Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

TheFluff posted:

Sorry, all gone already. :(

Ok thanks. Edit the quote please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I would like to join this if ever someone comes across extras. I think it looks pretty neat.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Seems to be something going on with their servers this weekend because not only was I getting lag but the ping was all over the place. I suspect in true WG fashion this is being routed via the poo poo provider Telia and now we get to enjoy the full glory of that garbage network in botes. I was having a bitch of a time landing shots I normally have no issue with hitting without breaking a sweat and the rubberbanding that usually I see on ships at a distance was now happening to the friendly ships 3km in front of me. Way to go WG.

I managed to claw my way to enough cash this weekend to buy both the Pensacola and Nagato buying the mods and upgrades for both. Now to see which one I like more. I have enough xp to move into the next tier ship for either nation. I have played the Amagi in Alpha and was familiar with it enough to know it was not fun if one suddenly ranged you, not much experience in the Pensacola so kind of hesitant to move into the next tier on USN because of that.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

demonR6 posted:

Seems to be something going on with their servers this weekend because not only was I getting lag but the ping was all over the place. I suspect in true WG fashion this is being routed via the poo poo provider Telia and now we get to enjoy the full glory of that garbage network in botes. I was having a bitch of a time landing shots I normally have no issue with hitting without breaking a sweat and the rubberbanding that usually I see on ships at a distance was now happening to the friendly ships 3km in front of me. Way to go WG.

I managed to claw my way to enough cash this weekend to buy both the Pensacola and Nagato buying the mods and upgrades for both. Now to see which one I like more. I have enough xp to move into the next tier ship for either nation. I have played the Amagi in Alpha and was familiar with it enough to know it was not fun if one suddenly ranged you, not much experience in the Pensacola so kind of hesitant to move into the next tier on USN because of that.

I think the Pensacola really needs the hull and turret upgrade to shine, the turrets aren't that fast and two more barrels is a big help.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I thought "Hey let me not burn xp on the upgrades since a good x1.5 win today and tomorrow should unlock it" BWAHAHAAHAHA no..

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
The Pee-cola also had torpedoes, but they were removed before 1941. I need about 100,000 credits to get it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MoraleHazard posted:

The Pee-cola also had torpedoes, but they were removed before 1941. I need about 100,000 credits to get it.

Look for me later if you need a warm body to botes with. I refuse to solo drop, we can't count on our team to not be drooling window lickers even with a 3-man division anymore.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

TheFluff posted:

Not sure if I'm understanding the problem you're describing correctly, but I've had similar-ish problems with shots ending up in bizarre places and it's always been due to the game deciding to focus on a ship that isn't the one I'm actually shooting at. If your target doesn't have the targeting circle around it, just press x a few times until it does.

The aiming model in this game is some deeply magic poo poo, by the way. Because clicking on the point in the ocean that you actually want to hit is too hard, the game does a lot of weird poo poo with how the recticle works so you only ever really aim in one dimension - range is automagic and depending on what ship the game has decided to focus on. When firing on a ship that is heading towards you or away from you, you never need to try to estimate how much to lead it in range, only in horizontal movement. The game seems to magically figure the extra range out for you and the correct thing to do is to not attempt to compensate for it. Normally this just serves to make the game easier, but if you and the game disagree on what you want to shoot at, weird things happen and shots fall short or long.

Someone mentioned earlier that the game is definitely less complex than World of Tanks because it only has two dimensions to the three featured in tanks, but in reality I'm pretty sure the game only really has one dimension as far as gunnery goes.

I'm sorry but this is simply not true. There are many occasions in which I have shot at ships heading towards or away from me, and I've had to lead my shots every single time. When I don't lead well enough, you can clearly see the bullets hit the water either too far, or simply not far enough. I do not know how you came to your conclusions, maybe you happen to be really good at leading in these conditions.

But this idea that you do not need to lead because range is automatic? Not sure I'd bet money on that.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Dalael posted:

I'm sorry but this is simply not true. There are many occasions in which I have shot at ships heading towards or away from me, and I've had to lead my shots every single time. When I don't lead well enough, you can clearly see the bullets hit the water either too far, or simply not far enough. I do not know how you came to your conclusions, maybe you happen to be really good at leading in these conditions.

But this idea that you do not need to lead because range is automatic? Not sure I'd bet money on that.

I think there's definitely some weirdness where a ship moving between you and your target can "capture" your reticule and get your shots to fire short, but leading isn't automatic.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

xthetenth posted:

I think there's definitely some weirdness where a ship moving between you and your target can "capture" your reticule and get your shots to fire short, but leading isn't automatic.

