Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

rear end Catchcum posted:

Dude that's not the future that's loving lame.

No you're lame dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I will not buy anything that uses a battery until we have portable cold fusion.

(do not Toxx this)

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Dude that's not the future that's loving lame.
:ironicat:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Has anyone published the pricing for Applecare for these? I know the types of coverage has been, but not the $$$ amounts.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Jose Oquendo posted:

Has anyone published the pricing for Applecare for these? I know the types of coverage has been, but not the $$$ amounts.
You mean replacement costs? I don't think anyone could have any idea until they actually announce it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
If it's anything like their other products, replacements will be issued once a year.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

If it's anything like their other products, replacements will be issued once a year.

It's two per two years regardless of when the incidents occur.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Sorry; I meant you'll feel pressure to replace it once a year.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

Sorry; I meant you'll feel pressure to replace it once a year.

All of us sure are happy you're deciding to stick around this thread hating on a product that hasn't been released! Tell us more about how the Apple Watch is going to be a miserable product!

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yes, we highly value your wonderful insight and wisdom.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
The watch will be an interesting bellwether for Apple, being the first handheld product release since the iPod that isn't going to be available subsidized from multiple retail outlets. The iPad was a success on its own but I gotta figure a good percentage is from wireless carriers on payment plans.

I'm an iOS developer and also a big Apple fan, but even I'm short of a good use case for it, other than to have another screen to put into the rotation of screens to look at all day. We've had meetings with our clients about the watch and not even our clients are interested in pursuing watch extensions. Beyond what it already offers, I'm not sure what new experience the watch offers where we can provide innovation.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

I'm pretty set on getting the Sport. Just deciding on which band now. Probably black, blue would be the second choice.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

The iPad was a success on its own but I gotta figure a good percentage is from wireless carriers on payment plans.
I actually don't think this is remotely true, but don't have the data to back it up.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A bunch of my apps just got updates for the watch and now I"m getting excited. Seems to me that 3rd party apps are going to be what makes or breaks this device.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Which is why this will be the first wearable that doesn't suck. Pebble was good, but kind of a halfway their device. The app support and this thing is going to have (along with touch screen, etc) is going to blow everything away. Even Flipboard is supporting it, skimming through news articles on a watch is pretty killer.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I actually don't think this is remotely true, but don't have the data to back it up.

Yeah, the vast majority of ipads were wifi only. 9/10 as of 2012 figures. With hotspots being made a free part of most data plans since then I'm sure that only made the cellular models even less appealing.

https://gigaom.com/2012/03/20/sorry-carriers-9-out-of-10-tablets-sold-are-wi-fi/

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 31, 2015

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bottom Liner posted:

Which is why this will be the first wearable that doesn't suck. Pebble was good, but kind of a halfway their device. The app support and this thing is going to have (along with touch screen, etc) is going to blow everything away. Even Flipboard is supporting it, skimming through news articles on a watch is pretty killer.

Eh, the WatchKit API is really, really limited in what you can do with it. It's basically notifications and either paged views like the weather app, or master-detail views like the email app. The first version doesn't even support animations -- you have to use an animated GIF or similar if you want to fake animation.

I mean, I guess it remains to be seen what the "reading experience" is like on a watch, but I can't see how the likes of Flipboard or Twitter translate to a watch UI. Reminders, messaging, directions, sports updates, and weather apps -- apps that are defined by pushing timely information to you -- seem like a natural enough fit. Beyond that, I really don't know what the watch is going to offer.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Basing things on the resale market is a little dangerous because maybe everyone just loves their cellular ipads so much they aren't selling them, but, they're relatively rare compared to wifi ipads which suggests to me that it's possible that wifi ipads are a lot more popular.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I think trying to cram apps into a watch is backwards thinking. It's not supposed to be another phone. It should tell you the time, use voice control and show notifications. My only complaint about current smart watches is how ugly they all are.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Flipboard makes no sense on a watch. A watch is for quick notifications etc.

Why would you look at your watch to see a news article just to push it to your phone?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Kobayashi posted:

The first version doesn't even support animations -- you have to use an animated GIF or similar if you want to fake animation.

I mean, I guess it remains to be seen what the "reading experience" is like on a watch, but I can't see how the likes of Flipboard or Twitter translate to a watch UI.

The examples you used don't even need the things you're saying it can't do. You don't need anything animated for simple reading and flicking through tweets, pictures, or headlines.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Flipboard makes no sense on a watch. A watch is for quick notifications etc.

Why would you look at your watch to see a news article just to push it to your phone?

