Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Also we don't sound horrible like cows do, which is probably the most important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

mushroom_spore posted:

Also we don't sound horrible like cows do, which is probably the most important.

I was a pig for a little while and it was good fun, but being an animal does limit things a bit. People talked extensively about vendor limitations, but the bigger issues to me were:
- You can't wield a handsaw, so it's much harder to level foraging and carpentry is very much locked out to you. It also locks out things like toolcrafting, which requires carpentry levels, and without a robust player economy, fletching.
- Of course, fletching won't bother you much, because Sword, Archery, Fire Magic, Battle Chemistry, Shield, Hammer, and Staff are all locked to you as an animal. You also can't use many/most Unarmed abilities, which require empty human hands.

In a game that lets you do basically anything in whatever order you choose, you may find animal forms confining. Pig, at least, does add a lot of bonuses to the stuff it doesn't lock you out of (truffle sniff is kind of huge if you're interested in certain tradeskills, just the strange dirt it gives is very nice for gardening which at level 35+ usually means growing lots of cotton for tailoring). Heck, when battle chemistry starts requiring Alchemy 50, a detour into Pig might be a good way to get there. The other forms, I don't know much about. I will say that if you're interested in being a deer, you'd be a fool to not just pick up Druid and level it to 25. You get deer form when you want and then you can turn into a human and do whatever.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Four legs bad, two legs good.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

lewtt posted:

Messin around in this game as lewtt. This game is a weird gem, and the developer is the best kind of whacko. Also got an unpiggy potion, if anyone feels messing around being a pig.

Oh poo poo lewtt I think I was with you in the crypt taking out the mage yesterday and then ran away like a scrub from those snails that I couldn't put a dent in and left you to die. My bad brother.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This sounds like some silly fun and I can't wait to try it out when I get home.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

30.5 Days posted:

You can't wield a handsaw, so it's much harder to level foraging

This was fixed in a recent patch, kinda. The spawn rate of apples went through the roof, so between apples and flowers you have a lot more foraging exp available until you can pick up all those grapes all over north Serbule. Apples were pretty much the only really rough spot for animals when they hardly spawned. By the time you can pick guavas around mid skill level you're home free, because Sun Vale spawns guavas like mad.

30.5 Days posted:

The other forms, I don't know much about.

I've also played a bunch of spider, and I'd describe it so far as basically pure DPS with minimal crowd control ability. Doesn't seem to have any real defenses or buffs at all unless something comes later, but it hits like a truck and can spawn two baby spiders at a time (through an admittedly annoying incubation mechanism) that hit like slightly smaller trucks. Spider has an illusion power to talk to NPCs that don't like animals, but unless you're prepared to grind a bunch of surveying or pay people who do, you're not gonna have the moonstones to use it.

Spider goes amazingly well with mentalism due to the combination of heals and support AOEs with your babies - basically any damage buff or armor buff or power restoration you cast has its usefulness multiplied x3 even if you're just soloing. Plus mentalism fills in the complete lack of defenses in the spider set, and spider's pure DPS goes great with Pain Bubble.

EDIT: Also, for anyone making a run into the Crypt for spider supplies, be aware that the something like nine extra skills the spider npc will train you in are sold as scrolls rather than the usual click-to-learn mechanism. So leave lots and lots of inventory space so you won't have to come back every few levels, and just stick the scrolls in the bank until you can use them.

UNRELATED EDIT: My pig is now looking for Pyrite, because Malevolent Spore Bombs suddenly depart from the previous recipes of fish + strange dirt + mushroom and need mushroom + Pyrite instead.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 23, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

mushroom_spore posted:

This was fixed in a recent patch, kinda. The spawn rate of apples went through the roof, so between apples and flowers you have a lot more foraging exp available until you can pick up all those grapes all over north Serbule. Apples were pretty much the only really rough spot for animals when they hardly spawned. By the time you can pick guavas around mid skill level you're home free, because Sun Vale spawns guavas like mad.

I've also played a bunch of spider, and I'd describe it so far as basically pure DPS with minimal crowd control ability. Doesn't seem to have any real defenses or buffs at all unless something comes later, but it hits like a truck and can spawn two baby spiders at a time (through an admittedly annoying incubation mechanism) that hit like slightly smaller trucks. Spider has an illusion power to talk to NPCs that don't like animals, but unless you're prepared to grind a bunch of surveying or pay people who do, you're not gonna have the moonstones to use it.

