Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Davin Valkri posted:

*choke* That's an interesting idea to have this early! So does ropecon stand for an acronym, or is it the name of the founder of the convention, or...?

Rope is how people traditionally abbreviate role-playing game in Finnish (the word is roolipeli).

And yeah, a couple of years ago when I was in charge of tabletop RPGs at the con I joked with my friends about how posting "Ropecon looking for Dungeon Masters" online made it look like I was hosting a fetish event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RPG conventions aren't fetish events?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Covok posted:

I immediately found the Colonial Marines one using my rabad alien fan powers.

Cool, thanks!

Rockopolis posted:

http://www.burningwheel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Downloads#Burning_Sands:_Jihad

Welcome to the No-Fly List.
(it's the Dune splat)

I think Under a Serpent Sun was removed for being too suicidal.

Yeah, I have the ones off of the wiki.

The one I really wanted to check out was Under a Serpent Sun. I'm surprised at how tough it is to find, but I haven't looked insanely hard, just 15 minutes of google here and there. I have a little 5 page preview thing with the setting overview, but it's bigger than that, right?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Covok posted:

Got the link to the game? I wonder how an ironic FATAL game would play out especially considering our forum culture.

here's one that sputnik ran... http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1506866

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
To whichever goon or goons recommended Rat Queens.... Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
When I wrote D&D I meant generic heartbreaker stuff. I don't think he's going to be making a licensed WotC product. That's pretty much impossible because that would imply someone other than two people are working on 5th ed and he would have to get a job at Kobold Press.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

dwarf74 posted:

To whichever goon or goons recommended Rat Queens.... Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I know someone who regularly plays in a Rat Queens-inspired Dungeon World game and I am insanely jealous of her.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

You're welcome!

Getting back to running games at the convention, since the theme for this year's Ropecon is "Journey" I kind of want to go with that theme for my games: even though it's not required that games run at the convention follow the theme, I like the idea of having a clear theme in mind because it helps me plan out more focused games. I'm 100% decided on wanting to run Old School Hack, because it owns, but I just need some help with coming with a good dungeon-brawler adventure around that theme.

In contrast to last year, when I ran three Dungeon World games, this year I want to run at least a couple of different systems. Going from the Journey theme, here's a few ideas I've had thus far:
  • A psychotronic arthouse road trip through a post-apocalyptic Route 666. The PCs travel from one end of the Route to the other, and because this is a road trip the journey itself is more important than the destination. On the way the PCs must confront their demons, literal and personal. I could see myself running this with either Apocalypse World or octaNe.[* ]Inverse World adventure structured as a journey from one place to another. Beyond that it's hazy, but I've wanted to run Inverse World at the con for ages to bring it to a wider audience, because it's pretty much my favorite Dungeon World supplement.
  • If On a Wintry Plane a Freebooter from the Calvino Cycle supplement for Dungeon World/World of Dungeons. I'd probably run this thing in World of Dungeons, and it's a pretty solid adventure starter with travel involved. Also, I've wanted to do something with the Planarch Codex for ages.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions beyond those. I could see myself running three, maybe four, different games, the only one that's set in stone at the moment is that I really want to run Old School Hack during the weekend.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Covok posted:

Got the link to the game? I wonder how an ironic FATAL game would play out especially considering our forum culture.
To my recollection they worked out that the easiest way to kill people was by exceeding their AC, so they rolled up a party of orcs due to their improved natural weapons.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

fosborb posted:

I know someone who regularly plays in a Rat Queens-inspired Dungeon World game and I am insanely jealous of her.

It's not explicitly Rat Queens inspired, but the currently running DW pbp in the game room "the sealed land" very often reminds me of RQ.

Of course that's probably at least partly because the hard drinking, foul mouthed monk I play would fit into the comic perfectly.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Huh.

I might be able to adapt Gurps Fantasy: The Mad Lands to this system then.

You certainly could, but bear in mind Hillfolk is about conflicts between people, so the focus would be on conflicts within the tribe rather than dealing with supernatural threats. That's not to say you couldn't have mad shamans and their ilk, but the emphasis would be on how the tribe reacts than a procedural "how do we stab the shaman?" sort of adventure.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Splicer posted:

To my recollection they worked out that the easiest way to kill people was by exceeding their AC, so they rolled up a party of orcs due to their improved natural weapons.

I really, really hope improved natural weapons refer to their claws, fists, or other such things.

Also, Rat Queens is an awesome comic.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm sure you're aware, but OctaNe is likely to make the game more goofy/wacky and out there, where AW is going to give the game a more serious tone, and AW is crunchier, too. Just things to consider about what sort of game you're trying to run.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Ratpick posted:

You're welcome!

Getting back to running games at the convention, since the theme for this year's Ropecon is "Journey" I kind of want to go with that theme for my games: even though it's not required that games run at the convention follow the theme, I like the idea of having a clear theme in mind because it helps me plan out more focused games. I'm 100% decided on wanting to run Old School Hack, because it owns, but I just need some help with coming with a good dungeon-brawler adventure around that theme.

In contrast to last year, when I ran three Dungeon World games, this year I want to run at least a couple of different systems. Going from the Journey theme, here's a few ideas I've had thus far:
  • A psychotronic arthouse road trip through a post-apocalyptic Route 666. The PCs travel from one end of the Route to the other, and because this is a road trip the journey itself is more important than the destination. On the way the PCs must confront their demons, literal and personal. I could see myself running this with either Apocalypse World or octaNe.
  • Inverse World adventure structured as a journey from one place to another. Beyond that it's hazy, but I've wanted to run Inverse World at the con for ages to bring it to a wider audience, because it's pretty much my favorite Dungeon World supplement.
  • If On a Wintry Plane a Freebooter from the Calvino Cycle supplement for Dungeon World/World of Dungeons. I'd probably run this thing in World of Dungeons, and it's a pretty solid adventure starter with travel involved. Also, I've wanted to do something with the Planarch Codex for ages.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions beyond those. I could see myself running three, maybe four, different games, the only one that's set in stone at the moment is that I really want to run Old School Hack during the weekend.
Other games that could be used to play the psychotronic post-apocalyptic road trip:
  • Ribbon Drive, which is a rules-light game built exactly to emulate soul-searching journey's-more-important road trip movies. The rules are based around soundtracks - everyone makes their own and brings it to the table and it's played throughout the game. The first song you play serves as the inspiration for the characters and journey, every time you make a detour you switch soundtrack and through the whole thing you thematically base your narration on the current song.
  • The Drifter's Escape, which is about a singular Drifter (though you could maybe make it about more people) that goes from place to place, getting involved with ordinary people's lives and trying to keep the Man and the Devil from taking hold of their soul. The mechanics are poker-based (both hands and chips).
The main problem I can see is that, by the looks of it, you/r players are looking for crunchier games, while these two are very light. Something else for Ribbon Drive is that each player needs to make a playlist, ideally with a rough theme tying it together, so you'd need to either do that at the table, come up with a bunch of soundtracks yourself in advance or make people aware of it beforehand and hope they do it.

As for games based around the 'Journey' theme in general... Ribbon Drive and The Drifter's Escape work well, as do Carolina Death Crawl (Southern Gothic game about North Carolina Union troops painfully making their way back through South Carolina to their own lines while confronting what terrible people they are and turning into swamp ghosts one by one), HVE Water (lonely survivor in the post-apocalypse makes a journey to find clean water while being haunted by memories of the past) and Psi*Run (escaped amnesiac psychics on the run from government agents and trying to uncover who they really are). These all involve both physical and mental journeys and discoveries. Carolina Death Crawl has an advantage for your con in particular in that it was written by Jason Morningstar.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

UnCO3 posted:

Other games that could be used to play the psychotronic post-apocalyptic road trip:
  • Ribbon Drive, which is a rules-light game built exactly to emulate soul-searching journey's-more-important road trip movies. The rules are based around soundtracks - everyone makes their own and brings it to the table and it's played throughout the game. The first song you play serves as the inspiration for the characters and journey, every time you make a detour you switch soundtrack and through the whole thing you thematically base your narration on the current song.
  • The Drifter's Escape, which is about a singular Drifter (though you could maybe make it about more people) that goes from place to place, getting involved with ordinary people's lives and trying to keep the Man and the Devil from taking hold of their soul. The mechanics are poker-based (both hands and chips).
The main problem I can see is that, by the looks of it, you/r players are looking for crunchier games, while these two are very light. Something else for Ribbon Drive is that each player needs to make a playlist, ideally with a rough theme tying it together, so you'd need to either do that at the table, come up with a bunch of soundtracks yourself in advance or make people aware of it beforehand and hope they do it.

As for games based around the 'Journey' theme in general... Ribbon Drive and The Drifter's Escape work well, as do Carolina Death Crawl (Southern Gothic game about North Carolina Union troops painfully making their way back through South Carolina to their own lines while confronting what terrible people they are and turning into swamp ghosts one by one), HVE Water (lonely survivor in the post-apocalypse makes a journey to find clean water while being haunted by memories of the past) and Psi*Run (escaped amnesiac psychics on the run from government agents and trying to uncover who they really are). These all involve both physical and mental journeys and discoveries. Carolina Death Crawl has an advantage for your con in particular in that it was written by Jason Morningstar.

Ribbon Drive does sound interesting, but it doesn't sound particularly suited to convention gaming, on account of needing each player to make playlists beforehand. The Drifter's Escape sounds interesting though, so I'll have to check it out!

I went and googled Carolina Death Crawl as well and it seems really interesting, mainly because I'm a huge sucker for Southern Gothic. If only it were more readily available in Finland: I don't really want to pay the printing costs + shipping and handling to Finland.

Actually, the Jason Morningstar connection made me think: how about a Fiasco game centered on a road trip? I'm sure there has to be a playset that fits the bill for a game like that.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Ratpick posted:

Actually, the Jason Morningstar connection made me think: how about a Fiasco game centered on a road trip? I'm sure there has to be a playset that fits the bill for a game like that.

Yep!

http://postworldgames.com/2011/08/18/fiasco-playset-roadtrip/

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Ratpick posted:

Ribbon Drive does sound interesting, but it doesn't sound particularly suited to convention gaming, on account of needing each player to make playlists beforehand. The Drifter's Escape sounds interesting though, so I'll have to check it out!

I went and googled Carolina Death Crawl as well and it seems really interesting, mainly because I'm a huge sucker for Southern Gothic. If only it were more readily available in Finland: I don't really want to pay the printing costs + shipping and handling to Finland.

I think you can buy the Carolina Death Crawl cards as a PDF and print them yourself, then stick them to card and cut them out, though obviously they won't be as fancy as the professional ones. Still, it wouldn't be much more costly than printing the equivalent length of rules.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
There's also White Line Fever from the Run Fools, Run PDF:

quote:

Hurtling down the highway in a 1973 AMC Matador, you are an extremely unlikely group of individuals. How did you get here? Why are you going so fast? The answers, and your destiny, are all right here in this cramped seventies muscle car.

You'd have to pay $5 for that though, and apparently the Playsets in that book change the rules a bit so I don't know if you want to use it at a con where it might be someone's first time playing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Covok posted:

I really, really hope improved natural weapons refer to their claws, fists, or other such things.
No.

And AC doesn't stand for Armour Class.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Shouldn't high AC characters in FATAL also be able to engulf, crush and devour other creatures because deviantart taught me that is indeed possible

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Splicer posted:

No.

No...No...gently caress...No...God drat it...That's just hosed up, man.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Covok posted:

You have come to a game called FATAL *whipcrack*

Covok
May 27, 2013

Splicer posted:

You have come to a game called FATAL *whipcrack*

You know, as a guy on skype is reminding me, I really should have saw that coming.

