Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Ahh, now that's the kind of broad outline of my mission I was hoping for! I do have one question to go back to, though: How do I focus on killing off my character's brother so I can inherit the mainland Denmark provinces from him? I'm Hrorekr of Blekinge starting at the Charlemagne bookmark. My father'll die off soon, leaving me his kingdom of Sjaelland. My brother has me as his heir, so once he's out of the picture, I have some actual kingdom to rule. Oh, and I just loving found the button to trigger a plot to kill him, go figure. So this post is now just me rambling and thanking you. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Threep posted:

I believe it just picks a random deity from your religion, so Sword of the Peacock Angel seems possible.

Got "Sword of the Spirits" last night in my Canary Islands Merchant Republic game.

And holy poo poo. I'd just won the war against the Umayyads to take Marrakech and reformed the faith. The new High Priestess of the West African church almost immediately declares a Great Holy War for Andalusia, grabs the freshly minted Holy Order of the Spriit Guardians and gets pretty much every single one of my vassals to pitch in and kick the Umayyads in the teeth while they're down. The loving annoying thing was that I was still in a truce with the Umayyads and was not permitted to join the Great Holy War. So I watched the High Priestess stomp allcomers' faces in and rack up the leading warscore. By the time my truce expired, the Great Holy War was at 80% and I had very little chance of overtaking the High Priestess. So I just shrugged and declared a County Conquest for an errant province I wanted.

So the Great Holy War ends with victory for the West African faith. Andalusia goes to the High Priestess. The whole thing. And of course, what she eventually decides to do is give every county title to a temple-holder. I can make five or six duchies, but I have no one to loving grant them to. Andalusia is now one large theocracy headed by the religious head of the faith, who owes fealty to the Prince Mayor of a Merchant Republic. She, High Priestess Adja the Glorious, has just now declared another Holy War for Burgundian Valencia and looks to be keen on expanding the theocracy into the entirety of Hispania. I am going to have to work hard to keep up with the crazy bloodllust-filled bastard.

...And that loving County Conquest. I wanted to nab Massat, a coastal county that had three spare slots in it and the final part of my Duchy of Marrakech. Thankfully the count there was already building me a temple so I didn't have to spend my own money. It finished shortly after I declared my siege. But because the Umayyads had been thoroughly beaten, I had to go some way to find extra warscore and the conquest took longer than I thought. By the time I took Massat, the fucker had somehow managed to not only finish building a Castle on top of the Temple but had started building another one, thus filling all the slots and preventing me from being able to build extra cities for the cash. Didn't even get to capture and murder the arsehole for that.

Coward fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 23, 2015

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Next question! Ambition: Become independent. I chose this thinking it'd easily be accomplished once my father died and left the kingdom to me, but it doesn't appear to be the case. How do I get this thing to go off and give me the 200 prestige I am rightly owed?

edit: GOD DAMNIT! That's the SECOND time I've posted something in this thread, only to have the answer become apparent within 5 seconds of returning to the game. Become Independent's completion triggered literally the day after I unpaused.

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 23, 2015

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Haha yeah that's thrown me off before too---the game autopauses on a big event, but the ambition doesn't trigger until the next day.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Haha yeah that's thrown me off before too---the game autopauses on a big event, but the ambition doesn't trigger until the next day.

It sometimes gets humorous with the more situational traits. I'm playing a reformed Roman Empire game and succession is always funny because an independence faction always gets a large following, then the membership always drops off in a week/month when the game finally realizes you are in charge of Rome and should have the Augustus trait, which makes everyone magically like you a little more.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Roughly 100 years left for my Empire Italia game. Can I convert to Islam and get the Viking Ummah achievement in time? That requires two more capitol switches, but if I choose Stewardship he'll get depressed and I can just have him commit suicide.

Have 73% of achievements now!

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Is there a way to filter the list of potential spouses? It seems quite a basic feature to not be there but I can't find anything.

e: In my quest to unite Ireland, I now have room to expand but unfortunately everyone else in Ireland has some very powerful allies. I guess it's just a matter of waiting until someone loses them? I have allies of my own but I'm not that confident that they'd help or that they'd win.

e2: Holy poo poo, following on from his Dad dying at 52 a cripple my guy has just died of illness at 31 leaving a single 1 year old heir. lovely gene pool in this save. With a stewardship of 0 and only nobody I can land, I guess I'm going to have to give someone independence?

