Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Parachute posted:

Cruz is smart in the sense that he knows he has not only no chance of a nomination, but no chance of becoming President so he just starts his race early hoping to catch big donators as early as possible.

You're ascribing a level of self-awareness he's yet to demonstrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
He did also release a 2:20 English-language version of his campaign pitch and it will shock you if you know literally nothing about Ted Cruz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEOKJRkhpxg

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Good Citizen posted:

Every indication is that Cruz really really wants to be president and is willing to burn the party to the ground if he can't get what he wants.

Agreed. I don't know where people are getting the idea that he has a reasonable understanding of his own ability. He pretty clearly loves himself over anything else and probably considers the presidency his destiny more than Mitt ever did.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Remember that anyone who reaches the level of senator probably has an entire team surrounding him and validating him at all times. And libertarians already lack all self-awareness, so

Parachute
May 18, 2003

comes along bort posted:

You're ascribing a level of self-awareness he's yet to demonstrate.

But if he ever exhibits any kind of self-awareness, someone could possibly catch on to his giant scam!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Ted Cruz forgot the first rule of running for office in the information age: Register all domains before someone else does.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
OK, so I just read like the last 200 posts, and :stare: loving Ted Cruz is really doing this?

Someone please reassure me that he has no path to the nomination and especially no path to the White House.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Alter Ego posted:

OK, so I just read like the last 200 posts, and :stare: loving Ted Cruz is really doing this?

Someone please reassure me that he has no path to the nomination and especially no path to the White House.

He has no path to the nomination whatsoever, and will exist largely to sink everyone else.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
BTW so I saw it in that Ted Cruz video and this is something that's always bugged me. What's the deal with the national debt clock? Did a politician really think at some point "hey it's good publicity if we give all these people (who have no idea how national debt works' the impression that we're irresponsibly spending their money'?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Dancer posted:

BTW so I saw it in that Ted Cruz video and this is something that's always bugged me. What's the deal with the national debt clock? Did a politician really think at some point "hey it's good publicity if we give all these people (who have no idea how national debt works' the impression that we're irresponsibly spending their money'?

No, they literally thought "If people see these numbers get bigger they'll blame Obama!"

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The government shutdown was immensely unpopular and his name was all over it. He is unpopular with the Republican establishment. Presidential primaries tend to be won by moderates and general elections moreso.

It's not happening.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

No, they literally thought "If people see these numbers get bigger they'll blame Obama!"

I'm fairly confident I saw that clock in ads before Obama. My question is why did someone build the thing?

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Alter Ego posted:

Cruz is just the sort of clown I can see the Republicans nominating because unlike the Democrats, Republicans have balls.

Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
"The guy who graduated magna cum laude from Harvard is a dumb baby idiot for thinking wrong things about politics :smuggo:" - an unemployed goon

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Meg From Family Guy posted:

"The guy who graduated magna cum laude from Harvard is a dumb baby idiot for thinking wrong things about politics :smuggo:" - an unemployed goon

Because having a college degree from an Ivy == not an idiot, guys. Just look at George W. Bush!

Seriously, you're not even trying.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Alter Ego posted:

Because having a college degree from an Ivy == not an idiot, guys. Just look at George W. Bush!

Seriously, you're not even trying.

Is this where someone jumps in and say that GWB wasn't actually stupid, he just played an idiot on TV?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

AsInHowe posted:

He has no path to the nomination whatsoever, and will exist largely to sink everyone else.

Perfect

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The best part of being an unlikable shitheel and announcing your running for president is when people start dishing all the dirt about you.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Alter Ego posted:

The sheer insanity that would have to transpire for Ted Cruz to get the nomination would basically leave the GOP a pile of ash. If literally everyone else in the race imploded, it's more likely that they'd just nominate Mitt Romney again then actually nominate Ted Cruz.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Dancer posted:

During the recession the US could borrow money at effectively negative interest and conservatives were still freaking out about the the debt.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

VanSandman posted:

Agreed. I don't know where people are getting the idea that he has a reasonable understanding of his own ability. He pretty clearly loves himself over anything else and probably considers the presidency his destiny more than Mitt ever did.
Yeah he's basically burned every bridge he's got in Texas Politics by pissing off Perry and the Republican Establishment here, all the way back to Cruz becoming a Senator in the first place. The Texas Establishment wanted a guy named David Dewhurst to be Senator, and dumped a ton of money into him, but Cruz blindsided everybody and pulled the rug out from under Dewhurst's feet. And then because this is Texas, anybody with an (R) next to their name wins the statewide elections, thus we have Senator Ted Cruz.

