Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Ok I just witnessed a metro train wait for the street above it to clear of traffic before rolling into the station. Twice. I would have recorded it but my PC barely runs this as it is.

Anyone else notice that? Known issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Speaking of train trouble, I loaded my game and found this. It completely clogged my train route until I deleted the bridge.

Deleting it actually made it make more sense

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Is... that a metro train surfacing for air?

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Pro-tier :spergin: right there.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hay goons, here is my initial lovely release of my office tower:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412642296&tscn=1427106926

A 210 meter tall 7x7 ploppable unique building. Broken LOD at the moment but I'll push an update when I fix it and make the base textures a little darker to match the real building.
$160,000 to build, similar size (but taller) and stats as the High Interest unique tower.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

cthulhoo posted:

Pro-tier :spergin: right there.

My eyes do not like what they are seeing. I am also reminded of Magnasanti.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Jamfrost posted:

My eyes do not like what they are seeing. I am also reminded of Magnasanti.

Did this interview with the Magnasanti guy ge posted yet?

http://www.vice.com/read/the-totalitarian-buddhist-who-beat-sim-city

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Steak posted:

Does anyone have any idea why traffic is avoiding the highlighted off-ramp like it has the plague? Trucks that should be using said off-ramp are using an interchange further down the line to turn around and it's causing a huge congestion issue. All my other interchanges work great and I've tried a few different designs but I just cannot get anyone to use this one.

I can see the bottom of the offramp is going the correct direction, but are you sure the top is? Remember, ramps are 1 way streets, so you have to build them in the direction you want them to flow. Sometimes I'll absentmindedly build half the correct direction, and the other in the wrong direction when trying to get the ramp to line up correctly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I kind of wish when I wanted to put a road down it would just demolish the stuff in the way. My first city I had the population at 7500 or so and the only place with bad traffic was the road coming into the city/industrial area and trying to build a bigger road was a nightmare

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Anything else you'd like to add? posted:

If anyone's wondering, I am not autistic, or a savant, nor suffer from OCD, or suffer from any other form of clinical mental disease or illness for that matter.

good point

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Magnasanti is outsider art.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Orgophlax posted:

I can see the bottom of the offramp is going the correct direction, but are you sure the top is? Remember, ramps are 1 way streets, so you have to build them in the direction you want them to flow. Sometimes I'll absentmindedly build half the correct direction, and the other in the wrong direction when trying to get the ramp to line up correctly.

You can select upgrade and right-click a one-way street / ramp to change the direction

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I don't think this mod has been posted yet. I've been using it from the start:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406623071&searchtext=

It replaces that annoying Chripy window with a customizable text scroller. It's far less in-your-face but still lets you receive useful information.

Only downside is that you can't click on the names of the chirpers to find them in your city.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Ugh I love this game but I am paralysed by all the options it gives. I have a constant internal battle going on between building a city that looks nice and organic and a part of me that goes BEEP BOOP that is not efficient must build grids. I keep getting up to about 5,000 people before deciding I'm not happy and starting over.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Steak posted:

Does anyone have any idea why traffic is avoiding the highlighted off-ramp like it has the plague? Trucks that should be using said off-ramp are using an interchange further down the line to turn around and it's causing a huge congestion issue. All my other interchanges work great and I've tried a few different designs but I just cannot get anyone to use this one.

Yellow marked highway is in the wrong direction.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

I've always wanted my RX-78-2 Gundam Statue in-game!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

SwissCM posted:

I don't think this mod has been posted yet. I've been using it from the start:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406623071&searchtext=

It replaces that annoying Chripy window with a customizable text scroller. It's far less in-your-face but still lets you receive useful information.

Only downside is that you can't click on the names of the chirpers to find them in your city.

Why in the gently caress would anyone want to turn off Chirpy!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tindahbawx posted:

Is that map on Workshop? It looks really nice, I love making housing terraces up the sides of hills.

Yup, it's mine. Here's the link:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410753862

Also placing a port here seemed like a good idea at the time:

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

SwissCM posted:

I didn't even know you could do that! That's pretty neat.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I was thinking of picking a game that can idle in the background at slow speed while I do other things and then pay attention for 10 minutes before letting it run along for a while again. I've usually used the Anno series for this, because you can build more or less independent neighbours, then tweak the supply/demand chains and wait ten minutes to see the results wihtout anything catastrophic happening.