Ah, never mind, my regent's stewardship bonus didn't kick in until I unpaused.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 23, 2015

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Walton Simons posted:

Is there a way to filter the list of potential spouses? It seems quite a basic feature to not be there but I can't find anything.

e: In my quest to unite Ireland, I now have room to expand but unfortunately everyone else in Ireland has some very powerful allies. I guess it's just a matter of waiting until someone loses them? I have allies of my own but I'm not that confident that they'd help or that they'd win.

e2: Holy poo poo, following on from his Dad dying at 52 a cripple my guy has just died of illness at 31 leaving a single 1 year old heir. lovely gene pool in this save. With a stewardship of 0 and only nobody I can land, I guess I'm going to have to give someone independence?

Ah, never mind, my regent's stewardship bonus didn't kick in until I unpaused.

1. So in the header, type in the traits that you want: genius, quick if genius can't be found, and strong. If it's very early in the game, not a lot of people will have been spawned by the AI, so if you need to breed you want want to sort by stats and marry someone with the stats you want to boost, then divorce them later when a genius becomes available.

2. Yes, that usually happens with Scotland in at least one county. Take the counties you can take and then work on other stuff, like England if it's still not united. Things that will expand your domain and therefore your army so it will be big enough to take on the big person. Put out as many false claims as you can get on smaller kingdoms or earldoms. Also, don't rely too much on allies, as they tend not to show up for you, and their AI when they do show up is really lovely. If they have to get on a boat to get to you they will almost definitely not show.

3. Letting someone go independent is not actually the worst thing in the world. If it's just one guy, he'll be smaller than you, and you can retake him when you're in a stronger position. When it's most of your vassals, it can be basically game ending. Also if someone is small and they want to go independent, poke them into revolting alone and take them down. Everyone else will get a +25 to you for "crushed a major revolt."

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Ahh, I thought I could only use the filter to find specific people. Really useful stuff all round, thanks.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Wow I have hundreds of hours in this game and I just learned about filtering for traits.

Also, I love getting 1-year old characters because it means if you can make it through regency you've already built up a good amount of prestige and +opinion from long reign. It's great for stability if you can swing the same ruler for 50 years, and starting as an infant really helps!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think it has something to do with how the Dharmic religions are handled by the game - the fact that you can switch freely between them, and various other benefits that apply to the group as a whole but not necessarily to the Zunists. Also I think if they were in the Dharmic group you would have to have RoI to play as them.

Yeah come to think of it if they actually were Dharmic then that would probably mean that every now and then you'd get an entirely Zunist India.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Wow I have hundreds of hours in this game and I just learned about filtering for traits.

Also, I love getting 1-year old characters because it means if you can make it through regency you've already built up a good amount of prestige and +opinion from long reign. It's great for stability if you can swing the same ruler for 50 years, and starting as an infant really helps!

It's working out this way for me. I managed to knock back an invasion from Norge, too so I've got a lot of goodwill already at the age of 16. Finally got a vulnerable Connaghta and the ability to take it. Tir Chonaill have a CB on us but their young ruler is already over his demense limit so fingers crossed I can take Connaghta without being blindsided.

Update: Got off to a poor start and needed mercenary assistance but won the day in the end and even managed to fight off the Tir Chonaill claim on the same land to a 100% warscore, granting us 250 gold and now nobody has a CB on us, very good outcome.

I now have an heir, a daughter, so still no more landing for me but my queen is only 25 so plenty of time for that.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 23, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Walton Simons posted:

I now have an heir, a daughter, so still no more landing for me but my queen is only 25 so plenty of time for that.

For the love of God, don't say that aloud. Don't even THINK you're safe, because you never are :tinfoil: get those +fertility bonuses and keep at it!

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Yep, currently trying to expand my brood.

Now I'm a Petty King, I don't need to worry about people I give land to being related to me, do I? I'll always be liege to them and whoever inherits from them.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Walton Simons posted:

Yep, currently trying to expand my brood.

Now I'm a Petty King, I don't need to worry about people I give land to being related to me, do I? I'll always be liege to them and whoever inherits from them.

You don't need to worry about that, no. In fact giving land to family members is often more trouble than it's worth.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Awesome, I've just fabricated claims and Breifne are about to get it. When they'be not bezzies with the Kings of Scotland and Navarra, anyway.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Walton Simons posted:

Awesome, I've just fabricated claims and Breifne are about to get it.

Give land to any courtier who likes you, but especially those with the content trait. Or old people with no heir so that you can inherit it back in a few years.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

marktheando posted:

You don't need to worry about that, no. In fact giving land to family members is often more trouble than it's worth.

