Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

quote:

"Is it normal that on a previous and next buttons that it brings up inactive work orders?"
what

quote:

"I just open the blank form and use the previous and next button. But it shows me inactive records!"
...what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Griffith86 posted:

I've been doing graphic design / front-end development for about 15 years professionally, and I will never understand how people think getting less than $2k for a logo is even remotely acceptable.

Be it small or large, you are creating a new face for that company. This is a lot of power to hold and dumb to just give it away for basically free.

Goons.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

JohnnyCanuck posted:

what

...what

I'm guessing he's opening some webform or access database or anything really to fill out and if he pushed the previous or next button that is on the form it populates it with other things.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
A call from Barrister came in today. We get them every now and again because our owner decided it might make for some good additional business here awhile back, since we're a small time shop.

:phone: Hi, this is Carl with Barrister Global, calling regarding a service order in Melville, Montana. Would you have a technician that can reach this today?
:phoneb: ... wait, Montana? We're located in Arkansas.
:phone: Is it that too far away?

Bonus points for it being a printer that needed repair when we've told them numerous times (and even updated our little profile-thing or whatever it is) that we don't ever, EVER work on printers. They also tend to lowball us hardcore; they offered us 45 bucks to drive to a city an hour away from here and back here a week or so ago.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Does Carl have a particularly strong accent?

I find that outsourced call center positions don't necessarily have any real concept of the geography in the areas they service.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
A return-to-normal e-mail didn't come in.

I work for an organization that runs several clinics in my city, and we have monitoring systems on the vaccine fridges and freezers that tell us if the temperature goes out of range, and will e-mail the clinic managers at each location if their site is the one producing trouble, as well as sending another e-mail when the temperatures go back within acceptable parameters. They also send messages about communications loss with their host unit, which happened this morning as our home office was undergoing some electrical work. So, when the facilities manager e-mailed myself and all the clinic managers later in the day to check if everything had returned to normal, I confirmed that it had.

That's when one of the clinic managers chimed in that they got a warning this morning, and no return to normal message. They checked the freezer itself, and it showed an acceptable temperature. I log into the IMS console and sure enough, one of the freezer sensors is tripped.

By 0.2 degrees.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

John Dyne posted:

A call from Barrister came in today. We get them every now and again because our owner decided it might make for some good additional business here awhile back, since we're a small time shop.

:phone: Hi, this is Carl with Barrister Global, calling regarding a service order in Melville, Montana. Would you have a technician that can reach this today?

Bonus points for it being a printer that needed repair when we've told them numerous times (and even updated our little profile-thing or whatever it is) that we don't ever, EVER work on printers. They also tend to lowball us hardcore; they offered us 45 bucks to drive to a city an hour away from here and back here a week or so ago.

The place I used to work did Dell warranty repair. We were out on the end of Long Island, so instead of a mile radius, my boss gave Dell a list of zip codes we would go to. They would still constantly call us about jobs in CT because it was only 30 miles away, because they couldn't grasp that a trip there involved 3 separate ferries each way and at least 4 hours of travel.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

John Dyne posted:

We do work with Barrister on a fairly regular basis. We however, don't ever take any of those silly one off repair jobs. We're setup as the local tech for the Senate, the TSA, and State Farm. And none of those contracts have quibbled about our rate. It does help that we're more than 300 miles from the next largest population center.

Gilok posted:

Does Carl have a particularly strong accent?

I find that outsourced call center positions don't necessarily have any real concept of the geography in the areas they service.

I'm pretty sure Barrister is based in Louisiana.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any experience working with a virtual merchant or something similar to that?

The service appears to be trying to 'send as' people in our environment through our mail server and I have it denied for obvious reasons. As a result the receipts do not send.

I figure there has to be a authentication portion on their website where I can submit some login credentials so I don't have an open loving relay on my server and yet no one can tell me anything about it.

EDIT: Their tech just called me. They want me to add them to my SPF record. I suppose I can let that slide. Just seems like an rear end backwards system.

m.hache fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 23, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

m.hache posted:

Anyone have any experience working with a virtual merchant or something similar to that?

