Ninja Turtles even passes the bare threshold of quality. The only thing interesting about that movie is that it's a relic from that era when the suburbs were in a moral panic about kids joining gangs, until they realized white middle class kids weren't really at risk and then society promptly forgot about the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Hahaha that's incredible.

Sweeeeeeeeeet. I think I'm in the minority here, but Vertigo might be my favorite Hitchcock.

Fat Lou posted:

For some reason when I read Vertigo my mind went to Vertical Limit and I was very confused by your excitement.

Ha, my friend's dad did some script work on that lovely movie.

• Locked thread