Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Helicoprion posted:

Just started work on South Sudan's newest city.

Oh man! Please upload this map! Does it have all the appropriate transport links?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Count Roland posted:

High-tech industry. Maybe this exists and I just don't know it? Requires very high education and good land value. Research labs, communications, manufacturing etc would all be neat. Its odd how industry is so resource based.
Level 3 general industry requires very high education. With offices broken out into their own zone that benefits from abnormally well serviced neighborhoods, it would be weirder if general industry required good land value and no resource imports/cross city transport.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

mackintosh posted:

I'm not so sure. SC's traffic simulation seems to be lifted directly from CIM2, it has the same quirks. The problem with CIM2 boiled down to poor graphics, a drab city design and (initially) very limited vehicle pool.
Well, they've ironed a few of those quirks, for instance I haven't seen cars come off a freeway only to drive right back onto it. That used to drive me spare in CiM 2 and I would lose sight of the point of the game (which is was setting up transit networks) and try to fix the traffic flow at my own expense.

The Cities in Motion games are still pretty niche. I reckon they'll return to it in a couple of years but right now CO are probably going to have their hands full fleshing out the base game and coming up with DLC in the meantime. And swimming in their pool of money.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe. From the interviews, Skylines was what they always wanted to make, and Cities in Motion was a stepping stone, a way to make a game out of some of the technologies they'd need to develop on the way.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Rudager posted:

loving

Ambulances

Just gently caress off and let them die.

It's hilarious when you plop a new hospital down and a flood of ambulances rush out.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

The Deadly Hume posted:

Well, they've ironed a few of those quirks, for instance I haven't seen cars come off a freeway only to drive right back onto it.

Cars in my city are really schizophrenic like that. I've seen tons of cars coming into the city from outside, only to make a U-turn at the first opportunity and drive right back out again.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

For people complaining about the renewables being too strong somebody uploaded a reasonably balanced and great looking panelpark. Very low maintenance but high build cost and takes up an absurd area.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409354116

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Cars in my city are really schizophrenic like that. I've seen tons of cars coming into the city from outside, only to make a U-turn at the first opportunity and drive right back out again.

They're telling you something about your city design skills.

:v:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So a British friend of mine just bought the game and I'm watching him play. He doesn't have a driver's license and has basically used London's public transportation his whole life. Watching him building roads networks is adorable, especially his first attempt at an interchange. Which he left about half done until I reminded him that southbound needed a off ramp and northbound needed an onramp. :allears:

I'm jealous really, I wish where I lived had decent enough public transportation that I could've gone my whole life without driving.

haha, I'm the opposite way- I unlock the mass transit options and sort of stare at them, unsure what to do as Kansas is untouched by all but rudimentary bus systems. And even that was confusing to lay down- I found that placing stops and lines like they are in my town resulted in way too many stops, way too many buses. A simpler system, placing stops about as far apart as the 2-4 major stops on a line, worked a little better, but really my favored solution given where I live is to just build more roads using the extremely ample amount of space available.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

A redditors' sperggrid project runs into problems:

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
That toggle traffic light mod has fixed 95% of the traffic problems in my 400k city. The only remaining issues are too many vehicles trying to get on a highway at the same time.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Somebody should make a paperboy mod.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

More like somebody should make a Moonside mod

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Mitt Romney posted:

That toggle traffic light mod has fixed 95% of the traffic problems in my 400k city. The only remaining issues are too many vehicles trying to get on a highway at the same time.

oh toggling them sounds great; makes it so traffic management includes using traffic lights strategically to intentionally create well-spaced bundles of traffic

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So is this game basically Traffic Engineering, The Game?

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I decided to make a simple plaza to get a little back into a little modelling again. I might keep at it because it isn't too much work to do something acceptable considering the lighting does a lot of the work.

Workshop Link

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SquadronROE posted:

Traffic management is a very major component of it, yes. The same is true of real city governance too.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SquadronROE posted:

Traffic is a big part of it, yes. It's one of the things that separates it from Sim City.

That said, it's manageable and actually ends up being pretty fun once you get the hang of it.

It's very satisfying seeing your little cars smoothly run around your little roads :3:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I've been looking for some excuses to get into more 3D modeling and texture painting stuff. Maybe i will try to make a building. This game need public libraries! It seems weird that you can build a university, which most cities don't have, but not a bunch of libraries with branches.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm having a very strange problem that I'm surprised no one has ever run into
So I made a round-about specifically for placing two metro stations in to link lines. Every other stop is in a circle like this, but I noticed something strange, people were only using every other stop.

Absolutely no usage. Tons of pedestrials walking THROUGH the square to get to the next closest metro stop, but no one actually using it other than an employee working at the stop sometimes.

Here is the next station up the road, this time not placed on a one-way. Extremely busy.

And the next station, absolutely no usage.

Here's where you can really see it. Massive crowds get off the subway at the right on the avenue even though all their jobs at the stop on the left.

And the very last stop is not in one of these special round-abouts nor is it a cross-over station, it's just a normal station that happens to be on a one-way street. 0 usage despite being around many jobs. Some cims will walk all the way from the metro station 2 stops down to reach here.

The metro its self is functioning fine, following the trains they stop at every station. I've tried re-making the routes, re-building the stations, nothing. It honestly seems like metros simply will not work when placed on a one-way street or at least a one-way street forming any part of a circle. Is there something wrong with my specific game or was such a huge bug missed?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

neonnoodle posted:

I've been looking for some excuses to get into more 3D modeling and texture painting stuff. Maybe i will try to make a building. This game need public libraries! It seems weird that you can build a university, which most cities don't have, but not a bunch of libraries with branches.