The service appears to be trying to 'send as' people in our environment through our mail server and I have it denied for obvious reasons. As a result the receipts do not send.

I figure there has to be a authentication portion on their website where I can submit some login credentials so I don't have an open loving relay on my server and yet no one can tell me anything about it.

EDIT: Their tech just called me. They want me to add them to my SPF record. I suppose I can let that slide. Just seems like an rear end backwards system.

What system is it? I'm familiar with USAePay, which has the ability to send out its receipts as coming from whatever you wanna tell it to say. There's a field in the settings menu that lets you change it, otherwise the email is sent out as coming from Billing@USAePay.com, which can seriously confuse customers when they're expecting the receipt to come from Sales@BubbaGumpsShrimpBoat.org. It sounds like you got it solved though, so at least there's that.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

neogeo0823 posted:

What system is it? I'm familiar with USAePay, which has the ability to send out its receipts as coming from whatever you wanna tell it to say. There's a field in the settings menu that lets you change it, otherwise the email is sent out as coming from Billing@USAePay.com, which can seriously confuse customers when they're expecting the receipt to come from Sales@BubbaGumpsShrimpBoat.org. It sounds like you got it solved though, so at least there's that.

That's what I was expecting. Give me just a simple field where I can enter my mail server and an account you can authenticate with.

Having to modify my SPF records seems very invasive.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

m.hache posted:

That's what I was expecting. Give me just a simple field where I can enter my mail server and an account you can authenticate with.

Every system's different. I think Authorize.net has something like that, but frankly we do so few Auth.net setups that I don't really know. Though, in my experience, I've never had a client have that problem before, so I don't quite know how else to handle it, myself.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

neogeo0823 posted:

Every system's different. I think Authorize.net has something like that, but frankly we do so few Auth.net setups that I don't really know. Though, in my experience, I've never had a client have that problem before, so I don't quite know how else to handle it, myself.

I'm just surprised it didn't also offer a "Sent on behalf of" option so it just goes out from their servers.

Still waiting on their SPF record entry so I can update my records.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Hi Grandma, what's up?"

"The laptop is broken? Did you drop it?"

"Then what's wrong with it?"

"I don't think you need to buy another one, what's wrong with it?"

"It deleted your email and gave you another one, and now you can't talk to anyone? Also google is gone and it just says Ask?"

"No you don't need to buy another laptop, and the one you have isn't broken, no you didn't delete all your emails, no buying another laptop won't get you the emails back, give me a second, and your email password."

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

m.hache posted:

So many poo poo services want spf changes. This is my company's: "v=spf1 mx include:_spf.salesforce.com include:mailgun.org include:_spf.google.com ~all"

Because why not, just throw the half the loving internet in there.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
A ticket came in: user isn't receiving emails.

"I can send but nothing has come in all day."

Resolution: expand the Today section in Outlook.

Naturally this was about 4:30. Strange that the user waited until it was nearly quittin' time to tell me!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I might have bitched about it before, but I'd say 90% of the high-priority calls from pharmacies at my current job come in within an hour or hour and a half of the pharmacy closing. I'm not sure whether it's the pharmacist saying that it's high priority, or our dispatch hearing pharmacy and hitting the big red "urgent" button. But almost every on-call rotation, I have to check my phone and get out my computer to say "This is two hours away, they close in an hour, the SLA expires overnight, it can't be done."

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Urit posted:

So many poo poo services want spf changes. This is my company's: "v=spf1 mx include:_spf.salesforce.com include:mailgun.org include:_spf.google.com ~all"

Because why not, just throw the half the loving internet in there.

This is how spf works and a direct result of using "cloud" services hth

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

nimper posted:

A ticket came in: user isn't receiving emails.

"I can send but nothing has come in all day."

Resolution: expand the Today section in Outlook.

Naturally this was about 4:30. Strange that the user waited until it was nearly quittin' time to tell me!

My favorite follow up question to a similar ticket was "... has anyone sent you any e-mail today?"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

captkirk posted:

My favorite follow up question to a similar ticket was "... has anyone sent you any e-mail today?"

