Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
I don't recall where I first heard it, but doesn't Annapurna have the highest death rate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Highest death rate relative to ascents, so best percentage average, yes. For every 3 successful summits it claims one mortal soul.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Annapurna has a lot of glaciers, crevasses and potential for avalanche, so it's basically a giant booby trap. lovely luck more than anything can be what kills you.

Nanga Parbat is the other really dangerous mountain and, like K2, has never been climbed in winter. It was first climbed by Hermann Buhl, this guy:

Wikipedia posted:

The final push for the summit was dramatic: Buhl last 1300 meters continued alone, after his companions had turned back. Under the influence of the drugs pervitin (based on the stimulant methamphetamine used by soldiers during World War II), padutin, and tea from coca leaves, he reached the summit dangerously late, at 7 p.m., the climbing harder and more time-consuming than he had anticipated. His descent was slowed when he lost a crampon. Caught by darkness, he was forced to bivouac standing upright on a narrow ledge, holding a small handhold with one hand. Exhausted, he dozed occasionally, but managed to maintain his balance. He was also very fortunate to have a calm night, so he was not subjected to wind chill. He finally reached his high camp at 7 p.m. the next day, 40 hours after setting out. The ascent was made without oxygen, and Buhl is the only man to have made the first ascent of an 8000 m peak alone.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Ansiktsburk posted:

I don't recall where I first heard it, but doesn't Annapurna have the highest death rate?

Overall, yes, though it depends on the seasons/what stats you're looking at. The top five most dangerous per summit attempt (which almost always includes Annapurna, K2, Nanga Parbat, and Kanchenjunga) shuffle their positions around sometimes. E.g., if K2 has a quiet year but Kanchenjunga has a busy one, it'll take the number two spot until K2 has another popular/deadly year.

Considering its continually rising popularity + incompetence + global warming, Everest might even make it to the top of the list some day! Reach for the stars, big tall mountain. :downs:

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

I knew I'd played some text game a million years go on a sinclair, and indeed - Everest Ascent exists!

The .TAP file works just fine in this online zx spectrum simulator.

I have so far hired sherpas "tim" and "dick" and am going to kill them shortly as I failed to buy a tent.

Edit: Nope!

Blitter fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 22, 2015

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Blitter posted:

I knew I'd played some text game a million years go on a sinclair, and indeed - Everest Ascent exists!

The .TAP file works just fine in this online zx spectrum simulator.

I have so far hired sherpas "tim" and "dick" and am going to kill them shortly as I failed to buy a tent.

Edit: Nope!

So what you're saying is this computer game for children from the 80s has a better handle on the equipment you need than some of the people who are actually summiting.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Just play this game as your only preparation for Everest.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

midnightclimax posted:

Just play this game as your only preparation for Everest.

We could have terminals running it for all the idiots actually ascending the mountain to train on in GoonCampOne.

Sometimes I really regret not being a multi-millionaire. If I were, I would totally make GoonCampOne happen.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The irrational self-confidence of Everest climbers is a perfect match for the bitcoiner's misplaced faith in magic internet money.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2zwi8i/brazilian_bitcoiner_is_climbing_everest_and_will/

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
I Wonder if they'll drape his frozen corpse with said flag.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

The irrational self-confidence of Everest climbers is a perfect match for the bitcoiner's misplaced faith in magic internet money.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2zwi8i/brazilian_bitcoiner_is_climbing_everest_and_will/

Wait a sec, the headline says he'll plant the flag "almost at the top" of everest. The body of the text clarifies that he's planting it at base camp.

Isn't that the BOTTOM? Typical loving bitcoiners...

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

Wait a sec, the headline says he'll plant the flag "almost at the top" of everest. The body of the text clarifies that he's planting it at base camp.

Everest increases in height every year so that flag is just going to go up, up, up! Much like bitcoins.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
At what altitude would Goon Base Camp be?

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Mystery Steve posted:

I Wonder if they'll drape his frozen corpse with said flag.

Can we contact another climber and pay them to steal all the Brazilian flags so if he dies, they have no choice but to use the Bitcoin flag.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Xenoid posted:

Everest increases in height every year so that flag is just going to go up, up, up! Much like bitcoins.