I love the idea of just skimming headlines and marking them to read later. That's something I would enjoy doing with the watch. That said, I'm still not sold on the device as a whole though I am seeing more ways I would use it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Reverse Centaur posted:

My only complaint about current smart watches is how ugly they all are.

Do people think the Apple Watch looks good? Like I'm not a big Apple guy and wasn't excited about the watch but the design was basically the one thing I was expecting them to nail. I was really disappointed though, I don't think it looks any better than the competition

The moto360 is basically the only one I've seen that looks good to me, maybe just because of the round screen

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Kobayashi posted:

Eh, the WatchKit API is really, really limited in what you can do with it. It's basically notifications and either paged views like the weather app, or master-detail views like the email app. The first version doesn't even support animations -- you have to use an animated GIF or similar if you want to fake animation.

I mean, I guess it remains to be seen what the "reading experience" is like on a watch, but I can't see how the likes of Flipboard or Twitter translate to a watch UI. Reminders, messaging, directions, sports updates, and weather apps -- apps that are defined by pushing timely information to you -- seem like a natural enough fit. Beyond that, I really don't know what the watch is going to offer.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Haven't they said that they will release an API that allows more full fledged apps on the watch? The current apps are limited to basically running as extensions on the phone from what I've read...

I'll also say that reading/skimming apps are gonna be the low hanging fruit of apple watch apps. Give devs a few months with the device so they figure out what UI modalities work and which don't...then we will see the good stuff. The fact that Apple places the watch largely as a platform is what excites me the most about it.

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 31, 2015

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Help Im Alive posted:

Do people think the Apple Watch looks good? Like I'm not a big Apple guy and wasn't excited about the watch but the design was basically the one thing I was expecting them to nail. I was really disappointed though, I don't think it looks any better than the competition

The moto360 is basically the only one I've seen that looks good to me, maybe just because of the round screen

It looks reasonable.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

shodanjr_gr posted:

Haven't they said that they will release an API that allows more full fledged apps on the watch? The current apps are limited to basically running as extensions on the phone from what I've read...

I'll also say that reading/skimming apps are gonna be the low hanging fruit of apple watch apps. Give devs a few months with the device so they figure out what UI modalities work and which don't...then we will see the good stuff. The fact that Apple places the watch largely as a platform is what excites me the most about it.

It's called WatchKit. You can read the details here, without a developer account:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/General/Conceptual/WatchKitProgrammingGuide/index.html

While I have no doubt future versions will be more powerful, the current models are all about notifications and two very simple app modes. I doubt you'll see any substantial changes before WWDC in June at the earliest.

Bottom Liner posted:

The examples you used don't even need the things you're saying it can't do. You don't need anything animated for simple reading and flicking through tweets, pictures, or headlines.

I was saying that I, personally, don't think these are good candidates for watch apps. I don't believe that people will opt to hold their wrists at an awkward angle and read and swipe a tiny screen to read when they have an iPhone in their pocket. Beyond that, I was trying to say that the API doesn't let you do much more than digest notifications and navigate very simple apps. Any "killer app" needs to work within those constraints. Think of something awesome that relies heavily on notifications and the sensors the watch has on board and I believe you're much closer to fabulous riches than porting a glorified RSS reader a la Flipboard.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Kobayashi posted:

It's called WatchKit. You can read the details here, without a developer account:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/General/Conceptual/WatchKitProgrammingGuide/index.html

While I have no doubt future versions will be more powerful, the current models are all about notifications and two very simple app modes. I doubt you'll see any substantial changes before WWDC in June at the earliest.

Watchkit is the existing API which, as far as I understand, runs the majority of the application logic on the phone and just pushes a presentation layer to the watch. It feels to me that it was written with two main considerations in mind, preserving battery life and allowing apps to reflow to arbitrary screen shapes. As I said, I believe apple said at some point during/after the first keynote that they were going to release a more lower level API at some point, but I could be mistaken.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

shodanjr_gr posted:

Watchkit is the existing API which, as far as I understand, runs the majority of the application logic on the phone and just pushes a presentation layer to the watch. It feels to me that it was written with two main considerations in mind, preserving battery life and allowing apps to reflow to arbitrary screen shapes. As I said, I believe apple said at some point during/after the first keynote that they were going to release a more lower level API at some point, but I could be mistaken.

I don't remember hearing anything like that, but yes, WatchKit works a lot like extensions, offloading most of the heavy lifting to the phone. Personally, I doubt we'll see a substantially different model until there are Apple Watches that work without an iPhone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Why do you think this will be a good use for it? :psyduck: You could use the watch, which requires the use of both arms/hands, is tiny, will show half a headline (or tweet or instagram post etc) and gets awful active use battery life, or you could use your nice big screened easy to read phone in one hand, which is easy to read and gets great battery life? Oh and you have to have it with you anyway for the watch to function.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2014/11/18Developers-Start-Designing-Apps-for-Apple-Watch.html

"Starting later next year, developers will be able to create fully native apps for Apple Watch."

