Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
What I want to know with regards to the mythology is why the relationship between CSM and Teena Mulder never really went anywhere story-wise.

The show explicitly references some sort of affair they had together. CSM keeps a picture of her and baby Mulder. Mulder has flashbacks where CSM, Bill Mulder, and Teena are all arguing together right before Samantha's abduction. CSM visits Teena in the hospital and has an alien heal her. Teena is with CSM when Mulder is in the hospital in "The Sixth Extinction" and she is the one who helps CSM kidnap Mulder.

So obviously she is in on something, knows something, or CSM is holding something over her. And the payoff is that she kills herself because of a terminal illness and decides to haunt Mulder so he can know benevolent spirits took Samantha?

Huh?

I know they were rushing to just tie things up, but that whole aspect of the conspiracy bothered me because I always thought it would go somewhere. Maybe the woman who played Mulder's mother just wasn't a good actress and that's why they never went anywhere substantial with her?

PrincessKate fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I thought it was that they had an affair and Samantha was really the smoking man's kid? And CSM still loved her but she doesn't really like him?

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
Then why does she do things that are detrimental to Fox Mulder and advantageous for CSM, like signing Mulder out of the hospital in Sixth Extinction? When Mulder asks his mother what her relationship is with CSM, why doesn't she just tell him rather than slap him and explain to him everything that happened with Samantha?

And the whole father thing is another annoying part of the show because CSM flat-out tells Mulder he is his father, at least once. But then there are other instances (that I can't remember off the top of my head) where CSM says Bill Mulder is Mulder's father. I think CSM being Samantha's father was just implied once when Samantha (a clone?) tells Mulder in season 2 or 3 that CSM is her father. Who knows.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

What I've read is that what was meant to happen in season seven was CSM establishing a new Syndicate with Marita Covarubius and Alex Krycek, but it never really came to anything. I'm not sure, though, if the episode where Krycek shoves wheelchair-bound CSM down some stairs and (seemingly) kills him was meant to be the start of it only for it never to take off, or if that was meant to be the climax of events that had been set up beforehand. I can't remember.

The show was meant to end in season 5 and become a series of movies. Then FOX renewed it until season 7, and season 7 was supposed to be the end of the series. Duchovny was only signed through 7, and only wanted to continue to play the role in movies (real reason he disappears is because his contract ran out and he only signed to be part time). They even shot a series ending scene for season 7. There is an interview from back when the season 7 finale was about to air where either Spotnitz or Carter talked about how two weeks prior to it airing they still didn't know which one was going to air. The real reason the X Files had a season 8 and 9 was because everything else Fox had failed, with the exception of Ally McBeal and X-Files. Every single other drama Fox had on during the 7th season failed or was cancelled (including Harsh Realm, which was supposed to be Chris Carter's next series)

So if seasons 8 and 9 seem like they are pulling stuff out of their rear end, it is because they were. And they did renewals one year at a time, which is why 8 also feels like a season finale. Season 9 was the last one they had Scully under contract, so eventually they let it go.

PrincessKate posted:

What I want to know with regards to the mythology is why the relationship between CSM and Teena Mulder never really went anywhere story-wise.

The show explicitly references some sort of affair they had together. CSM keeps a picture of her and baby Mulder. Mulder has flashbacks where CSM, Bill Mulder, and Teena are all arguing together right before Samantha's abduction. CSM visits Teena in the hospital and has an alien heal her. Teena is with CSM when Mulder is in the hospital in "The Sixth Extinction" and she is the one who helps CSM kidnap Mulder.

So obviously she is in on something, knows something, or CSM is holding something over her. And the payoff is that she kills herself because of a terminal illness and decides to haunt Mulder so he can know benevolent spirits took Samantha?

Huh?

I know they were rushing to just tie things up, but that whole aspect of the conspiracy bothered me because I always thought it would go somewhere. Maybe the woman who played Mulder's mother just wasn't a good actress and that's why they never went anywhere substantial with her?

CSM is Mulder's father. Agent Spender comes back from the experiments they did with him disfigured (and looking suspiciously like David Duchovny), and is able to pretend to be Mulder because DNA tests shows similarities which are explained by him being Mulder's brother. Which is a funny bit about the power of the internet: back then they could fake out Duchovny's return all the time and not have it be spoiled by the media.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

PrincessKate posted:

Then why does she do things that are detrimental to Fox Mulder and advantageous for CSM, like signing Mulder out of the hospital in Sixth Extinction? When Mulder asks his mother what her relationship is with CSM, why doesn't she just tell him rather than slap him and explain to him everything that happened with Samantha?