Yeah, Everest will increase in height... until it collapses in an avalanche of corpses and human feces.

Much like bitcoins.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
here's a great video about a guy daring to dream and nearly summiting k2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWnJG8vBAfw

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I think this is going to be a good year to be in the peanut gallery.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Xenoid posted:

lol

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Fatkraken posted:

Knowing Bitcoin, it'll be at sea-level in a week.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I heard Sherpas are refusing to let him climb after they heard his plan to simply hodl onto his butts and let them carry him up up up

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

here's a great video about a guy daring to dream and nearly summiting k2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWnJG8vBAfw

Highest American in nearly two years? Surely with the constant Everest expeditions there are Yanks submitting every year?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

man i thought for a few seconds that 2015 would not be a year of assholes climbing everest but actually a year of yuppie climbers loving off and/or cleaning (specifically paying for sherpas to clean) the huge mess that is the mountain. nope just more assholes. i hope all of them die

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ethanol posted:

man i thought for a few seconds that 2015 would not be a year of assholes climbing everest but actually a year of yuppie climbers loving off and/or cleaning (specifically paying for sherpas to clean) the huge mess that is the mountain. nope just more assholes. i hope all of them die

Do you also believe Christmas gift comes from an overweight Canadian man who sneaks into your house at night?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Do you also believe Christmas gift comes from an overweight Canadian man who sneaks into your house at night?

Sure he scared me in the middle of the night but my mom said he was just an uncle

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

Highest American in nearly two years? Surely with the constant Everest expeditions there are Yanks submitting every year?

I think he meant highest up on K2. Not that many people attempt to climb it, and a lot who attempt it die or abandon their summit attempts.

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn
Put me in the contest under 1,thanks.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Bitcoin guy should plant his flag at base camp next to the poo poo stalls and huge piles of garbage, perfect fit really.

Then the angry gods of the mountain will give him HACE because he defiled their land and everyone wins.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Bitcoin guy is gonna be the first dude to die from overheating on Everest.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
I was in a bookstore the other day that had a ton on climbing, so I took photos of the fronts and backs and typed this up. I didn't include Touching the Void, Into Thin Air, High Crimes, anything by Krakauer, etc.

Everest

Everest - The First Ascent: How a Champion of Science Helped to Conquer the Mountain - Harriet Tuckey, 2014. This won a bunch of awards last year. Tuckey's father was Dr.Griffith Pugh, the scientist and strategist on Hilary's team in 1953 as well as the father of altitude medicine.

Blind Descent: Surviving Alone and Blind on Mount Everest - Brian Dickinson, 2014. Brian's Sherpa turns back 1,000ft from the summit, but dumb Brian decides to still try and summit, alone. He reached it, then lost his vision and had to climb down blind, relying on "his Navy survival training, his gut instinct, and his faith."

The Mountain: My Time on Everest - Ed Viesturs, 2013. Viesturs explores the history of the mountain, various tragedies, etc. while giving accounts from his 11 trips and 7 summits of Everest.

Dark Summit: The True Story of Everest's Most Controversial Season - Nick Heil, 2009. Largely focuses on the 2006 deaths, particularly David Sharp (the Brit who alive but everyone kept walking right by), but also goes into how the popularity of Everest is causing riskier expeditions, bad climbing teams out for money, idiots climbing, and all of the stuff we routinely talk about.

Above the Clouds: The Diaries of a High-Altitude Mountaineer - Anatoli Boukreev, 2002. Covers his life climbing, including Denali, K2, and the 1996 Everest climb. He died on Annapurna in 1997.

The Climb: Tragic Ambitions on Everest - Anatoli Boukreev, 1999. The 1996 Everest disaster from one of the climbers who saved people. This edition includes some stuff from after the tragedy, along with co-author DeWalt's rebuttal to Krakauer about Into Thin Air.

High Exposure: An Enduring Passion for Everest and Unforgiving Places - David Breashears, 2000. Climber and filmmaker Breashears explores the why of climbing, with particular focus on Everest and the 96 climbing season.

