Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Would it be better to go with a 27 inch at 1080p with G-Sync or just on up to the 1440p leagues? I'm running a 970 but may be using Evga's trade up program to go to a 980. My 22 inch 1080p is apparently much to small for me to game on anymore at my advanced age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Mazz posted:

Please do, I was looking at that today and the fact they'll ship free is INCREDIBLY enticing. I know its very much a YMMV situation, but I'd love to hear a review from a goon source.

I ordered on Tuesday morning from Amazon and the monitor got here yesterday morning. I'm actually shooting a video review of this thing today and I'll link it here when I'm done. I'm very pleased with my purchase though.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I finally sucked it up and bought a Qnix QX2710. No dead pixels, no noticable backlight bleed and overclocks to 110hz. I'm in heaven after having used a TN 27" 1080p Samsung panel for the last while.

I can't decide if I like 1440p or the higher refresh rate more. Even Windows feels nicer with higher refresh rate!

Is there any reason to scale back to 96hz other than watching media?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14148298592...9887&rmvSB=true

Really tempted...

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Aaaannnnnddddd pulled the trigger; will report back upon arrival.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I just checked my monitor and it's almost 7 years old now. Guess it's time for an upgrade. Bought.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

AMD Announces Four New FreeSync Monitors

Looks like the 34UM67 should be $650 with a 48-75hz range

Betty
Apr 14, 2008
Its unfortunate that the PCPer article points out that the LG is probably the worst of pack when it comes to FreeSync capabilities because of its narrow 27hz range in which FreeSync actually works. But it is an IPS sooo, pretty colors :shrug:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Wasabi the J posted:

AMD Announces Four New FreeSync Monitors

Looks like the 34UM67 should be $650 with a 48-75hz range
I don't think I've missed anything, so I'm pretty sure Maximum PC is incorrectly listing the Acer XG270HU as an IPS panel when it's really a TN panel. This was only in the picture captions on the bottom, it is correctly TN in the article itself

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So the Amazon reseller posted up the Glossy QX2710 for $260, is it worth pulling the trigger on that over the off-grade Matte one at $230? The room I'm in never gets particularly bright, and my current Samsung 27 is glossy.

Besides the off grade aspect, which given the retailer I can't be guaranteed the 260 won't have possible defects like the 230 can/will.

EDIT: gently caress it, bought the $230, those SE monitors seem to be the ones that don't pass Qnix's own QA, hence why they are always cheaper. Might as well cut $30-50 off the price if I'm rolling the dice anyway.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 21, 2015

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

skylined! posted:

Thats the same monitor I ordered. I'll give you a heads up when mine arrives Tuesday.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Mazz posted:

So the Amazon reseller posted up the Glossy QX2710 for $260, is it worth pulling the trigger on that over the off-grade Matte one at $230? The room I'm in never gets particularly bright, and my current Samsung 27 is glossy.

Besides the off grade aspect, which given the retailer I can't be guaranteed the 260 won't have possible defects like the 230 can/will.

EDIT: gently caress it, bought the $230, those SE monitors seem to be the ones that don't pass Qnix's own QA, hence why they are always cheaper. Might as well cut $30-50 off the price if I'm rolling the dice anyway.

Assuming this is the one you got I think you'll be pleased. I went with the $229 option as well, and other than a little light smudge that I can't see unless the screen is totally black, I can't believe the value for the money. Thank you to the goon a few pages back who was like "I don't know why everybody isn't just taking the Korean option". This is the best upgrade money I've spent in a long time. No dead pixels or other flaws at all. The stand is of course garbage, but the monoprice stand I went with arrives Monday so :megaman:

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.

Godinster posted:

I finally sucked it up and bought a Qnix QX2710. No dead pixels, no noticable backlight bleed and overclocks to 110hz. I'm in heaven after having used a TN 27" 1080p Samsung panel for the last while.

I can't decide if I like 1440p or the higher refresh rate more. Even Windows feels nicer with higher refresh rate!

Is there any reason to scale back to 96hz other than watching media?

