Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Why was the perfect bioandroid who was engineered for perfection and is perfect given a big dumb biomechanical hat? Like it makes sense for first form cell cause he's kinda a bug guy but why does perfect Cell need a heatsink on his head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Why was the perfect bioandroid who was engineered for perfection and is perfect given a big dumb biomechanical hat? Like it makes sense for first form cell cause he's kinda a bug guy but why does perfect Cell need a heatsink on his head?

Bugpope.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Because in order to be truly perfect you must become Gundam

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The two villains that I thought were genuinely creepy were Cell and, oddly enough, Fat Buu. I think it was because how they interacted with the muggle population that was hopeless to do anything about them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

projecthalaxy posted:

It's to absorb the perfect rays from the sun and convert them into pure perfection energy. I mean, duh.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Pureauthor posted:

Piccolo was hardly heroic at that point

5-year old me disagrees with you, Piccolo was stronger than Goku and just wanted to give everyone else a fair chance.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I hope Kuriza appears in Resurrection of F

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Power levels are not bullshit. Every single battle that power levels were considered turned out the way they were supposed to. Radditz was stronger than Goku and Piccolo, until Piccolo charged up and became stronger, then killed Radditz. Nappa had a much higher power level than any of the non-Gokus, and he crushed then all. Ad infinitum. The most bullshit thing about 'power levels', but mostly the writing itself, is the crazy jumps Goku and to a lesser extent Vegeta made against Freeza. The power levels themselves were pretty consistent.

I still think it would have been cool if power levels continued to be a thing past Freeza. That neat little hierarchy thing the Saiyan and Freeza sagas had was lost on the later arcs, when more nebulous versions of 'oh he's stronger than me' was the MO.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
In the sense that higher numbers beat lower numbers yes, but they really fail as a scale when dying a couple of times at one point times your power level by a thousand.

It'd work a lot better if the numbers were way lower and the jumps more consistent.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

facebook jihad posted:

Power levels are not bullshit. Every single battle that power levels were considered turned out the way they were supposed to. Radditz was stronger than Goku and Piccolo, until Piccolo charged up and became stronger, then killed Radditz. Nappa had a much higher power level than any of the non-Gokus, and he crushed then all. Ad infinitum. The most bullshit thing about 'power levels', but mostly the writing itself, is the crazy jumps Goku and to a lesser extent Vegeta made against Freeza. The power levels themselves were pretty consistent.

I still think it would have been cool if power levels continued to be a thing past Freeza. That neat little hierarchy thing the Saiyan and Freeza sagas had was lost on the later arcs, when more nebulous versions of 'oh he's stronger than me' was the MO.

Yes the numbers that are constantly given insane, illogical boosts to overcome the opponent's massively higher levels accurately predict everything.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'm just glad my calculator doesn't explode every time I multiply a really high number. They should really complain to the manufacturer, that's a huge safety hazard. How did Frieza even get an accurate read of his own power?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

New Leaf posted:

I'm just glad my calculator doesn't explode every time I multiply a really high number. They should really complain to the manufacturer, that's a huge safety hazard. How did Frieza even get an accurate read of his own power?

Maybe he couldn't. After all he just said his power at form2 was 'over a million.'

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
You're talking as if Freeza didn't intentionally design the scouters to be dangerous as hell.

"Oh I'm sorry, did my flexing cause your ear to get blown off? Ha! Maybe next time you'll park the ship a little more gently."

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I dunno, maybe the scouter explosions are a safety feature?

When someone starts powering up crazy fast you might have a deer in headlights reaction, staring at those numbers on your scouter flipping by and adding another zero every other second. So the scouter explodes as a "Holy gently caress run you idiot!" signal.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Frieza could have made them safer, but it was only the low-level minions being hurt by the explosions and it probably would've cost like ten extra spacebucks per unit to make them not explode. Guess which option he chose.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Frieza could have made them safer, but it was only the low-level minions being hurt by the explosions and it probably would've cost like ten extra spacebucks per unit to make them not explode. Guess which option he chose.

Revival of F ends with Frieza starting his own company to run the Briefs out of business. The next movie is Adult Trunks and Frieza battling for market share.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

There are a lot of ways to make a villain intimidating. One way is to make him very tall.

In this case, bug pope hat.

Yamcha's pretty strong. He almost killed a saibaman once.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I could beat up Yamcha.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

I could beat up Yamcha.

I believe you.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

I could beat up Yamcha.

I wish I could be like Yamacha and destroy a seated row machine just by pulling at it hard.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yes the numbers that are constantly given insane, illogical boosts to overcome the opponent's massively higher levels accurately predict everything.

This only happened against Freeza, as I mentioned. Everything else was either explained (kaioken, zenkais) or reflected through the numbers displayed (Piccolo/Goku vs Radditz).

Honestly I don't really give a poo poo about power levels outside of them being a fun way to compare characters' strengths in different sagas. The misplaced power levels are bullshit meme is just getting hella tiring itt.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yamcha is strong enough by the Saiyan saga he could probably singlehandedly win a war against the entire non-DBZ cast Earth.

By the Android saga he is absolutely that strong.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

ImpAtom posted:

Yamcha is strong enough by the Saiyan saga he could probably singlehandedly win a war against the entire non-DBZ cast Earth.

By the Android saga he is absolutely that strong.