Left For Dead: My Journey Home from Everest - Beck Weathers, 2001. Weathers was part of the 1996 climb, was left for dead, but managed to survive. Covers the climb, his survival, and his "life journey."

My Father, Frank: Unresting Spirit of Everest - Tony Smythe, 2013. Frank Smythe climbed various Himilayan mountains in the 30s, and in 1933 reached within 800ft of Everest's peak.

Touching My Father's Soul: A Sherpa's Journey to the Top of Everest - Jamling Norgay, 2002. Jamling was the Climbing Leader in 1996. He blends the story of his 1996 climb with ones from his father's climb as well as giving an inside look at Sherpas.

K2

Buried in the Sky: The Extraordinary Story of the Sherpa Climbers on K2's Deadliest Day - Peter Zuckerman, Amanda Padoan, 2013. Follows the stories of the two sherpas who survived K2 in 2008, out of the 13 who climbed it.

No Way Down: Life and Death on K2 - Graham Bowley, 2011. Another about K2 in 2008.

One Mountain Thousand Summits: The Untold Story of Tragedy and True Heroism on K2 - Freddie Wilkinson, 2011. Yet another about the 2008 deaths.

The Last Man on the Mountain: The Death of an American Adventurer on K2 - Jennifer Jordan, 2011. About the 1939 climb and death of K2's first victim, Dudley Wolfe. The author is the one who found his body 60+ years later.

K2 the 1939 Tragedy - Andrew Kauffman, 1993. Another about the 1938 and 1939 climbs.

Savage Summit: The Life and Death of the First Women of K2 - Jennifer Jordan, 2005. Only 6 women have climbed K2 (as of the book's publishing), and half died on the way down. This covers all 6.

K2: Triumph and Tragedy - Jim Curran, 1989. The 1986 climbing season of K2, when 27 summited but 13 died.

K2: Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain - Ed Viesturs, 2010. The mountain's history and 7 of the most deadly years.

OTHER MOUNTAINS

One More Step: My Story of Living with Cerebral Palsy, Climbing Kilimanjaro, and Surviving the Hardest Race on Earth - Bonner Paddock, Neal Bascomb, March 10 2015. Self explanatory.

Where the Mountain Casts Its Shadow: The Dark Side of Extreme Adventure - Maria Coffey, 2005. Interviews with top climbers, widows of dead climbers, the families of climbers, etc. Coffey's husband Joe Tasker died on Everest in 1982.

The Mammoth Book of Mountain Disasters: True Accounts of Rescue from the Brink of Death - Edited by Hamish MacInnes, 2003. 35 First hand accounts.

Tilting at Mountains: Love, Tragedy, and Triumph on the World's Highest Peaks - Edurne Pasaban, 2014. The first woman to climb all 14 8,000 meter peaks.

Mountains In My Heart: A Passion for Climbing - Gerlinde Kaltenbrunner, 2014. First woman to climb all 14 8,000 meter peaks without oxygen.

Reinhold Messner: My Life at the Limit - Reinhold Messner, 2014. Interview between Messner and Thomas Huetlin. Covers climbing, Antarctica, hiking across the Gobi and Tibet, being a member of the European Parliament, "his encounter with and study of Yeti," male/female roles (he is against eating ice cream with girls), and other stuff.

Beyond the Mountain - Steve House, 2012. About his life climbing mountains, including climbing a new route on Nanga Parbat.

The Last of His Kind: The Life and Adventures of Bradford Washburn, America's Boldest Mountaineer - David Roberts, 2009. Photographer and adventurer who has nine first ascents in North America, as well as a cartographer who charted Denali, the Grand Canyon, Everest, and others.

Conquistadors of the Useless - Lionel Terray, 2008. Autobiography. Terray was considered a national hero when he started climbing mountains following WW2. One of National Geographic's 100 Greatest Adventure Books of All Time.

The Beckoning Silence - Joe Simpson, 2003. Simpson, a subject of Touching the Void, goes on the last climb of his life, the north face of Eiger.

Annapurna: The First Conquest of an 8,000-meter Peak - Maurice Herzog, 2010. One of Sports Illustrated's Top 100 Sports Books of All Time.