Spider goes amazingly well with mentalism due to the combination of heals and support AOEs with your babies - basically any damage buff or armor buff or power restoration you cast has its usefulness multiplied x3 even if you're just soloing. Plus mentalism fills in the complete lack of defenses in the spider set, and spider's pure DPS goes great with Pain Bubble.

EDIT: Also, for anyone making a run into the Crypt for spider supplies, be aware that the something like nine extra skills the spider npc will train you in are sold as scrolls rather than the usual click-to-learn mechanism. So leave lots and lots of inventory space so you won't have to come back every few levels, and just stick the scrolls in the bank until you can use them.

UNRELATED EDIT: My pig is now looking for Pyrite, because Malevolent Spore Bombs suddenly depart from the previous recipes of fish + strange dirt + mushroom and need mushroom + Pyrite instead.

Pyrite spawns like mad in the mushroom dungeon.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

30.5 Days posted:

Pyrite spawns like mad in the mushroom dungeon.

Excellent, thanks for the tip. :) I can probably go past picking at the entry mobs there now that I've updated my gear.

EDIT: Forgot to mention sort of an unofficial bonus of being an animal - if you're active in chat and interact with people and group from time to time, pretty much everyone remembers that you're an animal. I guess there aren't that many of us total, or we just stand out more, but it's not at all unusual for someone who gets an animal gear drop they can't use to remember "hey, username I grouped with once last week was a spider, I should see if they need this." I see it in chat pretty often and have had some excellent offers myself. :dance: Got a great pig helmet earlier today and the other person didn't even want anything for it, though I always offer to buy or trade something.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 24, 2015

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
sounds like pity, spiderman :)

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm okay with that. :getin:

Grinding dumb less-profitable higher level Surveying on Scuttle for a bit on my way to moonstones. Anyone still need metal? Otherwise I'll probably just spam the gem ones.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I'll buy your metals at vendor price if that works.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

So I kinda hit a wall last night, I like Fire Magic I really do. The skills are great and give a lot of options, but the fact that the mats are locked behind high end content for skills that are ranked at 20+ is a bit underwhelming. I was making due for a while but it's gotten to a point now where I don't do the damage output I should with 30+ Fire Magic. Now this is not a cry for help, I don't want anyone to go out of their way to get me the saltpeter I now need. This is just an open ended opinion and tonight I'm gonna switch to a combat skill that doesn't need mats to level. I knew the risk going in I just didn't realize the disadvantage I would be in until I got lucky enough to a vendor with the mats I need used or someone in chat advertising they have it.

I'm having fun right now just running around farming cows for skins and seeds, growing said seeds and selling them for a ton. I'll probably do surveying tonight since the jewelry vendor resets his money today and the running around will level whatever skill I go with.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

So I kinda hit a wall last night, I like Fire Magic I really do. The skills are great and give a lot of options, but the fact that the mats are locked behind high end content for skills that are ranked at 20+ is a bit underwhelming. I was making due for a while but it's gotten to a point now where I don't do the damage output I should with 30+ Fire Magic. Now this is not a cry for help, I don't want anyone to go out of their way to get me the saltpeter I now need. This is just an open ended opinion and tonight I'm gonna switch to a combat skill that doesn't need mats to level. I knew the risk going in I just didn't realize the disadvantage I would be in until I got lucky enough to a vendor with the mats I need used or someone in chat advertising they have it.

I'm having fun right now just running around farming cows for skins and seeds, growing said seeds and selling them for a ton. I'll probably do surveying tonight since the jewelry vendor resets his money today and the running around will level whatever skill I go with.

A plat out plea for help works pretty well too - that's how I got my saltpeter at that point. I'd give you mine but you need saltpeter all the way to 50 so I'm using all of mine as I get it. There are a couple ways around your predicament, though - several npcs buy saltpeter, and players often sell saltpeter to them as sells for a good amount of money, check the buy used tab - it's a couple hundred gold each but it's just a matter of finding a way to make money instead of killing those high level enemies. Some dudes on global might be able to help, too.

