Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Oh here's another one from that comments thread!

quote:

i'm not sure where you get your facts but I graduated high school in seventy seven and went to jr. College because I could not yet afford a 4 year college. I worked a minimum wage job plus commission and it was tough then. today, I am a business owner who has hired employees for the past seventeen years..... It is extremely difficult to find anyone who believes in working hard and being ethical. Also our Gov't makes it almost impossible to hire multiple employee's because they tax us so much. We payed two employees $1400 a piece and $1400 went to pay taxes and ins. for all that we had to pay out in taxes and insurance we could have hired a third person and helped the unemployment totals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
1400...per month? I wonder how hard working and ethical he'd feel at 8.75 an hour. And it's telling he doesn't break down that "taxes and insurance."

Oh, and think how much he'd help the unemployment stats if he stopped paying for insurance and an employee got injured to the point they couldn't work and was unable to afford treatment. Then you've got someone who isn't counted as unemployed because they're not looking for work, AND you've not only taken them out of the unemployment figures to begin with, you're also taking their replacement out.

drat government!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Yeah I bet having 3 people with no health insurance or social security benefits at retirement age would loving suck rear end for them, but it would be good for business- :fuckoff:

Also tell that selfish prick what else has changed since 1977:

"Why can't all these poor people today do what I did 30 years ago that's multiple times over more expensive and difficult today?" :monocle:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

poop device posted:

It's always great to see these come up in the wild. At least, I suppose, they are incredulous.

I saw this today too; one of my pharmacy classmates found it on the "Feminists against Vaccination" page. Someone noticed the watermark and said it was from a satire group, so I linked the photoshop phriday page for them. Didn't stop the next three people from commenting on how ignorant people are without noticing the explained joke.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Been in business for 17 years and he only has two employees? Sounds like someone's a slacker :smug:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Shoving all her business' troubles on her employees' and the government's shoulders? Sounds like someone lacks personal responsibility.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

The family insurance at my last employer would have cost 90 percent of my 11.35 an hour. Just me it would have been free; so also no subsidies for my wife and child if I'd stayed there. (Thanks Obama!)

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

For reference, the "reclaim australia march" is some sort of retard march of people who don't like muslims protesting againt, uh, halal food.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Coming to think of it, something about this ever-present fixation on "hard work" in american discourse is actually pretty off-putting. It's like working yourself to death is considered pretty much a pre-requisite before you can even start to merely hope for something better. The idea that maybe somebody should be able to have a dignified and pleasant life by working competently but also comfortably, without breaking their back in the process, just doesn't seem to occur.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

duck monster posted:

For reference, the "reclaim australia march" is some sort of retard march of people who don't like muslims protesting againt, uh, halal food.

"Musselwhite" is too apt in this context.

What does he imagine the definition of racist is?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Perestroika posted:

Coming to think of it, something about this ever-present fixation on "hard work" in american discourse is actually pretty off-putting. It's like working yourself to death is considered pretty much a pre-requisite before you can even start to merely hope for something better. The idea that maybe somebody should be able to have a dignified and pleasant life by working competently but also comfortably, without breaking their back in the process, just doesn't seem to occur.

Yeah I had an argument with someone like that over facebook. Friend of a friend in his mid-50s who had a fairly privileged upbringing (like getting a 3k inheritance in the 1980s and graduating college debt-free) who kept talking about how the problem with kids these days is that they don't want to work if they're not getting paid enough and back when he was younger he worked two jobs to support himself, etc, etc. My friend and I were telling him about the fact that it's just significantly harder get off the ground as a young adult these days considering the lack of jobs, and the average student loan debt of $30k. He kept talking about how we didn't know what we were talking about, that we just have to put in some effort and we'd be able to get jobs and make money, even after I told him that I already have a job and have been working 7 days a week for a while now. Just kept mentioning that kids have it so easy these days because we have stuff like monster.com and back then he had to actually look for a job.

Like, drat, I can't imagine being more out of touch.

The kicker is that he has two kids whose college tuition he completely paid off. One has worked odd jobs but is currently unemployed and the other has been in and out of trouble with law enforcement since high school, costing pops there over six figures in legal fees. Maybe he should have spent his time parenting instead of working 2-3 jobs his whole life?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Presumably that it's not racist to hate all members of a religion because see their religion really is savage and evil so it's okay to hate them...

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Presumably that it's not racist to hate all members of a religion because see their religion really is savage and evil so it's okay to hate them...