I recently built a new PC and figure it's time to upgrade my monitor ( currently using this ) after reading a bit of this thread I'm pretty set on a 27 inch 1440p non-TN panel that ideally has a refresh rate over 60hz. My price range is about $350 +/- and I was torn between picking up a 60hz one now, or waiting until something with a better refresh rate became available. I had no idea you could overclock a monitor, does it shorten the lifespan of the panel at all? What's the risk of failure in overclocking an off-grade, off-brand monitor? The price is certainly tempting, but I'm a bit torn because I know almost nothing about monitors other than what I've read in this thread.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Bought the last $230 monitor too...

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Anarchist posted:

I recently built a new PC and figure it's time to upgrade my monitor ( currently using this ) after reading a bit of this thread I'm pretty set on a 27 inch 1440p non-TN panel that ideally has a refresh rate over 60hz. My price range is about $350 +/- and I was torn between picking up a 60hz one now, or waiting until something with a better refresh rate became available. I had no idea you could overclock a monitor, does it shorten the lifespan of the panel at all? What's the risk of failure in overclocking an off-grade, off-brand monitor? The price is certainly tempting, but I'm a bit torn because I know almost nothing about monitors other than what I've read in this thread.

I've only been looking for the last week or so, but as far as I can tell it works out like this:

The overclocking is almost singularly a trait of the Korean specials, mainly the Qnix or X-STAR ones mentioned a lot here. It's seems to be a trait of being a very simplistic design using a good Samsung panel. It's barely advertised except in some of the more recent postings.

Basically, you get a 2nd rate panel from a ~$700 Samsung for ~300, or even as low as 230 for monitors that might have defects like dead pixels or visible panel marks (in a lot of cases, these defects seem to be barely noticeable except under perfect conditions, given the pixel count of 1440p). You're not getting a super nice stand and take a couple risks you wouldn't with the legit $600 products.

The fact is though it's by far the best screen you'll get for anything south of $350 unless you find an incredible deal. As for panel damage, that's kinda hard to estimate (YMMV) but people have been doing this for several years now and there's no real evidence to suggest that, especially if you stay at like 96hz instead of pushing past 110.

As said though, my experience is limited compared to a lot of people who regular this thread, so they might have more to add/correct. I'd also recommend skimming that overclocker thread about the Q2710 and even doing some general googling so you get a better idea of what you're looking at.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 22, 2015

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-079-DE

Is there any reason not to buy this monitor?

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.

Mazz posted:

I've only been looking for the last week or so, but as far as I can tell it works out like this:

The overclocking is almost singularly a trait of the Korean specials, mainly the Qnix or X-STAR ones mentioned a lot here. It's seems to be a trait of being a very simplistic design using a good Samsung panel. It's barely advertised except in some of the more recent postings.

Basically, you get a 2nd rate panel from a ~$700 Samsung for ~300, or even as low as 230 for monitors that might have defects like dead pixels or visible panel marks (in a lot of cases, these defects seem to be barely noticeable except under perfect conditions, given the pixel count of 1440p). You're not getting a super nice stand and take a couple risks you wouldn't with the legit $600 products.

The fact is though it's by far the best screen you'll get for anything south of $350 unless you find an incredible deal. As for panel damage, that's kinda hard to estimate (YMMV) but people have been doing this for several years now and there's no real evidence to suggest that, especially if you stay at like 96hz instead of pushing past 110.

As said though, my experience is limited compared to a lot of people who regular this thread, so they might have more to add/correct. I'd also recommend skimming that overclocker thread about the Q2710 and even doing some general googling so you get a better idea of what you're looking at.

I think I'm going to grab the $230 one and the $20 stand from monoprice, the $100 price drop is worth it for some relatively minor flaws that may not even be noticeable . I had no idea the price gap was that significant between these and their Samsung equivalents, thanks.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Anarchist posted:

I think I'm going to grab the $230 one and the $20 stand from monoprice, the $100 price drop is worth it for some relatively minor flaws that may not even be noticeable . I had no idea the price gap was that significant between these and their Samsung equivalents, thanks.

Yeah, from looking the only Samsung 27" PLS 2560x1440 monitors you'll find are the 850 series, which start at ~$550.

To be fair, you can find some comparable Acer or BenQ for closer to 350-400 (there was an Acer for $300 on Newegg this week that looked to be a good deal), but you'll be stuck at 60hz (with a guaranteed panel though).

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 22, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The HP Envy 32" I got is 1440p for $399. It's only 60hz but it's a pretty drat nice monitor.

NurSpec
May 6, 2007

Win or lose,
just keep on trying!