The Will to Climb: Obsession and Commitment and the Quest to Climb Annapurna--the World's Deadliest Peak - Ed Viesturs, 2012. His three attempts to climb the mountain, while covering the history of others who have tried.

Fiva: An Adventure That Went Wrong - Gordon Stainforth, 2013. In 1969, teenage Stainforth and his idiot twin brother decide to climb the highest rock face in Europe, with no experience or gear. It didn't go well.

Forever on the Mountain: The Truth Behind One of Mountaineering's Most Controversial and Mysterious Disasters - James M. Tabor, 2008. On a climb of Mt McKinley in 1967, seven members of 12 man team became stranded and died. Tabor "uncovers" controversies and cover-ups.

Denali's Howl: The Deadliest Climbing Disaster on America's Wildest Peak - Andy Hall, 2014. Another on the 1967 climb of Mt McKinley, this one by the son of the then-park superintendent. This one focuses on the actual story, along with the story of the people trying to rescue the stranded climbers, and what could have been done differently.

Surviving Denali: A Study of Accidents on Mount McKinley 1903-1990 - Jonathan Waterman, 1991. Pretty straight forward.

The Naked Mountaineer: Misadventures of an Alpine Traveler - Steve Sieberson, 2014. A lighthearted look at climbing smaller mountains (Matterhorn, places in Borneo, etc.) and the people he meets and adventures he has.

Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident - Donnie Eichar, 2014. Includes photos, the climbers' journals, government files, etc., along with the author retracing their steps. I'm including this one on the subject because it came out late last year so hopefully actually covers the truth instead of still trying to push it as a mystery/aliens.

Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why - Laurence Gonzales, 2004. Self explanatory, with a focus on mountains.

CAVES & DIVING & ETC

Blind Descent: The Quest to Discover the Deepest Cave on Earth - James M. Tabor, 2011. Using journals, interviews, etc. Tabor covers two explorers as they both try to reach the deepest point on earth in 2004 - Bill Stone in the Cheve Cave of Mexico, and Alexander Klimchouk in a supercave in Georgia (the country). Both spent months underground and one cited review mentions "deadly falls, killer microbes, sudden burial, asphyxiation, claustrophobia, anxiety, and hallucinations. . ."

Beyond the Deep: The Deadly Descent into the World's Most Treacherous Cave - William Stone, Barbara am Ende, 2002. In 1994, 45 people go into the Huautla Cave in Mexico, led by the author. People die, floods force people back, and the two authors pushed on for another two weeks and set the record for deepest cave dive.

Diving into Darkness: A True Story of Death and Survival - Phillip Finch, 2008. Two of the world's top divers traveled to Bushman's Hole in the Kalahari Desert, one dies and one barely survives.

Fatal Depth: Deep Sea Diving, China Fever, And The Wreck Of The Andrea Doria - Joe Haberstroh, 2004. Follows divers trying to reach the Andrea Doria in 1998-1999, when three people died. Goes into the history of the ship along with the divers' lives and what pushes them to dive just to bring back a teacup.

Alone on the Ice: The Greatest Survival Story in the History of Exploration - David Roberts, 2014. Douglas Mawson's crazy expedition to Antarctica in 1913.

The Last Season - Eric Blehm, 2007. Backcountry ranger Randy Morgenson mysteriously vanishes in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

SteveVizsla posted:

No Way Down: Life and Death on K2 - Graham Bowley, 2011. Another about K2 in 2008.

I need to reread this again, but for some reason the writing just completely grates on me.

A book I recommended in a previous Everest thread, Annapurna: A Woman's Place by Arlene Blum is a really, really great read. It's about an all-women's expedition in 1978, and goes into a lot of the sexism that was commonplace in the mountaineering circles at the time (and I think, still exists). There's also a lot of technical details, about how the expedition's run and how morale is kept up and so on, since it's written by the expedition leader. The inevitable deaths also hit you really hard, since a lot of the book is spent discussing the individual climbers and you get to know them (more or less) pretty well.

