Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Where did Yamcha get his scars from? Did Toriyama ever mention this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

dr.acula posted:

I'd assume it was from his days as a desert bandit.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Raxivace posted:

I'd assume it was from his days as a desert bandit.

He got them sometime during his training before the last tournament of dragonball though, and he gave up banditry much before that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
He got it from Bulma when she broke up with him. She can hurt Goku post-SSJ God with her "signature slaps". Imagine what they do to poor Yamcha.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

dr.acula posted:

he bought them at the Cool Anime Guy Accessories store

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Obviously, he got it from one of the cats Bulma's parents own.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Obviously, he got it from one of the cats Bulma's parents own.

Cat loves food, yeah yeah yeah

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Puar put some sick sparring beatdowns on Yamcha during the offscreen training times

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Yamcha was last seen heading to Korin's to train before the time skip, so it was probably him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maybe Yajirobe kicked Yamcha's rear end.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Yajirobe managed to land a decisive blow on Vegeta. Yamcha got Yamcha'd by a Saibaman.

Yajirobe is the clear winner.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I want to see a Salza and Ginyu special

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Wait, hold the phone, I can buy a billion different Blu-ray releases of every DBZ thing, but is there seriously no BD release of straight up Dragonball? A cursory poke around Google and Amazon reveals only the season dvds and DBZ poo poo.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
We demand a 4k physical media of Oolong's preteen slaves.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just bought a dvd set in tyol 2015 what is wrong with me

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Rodyle posted:

Wait, hold the phone, I can buy a billion different Blu-ray releases of every DBZ thing, but is there seriously no BD release of straight up Dragonball? A cursory poke around Google and Amazon reveals only the season dvds and DBZ poo poo.

As I recall it, they just straight up don't have the original footage anymore. There's nothing to clean up and re-release.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

As I recall it, they just straight up don't have the original footage anymore. There's nothing to clean up and re-release.
I don't even care about remastering I just don't want it on a hundred disks. I mean I guess I can just grab a torrent at the end of the day but still.

hosed up that they'd lose the material for the BETTER show though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

BlitzBlast posted:

Obviously they need to reanimate everything and release it that way!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What would they call it? Dragon Ball Kai doesn't quite roll off the tongue so well.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Mraagvpeine posted:

What would they call it? Dragon Ball Kai doesn't quite roll off the tongue so well.

"Dragon Ball Kai" is literally what Z Kai is called in Japan

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

DoctorWhat posted:

"Dragon Ball Kai" is literally what Z Kai is called in Japan

That still makes it a bad name but for a different reason.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rodyle posted:

As others have mentioned there wouldn't be much improvement, also they're only this year finally getting around to releasing the DBZ movies on Blu-Ray, so even if they do eventually release Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray it'll be a while

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

bowmore posted:

I want to see a Salza and Ginyu special

There need to be more scenarios to integrate the filler and canon characters into one seamless universe.

I always like it when the video games have special dialogue between characters that never met, like Raditz and Tarble for instance.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There need to be more scenarios to integrate the filler and canon characters into one seamless universe.

I always like it when the video games have special dialogue between characters that never met, like Raditz and Tarble for instance.

Re-release the series again, this time trying to make all of the movies fit in the timeline!

Alternate idea: Raditz/Tarble buddy special.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
For some reason I never connected the dots that Tarble is Vegeta's Raditz until now.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

mycot posted:

For some reason I never connected the dots that Tarble is Vegeta's Raditz until now.

He's way more like Goku Kakarot than Raditz.

Amorphous Blob fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 23, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Amorphous Blob posted:

He's way more like Goku than Raditz.

I meant more in the sense of "main character's outrageously disproportionately weak sibling".

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

facebook jihad posted:

Goku's base power level cannot be 21000.

This thing has made me wonder if Goku eventually just learns to naturally adapt to walking around in constant kaioken of the lower levels to keep his power level high. This would also explain why he somehow gets to be able to do kaioken x10 without a sweat on Namek while on Earth Kaioken x3 nearly broke his body in half. And then he goes and uses kaioken x20 since it wasn't enough against Freeza.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

mycot posted:

I meant more in the sense of "main character's outrageously disproportionately weak sibling".