I usually just check the logs and tell them its because they haven't received any email.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

A call came in...

From a new client, a reservation. This client is technically 3 accounts: the gas pumps, the point of sale terminals in the smoke shop, and the two stand-alone backup terminals. They called me this morning because "the credit machine is giving me this weird error message when I try and run a card". The terminals are programmed with a Buypass file, which is something we don't do very often, but it allows the merchant to process WEX cards, so whatever. The problem is that Buypass makes the file, Buypass does all the troubleshooting, I'm not even allowed to know anything about the files they make or how to configure them within the terminal. So, when the merchant reads back the error message, and it's gibberish to me, I naturally call Buypass and get them to troubleshoot it.

I get the tech on the phone, explain what's going on, conference in the merchant, and the tech begins troubleshooting. After some back and forth, they tell the merchant to power cycle the terminal and see if that changes anything. The merchant puts the phone down and we hear a bunch of stuff shuffling around for a couple minutes before she comes back and says "I unplugged and plugged back in the monitor, and it's restarting now." Ok, no, "we meant the terminal. The actual machine you swipe the cards through. Power cycle that." Another two minutes and the merchant says they've unplugged the whole thing all the way back to the wall and plugged it back in. "You do know that the power cord is right on the side of the terminal, right? You can just tilt the machine to the left and unplug it easily." "What? No, not the little backup credit box thing, the credit machine."

:geno: ... :doh:

"Ok, so you meant the point of sale system?" "Yes, the credit machine..." Ok, so I've been on the phone for half an hour now, the tech at Buypass has been on the phone for 20 minutes now, getting nowhere, and now we have to call VeriFone, who supplied their POS and software, to get their tech on the phone to troubleshoot. So the Buypass tech sets up a conference for that, and we proceed to hold for the next tech. After 10 minutes go by, we're still holding, and thank god the merchant is the one who didn't want to wait, so they take down the VeriFone support number and say they'll give them a call themselves later. Nothing was resolved in the 45 minutes I was on the phone, which is a great way to start my Tuesday.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ok so apparently even with a valid SPF record our mail server is still denying send as permissions to the other server. I feel like there is an additional setting that needs to be adjust on my exchange but I'm not 100% sure where it is and their tech support is clueless on how every other client does it.

Anyone have any experience relaying emails from an outside mail server without proper authentication? As far as I know there isn't anywhere I can even put my credentials in on their side so it's literally their mail server sending an email as one of my internal users without credentials.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

m.hache posted:

Ok so apparently even with a valid SPF record our mail server is still denying send as permissions to the other server. I feel like there is an additional setting that needs to be adjust on my exchange but I'm not 100% sure where it is and their tech support is clueless on how every other client does it.

Anyone have any experience relaying emails from an outside mail server without proper authentication? As far as I know there isn't anywhere I can even put my credentials in on their side so it's literally their mail server sending an email as one of my internal users without credentials.

You can create a new receive connector that doesn't need authentication, but only allows connections from a single IP address.

http://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000891.htm

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

You can create a new receive connector that doesn't need authentication, but only allows connections from a single IP address.

http://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000891.htm

Yeah, I was hoping I didn't have to do that and there was another way. After some digging though it's likely this I have to do.

Once they give me the IP addresses I'll set this up.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Thanks to this thread I just spent the last hour reading RFC 4408 before noticing that 7208 superseded it, so now I have to start all over again.

On the upside it looks like 7208 is mostly clarifications but.. ugh. They really should update superseded RFCs and point out that they're now obsolete.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So a few hours later they have a rep finally call me back with the answer:

"Please use our DNS for your relay."

Except Exchange 2010 doesn't support DNS relays so that doesn't loving work. Now I'm waiting again for them to get back to me. I know I can just search for their MX record but god damnit how can they not know what the gently caress they are doing when it's their system that requires this type of setup.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A Tcet came n...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MJP posted:

Please do the heatful

It was actually into a surge protector, which went to a UPS.