He didn't even know the definition of a racist. He was just defending his Muslim friends.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

VitalSigns posted:

Also, it's not actually a religion, it's an ideology.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah, given I grew up under similar conditions to PJ, less psychosis, same amount of voodoo 'medicine is bad, mental illnesses arent reel' same ACE utter horseshit, same angry outbursts when you say you hear something otherwise to their bubble views. I DO kind of intrinsically hate Christians and distrust them.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I pointed out to the tea bagger who posted this on Facebook that this graphic is bullshit because it doesn't take into account that African Americans only account for 13% of the American population. He replied back ranting about Ferguson.

Yeah, according to these numbers a higher percentage of black people will be the victims of white on black crime than the percentage of white people who are victims of black on white crime.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Also, it's not actually a religion, it's an ideology.

Thanks Bill

StealthArcher posted:

Yeah, given I grew up under similar conditions to PJ, less psychosis, same amount of voodoo 'medicine is bad, mental illnesses arent reel' same ACE utter horseshit, same angry outbursts when you say you hear something otherwise to their bubble views. I DO kind of intrinsically hate Christians and distrust them.

I don't really know that a specific cult denomination of maybe a few hundred thousand people at most is a good comparison to a loose and theologically varied category of over a billion people :shrug:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 23, 2015

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

I don't really know that a specific cult denomination of maybe a few hundred thousand people at most is a good comparison to a loose and theologically varied category of over a billion people :shrug:
Yep, it is a silly thing, just one thats kind of a reflex at this point. I know it's wrong to assume that and am working past it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

duck monster posted:

"Very tame."

By which he means they were virulently hateful and his son just got pissed off that his father is such a blatant bigot. Anyone who protests against halal food is probably a horrendous bigot. Of course, the real problem is that his son won't tolerate his intolerance!!!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Anyone who protests against halal food is probably a horrendous bigot.
Some of them are just misguided animal rights activists who think that all halal meat is slaughtered without stunning.

Then again some of those will then double down when challenged and say that stunning doesn't work anyway, so halal still needs to be banned, but just halal and not all meat. :psyduck:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Guavanaut posted:

Some of them are just misguided animal rights activists who think that all halal meat is slaughtered without stunning.

Then again some of those will then double down when challenged and say that stunning doesn't work anyway, so halal still needs to be banned, but just halal and not all meat. :psyduck:
They'd never say the same thing about kosher, though.

I know a TON of animal rights activists and I've never heard anyone say anything about halal food. Maybe none of them are misguided but I question whether this is anything beyond just a few people who probably end up using it as cover for bigotry.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

I know a TON of animal rights activists and I've never heard anyone say anything about halal food. Maybe none of them are misguided but I question whether this is anything beyond just a few people who probably end up using it as cover for bigotry.

Same here. I've never heard an animal rights argument against halal coming from an animal rights activist. It sounds to me like the "environmentalist" arguments from anti-immigration groups.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

It's been making its way around tumblr recently as those kids are starting to learn about new things.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

You say that now...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I've heard it a few times. And if you raise kosher as an objection they'll usually agree and say "that's awful too, animal welfare should come before any religion, but the amount of kosher meat produced is far lower than the amount of halal meat."

e: Which is true, but most halal slaughterhouses use the exact same slaughter method as normal, they just put any animal that dies from the stunning and not the bleeding in the non-halal pile. So any issues they have should be meat industry issues and not Islamic issues. I blame the press bringing up halal as if it's some kind of new scary issue.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 23, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Real quick since this is on topic: I had heard once that many Jews and Muslims consider halal and kosher meats to be completely interchangeable. As in a Jew can eat halal meat and a Muslim can eat kosher meat and because the two practices are so similar that they both meet the spiritual requirements for one another. Is this true in any way or have I been misled?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Who What Now posted:

Real quick since this is on topic: I had heard once that many Jews and Muslims consider halal and kosher meats to be completely interchangeable. As in a Jew can eat halal meat and a Muslim can eat kosher meat and because the two practices are so similar that they both meet the spiritual requirements for one another. Is this true in any way or have I been misled?
I think the key is 'if the alternative is not available'. If you're a Jew in a foreign land, then it is preferable to eat kosher if you can find it, halal if you can't reasonably find kosher, and then anything else if you can't reasonably find either.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Who What Now posted:

This is just one of many articles on the matter I've found, and a pretty well-written one from my limited knowledge. In general, it seems like many Muslims can treat kosher meat as halal, but halal meat doesn't meet kosher standards. I, or this article, could be wrong, but I thought I'd at least share a source on the matter.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

So uh any Seattle goons in the house?