Also, I learned recently that a client of mine had her husband die climbing Mt. Hood, a few years ago (before I knew her), and it's kind of quashed any real desire I had to summit local mountains. It's kind of one thing to read about people dying on mountains on the other side of the world, but learning that someone died on a mountain I can literally see from my home kind of brings it to heart. I know a lot of people die on Mt. Hood...but it's kind of different when the person's summitted it about a hundred times and has done some Himalaya summits. I mean, poo poo. I'll just stick to loving tourist trails.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I take personal offence to Bitcoin being promoted on a mountain.

Take your flag and shove it up your rear end.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

I take personal offence to Bitcoin being promoted on a mountain.

Take your flag and shove it up your rear end.

It's bad in it's own right, it's a lot worse right after all the sherpas died

Butt Wizard
Nov 3, 2005

It was a pornography store. I was buying pornography.
There aren't any really huge mountains in NZ (at least in the North Island) with the exception of Taranaki and Ruapehu. Ruapehu seems to be rated as an 'experienced alpine climb' so I might take some time off over summer and check out some of the lower reaches of the climb and just see what it's like a couple of hundred metres above the car park, how quickly weather changes, etc.

Given that Ruapehu is also one of our most active volcanoes, I have no desire to go anywhere near the top.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Butt Wizard posted:

There aren't any really huge mountains in NZ (at least in the North Island) with the exception of Taranaki and Ruapehu. Ruapehu seems to be rated as an 'experienced alpine climb' so I might take some time off over summer and check out some of the lower reaches of the climb and just see what it's like a couple of hundred metres above the car park, how quickly weather changes, etc.

Given that Ruapehu is also one of our most active volcanoes, I have no desire to go anywhere near the top.

Active volcanoes aren't that scary. Mt. Batur in Bali is quite active, erupting twice in the last century. and I went to the top in 2013. We did it at night even, it's a pretty popular tourist attraction to hike it's slopes to watch the sunrise. There are two places to hike to: the old caldera ridge, and the new summit. On the caldera ridge, I decided to go off on my own without a guide, and walked through a steam vent. Gladly the emissions weren't toxic or scalding. I was just walking when all of a sudden I felt an intense wall of heat and incredible humidity. I was like "Woah, that could have been bad". I assumed that if it was actually dangerous, it would have been blocked off. But it was super awesome and totally worth it. I walked through a volcanic steam vent! What a cool story!

The concept of risk-taking is usually viewed as negative consequences only. Many people think "Could something bad happen? Yes? Not worth it". Risk actually means both bad and good. Sure, there's danger involved in a lot of outdoor pursuits, but in reality there's danger involved in everything you do. Are the rewards worth taking that risk? I usually say yes. When you're interested in adventure, you just accept that sometimes things can go wrong.

I've gone through some really sketchy situations. The aforementioned cliff accident. Being woken in my tent by a nosy grizzly bear in the middle of the night while I'm two days walk from civilization. Swimming 300 meters off shore in an unfamiliar area, at risk of being dragged out to sea by riptides. The risk was worth the reward every time.

What I'm saying is, yes, things could go wrong. But the likeliness of that happening is far less than you having a badass awesome time. Climb that loving mountain.

If you have the skill. Don't be like the glory-hungry rich douchebags on Everest. They're the worst. No amount of money can out-weigh the risk undertaken by inexperienced scumbuckets just looking for a new way to stroke their ego. There's a difference between people like them and people like me. No one should ever be like Canadian lady, photoshopping themselves into a wheelchair accessible alpine lake scene to raise funds for a suicide mission. There's a difference between "I'M GOING TO CLIMB EVEREST" and "I love to climb mountains and Everest is the tallest so I'm going to do it!"

Well that was rambly. Sorry.

Butt Wizard
Nov 3, 2005

It was a pornography store. I was buying pornography.

Picnic Princess posted:

If you have the skill. Don't be like the glory-hungry rich douchebags on Everest. They're the worst. No amount of money can out-weigh the risk undertaken by inexperienced scumbuckets just looking for a new way to stroke their ego. There's a difference between people like them and people like me. No one should ever be like Canadian lady, photoshopping themselves into a wheelchair accessible alpine lake scene to raise funds for a suicide mission. There's a difference between "I'M GOING TO CLIMB EVEREST" and "I love to climb mountains and Everest is the tallest so I'm going to do it!"