But the trouble is just so much fun.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

marktheando posted:

Giving land to family does slowly increase your familial prestige, though. And every family member (including your heir) gets born with 1/5 your family's prestige, which is a nice little bonus.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

If anyone wants to read a book about the Middle Ages that pairs really well with this game, I'm going through Barbara Tuchman's classic "A Distant Mirror," a history book about the 14th century. I wasn't so interested when I bought it about 5 years back but now I'm totally into it. It really goes into the ridiculous lengths knights and kings would go to to enforce their claims through marriage.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Sorry, one more thing I don't get and can't find by Googling. Can I tell if a potential enemy will be able to call allies to war? I looked at a nearby Duke's allies, all had 'cannot call to war'. I thought, great, he can't help himself. I declare war, first thing he does is get the King of Norge involved. How did he do that?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Walton Simons posted:

Sorry, one more thing I don't get and can't find by Googling. Can I tell if a potential enemy will be able to call allies to war? I looked at a nearby Duke's allies, all had 'cannot call to war'. I thought, great, he can't help himself. I declare war, first thing he does is get the King of Norge involved. How did he do that?

He will call his allies but they won't come if (a) they are already allied with you, or (b) like you more than they like him.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

What I'm trying to say is that I looked at his allies, which included the King of Norge, but hovering over him gave a 'cannot call to war' message, but somehow he did call them. I had assumed that the 'cannot call to war' message was a foolproof way of finding out if a potential target could call for backup but obviously not.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Walton Simons posted:

That "can call to war" "cannot call to war" thing relates to wars that are already being fought. Just because he couldn't call Norge into any of his current wars didn't mean that he couldn't call him into war against you once you declared.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's pretty useless.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I haven't played in a long time and recently got back into this with all the expansions.

The early polish war tribe game as Silesia has been really fun and now I'm an Emperor! My question is does this game have a badboy mechanic? It seems like all wars are closely regulated through rules, so it's not clear to me if a badboy mechanic is needed. But I've been expanding like nuts using my "subjugate X" claims that I seem to periodically get for free.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Volkerball posted:

That "can call to war" "cannot call to war" thing relates to wars that are already being fought. Just because he couldn't call Norge into any of his current wars didn't mean that he couldn't call him into war against you once you declared.

I see, I'll check the relations between all parties in future.

At a bit of a loose end at the moment as everyone in Ireland who isn't in my Petty Kingdom are somehow related to each other or some Scots and Welsh so they have potential allies with the +30 marriage ties modifier so I won't win a popularity contest. So I'm just biding my time, developing my holdings and keeping an eye out for any deaths or broken alliances I can seize on.

GreenMarine posted:

I haven't played in a long time and recently got back into this with all the expansions.

The early polish war tribe game as Silesia has been really fun and now I'm an Emperor! My question is does this game have a badboy mechanic? It seems like all wars are closely regulated through rules, so it's not clear to me if a badboy mechanic is needed. But I've been expanding like nuts using my "subjugate X" claims that I seem to periodically get for free.

I'm pretty new (see this page) but I'm fairly sure there isn't. If you don't have a Casus Belli, you can't start a war, if you do, fair play.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

I see, I'll check the relations between all parties in future.

At a bit of a loose end at the moment as everyone in Ireland who isn't in my Petty Kingdom are somehow related to each other or some Scots and Welsh so they have potential allies with the +30 marriage ties modifier so I won't win a popularity contest. So I'm just biding my time, developing my holdings and keeping an eye out for any deaths or broken alliances I can seize on.

I'm pretty new (see this page) but I'm fairly sure there isn't. If you don't have a Casus Belli, you can't start a war, if you do, fair play.

But, at the conclusion of a war you started, a truce with the defending party is created. If you still have casus belli, you can fight them again, but with major penalties if you don't wait out the truce.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Walton Simons posted:

Just assume that literally every ally that isn't a vassal will be called in, because they often are. I've seen France trek troops down to Jerusalem, taking massive attrition, to help out a third cousin or whatever.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I had a great king who was pretty much almost exalted by 20. Loads of Piety (2000) and 980 prestige. Then he died because of illness from an aggravated wound.

That's loving Crusader Kings for you :argh:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just beat the game on Iron Man from the first starting point. Almost took the entire map, but sadly I had been too cautious and got held back by that bug I mentioned a few pages back where suddenly some of my counties lost all their buildings due to a bug. I only had a few counties in India and eastern Russia left to invade.

I will probably never replay the game. Not because it is bad, but because it was so physically taxing to complete as it was (I know that's not how you're "supposed" to play it), not to mention all the bugs and annoying issues with constantly clicking the same event options, revolts, and sluggish engine.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

evilmiera posted:

Just beat the game on Iron Man from the first starting point. Almost took the entire map, but sadly I had been too cautious and got held back by that bug I mentioned a few pages back where suddenly some of my counties lost all their buildings due to a bug. I only had a few counties in India and eastern Russia left to invade.

I will probably never replay the game. Not because it is bad, but because it was so physically taxing to complete as it was (I know that's not how you're "supposed" to play it), not to mention all the bugs and annoying issues with constantly clicking the same event options, revolts, and sluggish engine.