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/truth-needle-is-15-wage-dooming-seattle-restaurants-owners-say-no/

A lot of people are saying that $15 / hour in Seattle has forced closure of restaurants despite the fact that we aren't even close to minimum wage yet.

Oh hey, speaking of Starbucks!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

seiferguy posted:

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/truth-needle-is-15-wage-dooming-seattle-restaurants-owners-say-no/

A lot of people are saying that $15 / hour in Seattle has forced closure of restaurants despite the fact that we aren't even close to minimum wage yet.

Oh hey, speaking of Starbucks!

I am sure the irony of countering a discussion on racism with a load of conservative talking points is lost on this person.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Some restaurants have closed in anticipation of the minimum wage hike. Apparently they are so convinced they'll go broke they'll cut their losses while they're ahead.

Oh well, this is capitalism. A better run company would have taken its place anyway.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
We had to watch 'The Eternal Jew' (Nazi propaganda film made to justify repression against Jews) in a Political Propaganda class a few years back, and I remember there was a pretty big section of the movie talking about how cruel and barbaric kosher meat was (including a scene of a lamb being slaughtered) and how the Jews were cruel to animals and had no concern for animal rights and blahblahblah.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

VitalSigns posted:

Also Islam is not a race, so being anti-muslim cannot possibly be racism.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Mister Bates posted:

We had to watch 'The Eternal Jew' (Nazi propaganda film made to justify repression against Jews) in a Political Propaganda class a few years back, and I remember there was a pretty big section of the movie talking about how cruel and barbaric kosher meat was (including a scene of a lamb being slaughtered) and how the Jews were cruel to animals and had no concern for animal rights and blahblahblah.
:laffo:. Of loving course.

The next time I hear anti-halal nonsense I'll act like the conservatives that claim they'll eat MORE meat if someone's a vegetarian or waste gas if someone drives a hybrid: make special trips to the halal grocery and pick up the good poo poo.

Seriously, my local halal grocery always has good stuff.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Brawnfire posted:

Probably just your standard case of "Racists are bad people, but I'm not a bad person, therefore I can't be racist."

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

:laffo:. Of loving course.

The next time I hear anti-halal nonsense I'll act like the conservatives that claim they'll eat MORE meat if someone's a vegetarian or waste gas if someone drives a hybrid: make special trips to the halal grocery and pick up the good poo poo.

Seriously, my local halal grocery always has good stuff.

Yeah, there's a great international market near me with some fantastic deals and good quality meat. My only complaint is that, for extremely obvious reasons, I cannot buy pork there. It's not a big deal though; there's a generic supermarket a couple blocks away that has me covered on that front.

I will never understand people freaking out about halal or kosher meat. If you're not Jewish or Muslim, it means literally nothing whatsoever to you, other than that the meat might be slightly higher quality, maybe.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Dirk the Average posted:

I will never understand people freaking out about halal or kosher meat. If you're not Jewish or Muslim, it means literally nothing whatsoever to you, other than that the meat might be slightly higher quality, maybe.

People you don't like probably don't bathe or stay hygienic. Or maybe they literally want to kill you and will sell you poisoned meat.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

So uh any Seattle goons in the house?

via Occupy Seattle:

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-no-the-minimum-wage-isnt-20150316-column.html

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Mister Bates posted:

That was a great propaganda piece. For those not in the know, what they did was show an animal thrashing after its throat was slit, to show how in pain it was. This was provided of course without context, so that the average moviegoers who don't know anything about farm practices or animal husbandry wouldn't pick up on things like "the throat was cut in a way as to prevent pain to the animal" and "the animal is not thrashing in pain, but out of confusion due to blood loss." They also called hoisting it up on a hook so the blood drained faster something like unnecessary cruelty despite the fact that every butcher does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
New developments in technology and culture require a conversation about how they mesh with previously established rights. We didn't decide that the First Amendment doesn't apply to means of communication developed after 1791, but we did have to actually think about how it would work. The Second Amendment was written when America didn't have a standing army and "arms" generally meant muskets. That doesn't inherently mean newer weapons don't fall under the 2nd Amendment, but we do need the conversation about it to evolve beyond "MUH GUNS!!!!! :bahgawd: