Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's 4 am and I'm waiting for the system we're coding to update so I can start tearing it apart in QA, so I'm reading this forum and watching the videos posted and BAM! through a rabbit hole and start watching Pistol Pete Marivich videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aODHUP4ZN6s) and, despite the horrible Youtube comments, I firmly believe that if he'd played when there was a 3 point line, he'd own Wilt's scoring record.

Of course, I did drink a lot of Ron Zacapa 15 year old aged rum last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

PantsFreeZone posted:

It's 4 am and I'm waiting for the system we're coding to update so I can start tearing it apart in QA, so I'm reading this forum and watching the videos posted and BAM! through a rabbit hole and start watching Pistol Pete Marivich videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aODHUP4ZN6s) and, despite the horrible Youtube comments, I firmly believe that if he'd played when there was a 3 point line, he'd own Wilt's scoring record.

Please don't get drunk, write stupid words about Pete Maravich somehow beating Wilt Chamberlain's scoring record (?) and brag about getting drunk anymore.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i can't decide what i want from the run in as a Clippers fan.

HCA against Portland in round 1 is a dream matchup, while Dallas and San Antonio would give us more problems, but I genuinely think we can beat the Grizzlies in Round 2 if we move up to the 3 seed (we have the easiest run-in schedule and are finally close to full strength again), while GSW would be a bit more of an uphill battle.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

straight up brolic posted:

HCA against Portland in round 1 is a dream matchup, while Dallas and San Antonio would give us more problems, but I genuinely think we can beat the Grizzlies in Round 2 if we move up to the 3 seed (we have the easiest run-in schedule and are finally close to full strength again), while GSW would be a bit more of an uphill battle.

You may not know what you want as a Clippers fan, but you know what you're going to get: a second round exit.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

PantsFreeZone posted:

If there was a 3pt line people would have defended Pistol a lot differently.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Strawberry Panda posted:

You may not know what you want as a Clippers fan, but you know what you're going to get: a second round exit.
lol we have three second round exits and seven playoff appearances in the history of our franchise

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 23, 2015

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Zogo posted:

Here:

1963 Finals Game Six: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLk0ojkrQDIQ40OEs9ojsMHFmRxMp0fOot

1969 ASG: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLk0ojkrQDIQ6ZilTnONpNnne2C90qHurQ

1972 ASG: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLk0ojkrQDIQ5wMdM1X23iN4q5CYMZbKLq

Maybe when someone needs some petty cash.

That must be some other ORtg because that doesn't match BBRs.

Looks like someone messed up, they wouldn't make a chart if it was all #1 offenses.

https://twitter.com/jphanned/status/579356431607951360?refsrc=email&s=11

"Ranks of Steve Nash-led offenses from '01-'10: 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 2, 2, 1."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The B_36 posted:

Is he tho? I don't know. He maaaaaaybe (based on TMZ level reporting) doesn't have alot of close relationships among his athlete peers, but he's now older than most of them, and was raised in a different country. He doesn't have alot in common with them on a personal level. If the criteria for being a loner weirdo is "not wanting to hang out at a bar with Nick Young" then I guess he's a loner :shrug:. All this athlete personal lives stuff is just narrative-based story writing, and probably has little basis in reality.

??? I'm actually saying the opposite of this.

Kobe literally just gave an interview where he answered the question "Do you have any friends?" with "I have like minds" and went on to talk about how he is a terrible friend because he is so focused on his career. He is the epitome of weirdo loner super athlete.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

straight up brolic posted:

I think the playoffs are going to end up being a let down. Dallas and Memphis are slumping. Portland and OKC are dead. I think GSW stand atop by a good margin followed by the Spurs and then the Clippers who aren't too far apart but are a good distance ahead of Houston. Then the dead/slumping teams. Hopefully everyone picks it up, I want some murder.

Spacebump posted:

After tonight's game Carlisle called out the Mavs for not playing with energy in the 1st half.

I kind of wish they didn't get called out right before playing the Spurs.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think people who are expecting a fresh-blood (well, I guess the Cavs will technically be fresh blood) are going to be disappointed, because at this point it looks like the Spurs got their poo poo together so it's gonna probably be a Lebron vs Spurs Finals again. But those have been good Finals and the playoffs leading up to those results have been good so far so I think we're in for another one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rick posted:

I think people who are expecting a fresh-blood (well, I guess the Cavs will technically be fresh blood) are going to be disappointed, because at this point it looks like the Spurs got their poo poo together so it's gonna probably be a Lebron vs Spurs Finals again. But those have been good Finals and the playoffs leading up to those results have been good so far so I think we're in for another one.

Yea it's probably gonna be more of the same, but the same is pretty great still so...kinda hard to be that upset. Like yea as a 'philosophical' thing I'd rather things get more diverse but two very good teams playing each other in good games is hard to really bitch about.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
The first Spurs and Heat series was something else. Then the culmination of the next year being the same matchup, but the Spurs playing absolutely perfectly was just a narrative dream. I've only been avidly watching the NBA since 2009 though, so I don't have a lot to compare it to.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
By point differential, the best teams post all-star have been the Cavs (per-game +11.2), GSW (+8.8), the Spurs(+7.3), the Jazz (+7.3) then OKC (+6.1).

Bashez is getting nervous because In March the Spurs have been the best and every good fan knows premature bragging hurts your team's chances.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Spurs have been a lot better than they were but Golden State is still the best team in the west. I don't know if people are just bored of them now or default to picking the Spurs or what. Not that SA doesn't have a chance, but Golden State should still be the favorites to come out of the West, especially with home court.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Mavs looked like trash down the stretch in 2011 and won the championship so I think they will win this year too. Fun fact Dallas has never failed to win the title with Tyson Chandler on the team.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So why was Thomas Robinson's constantly bouncing between teams and all? He looks like a serviceable player for the Sixers. He does some good things.

What am I missing?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
The 76ers play uptempo as poo poo and miss a ton of shots which is probably his ideal setup

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DOOP posted:

So why was Thomas Robinson's constantly bouncing between teams and all? He looks like a serviceable player for the Sixers. He does some good things.

What am I missing?

He's a garbage man on offense and doesn't do anything on defense. Not exactly a difficult player to find. He may stick around as a Lou Amundson type, but yeah.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's replacable enough that no one feels bad about throwing him into a deal and good enough for teams to ask for him thrown in. He's a nice rotation big but not someone you feel too bad about losing. He's a fairly athletic 4 who hustles and isn't very skilled. You can find those dudes for next to nothing.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 23, 2015

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

DOOP posted:

What am I missing?

dokmo posted:

Thomas Robinson cannot hit a layup. It's very strange.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
"Currently one of the more serviceable Sixers bench players" isn't the greatest endorsement or anything.

by point diff per game:
2011 February Mavs were best in the league
then March Mavs were 8th best
then April Mavs were 3rd best behind #2 Bulls and #1 Heat

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I still don't get the Pat Pat for T-Rob trade, but every other T-Rob move made sense for both teams.

Also, has any team consistently tried and failed to find a player to fill a position for as long as the Kings have tried and failed to find a PF? At this point I think they have gone through more PFs than Jordan's Bulls went through centers.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I still don't get the Pat Pat for T-Rob trade, but every other T-Rob move made sense for both teams.

The Maloofs were broke and it saved them like 2 mil or something depressing

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

MourningView posted:

Spurs have been a lot better than they were but Golden State is still the best team in the west. I don't know if people are just bored of them now or default to picking the Spurs or what. Not that SA doesn't have a chance, but Golden State should still be the favorites to come out of the West, especially with home court.

The Spurs look better now, but that just means they have an inexplicable loss every 3 or 4 games instead of every other game.

If Iguodala plays like he did against Atlanta I don't think anyone can beat GSW in a 7 game series. Otherwise I think SAS takes it. Unless Parker re-injures himself or something.

Really though, it's going to be hard to beat GSW in a 7 game series where they have homecourt unless they completely fall apart.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

MourningView posted:

The Spurs are pretty curious because their starting line up might be best 5 man in the league. Their bench has not been very good this year, unlike last year. I'm hoping Manu being out is the main reason but Patty's never come back to form after surgery and Bobo's being Bobo. It's just taken forever for people to get back healthy and playing well.

Seriously though, that starting lineup in March has been crazy.

Spite posted:

Really though, it's going to be hard to beat GSW in a 7 game series where they have homecourt unless they completely fall apart.

The Spurs have played the Warriors even in march. The question is, is this Spurs experiencing good variance (almost assuredly) or are the Spurs that good? GSW has been doing it all year.