Also, that's hosed up.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ratpick posted:

Getting back to running games at the convention, since the theme for this year's Ropecon is "Journey" I kind of want to go with that theme for my games: even though it's not required that games run at the convention follow the theme, I like the idea of having a clear theme in mind because it helps me plan out more focused games.
I know two other games that have a reputation for doing travel well: The One Ring and Ryuutama. I haven't personally played either, and on top of everything, Ryuutama is still being worked on after its successful Kickstarter. The finished product's probably better for the extra editing pass (lazy Japanese to English translation bugs the poo poo out of me) but man am I getting impatient. :(

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

MadScientistWorking posted:

I don't know if just a bit creepy counts for a man who really likes a movie that features actual animals being mutilated on camera.

Care to elaborate? What movie?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Can only be Cannibal Holocaust.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Splicer posted:

No.

Was that the same game where someone figured out that spec'ing an Ogre for Intimidation, giving the demand "take off your helmet and let me gently caress your face", and then sticking Ogre dick up their ear was an unbeatable strategy? Or did two places on the internet decide to actually run FATAL for some god damned reason?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Sticking your dick in someone's ear is probably an insta kill, for reasons lost to the aether.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

chaos rhames posted:

Sticking your dick in someone's ear is probably an insta kill, for reasons lost to the aether.
Penetrating any hole with something that has a higher diameter than it is an instakill, as I recall, which is why you have to roll for things like anal circumference. So you use an Intimidate action to force your opponent to remove their helmet, and the second you stick your dick in their ear they die.

Which is probably accurate.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

chaos rhames posted:

Sticking your dick in someone's ear is probably a recipe for dancing all night.

FTFY

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AmiYumi posted:

Was that the same game where someone figured out that spec'ing an Ogre for Intimidation, giving the demand "take off your helmet and let me gently caress your face", and then sticking Ogre dick up their ear was an unbeatable strategy? Or did two places on the internet decide to actually run FATAL for some god damned reason?
We have, mercifully, passed the limits of my knowledge of the PbP in question.

My "favourite" part of FATAL was how the cursed armour that turned you into a jewish caricature made your nose bigger and your dick smaller, but the one that turned you into a black caricature only made people think your dick got bigger.

So petty :allears:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 23, 2015

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Covok posted:

Hell I gave the roll equation just up thread.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nice!

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008

Ratpick posted:

Carolina Death Crawl is a lot of fun, but it probably won't see many plays.

Speaking of road trips, Morningstar actually made a game built for playing during a road trip that I've heard good things about called Out of Dodge.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sticking your dick on a hole that tiny should mangle your rod as well, cripes!!! There is a reason people don't gently caress ears outside of Serbia!

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
A guy I know actually legit ran FATAL IRL because his players wouldn't stop joking that he should run it. So he made them sit through an entire session. Apparently it wasn't worth it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I know 4chan had a character creation program for FATAL that sped things up considerably. Despite this not even 1 after action report i've seen has considered it worthwhile. Even on 4chan and they regularly enjoy Adeptus Evangelion.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Doodmons posted:

A guy I know actually legit ran FATAL IRL because his players wouldn't stop joking that he should run it. So he made them sit through an entire session. Apparently it wasn't worth it.

I would get a ticket for a FATAL game at Gencon if I saw one being run. I'm unsure if I would want to go solo or buy tickets for all my friends going with me. Probably the second option though.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Splicer posted:

My "favourite" part of FATAL was how the cursed armour that turned you into a jewish caricature made your nose bigger and your dick smaller, but the one that turned you into a black caricature only made people think your dick got bigger.

So petty :allears:
I recall, off the top of my head, that that's named "The Armor of Nigrous Nincompoopery". Something about the hosed-up Seuss-ian aspect of that book's racism just stands out. It's so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I've gotta be honest, I've never really understood the fascination people have with FATAL. It's not even creatively purile or anything. If you really have a pressing need to bring a bunch of uncreative racism and dick jokes to the gaming table Cards Against Humanity exists and plays a lot quicker.

• Locked thread