Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I said come in! posted:

Gametrailers gave Mario Party 10 a pretty poor review, calling the mini-games dull and devoid of any skill, with only a couple exceptions, and saying there were not enough mini-games.

There's only one minigame I can think of that is terrible.

There does feel like a distinct lack of em in the amount though. I never really saw any 2v2 minigames until I looked in freeplay and saw there's only like 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Played MP10 with some friends last night.

Pretty loving annoying that they couldn't get Pro controllers working with this game, since the 4 of us only had 2 wiimotes between us, but each had a Pro controller ready to go.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Lots of the mini games require either pointing or motion which is why Wii controllers are needed.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Tatsuta Age posted:

Played MP10 with some friends last night.

Pretty loving annoying that they couldn't get Pro controllers working with this game, since the 4 of us only had 2 wiimotes between us, but each had a Pro controller ready to go.

Really? That's too bad, I think I'll pass on this one then.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does Wii Party U use Pro controllers?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

no

Both Wii Party U and mp10 use standard, non motion plus remotes, you can probably get 4 locally on craigslist for like 20bux

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I feel like we should have a lot more Splatoon information if it's coming in 1.5 months. For example, a release date. I'd love to preorder it from someone.

Nintendo juuuuuuuuust put up a website, though. http://splatoon.nintendo.com. It doesn't work on iPad so I can't tell you much about it right now though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOA did/is doing private media briefings for Splatoon and there's a Direct due any time now.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bean posted:

I feel like we should have a lot more Splatoon information if it's coming in 1.5 months. For example, a release date. I'd love to preorder it from someone.

Nintendo juuuuuuuuust put up a website, though. http://splatoon.nintendo.com. It doesn't work on iPad so I can't tell you much about it right now though.

I imagine a pre-E3 Direct should come out soon within the next two weeks, at least before Affordable Space Adventures and Xenoblade Chronicles 3D come out.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Bean posted:

This is how Nintendo almost always goes. You almost never know anything until release is upon you (for first party games at least).

Splatoon looks great though, the whole aesthetic reminds me of a lot of the aesthetic in the late '90s and early '00s. It gives me a kind of Jet Set Radio vibe too (for more than just the "graffiti" analogy).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Isn't "Q1" coming to an end in like a week? No Woolly World announcement?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PRADA SLUT posted:

Isn't "Q1" coming to an end in like a week? No Woolly World announcement?

Depends on if it's a regular or fiscal calendar Q1

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

jivjov posted:

Depends on if it's a regular or fiscal calendar Q1

When they mention target releases in quarters it's always for regular calenders, as the information is for the public to anticipate release and not every consumer knows where the fiscal years start and end.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wooly World hasn't been Q1 for a while, who knows what's going on with that game.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

It's being delayed to be an NX launch title.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

DrPaper posted:

It's being delayed to be an NX launch title.

No it's the Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem that;s delayed.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey so in amiibo party I just discovered you can make your own board and wondering why no one ever mentioned it.

Let's say you have a Mario board and you play it you can get tokens that change a slice of the board to another characters (like luigi's) so you can wind up with Mario Luigi Toad Toad or something. When you finish the board however you get to keep the token and save it to your amiibo.

Next time you scan it in and it yells MARIO BOARD instead of hitting play in the top right corner you still have access to the character pieces you had found and you can freely customize the board however you want. The tokens don't seem to get used up either so you can play on the wario board early if you want or on another character entirely.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So you're able to change it before the game starts or do you just have to have everybody bring a token and use it on their first turns or somthing?

Good to know either way!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So you're able to change it before the game starts or do you just have to have everybody bring a token and use it on their first turns or somthing?

Good to know either way!

It's both. Amiibos can collect character tokens, which modify the board, and gameplay tokens, which modify, uh, gameplay. You can use up to four character tokens at the beginning of the game to make the board, but only bring one gameplay or character token per Amiibo into the game. Amiibos can pick up and use tokens during regular gameplay, though.

I'm glad the tokens exist, because it means that you can play the boards for Amiibos you don't have (TOAD :argh:).

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Anime Curator posted:

No it's the Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem that;s delayed.

No that's just cancelled.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

DrPaper posted:

No that's just cancelled.

Even though nothing of it has ever been shown beyond an early 2014(or 2013?) teaser splash screen, it isn't cancelled. There's been one mention of it in interview in the last year and they said it was still in development. Technically it isn't even delayed since there was never a given release window in the first place.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SeANMcBAY posted:

No, but it does come with a wiimote. Kind of odd that Mario Party wouldn't if it needs one.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

greatn posted:

Even though nothing of it has ever been shown beyond an early 2014(or 2013?) teaser splash screen, it isn't cancelled. There's been one mention of it in interview in the last year and they said it was still in development. Technically it isn't even delayed since there was never a given release window in the first place.