The University is pretty crazy at 4500 student capacity too. A local college with half or a third of that capacity would be kinda cool.

But yeah, the only library is the big weird one that is a special building. Maybe it can be done as a "park" so it doesn't provide education benefits, but does improve the happiness/appeal of the surrounding area.

Also, friendly reminder that we have a modding thread now!

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up

Fishbus posted:

I decided to make a simple plaza to get a little back into a little modelling again. I might keep at it because it isn't too much work to do something acceptable considering the lighting does a lot of the work.

Workshop Link

Thanks for the sensible scale on this. Everybody seems to make their statues so they can admire them from the drat regional view.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Galaga Galaxian posted:

But yeah, the only library is the big weird one that is a special building. Maybe it can be done as a "park" so it doesn't provide education benefits, but does improve the happiness/appeal of the surrounding area.
I think it would make sense to have a "Main" library on a high school base with branches as elementary schools. There's a somewhat analogous capacity/area coverage property.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The University is pretty crazy at 4500 student capacity too. A local college with half or a third of that capacity would be kinda cool.

Also, friendly reminder that we have a modding thread now!

I'm waiting for someone to create Greendale.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Michaellaneous posted:

I am still awaiting a cities skylines Magnasanti. I know that it will freak me out just as much of the original..

I think we'll have to wait a year or more for that to happen. One of the things with Skylines is that it's too new for that level of brutal min-maxing. Almost nobody has the game completely figured out yet, so gaming the system with OCD-level precision optimization isn't possible.

Skylines also isn't amenable to that particular degree of precision because it's not grid-based. Outside of prefabbed intersections, "optimal" placement of anything requires eyeballing it and praying your roads aren't off by too many pixels, forcing you to either start over or just accept that you're city's going to be messy.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Fishbus posted:

Workshop Link

Did you go to Michigan?

Are there any, like 2x1, 2x2, 3x2 parks out there? All the stock parks are loving enormous, and I need to fill in all those little corner spaces and junk. There's a simple 1x1 park, but I can't be plopping those eeeverywhere.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I feel like Im missing something or playing the game wrong because I cant force myself to build those grids that have every space filled in with something. I also hate straight lines too apparently. :(

On the other hand you guys helped me fix up my bus routes to actually function so yay less traffic!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

I feel like Im missing something or playing the game wrong because I cant force myself to build those grids that have every space filled in with something. I also hate straight lines too apparently. :(

On the other hand you guys helped me fix up my bus routes to actually function so yay less traffic!

Grids are for chumps. Real cities have curves. Honestly, just make it as messy as you like. Especially with the tree brush even the most crazy cities look really fancy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Duck and burger posted:

Did you go to Michigan?

Are there any, like 2x1, 2x2, 3x2 parks out there? All the stock parks are loving enormous, and I need to fill in all those little corner spaces and junk. There's a simple 1x1 park, but I can't be plopping those eeeverywhere.

It takes like 5 minutes to make a custom park with the in-game tools. You specify how big the plot is, and plop whatever you want onto the space. You adjust the effectiveness of the park by setting a few numbers.

It's really cool how easy it is, and a wider array of park sizes the first change I made to the game.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Duck and burger posted:

Did you go to Michigan?

I knew I recognized that design from somewhere

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Duck and burger posted:

Did you go to Michigan?

Just make your own in the asset editor ffs that's what it's there for.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I'm guessing this question was missed earlier when I asked it, but is the PopBalanceMod viable at all? And will I just run straight into the agent cap way earlier in the cities life?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Really enjoying this game, even if I suck at building cities and traffic management. My Cims better get used to dead bodies and trash piling up because the garbage trucks and hearses take forever to pick them up.

Do industrial areas need parks to upgrade? Seems kinda weird to plop a playground in the middle of smoke belching factories.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

SwissCM posted:

I'm waiting for someone to create Greendale.

Already renamed one of mine to Greendale.

The other is City College :argh:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Starhawk64 posted:

Really enjoying this game, even if I suck at building cities and traffic management. My Cims better get used to dead bodies and trash piling up because the garbage trucks and hearses take forever to pick them up.

Do industrial areas need parks to upgrade? Seems kinda weird to plop a playground in the middle of smoke belching factories.

Where else will your child labourers go to unwind after a hard day at the creosote factory?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Starhawk64 posted:

Little Timmy has to play somewhere while dad is off making Frank's Fishsticks.

On that note, I didn't get a screenshot of this, but I caught a forestry truck making a delivery to Frank's Fishsticks. The secret ingredient...is sawdust.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm in this weird place where my city seems to have flattened out. Everyone's reasonably happy, traffic's not that bad, all my services are over capacity... but my RCI is zeroed out and new zones don't really want to grow. Any tips?

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
Are there any parking lot sets that have in-game icons? I love me some parking lots, but I can't stand when my menus are cluttered with those stupid 'no preview available' icon.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Where else will your child labourers go to unwind after a hard day at the creosote factory?

Now I want someone to make a dystopian mod, with the ugliest, dirtiest, and most overcrowded buildings that would put Hive Cities from Warhammer 40K to shame.

Kinda joking though, I love this game's clean and green near future atheistic. High tech houses and high rises are pretty. :3:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

DEO3 posted:

Are there any parking lot sets that have in-game icons? I love me some parking lots, but I can't stand when my menus are cluttered with those stupid 'no preview available' icon.

Do preview icons work at all? It seems like the snapshot feature is work in progress, doesn't even have any kind of confirmation that you took a snapshot, and it seems to only work for the load/save dialog, and not in game.