Well that was rambly. Sorry.

Yea I'm in no way a mountaineer and it's a proper alpine trail. I'm the kind of person who puts sleeping bags in the car when I visit the ski fields for a quick half hour visit just in case I get stuck so I'm paranoid about any worst case scenario. The summit is only something I'd ever do in summer and I'd be taking crampons and ice axes (and I'd have to learn how to use them first before I thought about going all the way up). I'm going to recon the hell out the lower part too, just to get an idea of the terrain involved and make sure I've got the best footwear etc.

Also, re: the volcano bit, Ruapehu's next door neighbour Ngauruhoe (which goons will recognise as Mt Doom from Lord of the Rings) had its alert status updated from a 0 to a 1, which is 'Minor volcanic unrest' just a few hours ago. There's three main peaks the plateau, Ruapehu, Ngauruhoe and Tongariro. The latter has a really well known alpine trek called the Tongariro Crossing, which most people do in summer but it gets intensely harder if you do it in winter.

The fun bit is they're all active volcanoes that are within kilometres of each other. This is what Ngauruhoe looks like when it goes up:

Here's some footage from Ruapehu's 1995 Eruptions (the second one has been used as stock volcano eruption SFX in heaps of poo poo). If you want an idea of what it's like to be on it when it goes up, check out from 1m on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8W_sGYAQlc

And here's Tongariro farting sharting itself from one of the vents on the side of the mountain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ7Jg96OB9M

But if all that is a bit much, there's lots of touristy relaxing poo poo at nearby lake Taupo....

quote:

Lake Taupo, in the centre of New Zealand’s North Island, is the caldera of a large rhyolitic volcano. This huge volcano has produced two of the world’s most violent eruptions in geologically recent times.

Literally covered the country in hundreds of metres of rock and ash. It's a great place for a holiday though.

I feel like I should also say that even though the odds of anything volcanic happening in my relatively short life (at least in geological terms) I've always found this poo poo fascinating - I live on the side of an old volcanic cone in a city with about 50 known extinct volcanoes and in a country where the middle bit is constantly at risk of exploding and the bottom bit wants to shake everyone into the ocean. It's pretty awesome really.

Apologies for the volcano chat, but climbing season hasn't begun and my bet was on Everest erupting so I feel this is somewhat relevant.

Butt Wizard fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 23, 2015

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

And the first frozen cryptocurrency libertaricorpse will be...

quote:

Brazilian bitcoiner is climbing Everest and will put a Bitcoin flag almost on the top (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 19 hours ago * by workfire

A member from the Bitcoin Brazilian Community is climbing Everest and, if he succeeds, will put a Bitcoin flag almost on the top of the Earth's highest mountain. The current news is that Allex Ferreira (the mentioned member of BR community) will arrive to the Everest Base Camp in about 4 days, where he should put the Bitcoin flag (at an altitude of ~5,000 meters).
Here is one picture: http://i.imgur.com/323Iadd.jpg
If it succeeds, Bitcoin will be (really) nearest to the Moon. Go Allex! Go Bitcoin!
#ToTheEverest #ToTheMoon

[Update 1] Some guys asked for his Twitter or Facebook account to give some tips, but I just have find his Flickr (yes, he is a photographer): https://www.flickr.com/people/allex-2501/

e: Ah shucks, just re-read it, and he's only going to base camp :(

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

SteveVizsla posted:

I was in a bookstore the other day that had a ton on climbing, so I took photos of the fronts and backs and typed this up. I didn't include Touching the Void, Into Thin Air, High Crimes, anything by Krakauer, etc.

Wow! Thanks for this, I have added it to the OP.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
"Climbing"*☆¤ for Bitcoin
*to the bottom of the mountain
☆in a car
¤no fees!

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Do you guys reckon Sherpas just tell climbers they they won't be able to make it and should turn back because they're slack and don't wanna go up the big mountain for the 100th time? That's what I would do.

Or is it that thought that leads to silly people dying after they ignore their Sherpa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Nanga Parbat is loving gorgeous...

• Locked thread