Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
abbott is saving the great barrier reef! im voting for him next election. i really think he's changed : )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Isn't there an argument to be made that privatising the electricity network is a good idea because it's a depreciating asset that's tied to a dying industry (fossil fuels), and that they could (won't ever) put the sales profits into renewables and other decentralised off-the-grid power sources?

I dunno Poles and Wires seem sort of necessary to get power to (some) places, even when renewable is the primary source.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Cartoon posted:

When they first started selling off coal fired power stations I thought it was clever that the State government was getting out of a dying industry but privatise actually means subsidise your mates in the business de jure and gently caress the punter till they bleed. In theory a bunch of seemingly good things turn out to be really nasty bad stuff in practice.

Pretty much this. The actual plan is to sell off the infrastructure, Transgrid, Ausgrid and Endeavor, rather than the power stations, so the means of delivery will be in private hands rather than the coal stations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cartoon posted:

When they first started selling off coal fired power stations I thought it was clever that the State government was getting out of a dying industry but privatise actually means subsidise your mates in the business de jure and gently caress the punter till they bleed. In theory a bunch of seemingly good things turn out to be really nasty bad stuff in practice.

Yeah, it's nothing I'd ever trust any AU government to actually do, I guess I'm just bothered by the complete lack of rationale for any of the policies put forth by the Libs/Labor. It's not like I expect anything more but I do vaguely remember a time when they at least pretended to have ideas about things.

Laserface posted:

I dunno Poles and Wires seem sort of necessary to get power to (some) places, even when renewable is the primary source.

Well yeah, there's that issue, and there'll always be the issue of poorer/more remote communities having no choice but to go with private suppliers, plus you know the government would be strong-armed into paying subsidies to private energy companies for no loving reason.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 23, 2015

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nam Taf posted:

Online voting fucks up yet again

The fact that they run 3rd party analytics for visitor tracking on a voting site beggars belief.

I knew it was a terrible idea the moment I heard about it. I'm voting the old-fashioned way.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Well yeah, there's that issue, and there'll always be the issue of poorer/more remote communities having no choice but to go with private suppliers, plus you know the government would be strong-armed into paying subsidies to private energy companies for no loving reason.

Having everyone hooked up to a national grid is necessary to ensure high power quality and guarantee continuous service. Like phone lines, power lines are going to remain a vital utility for the foreseeable future. Leasing the power network is just going to lead to the creation of a new Telstra.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Seagull posted:

Can someone give me a bite-sized rundown on electing people to the upper house in NSW? Preferably in terms of differences to federal, I want to make sure I'm explaining this properly to some mates asking me.

Optional preferential voting above the line. You can vote 1 for the Greens above the line, and that will be a vote for the Greens candidates 1 - 15 below the line (15 is the minimum). If you vote 2 Labor, that will number the Labor candidates 16 - 30. You can keep going, but you only need to number 1. If you vote below the line, you have to number 15 boxes for a formal vote.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

ScreamingLlama posted:

I knew it was a terrible idea the moment I heard about it. I'm voting the old-fashioned way.

For an old fashioned party

:billshortenzinger:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Laserface posted:

The "No Land Tax" posters are labor?

gently caress me, they could make it a little more apparent. Same goes for the slightly less subtle "teach them both a lesson" posters.

Nah, the No Land Tax party is an actual thing, and they've even got first spot on the upper house ballot.

Seagull posted:

Can someone give me a bite-sized rundown on electing people to the upper house in NSW? Preferably in terms of differences to federal, I want to make sure I'm explaining this properly to some mates asking me.

If nobody's done this by tomorrow morning I'll put up an effort post then.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

I bet his definition of a racist is highly literal and he's not a racist because Islam is not a race duh. So he can tell those muzzos to go back to Afghanistan and nope not racist, not me.

The saddest part of the NSW election is that electricity privatisation is widely opposed by everyone, even a majority of Liberal voters, but Labor have poisoned the well so completely after ICAC that no one will vote for them. The Liberals for all intents are running unopposed, and NSW is going to suffer for it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Labor's got its own history of trying to privatise electricity here so I don't know if their heart is in it.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

These are always so funny/sad. My muslim loving family doesn't talk to me anymore! 😢

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Gee, thanks dad for those kind words.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Labor's got its own history of trying to privatise electricity here so I don't know if their heart is in it.