I know this is way back in the thread but Im still catching up and this made me laugh like a jackass at work

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MJP posted:

A Tcet came n...

When I was a kid, I thought this kind of thing was just a joke:

Now it's my life.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

MJP posted:

A Tcet came n...

I think the best response here is a simple "k".

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MJP posted:

A Tcet came n...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Now it's my life.

This is exactly what popped into my head too.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

m.hache posted:

If you have updated the spf records they should be able to send out mail without any interaction with your email server. You won't need to setup any relays.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

lampey posted:

If you have updated the spf records they should be able to send out mail without any interaction with your email server. You won't need to setup any relays.

Apparently their mail server is attempting to send it through ours though. Which means that adjusting the SPF records doesn't make any drat sense. Everytime they attempt to send an email, this comes through:

550 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender (in reply to end of DATA command).

Their support team doesn't even contact me directly. They just have some sales rep call me up. The second I ask a simple question or say "Yeah, we can't use DNS for relays" the sales rep locks up and says he'll get back to me.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Now it's my life.

Same.

For what it's worth, I saved the screenshot as kybard.png.

There's actually no evidence that the sales dude (of course it was a sales dude) using it caused any damage. Just the I and K keys. For once, as far as I can tell, it was just defective hardware.

He also had his normal laptop's WLAN card take a poo poo, requiring me to reseat it. (Before anyone asks, he's got a Chromebook and a laptop to test-drive which he likes better, and meanwhile, our request for $2k to get AD auditing software got shot down)

I think he's got one of those anti-functionality fields about him.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

m.hache posted:

Apparently their mail server is attempting to send it through ours though. Which means that adjusting the SPF records doesn't make any drat sense. Everytime they attempt to send an email, this comes through:

550 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender (in reply to end of DATA command).

Their support team doesn't even contact me directly. They just have some sales rep call me up. The second I ask a simple question or say "Yeah, we can't use DNS for relays" the sales rep locks up and says he'll get back to me.

Speaking of SPF, setting things up to use Office 365 as a mail relay (column 1 here) - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/dn554323%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx also states:

quote:

In the DNS for your domain, we suggest that you modify your SPF record to include the IP address from Step 1. The finished string should look similar to this: v=spf1 ip4:10.1.2.3 include:spf.protection.outlook.com ~all where 10.1.2.3 is your public IP address. Skipping this step could cause email to be sent to recipients’ junk mail folders.

Can anyone tell me why that would be there? Because as far as I know if you're relaying through another server then the IP address of your office is completely irrelevant to SPF passing or failing.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Speaking of SPF, setting things up to use Office 365 as a mail relay (column 1 here) - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/dn554323%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx also states:

Can anyone tell me why that would be there? Because as far as I know if you're relaying through another server then the IP address of your office is completely irrelevant to SPF passing or failing.

Most likely because the ip address you're relaying through doesn't reverse dns resolve to the domain you're sending e-mail from.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
One of our app developers emailed one of our external vendors today about an issue with SSH private key authentication for an account on one of the systems the vendor hosts. Gave 'em the detailed error message with the auth failure and everything.

The vendor's "Senior Technical Analyst" replied with:

"That looks like a networking issue. You need to call your DBA."

I don't even :psyduck:

Luckily the dev decided to send it my way. Turns out the SSH key isn't working because the vendor's gone and hosed up the ownership on the user's home directory, just like the last three or four times this issue has happened with that account. Now the dev team will have to submit a ticket to the vendor about it again, and if past experience is any indication, it will take a week or two and at least two six-person conference calls to get them to fix the directory ownership. :cripes:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Fool posted:

Most likely because the ip address you're relaying through doesn't reverse dns resolve to the domain you're sending e-mail from.

Presumably in the Office 365 example the relay server would already be in your SPF record though.

I'll try it when I get a chance with a Port25 test email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Update:

Turns out they don't relay through our server so now that the SPF record is set up correctly they can send to outside emails no problem. I still have something internally here that's dropping messages originating from outside our domain to people within our domain.

Probably one of the drat spoofing protection rules I implemented months ago. drat.

• Locked thread