My secret moneymaking technique right now is to kill a bunch of pigs for bacon, buy every single piece of venison i can from every npc I can find, and to spam the sausage recipe, which is bacon + venison + salt + flour. Since I have a high rep with the innkeeper he has a 20k~ bank account and I managed to empty the whole thing with piles and piles of sausage. A good chunk of it was lost buying salt and flour, but it was still a large net gain on my part. I'm having difficulty finding any other especially profitable recipes though, a lot of them want either rarer materials or wood chips to prevent that sort of spamming. Still, cooking in general can be profitable if you donate all cooked food to him until he likes you enough to have a decent bank account/training selection, and then selling it to him.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 24, 2015

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

The other thing I misjudged was how much of each mat I was going to need. So I overbought Sulfur and have 10 sitting around. So if anyone needs Sulfur hit up VisualPine and I'll give it to you to get it out of my inventory.

This game is so for being so simple on the surface then gets wild the deeper you go. For some reason I can't stop playing it, gonna be a shame when they start charging for it cause I don't have the spare change at the moment.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I know there was one post where the guy was saying he might go with a $5 monthly fee. So at least it would be way cheaper than most subscription games. I would actually be okay with a F2P system because then maybe I could buy extra bank tabs. I'm having the same problem with materials where I get overwhelmed with a full load of them and just sell em all off, then 20 minutes later realize I could've used those two antlers or whatever :shobon:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 24, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

glug posted:

I'll buy your metals at vendor price if that works.

That's fine. I'm not stressed too much about gem-level profit since I can make it up with gems/gardening later, I just didn't want to farm up metal if no one even needed it and it'd just get vendored. :) All types? I got Surveying to 35 last night (woo!) so I can farm up to whatever the greenish colored metal is. I have maybe ten of those now and more of the lower tiers, but I need to hang on to just enough that I can use them to make more surveys.

Scuttle was getting his spider butt kicked in parts of Eltibule while actually running those Surveys though, but he seems to be leveling pretty quickly off of murdering his firey brethren and random cult guys in the hills. I think I got him to Spider 20/Mentalism 20 last night so I could go back and swap into some higher level jewelry I had saved. Not sure when those Gnashers will stop one-shotting me while sitting on top of my survey points.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 24, 2015

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

mushroom_spore posted:

That's fine. I'm not stressed too much about gem-level profit since I can make it up with gems/gardening later, I just didn't want to farm up metal if no one even needed it and it'd just get vendored. :) All types? I got Surveying to 35 last night (woo!) so I can farm up to whatever the greenish colored metal is. I have maybe ten of those now and more of the lower tiers, but I need to hang on to just enough that I can use them to make more surveys.

Scuttle was getting his spider butt kicked in parts of Eltibule while actually running those Surveys though, but he seems to be leveling pretty quickly off of murdering his firey brethren and random cult guys in the hills. I think I got him to Spider 20/Mentalism 20 last night so I could go back and swap into some higher level jewelry I had saved. Not sure when those Gnashers will stop one-shotting me while sitting on top of my survey points.

Speaking of skills I do have my gardening up to 35 if anyone needs anything that high that they may need but can't quite grow yet.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Speaking of skills I do have my gardening up to 35 if anyone needs anything that high that they may need but can't quite grow yet.

I think that's when you can start planting cotton for crazy profit - do you have any? I can pass you five cottons to get you started if you don't, they're mildly annoying to find in the wild.

Also, how do I add a character to the spreadsheet without knocking everything out of alignment? I'd like to get Scuttle on there too since Mraaj is abandoning surveys, and Scuttle might take up tailoring too when I run out of other stuff to waste time and pretend money on.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Oh I started the cotton farm last night and while I wait for it to grow I just kill cows on the way to the river to fill all my bottles up.

Also how hard is it to get to the hammer training and get favor with him and how good are hammers in general. If it's to much of a pain I'll just sword and board for a while.

Hey Fingercuffs fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 24, 2015

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

mushroom_spore posted:

Also, how do I add a character to the spreadsheet without knocking everything out of alignment? I'd like to get Scuttle on there too since Mraaj is abandoning surveys, and Scuttle might take up tailoring too when I run out of other stuff to waste time and pretend money on.

Right-click on the numbers on the left and you can select 'insert 1 above' or 'insert 1 below' to make a row.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Pesterchum posted:

Right-click on the numbers on the left and you can select 'insert 1 above' or 'insert 1 below' to make a row.