Of course the ALP don't really believe what they're saying, the NSW right faction will never not get hard at the thought of selling assets.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I'm glad that QLD Labor has proven themselves slightly better than other state Labors'. People often say QLD has a weird Anti-Privatisation culture. I don't find it weird at all and it's probably the only good frame of mind QLD has politically. The post-Newman LNP will probably never touch assets sales for a while.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Anidav posted:

I'm glad that QLD Labor has proven themselves slightly better than other state Labors'. People often say QLD has a weird Anti-Privatisation culture. I don't find it weird at all and it's probably the only good frame of mind QLD has politically. The post-Newman LNP will probably never touch assets sales for a while.

You are hella stupid.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Eh, Springborg is saying Asset Sales are no longer apart of LNP policy platform, I'm not saying the LNP are honest but it's what's there for now.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Newspoll 2 Party Preferred: L/NP 49 (+4) ALP 51 (-4)

:getin:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

If that's federal then I just don't know what to call it other than a spike in popularity due to... Onions?

Does eating an onion make you appear more or less human than Bill Shorten?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

V for Vegas posted:

Interesting.

If this is not a blip it will all come down to the budget now I reckon if Abbott can stop strange poo poo from coming out of or going into his mouth for five minutes.

Waiting for a wave of Bill Shorten small target/no policy type articles now.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Too soon.

Brayds2006
Aug 21, 2011
Despite that troubled Newspoll we also have this:

Morgan 2 Party Preferred : L/NP 44 (-2.5) ALP 56 (+2.5)

I've never seen two polls on the same day look so different.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Doesn't Morgan always do this?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
morgan sample size is 3,146, newspoll around 1,150

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Sorry, I didn't know that the Moss Review upset you so much. Have a happy squirrel by way of apology.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

Doesn't Morgan always do this?

The theory goes that Morgan tilts slightly towards Labor but I've no idea how accurate that is at the moment (and I haven't read / seen Bonham talk about it recently).

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I remember Morgan recording the Rudd bounce in 2013 to 60-40 Labor and then it evaporated.

Sometimes Morgan has a weird Labor slant but it seems to eventually correct itself in some manner.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Isn't there an argument to be made that privatising the electricity network is a good idea because it's a depreciating asset that's tied to a dying industry (fossil fuels), and that they could (won't ever) put the sales profits into renewables and other decentralised off-the-grid power sources?

[nerd post incoming]

I have two fundamental problems with privatising an essential service like power.

The first is that it's essential. The second is that it's a service.

It's nice when a government asset makes a profit, but that's not why they exist. They exist to serve the public and make our country run. When the government owns infrastructure, they tend to over build (yeah, once upon a loving time). So, if there's a sudden or sustained increased need for that service, they can cope.

But private enterprises don't do this. For one simple reason - they don't exist to make products or provide services.

If you ask someone what Ford does, they'll probably tell you they make cars. If you ask someone what Microsoft does, they'll probably tell you they make computer software and peripherals.

They're both wrong.

Ford, Microsoft and every other publicly listed company exist for one reason. To make money.

Ford makes money by selling cars. Microsoft makes money by selling computer software and peripherals. And so on.

Now, this is where most people jump in saying this is a pedantic distinction.

They're wrong about that, too.

Because remember those privately owned power companies? They're not there to provide all homes and businesses with a high quality, uninterrupted supply of electricity. They're only there to make money, too.

But what does this mean? Why bring it up?

For that we need to look no further than the California Electricity Crisis. Remember Enron? This is what they did in a nutshell:

quote:

California had an installed generating capacity of 45GW. At the time of the blackouts, demand was 28GW. A demand supply gap was created by energy companies, mainly Enron, to create an artificial shortage. Energy traders took power plants offline for maintenance in days of peak demand to increase the price. Traders were thus able to sell power at premium prices, sometimes up to a factor of 20 times its normal value.