Also its still listed in the upcoming games section of their financial reports.

If anything the long dev time is probably attributable to Atlus getting sold to Sega last year.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

raditts posted:

No, but it does come with a wiimote. Kind of odd that Mario Party wouldn't if it needs one.

I think Nintendo is assuming you bought 4 Wiimotes for your original Wii. Silly.

The refurbs on Nintendo's site are an amazing deal though. If you need one now now now though, yeah Craigslist or check with friends. Everyone's got a Nintendo Wii sitting somewhere collecting dust with Wiimotes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
SMT vs. FE is the Gamecube Kirby Dreamland of this generation.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Splatoon has been confirmed to not have any voice chat.

In addition, a brief gameplay video showing the game's single-player campaign has come out, along with a video showcasing the Splat Zones game mode, which appears to be a king-of-the-hill-esque battle type.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Does Wii U have a PS4-esque party chat feature? If so, that would be enough for me... better, probably.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

zenintrude posted:

Does Wii U have a PS4-esque party chat feature? If so, that would be enough for me... better, probably.

For MH3U you could talk directly into the controller.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

zenintrude posted:

I know that the Wii U has a voice chat thing, but I'm fairly confident it does not carry over into games. So no, unfortunately. You'll have to use Skype/Mumble/what have you.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm legitimately surprised that, even with Nintendo being stuck in 1984, there's not a standalone chat app that can be carried over into games kinda like how Xbox Live parties worked. I guess I'm not really surprised as much as I am wishful.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

one of the options in Smash for Wii U is "microphone volume". I assume you can just talk directly into the gamepad.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Calico Heart posted:

one of the options in Smash for Wii U is "microphone volume". I assume you can just talk directly into the gamepad.
This is correct, for Super Smash Bros.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Did Square ever say anything about Dragon Quest X coming over here? I was surprised last fall they made a few statements about how they'd like to bring it over which really surprised me. And they removed the IP block so anyone could play it but that's not too huge a deal.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Did Square ever say anything about Dragon Quest X coming over here? I was surprised last fall they made a few statements about how they'd like to bring it over which really surprised me. And they removed the IP block so anyone could play it but that's not too huge a deal.

I'm surprised they haven't tried this yet after the success of FFXIV. Square-Enix right now is running like the 2nd most popular subscription MMO, with around 4 million active subscribers.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

I said come in! posted:

I'm surprised they haven't tried this yet after the success of FFXIV. Square-Enix right now is running like the 2nd most popular subscription MMO, with around 4 million active subscribers.

It's neck and neck between World of Warcraft ATM because the post expansion drop off was a few million people. They're on equal footing pretty much.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

noirstronaut posted:

I'm legitimately surprised that, even with Nintendo being stuck in 1984, there's not a standalone chat app that can be carried over into games kinda like how Xbox Live parties worked. I guess I'm not really surprised as much as I am wishful.

Nintendo wants to protect their Family Friendly image. I don't think smack talking 8 year olds fit that image.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Snuffman posted:

I think Nintendo is assuming you bought 4 Wiimotes for your original Wii. Silly.

The refurbs on Nintendo's site are an amazing deal though. If you need one now now now though, yeah Craigslist or check with friends. Everyone's got a Nintendo Wii sitting somewhere collecting dust with Wiimotes.

A year or so ago TRU had some clearance deal on Fling Smash where I got a whole set of Wii Motion Plus wiimotes for under $25.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Rexroom posted:

Nintendo wants to protect their Family Friendly image. I don't think smack talking 8 year olds fit that image.

It really would be impossible, I think. Give people an ungoverned space to say things and then make them play a competitive game and watch the racist insults and sailor-grade cursing ensue.

Maybe if they carefully restricted voice-chat to people in your friends list or something?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I said come in! posted:

That's crazy I had no idea FFXIV was so big. I guess basically redoing the entire game feom the ground up was a good idea after all. The first version of it, oh man :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Monkey Fracas posted:

It really would be impossible, I think. Give people an ungoverned space to say things and then make them play a competitive game and watch the racist insults and sailor-grade cursing ensue.

Maybe if they carefully restricted voice-chat to people in your friends list or something?

This is what I meant by XBL parties.

• Locked thread