Ehh, Raditz was stronger than Goku when they first met and would have probably stayed a close second or third if he got to survive that fight and become a part of the cast.

Raditz and Vegeta are more similar in that they're both the rear end in a top hat older brothers. The only difference being that Vegeta lived long enough to become less of an rear end in a top hat.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'd love for there to be a special where Raditz returns to life and everyone laughs at him for how weak his power level is and then he trips everyone up because his beams are actually more powerful than anything they have, like in Xenoverse.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Raditz being known as a super weakling in the fandom is weird because up to his death he was pretty much always stronger then Goku. Goku eventually got stronger then him, but that applies to everyone else too. I guess it's because of the Saibamen thing? I like the idea Raditz's thing was being like, the "mage" of Team Vegeta, with attacks that stunned and stuff.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Raditz being known as a super weakling in the fandom is weird because up to his death he was pretty much always stronger then Goku. Goku eventually got stronger then him, but that applies to everyone else too. I guess it's because of the Saibamen thing? I like the idea Raditz's thing was being like, the "mage" of Team Vegeta, with attacks that stunned and stuff.

Well there's the Saibamen which really didn't make Raditz look great, but I imagine DBZA helped popularise it too; Nappa and Vegeta actually congratulate Krillin for being a better Raditz for their team than he was for theirs'.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
There's also him being a coward and begging for his life and then immediately sucker-punching Goku after.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Pureauthor posted:

There's also him being a coward and begging for his life and then immediately sucker-punching Goku after.

To be fair almost every single villain in DBZ ends up begging for their life or acting cowardly in some fashion. Unless they can't talk.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I think Future Androids 17 and 18 were killed before they could even start begging?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Keltar posted:

To be fair almost every single villain in DBZ ends up begging for their life or acting cowardly in some fashion. Unless they can't talk.

BlitzBlast posted:

I think Future Androids 17 and 18 were killed before they could even start begging?

The major exception to that is Kid Buu, I may be forgetting someone else though. EDIT: Oh wait that's what you meant by can't talk.

I always thought the joke about Raditz was more of a commentary on how DBZ's power creep worked. He's the very first antagonist in the series, so he ends up being by far the weakest.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

mycot posted:

Tarble has a wife. Someone loves Tarble, that makes him decidedly unRaditz.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Aurain posted:

Tarble has a wife. Someone loves Tarble, that makes him decidedly unRaditz.

That makes me realize the perfect plot for a movie bringing back Raditz would be Goten hearing Raditz get brought up in a conversation, and getting curious about the uncle he never met, gathers the Dragon Balls with help from Trunks and wishes Raditz back to life, Raditz tries to kill him and Trunks but they swat his attacks away easily, and what follows is a series of events involving Goten and Raditz bonding(a running theme should be Raditz completely gob-smacked about everything that's happened between his death and the present), although I'm not sure how one would end such a movie

Also a B-plot where Trunks uses a wish to bring Nappa back to life as well after overhearing Vegeta expressing some regret for blowing him up one night after getting drunk, and now Vegeta and Nappa have some middle aged men adventures(with explosions)

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Raditz is not Yamcha, because at least he managed to make a good account of himself when he first appears. He made Goku and Piccolo look like chumps. He's only considered weak retro-actively. To be honest I never really liked that the Saibamen are equal to him and that the human Z-fighters surpass him after a year of punching each other on Kami's Lookout. But whatever, I guess. At any rate, if he had stuck around he'd probably be way stronger than any of the humans, at least. Even if he somehow came back and still had the same power level, he wouldn't stay that weak for long if he somehow managed to survive his first fight with someone and recovered. Same goes for Nappa. I bet if Raditz and Nappa asked Goku and Vegeta to help them become Super Saiyans so that their fights would be more interesting, Goku and Vegeta would agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yamcha wasn't so bad in his initial scenes, he could hang with Goku when no one else could previously and the Rogafufuken was neat. It's just that it was the last time he would ever be relevant.

• Locked thread