Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fart simpson posted:

they are good but they dont taste like "chemicals" they just taste like vinegar

i'm p sure vinegar is in fact made up of chemicals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
pretty sure that most people's retarded transit complaints are always blown entirely out of proportion and scale. like, one time dude was eating some smelly chips == omg the bus ALWAYS smells like salt and vinegar chips I hate it so much I have to drive.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i take transit every day dog

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

fart simpson posted:

they are good but they dont taste like "chemicals" they just taste like vinegar

it's called creative license

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

pretty sure that most people's retarded transit complaints are always blown entirely out of proportion and scale. like, one time dude was eating some smelly chips == omg the bus ALWAYS smells like salt and vinegar chips I hate it so much I have to drive.

except for women because holy poo poo the things that happen to women on public transit

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

THC posted:

i take transit every day dog

and your biggest pet peeve is smelly chips. how often are there really smelly chips on the bus. like, 1 ride out of 100?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

duTrieux. posted:

except for women because holy poo poo the things that happen to women on public transit

it's the law in Japan that cell phones make the shutter noise so people stop taking upskirts (which my phone corrected to "yos jorts") on trains

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Luigi Thirty posted:

it's the law in Japan that cell phones make the shutter noise so people stop taking upskirts (which my phone corrected to "yos jorts") on trains

if the documentaries ive watched can be trusted upskirts are the least of their problems

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
eat salmiak if you want delicious chemical-flavored snacks

eat it on the bus and offer some to strangers

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

look at this heinous bullshit
https://www.pomello.com/
culture fit as a service

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

and your biggest pet peeve is smelly chips. how often are there really smelly chips on the bus. like, 1 ride out of 100?
coworkers are munching on them all the time. it's just rude. go in the kitchen at least

its more of a general peeve and im hoping people will realize it's rude and correct their behaviour

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

culture fit as a service

make it look like the back of a vintage transformers box and I'm sold

seriously though if I got told to fill out a personality survey as a candidate I'd be pretty offended

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

culture fit as a service

that's cool as hell

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh, does it work on a personality test or on collected advertising data cause the later would be ownage.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

we quantitatively assess culture fit by evaluating factors such as numbers of x chromosomes, amount of melanin, and number of times the letters S, T, A, N, F, O, R, and D appear on your degree

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pinterest Mom posted:

culture fit as a service

yes!

now we can finally quantify the value of being a straight white male who went to an appropriate university

we can, with mathimagical certainty, prove that women are not an appropriate fit for executive level positions in our tech firms

you can't argue with science

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

we quantitatively assess culture fit by evaluating factors such as numbers of x chromosomes, amount of melanin, and number of times the letters S, T, A, N, F, O, R, and D appear on your degree

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Citizen Tayne posted:

vinegar is a chemical bitch

so are potatoes

qed

:fishmech:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

when commuting you encounter a cast of regulars

when i rode marta there was a bald guy who took 30 minutes every day to dry his ring of hair and ponytail. now on muni there's "old asian guy who's pissed off at everything," "guy taking his daughter to school," etc.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pinterest Mom posted:

culture fit as a service

"No IT Required"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Pinterest Mom posted:

culture fit as a service

lol. lack of diversity as a service.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we'd like to offer you a management position but the software indicates you have an insufficient amount of penis

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

JawnV6 posted:

when i rode marta there was a bald guy who took 30 minutes every day to dry his ring of hair and ponytail. now on muni there's "old asian guy who's pissed off at everything," "guy taking his daughter to school," etc.

if you live in a big enough city then the cast of regulars is too big and varied to remember much though. there's probably over two thousand people that take the same buses to and from work as i do, to and from the same stops, around the same time

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

okcupid for the enterprise

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

some tech journalist reviewed the tech bubble bus service, and the results are cringe-worthy

i'm just gonna quote twitter

these vile, egocentric, ignorant cretins piss me off. totally oblivious that only by the grace of god are they holding a smartphone and not an ebt card. these people have no concept of society, their civic duties, or their obligation to their fellow man. how has our education system failed us to such a degree as to allow for this kind of thinking to flourish among our most gifted?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Pinterest Mom posted:

bool getCultureFit(Candidate c) {
return c.isMale() || (c.getHotness() >= 8.0 && c.putsOut());
}

there, where's my first round funding

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the thinking flourishes specifically because they are "gifted" and lack any capacity of critical thought or introspection

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shaggar posted:

oh, does it work on a personality test or on collected advertising data cause the later would be ownage.

personality test. its basically the test big box supermarkets make applicants take, except they disrupt the results with buzzwords and infographics