I would tend to imagine that this is simply an optical illusion. Human eye is not the greatest when it comes to judging speed and distance. When a ship moves on the horizontal plane, it allows our brain to rather easily calculate speed, especially if you have a point of reference. However, when the ship moves towards or away from you, it makes it much harder to determine its speed. Pretty sure that is what is happening.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Dalael posted:

I would tend to imagine that this is simply an optical illusion. Human eye is not the greatest when it comes to judging speed and distance. When a ship moves on the horizontal plane, it allows our brain to rather easily calculate speed, especially if you have a point of reference. However, when the ship moves towards or away from you, it makes it much harder to determine its speed. Pretty sure that is what is happening.

I watch the range number to get a feel for rate of change and base it on that if I'm having a hard time. I'm talking about trying to aim to a point hidden by another ship or something and having the shells drop near that other ship's range.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

xthetenth posted:

I watch the range number to get a feel for rate of change and base it on that if I'm having a hard time. I'm talking about trying to aim to a point hidden by another ship or something and having the shells drop near that other ship's range.

I've only really run into issues when firing on ships obscured behind other ships/islands on occasion. Only seems to happen when the reticule is sitting on an object closer than where my "target" is.

So, while I may be able to range over an island, but part of it is obscuring the view, and the reticule has to sit on the 'peak', the shells target teh peak, not the point past the island.

TO me, it seems the aiming system uses a ray trace from your POV in artillery view to a point on the surface of the water/object you are looking at to set the gun elevation. Aiming is really point and shoot, your FCS simply does the calculations to hit the spot you are pointing at so having something cut across your view or a ship pass your intended target might muck up your distance.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Dalael posted:

I would tend to imagine that this is simply an optical illusion.

It isn't. Shots will definitively fall well short of the reticle position in some circumstances for unexplained reasons, probably a bug in the aim/reticle, and this is ships moving in parallel, not towards each other.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 23, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Dalael posted:

You have to lead horizontally, yes, or whatever the term is. I am pretty drat sure that you don't really have to compensate for range though, or if you do the extents to which you can do so are severely limited. Consider this video at about 11:05:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ov8oLnCeWU

I'm firing at a Kongo heading almost straight away from me at about 10km. It's not super obvious because the shell flight time is a bit too short, but notice how I have my cursor pointed level with his bow and slightly to his left, and the salvo is almost perfectly ranged - most of the shots miss only because they fall to his sides, because there's no shot convergence.

Here's another funny example of the ranging mechanism doing magic, at about 10:10 and about 20-30 seconds on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWD34JSYU9k

I'm initially aiming at the Pensacola closer to me and failing to lead him enough. Then Panzerblitz mentions that the New Orleans is stuck on an iceberg, and I switch to shooting at that, and there comes the interesting bit. Note that the game's camera tracking is still locked on the Pensacola (note the crosshair around his cruiser symbol), so when I center the reticule on the New Orleans and fire my first salvo (sorry it's a bit hard to track because of my spastic camera action) it falls well short of him because it's still trying to keep range on the Pensacola. The shots fall at a range appropriate to where the Pensacola was - the game actively tries to prevent you from mucking up the range too much. You are only free to gently caress with the horizontal lead as you will. After my first salvo the game understands that I've switched targets and centers on the New Orleans instead, and then follows an exercise in frustration with trying to figure out lead for an accelerating and turning target.

I should probably try turning off target locking by hitting x and seeing what that lets you do.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 23, 2015

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

TheFluff posted:

I should probably try turning off target locking by hitting x and seeing what that lets you do.

Pretty sure it'll be much harder to lead ships and to follow up with another salvo.. Target locking makes your zoom sight follow the enemy ship at whatever speed it's going at.

Report back though. :)

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
It's definitely possible to hit ships that are closing on you from outside target lock range.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
That whole hidden compensation for gunnery is very confusing. Hopefully it will get explained better.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
EU beta invites are out - be fast:

http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/CBT-invites-second-wave/

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Made an EU account to apply for an EU beta key, not holding out much hope that they'll be sending e-mail invites though. They seem really set on fueling hype through time limited giveaways.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

TheFluff posted:

Another gunnery mechanics observation: shots don't really seem to converge towards the center of the recticle. If you're in a Fuso and fire a broadside at something heading directly towards or away from you, you'll hit maybe one or two shots, the rest will fall to either side of the target because the shot grouping mirrors your turret placement (so don't do that). That's also one of the reasons why it's so hard to hit a destroyer with battleship guns; the ship is so small that it fits in between your turrets.