GreenNight posted:

The HP Envy 32" I got is 1440p for $399. It's only 60hz but it's a pretty drat nice monitor.

Yeah I just bought that one too. Glad to hear it's a good one, it looks like it'll fit my needs well.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

GreenNight posted:

I've got one too and its worth every bit of $400.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Pulled the trigger on the $230 QX2710 - here's to hoping it isn't too messed up!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Coredump posted:

I've got one too and its worth every bit of $400.

Plus you get $12 back if you use eBates.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Pulled the trigger on the $230 QX2710 - here's to hoping it isn't too messed up!

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
I'm asking since I haven't followed this thread in years and the OP is outdated. Given that I have a Dell U2312hm, what is a good recommendation for a 1440p monitor with comparable picture quality for general use (also, is IPS still the tech to go vs. TN or is there something new)? All I saw on the Dell website were 1080p or full-out 4k which I'm not willing to get.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

skylined! posted:

Mine came in today. It was basically brand new with no signs of use. The only thing that I can tell was used was the power brick. Mine came with no dead pixels or black light bleed!

Edit: The TopSync monitors do not overclock. I just tried. After some research, I found out that they don't have the PLS panel like the QNIX does. But it's still an IPS type. It's the same panel used in Apple displays. I can't complain that it doesn't overclock for the price. I was expecting a used monitor with some bad back light bleeding / dead pixels and didn't get any.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 24, 2015

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

DammitJanet posted:

Shipping is $11.63 to where I am, and user reviews say it'll take a 27" no problem. If I have to raise the stand to make portrait mode work, I certainly can. Thanks!

Edit: Got 14% off ($2.38) as well using code "MPi314" at checkout. Expires today. Not bad for $26.24 altogether. I'll report back on whether it rocks/sucks.

How did you like the VESA mount off Monoprice? The only thing I don't like about the cheapo korean monitor is the stand. I'm used to my ultrasharp Dell monitor stands. How does the Vesa mount stand with the 27" monitors?

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 24, 2015

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Rabid Snake posted:

Mine came in today. It was basically brand new with no signs of use. The only thing that I can tell was used was the power brick. Mine came with no dead pixels or black light bleed!

Edit: The TopSync monitors do not overclock. I just tried. After some research, I found out that they don't have the PLS panel like the QNIX does. But it's still an IPS type. It's the same panel used in Apple displays. I can't complain that it doesn't overclock for the price. I was expecting a used monitor with some bad back light bleeding / dead pixels and didn't get any.

Mine is shipped and should be in Atlanta (from Compton, CA, as of yesterday) by Friday, according to KW international shipping (wut). Excited - I have a Dell ST2412L 24" with a TN panel I bought for over $200 several years ago, and I like the picture on it; can't imagine what an IPS 27" QHD is going to be like.

I knew about no overclocking going into it, but if my luck with overclocking anything is sustained this is probably a good thing.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

skylined! posted:

Mine is shipped and should be in Atlanta (from Compton, CA, as of yesterday) by Friday, according to KW international shipping (wut). Excited - I have a Dell ST2412L 24" with a TN panel I bought for over $200 several years ago, and I like the picture on it; can't imagine what an IPS 27" QHD is going to be like.

I knew about no overclocking going into it, but if my luck with overclocking anything is sustained this is probably a good thing.

Yeah the shipping tracker was kind of suspect, but they used UPS. I don't know why they don't give you the UPS tracking number.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

skylined! posted:

FYI i ordered two because of that discussion...thanks guys cant wait to get them!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
My Qnix 2710 arrived today. I bought it on Saturday and the shipping was free. I live in Chicago. What.

TRIP REPORT:

:dance:

The panel is nearly flawless. The defects are 3 faint yellow marks when the screen is pitch black, but they are comparable to a smudge smaller the size of that dance smiley, and you really have to be looking for them to notice and/or care. Not much black light bleed at all, and for my purposes the stand isn't even bad since I just need it to hold the thing up on the desk. It's honestly better then the one on my Samsung 27" TN, which didn't even have downward tilt.

I opened up NvCP and set a custom resolution for 96hz, works beautifully. Tried 120 but there were artifacts (which I expected).

It's kind of insane how poor my Samsung 27" TN is in comparison too, since they were roughly the same price and I bought it not too long ago. Thankfully I have someone willing to give me 80% of what I paid for it. I'd keep it for my second monitor but I don't have the desk space haha.