I'm really just hoping the Spurs can get through the playoffs healthy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Spurs will have a rough road to the finals and they have played a lot of basketball in the last couple years. You never can count them out, but it would be really surprising to me if they went the distance this year.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Bashez posted:

The Spurs are pretty curious because their starting line up might be best 5 man in the league. Their bench has not been very good this year, unlike last year. I'm hoping Manu being out is the main reason but Patty's never come back to form after surgery and Bobo's being Bobo. It's just taken forever for people to get back healthy and playing well.

My only question is who is Bobo and is he a clown?

I didn't think the Spurs had a chance this year, but I guess they have rallied pretty hard since the ASB.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Libertine posted:

My only question is who is Bobo and is he a clown?

Diaw, and sort of.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

chunkles posted:

The Maloofs were broke and it saved them like 2 mil or something depressing

Patterson fit next to Cousins way better than Robinson and for the first 1.5 months he was here and actually shot well, he made our offense really good. Still, was just a plain money grab by the Maloofs

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lockback posted:

Spurs will have a rough road to the finals and they have played a lot of basketball in the last couple years. You never can count them out, but it would be really surprising to me if they went the distance this year.

Really all they need is to get their bench doing like, a bit better

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Boston fans gone CSI for Bonner's balls

quote:

The second part of the video is somewhat in slo-mo, which makes the blow look more intentional. I think in real time the force of freeing his arm from the pick could well have let to the forward motion and an accidental encounter with Bonner's anatomy. That's what Smart says happened, and I think the video at least creates reasonable doubt. Besides, Bonner had just checked into the game. Why would Smart be targeting him? It's a flagrant 2 in either case, but maybe he avoids suspension.
it's fascinating to watch

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I think it's safe to say that we don't understand understand understand understand understand understand the concept of Kevin Love

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The Jazz are so good now, Gobert should win NBA's foreign player of the year award, which is named the Dražen Petrović and is fictional

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Libertine posted:

I didn't think the Spurs had a chance this year, but I guess they have rallied pretty hard since the ASB.

You can go ahead and just write a shell script to repost this every March.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
A few days ago, a couple of people were arguing about whether the Pacers or James Harden were less watchable. Well, why not tune in tonight and have that question answered!

Josh Smith, Patrick Beverly, and Trevor Ariza are all questionable for tonight's game vs the Pacers. Terrence Jones is out with a collapsed lung and Dwight Howard is doubtful as he recovers from super secret military knee surgery. That makes tonight's lineup something like:

Starters - Jason Terry, James Harden, Corey Brewer, Donatas Motiejūnas, Joey Dorsey

Bench - Pablo Prigioni, Nick Johnson, KJ McDaniels, Clint Capela (technically assigned to the D-League and hasn't been called up yet)

Even as a Rockets fan and huge Harden apologist, there is no way this game comes anywhere close to watchable. Dorsey might seriously play 20 plus minutes. We could see Corey Brewer The Power Forward for extended minutes. The offense will be limited to James Harden running into Roy Hibbert for the entirety of the game. Must see TV.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lockback posted:

If there was a 3pt line people would have defended Pistol a lot differently.

This is probably true. But that guy could hit a shot from anywhere with a Steph Curry like quick release. And the defenses back then weren't exactly world beating.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Please don't get drunk, write stupid words about Pete Maravich somehow beating Wilt Chamberlain's scoring record (?) and brag about getting drunk anymore.

No promises.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Jimmy Butler is coming back tonight which is cool.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Niwrad posted:

Jimmy Butler is coming back tonight which is cool.

Welcome back, Jimmy! Enjoy those 41 minutes, you've earned them.

roundmidnight fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 23, 2015

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jimmy Butler returns from injury, plays 48 minutes, the world moves on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BWV posted:

even Mozgov knows what's up. Love just isn't a team player.

Kevin Love posted:

My... it's fine. It's... it's... You know, we're not best friends. We're not hanging out every day, but we see each other every day whether at the practice facility, whether on the road or going to a game. I think our relationship is also evolving. I could say the same with each and every coach, coach Blatt, and each and every player on the team. That's part of the NBA. As I've said all along, as long it's for the greater good then it's fine. I'm sure that, you know, he's going to have me in the next picture. We'll see.

• Locked thread