Also, I have five closed beta invite codes to hand out but they're US server only. I'll reserve one for apseudonym because he's a cool guy I used to play Wargame with, but for the rest of the four send me a PM or make a post or something and first come first serve?
edit: all gone

Awww yeah Wargame crew :911:

This makes up for needing to get a root canal done today.

apseudonym fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 23, 2015

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Application submitted but it's been a while and I still haven't been accepted into the US beta.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9LNYTAqPzM

Does this convince you, Dalael? I have several more examples from that same game if you want more demonstration.

(got six kills in that game, the cleveland loving owns)

Also I can confirm that if you unlock the target following cam you can indeed lead in range and that will work. It's much more annoying to play that way though because you have to manually track the targets instead of keeping your aim exactly the same between shots.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 23, 2015

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

TheFluff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9LNYTAqPzM

Does this convince you, Dalael? I have several more examples from that same game if you want more demonstration.

(got six kills in that game, the cleveland loving owns)

Also I can confirm that if you unlock the target following cam you can indeed lead in range and that will work. It's much more annoying to play that way though because you have to manually track the targets instead of keeping your aim exactly the same between shots.

You can definitely lead in range even while auto tracking though :confused: But if you aim too high or too low you'll take over from the auto-range-leading or something and probably miss... Is that it?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 23, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

PirateBob posted:

You can definitely lead in range even while auto tracking though :confused: But if you aim too high or too low you'll take over from the auto-range-leading or something and probably miss... Is that it?

Maybe! I watched the replay again and you may actually have a point. I still believe there's a large amount of magic going on though. For me it seems to Just Work to keep the horizontal line in the reticule lined up with their bow or stern. v:shobon:v

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Asehujiko posted:

Application submitted but it's been a while and I still haven't been accepted into the US beta.

Well, my application jsut got approved within about 5 minutes. :woop:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Magni posted:

What the hell determines this, I have two applications stewing now that I haven't heard a peep from :psyduck:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Magni posted:

Same. Now I have both an NA account and an EU account for the CBT. :cool:

Will have to see how much difference 200 ms vs 50 ms ping makes before I decide whether to start over without my precious Fuso and Cleveland ships on the EU server. :shobon:

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
got into eu as well, after getting an na code yesterday and playing a bunch :doh:
I suppose the better ping is worth it, do i have to re download the client?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Mordieth posted:

do i have to re download the client?

Yes, seems like it.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Got an EU code about an hour after submitting an application :woop:

They must not be screening very strictly because that account was created about 60 seconds before I submitted the application. My NA account was in the WoT closed beta. I hope I get an NA code at some point, but I'm still pumped to play.

Max Manus
Oct 25, 2004

Saboteur par excellence.
Nap Ghost
Yes, botes here I come!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm pretty sure they just pick pretty much everyone who manages to slip in an application during that narrow time window. Or at least make their picks pretty much at random.

At any rate, congrats to the fresh botegoons! :toot:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I got in! :toot:

Is there an EU goon group?

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!

Asehujiko posted:

I got in! :toot:

Is there an EU goon group?

There's a Goons channel ingame. And the 2pac TS.

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
Anyone just getting an eu key wanna team up?
Also, it appears the channel name is case sensitive (Goons)

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

I like dunking on planes with my Omaha can't wait for my Cleveland steamer. Also pubs love to go on about e-honor.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You coward, how could you hide behind the cover of that iceberg and fire all those shots at me without coming out of hiding and fighting like a man-ship.

Let's see, you were in a DD coming at me full steam with the expectation I would round that corner so you dumped a full spread of torpedoes hoping to sink me but alas I cut back my speed well in advance anticipating your move. Then after the torpedoes harmlessly passed by me I kicked my Cleveland into full speed, caught you with your pants down and unloaded a full broadside watching you burst into flames before sinking with one volley. My code of e-bushido is not honorable, nope.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
What's the in-game shortcut to make a screenshot?

Did a few rounds of bot-clicking with the starter boates so far, was fun to get the basics down and get some starting xp/cash. Last match I blew up three bots with the Katori. Two of them got served ~3.5k citadel hits. Also, compared to my pubbie teams on bot mode, I seem to have a bit of a habit of riding to glorious destruction - twice so far first one on my team to die, but also the one to earn the most damage done and xp. :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Magni posted:

What's the in-game shortcut to make a screenshot?

Did a few rounds of bot-clicking with the starter boates so far, was fun to get the basics down and get some starting xp/cash. Last match I blew up three bots with the Katori. Two of them got served ~3.5k citadel hits. Also, compared to my pubbie teams on bot mode, I seem to have a bit of a habit of riding to glorious destruction - twice so far first one on my team to die, but also the one to earn the most damage done and xp. :v:

Printscreen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGmHELN0C90

get a cleveland before they nerf it