Excellent, thanks!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Can also just fill a line at the bottom, I sort by the name column a-z

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Citan just confirmed on the forums that there was a bug with the organ knife not actually giving a bonus to organ gathering (and instead giving a bonus to bone gathering).

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Oh I started the cotton farm last night and while I wait for it to grow I just kill cows on the way to the river to fill all my bottles up.

Also how hard is it to get to the hammer training and get favor with him and how good are hammers in general. If it's to much of a pain I'll just sword and board for a while.

It wasn't that difficult, just kill/buy some faerie wings and give them to the guy. I liked sword and board, but that poo poo was power INTENSIVE. Hammers are great because you can still attack with 5s CD Reckless Slam at 0 power, and "Look at My Hammer" actually generates power and armor. The stun is nice as well, and if you get lucky on item stats, you can almost keep a guy chain stunlocked via 3 skills (using hammer/shield) while doing passable damage.

Sword felt like it had very bursty damage. Hammer feels like it does good, consistent damage.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
For fire, like you said, you knew what you were getting into. Fire is really powerful, but expensive and hard to raise, it's not the best thing to start out with. Archery I was gimped for a while as well, because of how hard it was to get fletching up to the same level as your skills, and I wanted to do it all by myself.

For hammer, there seems to be huge stacks of wings on mushroom jack lately, and 100 each to buy, so grab a handful and you're set. I wouldn't be surprised if 10 or 20 was more than enough.

If you want to raise gardening, beet + water = baked beets = money.
If you're high enough to get to sun vale, and made 1000 beets and bacon so you're at about 45 cooking, 3 banana, flour, water = banana bread.
You can sell food to that leatherworker in Eltibule as well. She'll take skins for favor too.

We should make a list of who pays max price for certain items, because I could turn wood into money on the toolcrafter and I wish I had someone else with deep pockets and a love for furniture.

Just fyi, you're prolly losing money at 'vendor price' selling the highest tier metals. I did some masterwork today and poo poo was expensive.
If you're interested in making some serious cash, farm the cheapest, easiest metal. Sell it for 25 a pop. You can buy it from the mushroom guy for 50 each, and there are players who power level blacksmith or toolcrafting or some other stuff and need that metal. Just offer it up in chat once in a while or listen for people. You should be able to easily sell that metal for anything under 50.

I knew it sucked even though everyone said to make it and it's the best. Whatever, it'll get fixed and I'll keep raising butcher and knowledges.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

glug posted:

Just fyi, you're prolly losing money at 'vendor price' selling the highest tier metals. I did some masterwork today and poo poo was expensive.

Yeah, I know, but like I said I don't mind, it's only a waste if I'm literally just dumping it at a vendor. :) I can make it up doing other stuff.

re: Gardening and food money, Guava Beet Muffins are good too. Though I think Wolp may have been the one who said something in chat about not wanting to garden for food money, and if that's the case I don't know any good hunting-dependent recipes aside from pre-nerf bacon.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Guess I'll try this bc I'm super bored.

Is there a list of goon players or w/e? Will be in as my forums name in 10-15 min.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Our player list doubles as an opt-in skill list. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wAAImwbD1J0gwnwnDxR6FASnJzM9ghDdkNO3IsA372c/edit?usp=sharing

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Also, some people have set their in in-game tag lines to <LLJK> or <GS> so if you do a /who or /who all in chat you'll see that next to those names.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Also, some people have set their in in-game tag lines to <LLJK> or <GS> so if you do a /who or /who all in chat you'll see that next to those names.

Not a bad idea, I'll do that when I get home today, as well as add my stuff to the goggledoc. My secondary is kinda up in the air as I test things out. Also I've noticed giant price tags on crafting training is the high level leather-working an tailoring really worth putting all that money in?

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
I have Leatherworking maxed as far as recipes go, so as long as I'm around you're better off avoiding the atrocious sink in time and money. You're welcome to give it a shot but there's very little pay off. I'm currently working on maxing tailoring, too, but it is a very very slow process. If you'd like to help the effort you can grow me cotton, though. I need about 4000 at this point.