The people of California thought Enron was there to power their homes, their streets, their businesses. They were wrong.

They deliberately shut down power stations to increase the price of electricity and increase their profits. Now, Enron did this in an hilariously illegal manner, but there are still ways private companies can gently caress an entire state and kill whole loads of people and never break a single law.

Imagine you're in Sydney and it's another of those killer summers, with temperatures over 40º all week. Bet you enjoy your electricity supply right now, hey?

But the Abbot/Pyne Power For 1000 Years PTY LTD Electrical Company sees that the price for electricity in Victoria is currently 3% higher than NSW prices. So what do they do? They send their power south and make a tidy bit of extra profit while Sydney suffers rolling brown outs. Heatstroke kills a bunch of young, sick and elderly people. Businesses are strained, some fail. Everyone's lives in Sydney sucks that little bit more.

The Abbot/Pyne Power Co. returns higher than expected profits that quarter. Shareholders are pleased.

THIS is why privatising an essential service is bad.

Companies aren't good or bad. That's not what I'm trying to say here. They're only the means whereby shareholders make money. You don't blame a scorpion for biting you. But you sure as hell don't trust your country's infrastructure to one either.

Government infrastructure exists only to serve the people. Because they're massively loving important and should never be defined by something so goddamn nearsighted as short-term profit when they are the backbone on which our entire nation is built.

There are some things which should only ever be the province of the state. Some things are more important than immediate profits. Some things that should get politicians hung from street lights when they try to gently caress with them to score cheap ideological points.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 23, 2015

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Getting Even With Dad is the greatest piece of cinema in the last thirty years.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The theory goes that Morgan tilts slightly towards Labor but I've no idea how accurate that is at the moment (and I haven't read / seen Bonham talk about it recently).

Morgan's apparently fairly accurate if you discount the respondent allocated prefs and allocate on last election prefs. Respondent allocated brings Morgan to 54-46.
It's weird, but Newspoll has been all over the place recently. It's been moving by units of +/- 3-4 for the last 3 polls or so.

Which is why commentary on individual poll movements is worthless, above and beyond that it can make news and become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Trend aggregates are the only thing that really matters.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

sidviscous posted:

Morgan's apparently fairly accurate if you discount the respondent allocated prefs and allocate on last election prefs. Respondent allocated brings Morgan to 54-46.
It's weird, but Newspoll has been all over the place recently. It's been moving by units of +/- 3-4 for the last 3 polls or so.

Which is why commentary on individual poll movements is worthless, above and beyond that it can make news and become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Trend aggregates are the only thing that really matters.

And of course, when we say it's "accurate" we mean that "it predicted the actual election fairly well". But of course, that assumes that the predictive power close to the election matches the predictive power a long way out from the election. There's few good reasons to believe that this is the case and many to believe that there isn't, and it's all unfalsifiable anyway.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Laserface posted:

Was gonna mention this one.

Why do all Australian films have the same vibe though?

I've noticed this with fiction as well; I read the Best Australian Stories of 2010 (I think) a while back and while they're all good, definitely, they all have this same melancholy vibe, this horrible world of drug addicts and broken marriages and existential ennui and child abuse. I'm not saying fiction needs to be funny or uplifting, or even that any individual story or film could be held to fault, but the overall impression is one of unrelenting drudgery.

Which, yeah, lol, I know the thread's official position is that Australia is the eighth circle of hell, but it's actually in total contrast to the sunny, wealthy, enjoyable reality of Australia. British and American art has far more variety in terms of emotional vibe. Or is it a lingering cultural cringe thing, a sense that serious drama has to be depressing?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HfBwVee6Ao

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

abbott is saving the great barrier reef! im voting for him next election. i really think he's changed : )

That you Anidav?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I don't think anyone is saving the reef.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Moron-Vision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

Hmm maybe this reflects on the ALP's bipartisan attitude towards horrible legislation like metadata retention and being accessories to human rights abuse in offshore detention cenhghghahahahahah

Even ignoring that it's a newspoll I don't really think any polls will mean anything until after the budget

• Locked thread