Can I do that with Cities? Does the city stop evolving when it runs out of zones to build in, so suddenly I don't end up with massive unemployment because I'm not micromanaging the budget every second or something like that?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Wooper posted:

Yellow marked highway is in the wrong direction.

Whoah good catch, can just see a sliver of one of the arrows in the bottom corner.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drunkill posted:

Hay goons, here is my initial lovely release of my office tower:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412642296&tscn=1427106926

A 210 meter tall 7x7 ploppable unique building. Broken LOD at the moment but I'll push an update when I fix it and make the base textures a little darker to match the real building.
$160,000 to build, similar size (but taller) and stats as the High Interest unique tower.

You gonna make a (presumably smaller) growable version? I like growables.

Also, if you can, make it more reflective, I think. And a bit darker glass.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

SwissCM posted:

Holy poo poo. This is going to make it so much easier to find the people I forget to give water to.

There's always one guy in every new development showering with bottled water for like a month.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

I was thinking of picking a game that can idle in the background at slow speed while I do other things and then pay attention for 10 minutes before letting it run along for a while again. I've usually used the Anno series for this, because you can build more or less independent neighbours, then tweak the supply/demand chains and wait ten minutes to see the results wihtout anything catastrophic happening.

Can I do that with Cities? Does the city stop evolving when it runs out of zones to build in, so suddenly I don't end up with massive unemployment because I'm not micromanaging the budget every second or something like that?

This game is pretty drat forgiving, unless you mix drinking water and sewage.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Fat Samurai posted:

I'll let you know when I've finished expanding a single city without starting a new one because I found a map I really like on the workshop.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

This game is pretty drat forgiving, unless you mix drinking water and sewage.
Or run out of landfill/cemetery space.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

...I think I need more buses.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

How do I figure out where people want to go? I'm planning to start building some metro/buss lines, but I don't know where anyone really want to go, do I just need to follow people from the places with heavy traffic?

Helicoprion
Oct 31, 2010
Just started work on South Sudan's newest city.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

KnoxZone posted:

...I think I need more buses.

We need double-decker busses. Something to upgrade city vehicles.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BombermanX posted:

We need double-decker busses. Something to upgrade city vehicles.

Being able to buy a new type of bus or train would be pretty cool.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

MikeJF posted:

Being able to buy a new type of bus or train would be pretty cool.

Requesting maglev and monorail mods, ti

In all seriousness, SC13 had a cool idea with ploppables. I'd love to add modules to my mass transit terminals to upgrade them.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What we really need is a new Cities In Motion that's on the same level of quality as this game

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Has anyone requested that blatant model rips from other games been taken down?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

rt4 posted:

What we really need is a new Cities In Motion that's on the same level of quality as this game

Speaking of CiM, does this game have all of the buildings etc from CiM 1 and 2? I mean, I assume at the very least CiM 2 would be about suited graphically. Maybe a quick texture spruce-up.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 23, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I am still awaiting a cities skylines Magnasanti. I know that it will freak me out just as much of the original.
Seriously, that video is really loving creepy for some reason.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A toll booth would be nice. A way to discourage traffic down clogged routes while making bank at the same time. Loved those things in SC4.

Other random suggestions:

Different types of waste. Industry could produce a special waste that can't be incinerated, for example. Recycling and compost would also be cool.

High-tech industry. Maybe this exists and I just don't know it? Requires very high education and good land value. Research labs, communications, manufacturing etc would all be neat. Its odd how industry is so resource based.

Winter. Probably impossible, but I laugh to think how traffic would flow after a snow storm and plows trying to clear the streets.

Re-vamped transit. I know there are mods, but it needs a good amount of work to even things out and make systems more usable. Putting down individual bus stops is fun the first few times, but I'd rather drag a route or something. Integrated route query tools are sorely needed. And why the hell do I unlock subways before regular trains?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

rt4 posted:

I'm not so sure. SC's traffic simulation seems to be lifted directly from CIM2, it has the same quirks. The problem with CIM2 boiled down to poor graphics, a drab city design and (initially) very limited vehicle pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

rt4 posted:

Could end up being DLC?