Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Lol mandatory attendance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Again, Liberty University is basically a cult campus.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

rear end cobra posted:

Lol mandatory attendance

I liked that that was the first question she asked

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

"Ok, step step step, wave. Step step step, wave."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Thank goodness they rehearsed this part. :sweatdrop:

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

What the hell is this awful song? Feels like I'm buying groceries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTKmjhJ1__o

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Slate Action posted:

Wisconsin went for Obama by 9.5% in 2012, Republicans aren't winning it in 2016 no matter who they run, barring a landslide.

I wouldn't be so quick to remove it from the toss-up column.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx
Liberty University's policy debate tournament used to be awesome because when Jerry Falwell was alive he'd sit in the auditorium/assembly hall and just let people walk up and debate him. He was a loving monster, but it was interesting to argue with that despicable rear end in a top hat.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Joementum posted:

Thank goodness they rehearsed this part. :sweatdrop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTKmjhJ1__o

Top comment:

:wtc:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Slate Action posted:

Wisconsin went for Obama by 9.5% in 2012, Republicans aren't winning it in 2016 no matter who they run, barring a landslide.

Walker won 3 elections in that state despite being a corrupt piece of poo poo and lying about how extreme right wing his policies would be. It's impossible to underestimate that electorate.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

How it's playing on Yik Yak: https://twitter.com/tylerkingkade/status/580016817739042816

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Walker won 3 elections in that state despite being a corrupt piece of poo poo and lying about how extreme right wing his policies would be. It's impossible to underestimate that electorate.

State vs. federal, lovely opponents, etc...I'm not saying people aren't idiots, but there were mitigating factors with Walker.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sharkie posted:

Text Now!

Ted Cruz is laughable and scary, like the Joker.

He's evil like the joker too.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Im surprised liberty students are allowed to wear T-shirts, much less t-shirts with slogans on

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
at liberty you're not allowed to hold hands with a girl

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Flashback to the last campaign to use the slogan A Time For Truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i66q1f3M3w

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I love his talk about God's blessings on America, because it's a dogwhistle for the corollary: God will remove his blessing and destroy us like Sodom if we don't fall in line.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Hah, saw that at my father's place last night when I stopped by for dinner. What an amazing combination.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

PupsOfWar posted:

Im surprised liberty students are allowed to wear T-shirts, much less t-shirts with slogans on

Technically, they're not! :v:

quote:

no writing or graphics on shirts except for discreet embroidered logos

Of course, they turn the other way when it comes to a big public even that will draw attention to Liberty's very important place in the conservative movement.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

at liberty you're not allowed to hold hands with a girl

Unfortunately not true if the Dailykos article is to be believed.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
ya my mistake, you're ONLY allowed to hold hands with a girl

one of my friends from undergrad went there for her masters for some reason (wanted to waste money I guess?) and ended up becoming a "born again virgin" and marrying some weird super christian guy within 6 months of meeting him. That place sucks.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx
I'm pretty good friends with a number of people from the Liberty debate team and the stories most people hear/publish are only half-true. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not a fun place to go to college, and there is definitely a bit of panopticon going on there, but they mostly seem normal and friendly. The only weird thing, to my mind, is that a bunch of them got married really early, like 21-22. However, that was the norm for the college as I understand it.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Voter ID has never been shown to have a significant effect.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

well, for real crazy you need an evangelical seminary school like, say, Asbury, where classes may be interrupted for weeks at a time, without warning, for purposes of Revival

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

MC Nietzche posted:

I'm pretty good friends with a number of people from the Liberty debate team and the stories most people hear/publish are only half-true. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not a fun place to go to college, and there is definitely a bit of panopticon going on there, but they mostly seem normal and friendly. The only weird thing, to my mind, is that a bunch of them got married really early, like 21-22. However, that was the norm for the college as I understand it.
I'm guessing it was so they could get around the whole "not allowed to spend the night alone with a member of the opposite sex."

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

ya my mistake, you're ONLY allowed to hold hands with a girl

one of my friends from undergrad went there for her masters for some reason (wanted to waste money I guess?) and ended up becoming a "born again virgin" and marrying some weird super christian guy within 6 months of meeting him. That place sucks.

That's basically Liberty.txt. I grew up like 5 minutes away from the campus.

Half of my high school went to Liberty and practically everyone there gets married within 5 minutes. Then again a good portion of the school also gets drunk/does drugs/etc etc, they just have to be a bit more sneaky about it.

Liberty students also kept getting killed by cars and trains to the point that they had to build bridges/tunnels specifically for the students.

