Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

foxatee posted:

Glob drat you make me angry sometimes. But that's only because I made the same mistakes as you and it took having a kid to realize I gotta get my poo poo together. I can bury myself with stupid financial decisions, but not her. I'll teach her what my parents didn't teach me. You should be thinking the same, and break these bad habits you have right loving now.

Seriously this. Get your poo poo together, kg.

n8r posted:

Pretty sure KGfamily is equally as terrible with their money to the point where they cannot afford to take KG/KGwife out but still expect them to go out. Not sure about the whole not taking a baby out to public places. I think the attitudes toward not exposing your kids to the world/allergens early has been changing. YMMV.

Below 2 mos you have to be careful because anti vaxxers have ruined it for everyone and our herd immunity is falling apart and your baby could get whooping cough and you wouldn't even know it until they just stop breathing.

Also measles and tuberculosis and who knows what else. The Chinese keep the babby home with mom for three months and we're going to have to go back to that if we start getting mumps and poo poo all over the place. (I only know this because a sweet Chinese couple were Very Concerned for my 1 month old--"Too young!"--that was out and about at the mall and they were probably right but I was breastfeeding and needed new glasses, so I couldn't leave him at home.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

n8r posted:

Pretty sure KGfamily is equally as terrible with their money to the point where they cannot afford to take KG/KGwife out but still expect them to go out. Not sure about the whole not taking a baby out to public places. I think the attitudes toward not exposing your kids to the world/allergens early has been changing. YMMV.

Exposing your kid to the world/allergens is totally fine and encouraged, the problem is other people. Public places are also fine as long as lots of people won't be trying to meet and touch the baby. Yes the baby is going to have to get sick from new germs at some point, but below ~2 months something as simple as a fever often ends up with a scary (and costly) hospital visit.

Devious_05
Jul 3, 2007

n8r posted:

Allergens yes i.e. don't over clean your home, but not the world/sick people. Most animals isolates their young for a few weeks/months. Whilst there is a vaccine for whooping cough, its not particularly effective compared to other vaccines. A <1 month old baby died over here in Australia other day from it, very sad stuff.

I also find it very strange that they are being asked out to dinner when they have a newborn. In my circle/family its visit the new parents house and bring dinner, or order pizza etc in.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

n8r posted:

I think the attitudes toward not exposing your kids to the world/allergens early has been changing. YMMV.

Your baby can literally get measles in modern America at a point before they're physically able to receive the vaccine.

You probably won't get it at an Applebees.

Maybe.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
They're only a few hour drive from disney. I wouldn't chance it. The family can come see the baby at the house.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
What the loving gently caress. gently caress.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

There's a difference between allergens and disease.

Almost every pediatrician will say to avoid crowded public places as much as you can for the first few months. Baby's lungs, breathing passages, etc are so small and immature that even a simple run of the mill cold virus can cause a lot of scary issues.

Knyteguy, what are you going to do?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
"We'd love to come out, but with the new baby it's just been so hectic over here, you know? Hey, why don't you all come over for a potluck instead?! I've got some killer home-brewed beer-- I'll set up a tasting and you guys can each bring a dish of whatever you want. Sure, 6:30 sounds good. See you then!"

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Knyteguy posted:

I don't want to say no to family I see maybe once a year?

Don't forget to stuff a twenty into their pockets, you know, for gas and show them how grateful you are that they made the effort to come out.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

At this point I'm assuming he's ignoring everyone and doing whatever he wants anyway.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
That's usually what prolonged silence from KG means.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

That's usually what prolonged silence from KG means.

Or maybe he just had a child and is probably extremely busy and sleep deprived?

April
Jul 3, 2006

Nocheez posted:

You're forgetting, a new child is no big deal, he totally handled a move not too long ago, which is WAY more stressful according to a chart.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Nocheez posted:

This basically. Plus I usually don't post much on the weekends since I spend enough time on the comp as it is during the week.

And I don't really know what to say about the family thing. I already said I was going to go, and we cancelled for the Greek birthday party. The family get together was practically a family reunion. There were about 10 family members that I haven't seen in about 10 years. If it was just 2 or 3 people it would have been different. A pot luck would've been great, but it's not like we were either the planners or the guests of honor or something like that. My family is going to try to do this more, so next time.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Knyteguy posted:

This basically. Plus I usually don't post much on the weekends since I spend enough time on the comp as it is during the week.

And I don't really know what to say about the family thing. I already said I was going to go, and we cancelled for the Greek birthday party. The family get together was practically a family reunion. There were about 10 family members that I haven't seen in about 10 years. If it was just 2 or 3 people it would have been different. A pot luck would've been great, but it's not like we were either the planners or the guests of honor or something like that. My family is going to try to do this more, so next time.

So how much did you spend, and will your discretionary cover it?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

ufsteph posted:

So how much did you spend, and will your discretionary cover it?