This means that Cruz has nowhere to comfortably fall back to (the Texas Republican Establishment will be out for Cruz's blood in 2018 for all the poo poo he's pulled) and Cruz is staking everything on the presidential run, and will burn down everything if he thinks it will get him what he wants. However:

AsInHowe posted:

I called it on the first page:

fade5 posted:

Yeah Cruz is going to be really important even if he doesn't get the nomination, just because he is a Tea Party True Believer and will not hesitate to attack every single other nominee as "not conservative enough".

For a preview of what this will look like, imagine what happened to Perry on immigration, but for every issue.:allears:
:getin: Strap in motherfuckers cause it's starting!

fade5 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 23, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Does he actually think he can win, or is this a book deal and tv pundit circuit golden parachute he's going for?

He's gotta know he can't win this time around, but he definitely thinks he will be President one day.

I reckon he's probably trying to pull a Reagan. Boost his national profile and set himself up as the 2020/2024 Buyers' Remorse candidate for everyone who will be super mad at the eventual losing nominee in 2016, capitalizing on all the inevitable "we lost because we didn't nominate a Real Conservative" fervor.

This won't work because the circumstances are super different from Reagan v. Ford and also because the man is no Ronald Reagan, but it's all I can think of.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 23, 2015

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

MC Nietzche posted:

Is this where someone jumps in and say that GWB wasn't actually stupid, he just played an idiot on TV?

I mean I hate to be put into the position of defending Ted Cruz of all people but you don't graduate cum laude from Princeton and magna cum laude from Harvard Law School with George W. Bush brains. Comparing the two is incredibly dumb.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ted Cruz 2016 is a... upside down burning flag.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

MC Nietzche posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.

Ring the bells that still will ring
Forget about your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

-Which describes the current state of American politics frighteningly well, actually.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Jrodefeld in the libertarian/AnCap thread shed some light on how libertarians apparently view candidates like Cruz - he recognizes that Cruz will never win, that there will probably never be a hardcore libertarian president, and that a libertarian president couldn't necessarily even change that much without support in Congress, but libertarians are convinced candidates like Cruz "get people talking" about libertarianism, in a way that will set the stage for a mainstream libertarian political movement. As if people don't already know what libertarianism is and find it pretty repulsive.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Three Olives posted:

Ted Cruz 2016 is a... upside down burning flag.

I thought it meant that he's so American that he bleeds American flags?

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
This announcement is weird

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Meg From Family Guy posted:

This announcement is weird

So far it's the standard Ted Cruz stump speech.

Yes, the story of his father abandoning him until he discovered Jesus is part of his stump speech.

eta: the kids who wore their Stand with Rand t-shirts to this are my everything :swoon:

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Sub Par posted:

I mean I hate to be put into the position of defending Ted Cruz of all people but you don't graduate cum laude from Princeton and magna cum laude from Harvard Law School with George W. Bush brains. Comparing the two is incredibly dumb.

I've been saying for a while that I think the the DnD consensus on Cruz underestimates him a lot. I may be wrong, but I think he feeds the base of the Republican party in a way that most of the other names so far don't, except maybe Walker. However, I get the feeling that Cruz would absolutely eat Walker alive in a debate.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Joementum posted:

So far it's the standard Ted Cruz stump speech.

Yes, the story of his father abandoning him until he discovered Jesus is part of his stump speech.

eta: the kids who wore their Stand with Rand t-shirts to this are my everything :swoon:

where can I watch this?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

where can I watch this?

http://www.c-span.org/video/?324979-1/ted-cruz-presidential-campaign-announcement&live

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Ted gave a talk at Liberty University today.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Joementum posted:

Oh god yes he is going to make his father part of his campaign. :neckbeard:

His father is absolutely insane, not even the adorable kind, the scary, should be locked up cray cray kind.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

lol saying "100,000 in student loans" as if 100,000 is a lot by today's standards

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Call me crazy but I don't think this guy will become president of the United States

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Sub Par posted:

intellect is complicated, though. You can have the kind of brains that make you an overachieving law student and champion debater while still being a dumbshit about comprehending the electorate or making policy, just as someone like G.W.B. can be box-of-rocks dumb about a wide array of things but excel in beating his frat buddies at Drunk Trivia

Your Flag is On Fire, the ted cruz story

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Charisma without charisma

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That is clearly a teardrop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

lol saying "100,000 in student loans" as if 100,000 is a lot by today's standards

100,000 is between 3 and 4 times the national average for student loan debt. Definitely a lot.

• Locked thread