Speaking of sluggish engines, is there a performance mod? There used to be one for CK1 and I think there might've been one for CK2 as well but it's been too long since I played on the reg. I get so much slowdown even with trees off.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Darth Windu posted:

Speaking of sluggish engines, is there a performance mod? There used to be one for CK1 and I think there might've been one for CK2 as well but it's been too long since I played on the reg. I get so much slowdown even with trees off.

Im playing from CM start to the time limit, around 1200 now.

My dinasty got so big (around 6000 total members) that the dynasty window became unusable. I just cant scroll it, the scrolling is so slow that it basically does not moves.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im playing from CM start to the time limit, around 1200 now.

My dinasty got so big (around 6000 total members) that the dynasty window became unusable. I just cant scroll it, the scrolling is so slow that it basically does not moves.
Whythegameneeddynamicdysnastybranches.txt
Dear game, I don't care about those distant family members: I banished their ancestors 200 years ago. I don't care, they are Muslims, baron level in Persia and 250+ provinces away from Spain. I just want news from the Italian branch.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 24, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

dj_clawson posted:

If anyone wants to read a book about the Middle Ages that pairs really well with this game, I'm going through Barbara Tuchman's classic "A Distant Mirror," a history book about the 14th century. I wasn't so interested when I bought it about 5 years back but now I'm totally into it. It really goes into the ridiculous lengths knights and kings would go to to enforce their claims through marriage.

I can second this. I went through the copy at my library and by page 8 it shamed most play-throughs

Barbara Tuchmann posted:

Aubry’s successor, Enguerrand I, was a man of many scandals, obsessed by lust for women, according to Abbot Guibert (himself a victim of repressed sexuality, as revealed in his Confessions). Seized by a passion for Sybil, wife of a lord of Lorraine, Enguerrand succeeded, with the aid of a compliant Bishop of Laon who was his first cousin, in divorcing his first wife, Adèle de Marie, on charges of adultery. Afterward he married Sybil with the sanction of the Church while her husband was absent at war and while the lady herself was pregnant as the result of still a third liaison. She was said to be of dissolute morals.

Out of this vicious family situation came that “raging wolf” (in the words of another famous abbot, Suger of St. Denis), the most notorious and savage of the Coucys, Thomas de Marie, son of the repudiated Adèle. Bitterly hating the father who had cast his paternity in doubt, Thomas grew up to take part in the ceaseless war originally launched against Enguerrand I by the discarded husband of Sybil. These private wars were fought by the knights with furious gusto and a single strategy, which consisted in trying to ruin the enemy by killing or maiming as many of his peasants and destroying as many crops, vineyards, tools, barns, and other possessions as possible, thereby reducing his sources of revenue. As a result, the chief victim of the belligerents was their respective peasantry. Abbot Guibert claimed that in the “mad war” of Enguerrand against the Lorrainer, captured men had their eyes put out and feet cut off with results that could still be seen in the district in his time. The private wars were the curse of Europe which the crusades, it has been thought, were subconsciously invented to relieve by providing a vent for aggression.

When the great summons of 1095 came to take the cross and save the Holy Sepulcher on the First Crusade, both Enguerrand I and his son Thomas joined the march, carrying their feud to Jerusalem and back with mutual hate undiminished.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Now look at that, someone made a Vampire mod. Three different types for you to play and two kingdoms to form!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406897680

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I just decided I was finished with a run playing a pagan Scandinavian empire because it had gotten too easy. We had most of Western Europe and almost all of North Africa.

That was my second game after my first one as Ireland- what are some good countries to play next? I played those games on Easy difficulty and want to move up to Normal.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Noyemi K posted:

I had a great king who was pretty much almost exalted by 20. Loads of Piety (2000) and 980 prestige. Then he died because of illness from an aggravated wound.

That's loving Crusader Kings for you :argh:

I on the other hand had one emperor who lived to the ripe old age of 78 and died peacefully in his sleep despite spending most of his reign fending off independence revolts and having pretty much constant tyrant maluses, survived typhoid fever in his 50's and pneumonia in his 70's, survived and recovered from at least 3 assassination attempts, killed or wounded at least three jealous husbands in duels over his lovers, and was basically hated by everyone including most of the women he was sticking his dick in and his 20+ bastards.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
Has anyone seen Charlemagne form the HRE? In my current game he has all the necessary Kingdoms, but hasn't taken the decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

mornhaven posted:

Has anyone seen Charlemagne form the HRE? In my current game he has all the necessary Kingdoms, but hasn't taken the decision.

He needs 100 relations with the pope and the AI never seems to try to improve pope relations. In my current game I had the same situation, so I just switched over to him, bribed the pope and switched back. He formed the HRE a few days later.

• Locked thread