LatinaPrincess in game

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I made a guy, got out of the tutorial cave and collected some mushrooms for a dude. Then I did a couple other random quests but pretty much everything I've tried to do has gotten me utterly owned. I guess I'm wondering, what am I supposed to be doing? I dig the EQ1 kind of vibe, though.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Frog Act posted:

So I made a guy, got out of the tutorial cave and collected some mushrooms for a dude. Then I did a couple other random quests but pretty much everything I've tried to do has gotten me utterly owned. I guess I'm wondering, what am I supposed to be doing? I dig the EQ1 kind of vibe, though.

Yeah, there really is no quest-by-level sorting system in this game so if you try to do every quest as you get it you're going to get flattened. If you're still super low level, probably the safest thing to do is get your skills up by punching pigs/rats/spiders and selling all the drops or using them for favor. You can also go south of Serbule until you find skeletons (watch out for the mantis territory next to that though), or jump into a lake north of town and look for the portal into the sewers which is basically the newbie dungeon after the tutorial. You can try the Crypt further into skeleton territory/connected to the sewers, but it's quite crowded and you're likely to get eaten by 500 spiders.

Things to hang on to: strange dirt (gardening is money), femurs (either for necromancy fuel or more gardening once you get a new recipe from Therese favor). Possibly pork shoulder, but I haven't done the math to see if the new bacon recipe is profitable at all anymore with having to buy salt. Still, it's easy to level with once you have at least Cooking 5.

To make cash and favor much, much easier, take up gardening+cooking and surveying (Joeh sells the book and supplies). Several good NPCs like various types of cooked food, and improving favor with them will give them more money per week to buy stuff from you. Baked Beets at Gardening/Cooking 20 are the best combo of easy to make, profitable to sell, and good returns when given as gifts to NPCs that like them. Surveying gets you gems, which sell very well and have other NPCs that like them. Keep amethysts though, as they're used in teleporting spells.

(Don't buy every cooking recipe, Honey Ham and/or Baked Potato is enough to level with until you get Bacon and/or Hash Browns at 5 and Boiled Cabbage at 10. At 15 there's Cabbage Soup and Sausage, and then at 20 you can make Baked Beets. If you try to buy every recipe you'll end up realizing you burned money on stuff that needs wood chips or butter or something that requires an entire extra skill that's difficult to get/level. :psyduck: )

One helpful trick is to give the banker cooked food until he likes you enough to start hanging out. His hang out rewards are cash, or at least the 4 and 8 hour ones are (there's also a 60 minute one, but you can't repeat it and I don't remember what it does). You can get 100 money/hour from this dude, though you'll have to log back in if you want to start a new block of hang out time. It's not a lot and you'd get more actually playing, but it helps to buy bank slots and poo poo as a newbie if you just hop on a few times a day to click the hang out button. If you log back in during a hang out, it just pauses the timer until you log off again. Once you can do the 4 hour one you can stop giving him food and just hang out with him over and over to build favor.

EDIT: Die a lot, btw. Dying is good, and dying in new and creative ways is even better. The Dying skill is good, and should be leveled. :)

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 25, 2015

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Cool, thanks man, I'm not super interested in cooking but I've been dicking around with various recipes and gathering stuff. Seems like you can't really avoid crafting in a broad sense so I'm sure I'll do more of it soon. Is there any kind of a guild functionality so I can play with goons?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i dont have a pc up and running for this

someone for the love of god take some screenshots/videos of the pigs/cows running around in the crypts getting mauled by skeletons/exploding sheep etc.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

edit: OH MY GOD MAC LAUNCHER

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
Just rolled on this, is there any goon meetup thing

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Frog Act posted:

Is there any kind of a guild functionality so I can play with goons?
None at all. There's a friends list, and you can search online players with "/who all" but that's limited to 40 results. Some goons have listed themselves on a google doc, and near the bottom of the persona panel you can add a message that appears next to your name in search.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 25, 2015

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Jackard posted:

None at all. There's a friends list, and you can search online players with "/who all" but that's limited to 40 results. Some goons have listed themselves on a google doc, and near the bottom of the persona panel you can add a message that appears next to your name in search.

Sounds cool, I'll add my name to it.

is there some kind of medium sized city we could claim or is the game world still pretty small?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
The current friending function sucks too, since last I checked you can only friend while standing next to someone in-game. Hopefully that will see some improvement along with some sort of guild system being implemented.

Tanners posted:

is there some kind of medium sized city we could claim or is the game world still pretty small?

Not sure what you mean by claiming a city, but the general center of activity is Serbule (the walled town after the newbie cave).