~$50 and yes.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

April posted:

You're forgetting, a new child is no big deal, he totally handled a move not too long ago, which is WAY more stressful according to a chart.
:stare: Been hanging on to that for a while, huh?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

~$50 and yes.
Good. As long as it's covered by the budget, who gives a gently caress.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

How's March looking budget wise?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

SiGmA_X posted:

Agreed, poo poo goons you guys are (something) awful.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

I think the issue is that Knyteguy has very aggressive goals (like saving $20,000 for a house) and that's why people get frustrated with him. I agree that if it's in budget it's really not that big of deal, but if he really wants to pay off that atrocious car loan, save money for a house, and give his wife freedom to quit his job he's going to have to make some sacrifices at some point.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I don't care much about his budget as long as he stays with in it - i'm more worried about his baby getting measles or whooping cough from some dickbags who think they know more than doctors.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Bugamol posted:

I think the issue is that Knyteguy has very aggressive goals (like saving $20,000 for a house) and that's why people get frustrated with him. I agree that if it's in budget it's really not that big of deal, but if he really wants to pay off that atrocious car loan, save money for a house, and give his wife freedom to quit his job he's going to have to make some sacrifices at some point.
Good points all around. You have to make decisions about what you want. Money is finite!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

Good points all around. You have to make decisions about what you want. Money is finite!

Agreed. I think perhaps the best way to go about it is what people have been telling me, and that's have a set savings goal (and then a debt payoff) every month no matter what and just stick to that. 25-27% may be realistic with our debt levels right now.

Also quick note the alcohol category will now be gone moving forward. I've decided to abstain for the foreseeable future.

We aren't getting our son vaccinated so no problem anyway i dont want him to get autism

fake edit just playing he already has his first set

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

Agreed. I think perhaps the best way to go about it is what people have been telling me, and that's have a set savings goal (and then a debt payoff) every month no matter what and just stick to that. 25-27% may be realistic with our debt levels right now.

Also quick note the alcohol category will now be gone moving forward. I've decided to abstain for the foreseeable future.

We aren't getting our son vaccinated so no problem anyway i dont want him to get autism

You should have left off the fake edit. Even Cornholio made some great April Fools posts now and then that really fooled some people.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Oh yeah, he "bought" a new car or something, after he looked like he'd gotten things under control, and left the thread for a day or two to let everyone flip out. It was pretty great.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Ah c'mon I've got you guys a couple times.

edit but if you want more... :tutbutt:

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 24, 2015

AbsenceVsThinAir
Jan 29, 2007

Maybe you do not even *smell*? That is sad.

*Smelling* *pretty colors* is the best *game*.

Knyteguy posted:

I was never a big drinker, but after my first son was born I basically stopped buying beer except for special occasions for the simple reason that if any sort of emergency happened, I wouldn't want to think twice about driving or wonder if I'm capable. Or just generally have impaired decision making. We had a couple of hospital scares and not being sober would be a nightmare.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

AbsenceVsThinAir posted:

I was never a big drinker, but after my first son was born I basically stopped buying beer except for special occasions for the simple reason that if any sort of emergency happened, I wouldn't want to think twice about driving or wonder if I'm capable. Or just generally have impaired decision making. We had a couple of hospital scares and not being sober would be a nightmare.

Yea exactly this. I don't want to be inebriated if I'm needed now that we have such a dependent being.

Plus health and finances of course.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

So has KnyteWife gone back to work yet? How is the babysitting situation looking?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

ufsteph posted:

So has KnyteWife gone back to work yet? How is the babysitting situation looking?

Nope not yet. April 6 is her return date (sort of to the detriment of our income right now. $135 net every 2 weeks right now.)

Not sure on the babysitting yet.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Uh.

That's less than two weeks from now.

You should, uh. Get on that, maybe?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Quantum Finger posted:

Uh.

Ehhhhh man, that's TWO WHOLE WEEKS AWAY!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Quantum Finger posted:

Uh.

It's my sister she won't give me a price. I've been badgering her about it; maybe it'll go better if my wife talks to her. The last thing she told me was we pretty much trade sittings. So we'll watch her kid when she has to go back to work (swing) and she watches ours vice versa. That'd be great obviously.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

It's my sister she won't give me a price. I've been badgering her about it; maybe it'll go better if my wife talks to her. The last thing she told me was we pretty much trade sittings. So we'll watch her kid when she has to go back to work (swing) and she watches ours vice versa. That'd be great obviously.

This sounds horrible. So now instead of one baby you'll have two? And when you need to be catching up on sleep? Goodbye free time for the conceivable future I guess.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Bugamol posted:

This sounds horrible. So now instead of one baby you'll have two? And when you need to be catching up on sleep? Goodbye free time for the conceivable future I guess.

His free time is already gone for the conceivable future even with just his own kiddo.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Bugamol posted:

Doubt very much it would be better to pay for it

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Doubt very much it would be better to pay for it

I get nervous about any sort of handshake agreement with family. If it works out for him that's great, but if his sister is in anyway flakey it's going to be 100 times more stressful than using a regular daycare and paying for it.

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

Bugamol posted:

I get nervous about any sort of handshake agreement with family. If it works out for him that's great, but if his sister is in anyway flakey it's going to be 100 times more stressful than using a regular daycare and paying for it.

I had the same feeling, but you articulated it better than I could have.

Just for an off-the-cuff example, what if the sister's situation changes and she no longer needs her baby looked after. Will KG then start paying her? How much? You don't want to negotiate cost when you are now primarily dependent on her to watch your kid.

On one level I get the notion of "hey it's family we'll work it out," but at the same time if you can't work it out, you get hosed over. Such is what family feuds and grudges are made of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Bugamol posted:

I do not think it makes sense to directly jump to paying for child care. Child care is expensive. I say take advantage of the offer for free child care until such time as it becomes a problem.

Though, it would be good to have a plan B and plan C for the inevitable times when the sister gets sick or something comes up or whatever.

• Locked thread