Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Steel Battalion video made me happy and nostalgic in a way that few games related things do. It was, for me, one of the best one-off videos they've done. I loved the lap camera, what a great idea.
If it weren't for the apparent logistical difficulties I'd be asking for a full LP of Woolie shooting beyond range, Pat being too short to reach the pedals, and Liam in an Uhura costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

The Steel Battalion video made me happy and nostalgic in a way that few games related things do. It was, for me, one of the best one-off videos they've done. I loved the lap camera, what a great idea.
If it weren't for the apparent logistical difficulties I'd be asking for a full LP of Woolie shooting beyond range, Pat being too short to reach the pedals, and Liam in an Uhura costume.

It's awesome. The shouts of triumph when they finished the first proper mission brought a smile to my face.

As much as I love the guys yelling at each other about video games, when they're yelling together, towards a common goal there's a really feel-good atmosphere!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Radio Paranoia posted:

It's awesome. The shouts of triumph when they finished the first proper mission brought a smile to my face.

As much as I love the guys yelling at each other about video games, when they're yelling together, towards a common goal there's a really feel-good atmosphere!

"THIS GAME NEEDS FUCKIN' CO-PILOTS" was the highlight of the video, because all the guys were just shouting commands at him.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

"THIS GAME NEEDS FUCKIN' CO-PILOTS" was the highlight of the video, because all the guys were just shouting commands at him.

Hopefully "Conspicuous knob twiddling" will enter the lore soon.

e: Liam and the radio, jeez.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

New RE video is great, Matt's startled yelp of WHAT when the ranged enemy attacks is a highlight for sure :allears:

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Have they all 4 done a co-op game together that wasn't a beat-um up?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm guessing next week is super robot week.

Silentman0 posted:

They put a bunch of stuff on hold for Real Robot week, I'm guessing in about a month.

Oh, well gently caress me, then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPGB-AWwSnk

That loving SRW opening oh god.

Silentman0 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 23, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm already calling bullshit for calling them super robots

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
"Realistic" mechs are the best mechs IMO

Kinda :laffo: that they put Shogo in realistic mech week though

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Silentman0 posted:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Silentman0 posted:

AHHHHH, THAT INTRO!

I only ever played the first Zone of the Enders, not sure why I never got around to playing the second one.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Oh my god that intro is the loving BEST.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Ohh, this first couple of minutes where they're talking about Kojima and Silent Hills is making me a bit sad though.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
OMG YESSSSSSSSSS

ZOE2

HYPE AS poo poo

Also that intro was the best ever.

gently caress you Beyond Two Souls, you piece of poo poo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

This may have been the happiest I've seen them.

Not that I blame them, of course.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That intro is fuckin' magnificent. I hope you pay that dude well, Matt. I actually applauded when Pat started his attack :v:

Zaibatsu Gigaton KILLBUSTER is a perfect final attack for SBF.

I half-hope that if they actually do SRW this week, it's just them watching highlight attack reels from various games and marking out

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

ZOE2 is so good it's crazy

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The Hypest intro in introland.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Captain Invictus posted:

I half-hope that if they actually do SRW this week, it's just them watching highlight attack reels from various games and marking out

It'll start out just as a solo Liam video, slowly, quietly moving around robots in some random mid-game level right before a route split. Then, Woolie bursts in and screams NO, and then the video is just them and Pat watching the Best-Of of the entire series' attacks.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Silentman0 posted:

Perfection.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bdb1V0Io_g&hd=1

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The fact that Madhouse is the one animating it is perfection.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
HNNNNNGHGHGHGH SO FUCKIN' HYPE

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man. As someone who knows literally nothing about Zone of the Enders except that the mech designs are pretty rad/weird, fifteen minutes into this video and they've not managed to sell me on it at all(or even started playing it). I've never played a Kojima game so I don't have the built-in reverence for everything he touches that most do, so outside of some pretty cool robots and stuff, these cutscenes are the epitome of cliche nonsense anime video game intros to me.

edit: and then I unpause the video and they immediately jump into the game proper. About time!

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Captain Invictus posted:

Man. As someone who knows literally nothing about Zone of the Enders except that the mech designs are pretty rad/weird, fifteen minutes into this video and they've not managed to sell me on it at all(or even started playing it). I've never played a Kojima game so I don't have the built-in reverence for everything he touches that most do, so outside of some pretty cool robots and stuff, these cutscenes are the epitome of cliche nonsense anime video game intros to me.

edit: and then I unpause the video and they immediately jump into the game proper. About time!

Just play ZOE2. ZOE2 just loving feels so good to play. Everything about the way you fight in ZOE2 makes you feel like a badass robot and then the entire last third of ZOE2 is pretty much the goddamn best for reinforcing that.

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

Two things about the intro:
One, Pat needed a lens flare off of his head at least once.

Two, with the loss of hair "anime Pat" is starting to look like a ginger Plague of Gripes. Now I want Pat's new nickname to be "The Red Plague".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

OneDeadman posted:

Just play ZOE2.
Not buying a new PS2 just to play ZOE2 sorry mate

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Captain Invictus posted:

You know the HD Collection exists,right?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Did you not notice that they're playing the HD collection on the PS3 in the video you just watch dude?

Man, if they're starting this week with ZOE 2, what the hell are they going to finish with?

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 23, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

VolticSurge posted:

The PS3 version of the collection got a patch to make it good too

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

VolticSurge posted:

Cool, still not buying it because this looks boring. They're squeeing like fangirls at doing the same thing repeatedly to these ships, saying the Vector Cannon is the best attack ever, etc when it seems to be just pulling a backpack out of hammerspace and firing a halo of Fin Funnels cannon thing. Like dozens of animes do the exact same thing, not sure what makes this that much more amazing to elicit these reactions.