Nice avatar

Anyway, yeah, the metaplot is ultimately disastrous and hopefully they won't touch any of it. It's really hard to see how that would be satisfying or good.

Also hopefully they shoot it in Vancouver, as long as we're wishing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I guess I have a lore question, but is all of the paranormal stuff that happens throughout the show, a result of aliens visiting earth, or is this all isolated stuff and nothing to do with the aliens coming to earth? I like the alien storylines the most. It's like they just kinda do their own thing and sometimes gently caress things up for people as a result. The secret organization within the government has no control over them, but they do have some alien bodies and technology and are making their own weapons.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's unrelated. The aliens aren't doing their own things randomly - they are preparing for an invasion, but there are various factions within the alien government, some of which are actually opposed to the invasion (but that doesn't mean they are interested in saving people, necessarily). Though it's never quite clear what the invasion entails - sometimes it seems like they want to enslave the human race with the black oil, or to modify humans to serve some alien goal, later on it's more like they want to use people as incubators for alien babies... The same goes with the Syndicate - their apparetn plans and goals change as often as those of the aliens.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Plus there are unrelated aliens like the space amish, brain parasites, and shape-changing minor-league pitchers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jack Gladney posted:

Plus there are unrelated aliens like the space amish, brain parasites, and shape-changing minor-league pitchers.

The base ball player was the same alien as the evil ones - he just didn't agree with their policies. That's one of the things that made X-Files great, even the super-advanced, super-scary alien dudes had their dissidents and their anarchists / apoliticals who wanted nothing more than to have some fun, and who were hunted for it by their alien government.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

bobkatt013 posted:

I also agree that the show needed more Well-Manicured Man

As do I.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

if he's lying i'm gonna be real sad. i might even cry

Kumail Nanjiani ‏@kumailn 1m1 minute ago
Reports say The X-Files is coming back with a short series! Announcement soon apparently! H*Y(ENOIEH(*Y*(*(!!!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I want to believe.

e:

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 21, 2015

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
After the last movie I'm not sure I want to believe.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The last movie was a lot like a toned-down, realistic MOTW episode which focused a lot more on the Mulder/Scully dynamic which set it apart from the formula. I liked it. Also the end credits sequence was rad as hell, really cool editing and the X-Files theme remix is great. I'm excited as hell for the upcoming series.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Word is it will be 6 episodes and could start shooting as soon as june if contracts are signed soon enough.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

joepinetree posted:

Word is it will be 6 episodes and could start shooting as soon as june if contracts are signed soon enough.

Eh. I know I'm just being greedy now, but I was hoping for 10-12 eps. With only 6, they'll probably devote most (all?) of it to mythology plotlines, but I was hoping for some MOTW stuff.

Then again, Fox probably wouldn't be too keen on doing plots that require intimate knowledge of a 20-year old show to watch, so maybe we'll get some MOTW after all. All I know is I do NOT envy the task the writers have in front of them.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

They don't have to be mutually exclusive, you could have a mythology episode with a MOTW wrapping, some episodes more or less of either. Six hour long episodes isn't too bad to wrap some things up and have it be entertaining, good ol' X-Files stuff.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I hope they make episodes about ghosts.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Kurtofan posted:

I hope they make episodes about ghosts.

Quotin' this

Also, I hope they don't make it mythology-centric. You would hope enough time has passed that everyone kind of has to realize that the mythology was a mess, and also that a ton of the potential pool of viewers just wouldn't be familiar with it.

But then again who knows. Maybe they still think that closure is something that's even possible to achieve.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bob Ojeda posted:

Quotin' this

Also, I hope they don't make it mythology-centric. You would hope enough time has passed that everyone kind of has to realize that the mythology was a mess, and also that a ton of the potential pool of viewers just wouldn't be familiar with it.

But then again who knows. Maybe they still think that closure is something that's even possible to achieve.

I assume it will be myth arc related since the last thing they released was all mow and it was not well received. I think Chris Carter had said if they do another movie it will be myth arc related.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Does anyone give a poo poo about the X-Files "myth arc" these days? Did anyone by the time season 8&9 rolled around? I can't imagine that would be wise. Just get the dream team back together and hope Fox doesn't gently caress it up somehow.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Everybody probably wants to see the smoking man and John Neville and stuff again, and probably forgot that those characters were killed seasons before the end of the show.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Smoking Man died in the last episode, where he got hit in the face with a missile and you got a slow-motion view of his flesh burning off just to make it absolutely clear.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How did he get better from getting pushed down the stairs in a wheelchair?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

How did he get better from getting pushed down the stairs in a wheelchair?