Only downside I can see is they dropped the price by $5 on Amazon but I'm just justifying that in my head by assuming the panel quality is lower :smug:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 25, 2015

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Rabid Snake posted:

How did you like the VESA mount off Monoprice? The only thing I don't like about the cheapo korean monitor is the stand. I'm used to my ultrasharp Dell monitor stands. How does the Vesa mount stand with the 27" monitors?

It's loving awesome! Definitely get one. Every part is made of metal, and it's fairly easy to assemble. You adjust the tightness of the ball joint with an allen wrench and three screws, which I can't really complain about for the price, but it can be tedious trying to get it set right for tilting in every single direction (including rotating 90 degrees to better suit Pinball Arcade, which you should all be playing btw). But yeah, it's exactly what I wanted for this monitor and suits it perfectly.

Though while we're talking the QX2710 for a second, one of the screws in the stem was stuck, and the phillips thread wore off like it was made of cheesecake, so I kind of had to wiggle the stem until the goddamn thing came off. Thankfully the monitor casing didn't break. I decided to keep the stock bezel, but I'm going to cover it in black gaff tape to get rid of the reflective qualities before I put it back on.

Edit: Wow, gaff tape for the win. What a massive difference that made. Highly recommended! I even slid a bit of receipt paper over the activity LED as it was a bit too bright and distracting while gaming.

DammitJanet fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 25, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Mazz posted:

My Qnix 2710 arrived today. I bought it on Saturday and the shipping was free. I live in Chicago. What.

TRIP REPORT:

:dance:

One update, after it got a bit darker outside I was able to get a better idea of any black light bleed, and I do have a little on the lower right side. Not enough to really be worth popping it open though. Still absolutely worth the price.

jaik3n
Sep 18, 2009
Has anyone tried the Acer B286HK?

I know it's a TN panel, but If I go with TN over IPS, I can save nearly 200$

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

I got my QNIX today today too, small smudge of discoloration on darker colors and very minimal light bleed, absolutely worth the price and the condition is exactly what I expected. I've never seen that kind of discoloration in a monitor before, anybody have any idea what causes it? The only complaint i have is with the power cable and the really crappy adapter that included with it. I just switched that section out for a normal monitor cable and haven't run into any problems yet. I wish I ordered the vesa mount stand same time as the monitor, they would have most likely arrived together. The stand it came with is worse than I expected, it actually wobbles as I type and while this was a low priced screen I'd rather not have to replace it because the stand caught a breeze and tipped over.

I was able to OC it to 96hz no problem, at 110hz the picture quality dropped and there was substantial ghosting, anything above that just glitched out all over the place. If potentially hitting 120hz there might be a bit more leeway in the $320 version but that is just speculation. I'm 100% satisfied with this monitor for the price and would suggest it to anybody in the market to upgrade that is comfortable with the potential for a few blemishes and a bare bones product.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

jaik3n posted:

Has anyone tried the Acer B286HK?

I know it's a TN panel, but If I go with TN over IPS, I can save nearly 200$

Might come down to what your purposes of use are. It's a 4k monitor, but 16.7mil colors. Great response time, but not everything can run at 4k - and it's still 60hz stock refresh rate. Can your gpu handle 4k without washout or screen flicker? Lots of weird reviews on Newegg re: all sorts of issues with the display.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

QNIX purchaser #4912312 reporting in: I love it. A few pixels look stuck/dead (might try that video that attempts to loosen them later tonight). Disappointed the speakers are too lovely to think about using (very, VERY tinny sound) but that's to be expected. Seconding that sentiment about ordering a VESA mount when I ordered the monitor - getting that same exact wobbling when I type at my peak speeds - and am trying to pick one out now. Highly recommended if you're willing to gamble on the admittedly QA and want a cheap, hopefully quality 1440p display.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
The QNIX 2710 is goddamn beautiful after using Colour Sustainer and a good colour profile that matches the refresh rate.

Thanks thread for suggesting it!

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

UPS said they'd try to deliver my Qnix again tomorrow. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Any tips on if Color Sustainer doesn't show any monitors detected? QNIX2710, AMD 7970, Win8.1, running as admin, hitting detect button, nothing shows in the box. I tried some googling but wasn't able to turn anything up.