The entire university is so toxic, though. Lynchburg city has had to spend untold millions to build infrastructure to the campus and Liberty refuses to help contribute. They would literally allow their students to leave campus and go sit outside of City Council meetings to protest. gently caress Liberty.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

why are liberty students bad at traffic

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'm guessing it was so they could get around the whole "not allowed to spend the night alone with a member of the opposite sex."

They're my friends, so I was never so crass as to straight out ask, but yeah that was my assumption. The debate team is definitely not representative though, they got a ton of special dispensations because once old man Falwell died Liberty wanted a nationally competitive debate team, which meant chucking a shitload of their stodgy, conservative arguments.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

They're bad at jaywalking, to be precise

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

PupsOfWar posted:

God is my crossing guard :pray:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

PupsOfWar posted:

"Your right of way stops at my right to walk across the street whenever I wa-- *SQUISH*"

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

SnakePlissken posted:

Ring the bells that still will ring
Forget about your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

-Which describes the current state of American politics frighteningly well, actually.

Democracy is coming to the USA

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Three Olives posted:

Ted Cruz 2016 is a... upside down burning flag.

Cruz can't even get his fire straight, how could he be president?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Meg From Family Guy posted:

"The guy who graduated magna cum laude from Harvard is a dumb baby idiot for thinking wrong things about politics :smuggo:" - an unemployed goon

Much dumber people have graduated from Ivy Leagues

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yup. Everyone at Christian colleges wants to bone down but they gotta get married to do it. Like it was literally a running joke at my church that girls went to Christian colleges to get a two year housewife degree because they all got married the summer before junior year.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

MC Nietzche posted:

However, I get the feeling that Cruz would absolutely eat Walker alive in a debate.

This I agree with and would very much like to see. It would be like Newt in the SC debate, but going after Walker instead of the moderator

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

this_is_hard posted:

Liberty students also kept getting killed by cars and trains to the point that they had to build bridges/tunnels specifically for the students.

skaboomizzy posted:

"Your right of way stops at my right to walk across the street whenever I wa-- *SQUISH*"
Regardless of any laws regarding right-of-way vs jaywalking, the laws of physics say that a car/vehicle always has the right of way vs a pedestrian. Darwin Awards exist for a reason, you know.:colbert:

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

This I agree with and would very much like to see. It would be like Newt in the SC debate, but going after Walker instead of the moderator

The only reason I think Cruz legit has a shot is because this is not 2012, the GOP does not have a clear 2nd place person to hand the nomination to the way they did with Romney. At best they have an establishment candidate in Jeb. However, even in 2012 Romney did not sweep the board, he won it through painful attrition. What I am afraid of is that Cruz actually manages to knock out a few of the challengers before the primary proper starts, and he actually manages to energize the base. He wins a couple of primaries, people weak on Bush move to join the Cruzmentum, and he wins the long game.

Was the Imagine speech ridiculous? To a leftist sure, but we're not who he's talking to, he's going to run a strong, sober God, Guns and Death to Taxes campaign, and he's going to be strong in the debates. Even with his strengths, he has a long road to walk and it is a very long shot, but I don't think it's impossible for him to clinch it if a few things go right for him and a few things go wrong for Bush. Cruz is not Santorum, or :newt: To my mind he's a way tougher and smarter contender than either of those guys, and Bush is going to have to battle the same anti-establishment forces that made those rear end-clowns frontrunners against Romney.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
From Cruz's Website:

Cruz posted:

Without life, there is no liberty. And ensuring every child is born into a home with a loving family provides the best chance for that child to achieve anything. That is why Ted Cruz has been on the front lines defending life and standing up for marriage when it has come under assault from activist judges.
Defended Texas’s marriage laws when a renegade state court attempted to grant a divorce to a same-sex couple who had obtained a civil union in Vermont.

Yeah you sure those fags by not letting them get divorced.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My dad likes Jeb Bush but can't give any reasons why other than "he's actually very reasonable"

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

A MIRACLE posted:

My dad likes Jeb Bush but can't give any reasons why other than "he's actually very reasonable"

The high-water mark for R's this go round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

MC Nietzche posted:

I've been saying for a while that I think the the DnD consensus on Cruz underestimates him a lot. I may be wrong, but I think he feeds the base of the Republican party in a way that most of the other names so far don't, except maybe Walker. However, I get the feeling that Cruz would absolutely eat Walker alive in a debate.
Ted Cruz will be a loving hurricane in the debates but considering the establishment will be throwing everything they have at him to ensure that literally anyone else gets nominated, it would take historic implosions from the big players along with Republican primary voters shifting even further to the right en mass for him to get the nomination.

• Locked thread