The same he got better from the sniper bullet early on: off camera and mysteriously.

I sincerely doubt that they would do new stuff and NOT touch on the myth arc. Most of the hardcore fans still care about it, and if you read any of the online petitions/campaigns/etc for a 3rd movies, they were all done assuming a wrap up to the mythology.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jack Gladney posted:

Everybody probably wants to see the smoking man and John Neville and stuff again, and probably forgot that those characters were killed seasons before the end of the show.

And John Neville is dead. :smith:

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Timby posted:

And John Neville is dead. :smith:

Yeah we know, he died in a car bomb.

I guess it's too much to expect Vince Gilligan to become involved with this. I expect he's too busy with Better Call Saul.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
All I want is another Darrin Morgan episode

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I don't know if I necessarily want one or not, but I do find it kind of baffling for a show all about American conspiracy theories and cryptozoology, they never tackled Big Foot. I mean, I guess the closest they got was the Jersey Devil, but that's hardly the same.

Then again, it's really weird to think of where they will go in general with the show if it is set contemporaneously. The whole conspiracy theory and general zeitgeist of the show was very much something of the 90s in many ways, and while there are contemporary conspiracy theories, they are all things like Benghazi or Sandy Hook or 9/11 and stuff no sane writer would touch and which, further, aren't really compelling TV even if they did. Plus the ubiquitous nature of camera phones and reliable cell-phone reception would have to radically change how they handle MOTW episodes, too. Like, honestly, during a recent re-watch of the series, I was struck by how many episodes could have had their plots resolved in minutes if the characters had modern cell phones.
Hell, there's an idea for an episode; why did all the aliens stop visiting for the most part once Humans got easy and widespread access to camera phones?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm really glad and excited the show is coming back, I'm just really curious to see what way they'll go with it since, well, see above.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They did have cell phones by season 2 or so. Reception was frequently a big problem, as was dropping them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They shoudl just quietly add Mulder and Scully to the new Twin Peaks season.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MonsieurChoc posted:

They shoudl just quietly add Mulder and Scully to the new Twin Peaks season.

Scully discovers that Mulder likes to wear dresses.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So even though the show aired while I was growing up, I never really watched it consistently because it scared the poo poo out of me as a kid.

Now I've been going through the series on Netflix and I just finished Colony/End Game from the middle of S2 and holy poo poo what a great two-parter. Felt like the highlight of the series so far.

I was kind of curious as to what people's opinions are as to when the show peaks. I want to be prepared for when the best seasons are behind me.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Season 4. Seasons 5-9 have pretty good episodes, but it's not as consistent.

I feel like re-watching the whole show now.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
I'm going to be boringly predictable and say Season 5. It's the final Vancouver season, and was originally intended to be the last (with the movie wrapping everything up) but then less-saner heads prevailed.

The tonal shift after they move production to LA is so jarring it almost feels like a different show. It's not awful(well, not immediately), but having everything happening against a backdrop of constant sunshine as opposed to endless rain and fog kind-of fundamentally alters the atmosphere of the whole thing. And the show seems to get a lot...goofier. Possibly the two things are related.

I suppose you can pretend it's a spin-off with the same characters. AfterXFiles.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
The new season of 24 was actually pretty dang all right and if the new X-Files is as least that good I'm down for more.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can't pick a specific peak between 2 and 6. There's too many classic episodes to count.

And yeah, the move to California did ruin the show's aesthetics.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

haveblue posted:

And yeah, the move to California did ruin the show's aesthetics.

Big time - it was like something entirely brand new and nothing was really as good as the previous seasons.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

WarEternal posted:

Does anyone give a poo poo about the X-Files "myth arc" these days? Did anyone by the time season 8&9 rolled around? I can't imagine that would be wise. Just get the dream team back together and hope Fox doesn't gently caress it up somehow.

There has to be at least some throwaway acknowledgement of the myth arc because the invasion should be in full swing by now. There has to be some explanation for why the colonists cancelled their plans or postponed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

There has to be at least some throwaway acknowledgement of the myth arc because the invasion should be in full swing by now. There has to be some explanation for why the colonists cancelled their plans or postponed them.

They intercepted a Harold Camping (remember him?) radio broadcast and decided it wasn't worth invading a world that was going to end that year anyway.

• Locked thread