I suppose it just isn't for me, I guess. The mechs are cool but that's about it

Rhonne posted:

Did you not notice that they're playing the HD collection on the PS3 in the video you just watch dude?
Not everyone owns a PS3, what a shocker! And my 360 doesn't work anymore.

edit: lol he died and has to do all that again.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 23, 2015

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Get the gently caress out.

Now.

:colbert:

There is a difference between anime doing and it being able to control a mech and doing it.

DO you know how many games loving failed on making mech games controll well before ZOE?

Gundam games weren't that great back then because how clunky they were and loving ZOE comes in and makes piloting a mech easy and fun.

And you can't just judge it because they are only doing set pieces of the game. There is way more things to do. Those parts are just consider the hypest set pieces they think shows off the game.

edit: Also gently caress you for dissing the Vector Canon. :mad:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 23, 2015

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

Captain Invictus posted:

Cool, still not buying it because this looks boring. They're squeeing like fangirls at doing the same thing repeatedly to these ships, saying the Vector Cannon is the best attack ever, etc when it seems to be just pulling a backpack out of hammerspace and firing a halo of Fin Funnels cannon thing. Like dozens of animes do the exact same thing, not sure what makes this that much more amazing to elicit these reactions.

I suppose it just isn't for me, I guess. The mechs are cool but that's about it
Showing of ZOE 2 is kinda weird because that last third is better than everything before it but it doesn't make much sense without knowing the buildup. And there are some segments before that battleship raid that would not have made for good video material.

I like the game, certainly more than the first (which they were right to skip over), and getting your hands on the controls makes a difference compared to just watching it blind. Though I will admit that for every moment of them being all like "this is the best poo poo ever" I keep reminding myself that From Soft took that game's concept and made more good on it with Another Century's Episode.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shindragon posted:

Get the gently caress out.

Now.

:colbert:
The niche robot game does not appeal to everyone, and that's okay. I think the robots are cool. Nothing else so far in this video looks appealing or very fun. I just skipped ahead and Liam literally said about a black hallway with blue-white lights along the floor and red lights along the ceiling "gently caress! I forgot how cool this place looks!"

I guess this is the first time their enthusiasm has felt overblown to me and that's why I'm having a negative reaction. Like, if they weren't freaking out like it was the second coming(or runner :rimshot:) I'd think "huh, this game looks kinda neat, but not something I want to play". Hopefully you get what I'm saying, I'm sure it's a fun game for some, but it just doesn't look it to me, and their reactions to absolutely everything seem ridiculous. When they're playing 3rd Strike and freaking out at things I can really grasp WHY, but with this, it's just not translating.

edit: quoted before your edit. If they're showing off setpieces, they're just not doing it for me. I'm not buying a new console just to try it out, regardless, so I'll just stop this conversation as it is since I'm not going to try it short of it showing up on Steam.

Also you don't need to get so mad because I think the game you like looks boring. It's pathetic.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 23, 2015

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Who said I was mad? I thought the emoticons were enough for that I was poking fun. If it's the swearing, I tend to use that for emphasizing.

You went out of your way to explain why you didn't like the game and why you had a negative reaction to it.

That's all I need.

Better than most of SA (Games thread)who just do a drive by post without explaining.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 23, 2015

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Yeah I don't doubt that ZOE2 is a really good action game but I've always been lukewarm on giant robot stuff in general, super or otherwise, aside from a few exceptions like Gurren. The hype the Zaibatsu has for this sort of thing is fun to watch but I'm not feeling any real itch to play or watch a bunch of mecha stuff as a result.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Mechwarrior 2 one was an iconic game as well but they had tempered expectations. I feel like when it's their favorite games they get a liiiiiittle bit more crazy-hyperbolic than I like, except for fighting games, because they can convert that favoritism into hype.

It was kind of sad to see everyone not grasp the multiplayer aspects of Metal Warriors even though Woolie was trying to teach them, though I think them just not caring after a point because Woolie was running roughshod over a buncha newbies to it and not really giving them a chance to try stuff out. He'd just waltz up to them as they're still figuring the button layouts with Prometheus or whatever and flamethrower them to death.

It happens in some other fighting games that some might have experience with while others don't, and it can get kinda lovely to watch since they can be pretty cutthroat fighting game players at times.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

TriffTshngo posted:

Yeah I don't doubt that ZOE2 is a really good action game but I've always been lukewarm on giant robot stuff in general, super or otherwise, aside from a few exceptions like Gurren. The hype the Zaibatsu has for this sort of thing is fun to watch but I'm not feeling any real itch to play or watch a bunch of mecha stuff as a result.

I feel strong waves of nostalgia around the ZoE games in general. Honestly my first ever exposure to them was watching Maximilian_ playing it on stream last week. Max and the crew were doing a lot of poo poo talking especially about the voice acting so it was interesting to see the Zaibatsu being especially forgiving, and getting so hype. However I understand completely. I love (for instance) Jazz Jackrabbit more than I love my mother and that game is pretty hot garbage let alone a lynchpin of a genre like the ZoE games seem to be.

Anyway, I am excited to see what's next! Now that ZoE is done, does anyone have any guesses as to what might be coming? They've touched on every Mech franchise I know, short of more Mechwarrior games.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I wouldn't mind if they revisit Metal Wolf Chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Depends entirely on what they think a Super Robot is. There's plenty of mecha games left, but most of them are Real. Then again, they put ZoE as a Super so who the gently caress knows. Probably transformers I guess.