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2014/11/18Developers-Start-Designing-Apps-for-Apple-Watch.html

"Starting later next year, developers will be able to create fully native apps for Apple Watch."

I wonder if that's because the expect next year's model to have better battery life.

And to the guy questioning the looks, I agree that the Moto looks better. Any round watch does, really. But it's an inefficient use of the space on your wrist and as a way to display info. Plus the Moto has this weird letter boxing thing going on that looks like crap when you see it in action. There are watches where the full circle of the face is a functioning screen and those look better.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Wait, really? Have you guys seen the Moto in the wild? The thing looked huge. I can't imagine any but the largest of women wearing it really.

I don't know how the Apple Watch looks in person but at least there's a smaller size.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

smackfu posted:

Huh, weird. It's odd for Apple to telegraph its moves like that. I wonder if this really does signal some kind of forthcoming "WatchKit 2.0," or if it something more mundane. Perhaps it simply means that WatchKit apps will not require a host app on the iPhone. Either way, I'm skeptical that Apple would go through the trouble of outlining a very strict app model but let developers go hog wild less than a year later.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, the vast majority of ipads were wifi only. 9/10 as of 2012 figures. With hotspots being made a free part of most data plans since then I'm sure that only made the cellular models even less appealing.

https://gigaom.com/2012/03/20/sorry-carriers-9-out-of-10-tablets-sold-are-wi-fi/

The data plans for years were jacked as gently caress for years,, all the carriers they wanted like $50 a month for the iPad data plan with a separate data bucket which makes no sense with phones having hotspots now, I would have told anyone that wasn't getting their company to pay for it not to get a cellular iPad. That said carriers unjacked their data plans and you can share your phone data for like $10 a month which for me and I'm guessing a lot of people it is worth the convenience with the added bonus that the carriers will finance the devices with zero interest.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Kobayashi posted:

Huh, weird. It's odd for Apple to telegraph its moves like that. I wonder if this really does signal some kind of forthcoming "WatchKit 2.0," or if it something more mundane. Perhaps it simply means that WatchKit apps will not require a host app on the iPhone. Either way, I'm skeptical that Apple would go through the trouble of outlining a very strict app model but let developers go hog wild less than a year later.

1) Necessary to build developer confidence in the long term. 2) Apple has been hesitant to release new tech very wide before getting sample data back on how they can better the experience. I think apps will eventually be untethered from the iPhone (not the watch altogether) but they need some usage data and metrics on how those apps behave together. A similar thing happened with touch ID. It was apple only then they opened it up somewhat to developers.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Three Olives posted:

The data plans for years were jacked as gently caress for years,, all the carriers they wanted like $50 a month for the iPad data plan with a separate data bucket which makes no sense with phones having hotspots now, I would have told anyone that wasn't getting their company to pay for it not to get a cellular iPad. That said carriers unjacked their data plans and you can share your phone data for like $10 a month which for me and I'm guessing a lot of people it is worth the convenience with the added bonus that the carriers will finance the devices with zero interest.

What? No. Not in the US anyway. All the iPad plans were contract-free prepaid plans and relatively reasonable(in the generally unreasonable scope of data plans from cell carriers.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

What? No. Not in the US anyway. All the iPad plans were contract-free prepaid plans and relatively reasonable(in the generally unreasonable scope of data plans from cell carriers.)
AT&T's plan is still $30 for 3 GB and $50 for 5 GB of data, which, if you're using your iPad away from wifi a lot is probably what you want to get. Verizon is similar. Sprint and T-Mo have their own plans, and, really these were all pretty much what you'd pay for a data plan on a phone back when the first iPad came out, but with data sharing they don't make a lot of sense for people who have smartphones.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I wonder if that's because the expect next year's model to have better battery life.

That was posted in 2014, so it meant this year.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Agronox posted:

Wait, really? Have you guys seen the Moto in the wild? The thing looked huge. I can't imagine any but the largest of women wearing it really.

I don't know how the Apple Watch looks in person but at least there's a smaller size.

My watch is bigger than the 360 and it would look silly if it was any smaller. People are different sizes and I'm not especially huge. I just took this pic

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is this the new 'I made a cardboard cutout the size of the phone to see if it fits in my cargo jorts'

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Agronox posted:

I own one and have smaller wrists and it is not big at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I own one and have smaller wrists and it is not big at all

Depends on your wrist size. The 360 is wider than the top plane of my wrist.

• Locked thread