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

JawnV6 posted:

when i rode marta there was a bald guy who took 30 minutes every day to dry his ring of hair and ponytail. now on muni there's "old asian guy who's pissed off at everything," "guy taking his daughter to school,", "yosposter that stares at everyone, judging them" etc.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

personality test. its basically the test big box supermarkets make applicants take, except they disrupt the results with buzzwords and infographics

oh that's boring

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Smythe posted:

these vile, egocentric, ignorant cretins piss me off. totally oblivious that only by the grace of god are they holding a smartphone and not an ebt card. these people have no concept of society, their civic duties, or their obligation to their fellow man. how has our education system failed us to such a degree as to allow for this kind of thinking to flourish among our most gifted?
tell everyone they're special for 20 years and the ones that make it actually believe it

american culture deifies special individuals and "winners" whether or not they deserve success or just got lucky is irrelevant

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Smythe posted:

these ppl tend to be heavy on privilege and light on actual gifts tbh although unfortunately a lot of genuinely talented coders are also loving terrible people (c.f. John Carmack)

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Smythe posted:

decline of the west

do you realize that the speaker of the house now communicates to the public using animated gifs?

http://www.speaker.gov/general/12-taylor-swift-reactions-president-obamas-free-college-idea

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shaggar posted:

oh that's boring

lol did you expect innovation or something? its an "x, but with computers" company hoping to cash in on the stupidity of others

quote:

How Does It Work?

We measure culture fit by asking current employees and job candidates to take a short online exercise. The exercise takes just 5-10 minutes to complete. It’s hard to game as there are no clear right or wrong answers. It’s also designed to avoid human biases, and do not discriminate against protected applicant classes.

quote:

I like the interactive graphs a lot. They make it much easier to compare our candidates to the current team culture.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Nagato posted:

decline of the west

do you realize that the speaker of the house now communicates to the public using animated gifs?

http://www.speaker.gov/general/12-taylor-swift-reactions-president-obamas-free-college-idea

this is in the form of buzzfeed articles, basically verbatim. its just a marketing thing.

idk if you're aware of this and im :thejoke: -ing here hard or smth but...

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Main Paineframe posted:

lol did you expect innovation or something? its an "x, but with computers" company hoping to cash in on the stupidity of others

quote:

I like the interactive graphs a lot. They make it much easier to compare our candidates skin tone to the current team paint chart.

Disrupting employment law

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
well yeah... i guess its justifiable from some kind of marketing perspective. society is still becoming postliterate. why even bother thinking about the repercussions of your bourgeoise bus

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
to make some sort of attempt at a serious answer:

america is obsessed with fighting and winning. everybody has to be a winner, and if you're not constantly reaffirming that you're a winner then that makes you a loser and therefore human garbage. even though, you know, there's only room for a small minority at the top, by definition. which is probably why racism is such an ingrained part of american society: it's a coping mechanism that tells the majority they're not total losers by virtue of something they conveniently never had to work for, nor can they ever even have taken away from them. yeah i'm a morbidly obese balding 40 year old man with a tiny dick and a failed marriage living in some southern hellhole, but at least i'm not a friend of the family

it would explain why everything that's hosed up about the us always seem to boil down to racism in some way or other

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mr Dog posted:

to make some sort of attempt at a serious answer:

america is obsessed with fighting and winning. everybody has to be a winner, and if you're not constantly reaffirming that you're a winner then that makes you a loser and therefore human garbage. even though, you know, there's only room for a small minority at the top, by definition. which is probably why racism is such an ingrained part of american society: it's a coping mechanism that tells the majority they're not total losers by virtue of something they conveniently never had to work for, nor can they ever even have taken away from them. yeah i'm a morbidly obese balding 40 year old man with a tiny dick and a failed marriage living in some southern hellhole, but at least i'm not a friend of the family

it would explain why everything that's hosed up about the us always seem to boil down to racism in some way or other

you see this mindset everywhere, watch how people drive. gotta win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im an american who started out with incredible privilege but i would never write a trashy article like that twitter review of the boughy bus and im not trying to self aggrandize here - i think (just imo) thats its the role of primary school educators and parents to ingrain a sense of compassion into their children and pupils and i'd like to think that my parents and schools succeeded in that. teaching that with privilege comes a responsibility to give back to the society which has given you so much already, and not to greedily horde luxury and joy for oneself like the trashcans on the $6 bus seem to eager to do. how about spending that money to upgrade public infrastructure so that all people of the city can enjoy a more pleasant commute? just ruminating here i guess and im sorry for the derail

• Locked thread