I realize it's just a show. But how is he possibly that strong, and so few other people on the planet can attain that level of power? Seemingly nobody before this crew has attained this level of power on Earth, Roshi has been manipulating ki for dozens and dozens of years. Why wasn't he stronger? Or the Crane school, for that matter? They trained like mad too.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

New Leaf posted:

I realize it's just a show. But how is he possibly that strong, and so few other people on the planet can attain that level of power? Seemingly nobody before this crew has attained this level of power on Earth, Roshi has been manipulating ki for dozens and dozens of years. Why wasn't he stronger? Or the Crane school, for that matter? They trained like mad too.

Consider that the ability Roshi has to significantly pump himself up for and is a big deal when he finally uses it, Yamcha can do with relative ease.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Catchup training is a lot more effective than "I'm already the strongest" training

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

New Leaf posted:

all I know is that Nappa absolutely poo poo on jets and stuff and Yamcha is way stronger than that by the cells saga

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

New Leaf posted:

He got special training from God and later Super God.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

New Leaf posted:

It's a theme that you can train up to a level if you know that a higher level of power is possible, whereas if you don't it's a lot harder.

Forgetting how rare ki manipulation is, just ki power is incredibly uncommon. The saiyans weren't full of poo poo when they claimed to be the best warriors in the universe, the only people on par with them either use active ki manipulation (Namekians and Humans and co), are weirdo mutants (Freeza and his dudes), created beings (Androids, Buu) or are literal gods (Kais, Beerus).

ImpAtom posted:

And in the new movie, Ultra Super God and Ultra Super God's Boss will train Goku.

Eonwe posted:

all I know is that Nappa absolutely poo poo on jets and stuff and Yamcha is way stronger than that by the cells saga

Goku annihilates an entire amry single handedly when he's like 15 and Yamucha is stronger than that by the end of Dragonball, for sure.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 23, 2015

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

King Kai didn't teach them poo poo.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

drrockso20 posted:

Also a B-plot where Trunks uses a wish to bring Nappa back to life as well after overhearing Vegeta expressing some regret for blowing him up one night after getting drunk, and now Vegeta and Nappa have some middle aged men adventures(with explosions)

:buddy: Hey Vegeta! Vegeta! Vegeta! Vegeta? Vegeta? Vegeta? Vege-
:argh: GODDAMMIT NAPPA, WHAT?!
:buddy: ...Wanna go drive cars?

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Scouters exploding was a safety measure. If you're in a fight and your scouter explodes that means you need to get the hell out of there and pray Freeza sends the Ginyu Force in.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rhonne posted:

King Kai didn't teach them poo poo.

King Kai didn't seem to teach piccolo poo poo tho, for reals

he immediately catches bubbles, floats around legs crossed meditating and thats really it as far as I remember

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

10 times gravity does stuff to ya.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What's with weird sound when Cell walks? It makes me think of squeaky dry sponges.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

YggiDee posted:

What's with weird sound when Cell walks? It makes me think of squeaky dry sponges.

I dunno I think this sounds pretty badass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uoQicKTZdg

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

facebook jihad posted:

This only happened against Freeza, as I mentioned. Everything else was either explained (kaioken, zenkais) or reflected through the numbers displayed (Piccolo/Goku vs Radditz).

Honestly I don't really give a poo poo about power levels outside of them being a fun way to compare characters' strengths in different sagas. The misplaced power levels are bullshit meme is just getting hella tiring itt.

How do you not see zenkais, Piccolo fusing, the other fusions, or even Super Saiyan itself, as plot-convenient excuses to make the characters strong enough to fight their opponent? This isn't stuff Toriyama plugged into a calculator and said "Hmm yes, now Goku's numbers are high enough." You can say the meme is tiresome, but not as much as when someone asks if Character X could beat Character Y and someone says "Let me break out my charts..."

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

It's a theme that you can train up to a level if you know that a higher level of power is possible, whereas if you don't it's a lot harder.

Forgetting how rare ki manipulation is, just ki power is incredibly uncommon. The saiyans weren't full of poo poo when they claimed to be the best warriors in the universe, the only people on par with them either use active ki manipulation (Namekians and Humans and co), are weirdo mutants (Freeza and his dudes), created beings (Androids, Buu) or are literal gods (Kais, Beerus).

And in the new movie, Ultra Super God and Ultra Super God's Boss will train Goku.

Goku annihilates an entire amry single handedly when he's like 15 and Yamucha is stronger than that by the end of Dragonball, for sure.

Based on the fact that there was nothing special about Krillin when he started being trained by Roshi, it seems anyone who receives the proper training can be taught to use Ki. It's not the ability that's rare, it's the number of people willing to train others.

This is backed up by the backstory of Dragonball Online, where Gohan publishes the secrets of Ki usage and Krillin/Tien open up new Turtle/Crane schools on top of Trunks & Goten opening a swordsmanship academy. This results in the existence of a large number of player character humans.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
The way I determine whether or not I won a game of Magic is that at the very climax of the game, I quantify all the aspects of the game together (health, tempo, card advantage, board state, etc) and at that moment of victory my number is higher than my opponents. Clearly my power is maximum.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I always figure power levels have some weird curve as the numbers go up, to make stronger people look even stronger. Like, 10 is about twice as powerful as 5, but 1,000,000 isn't literally twice as powerful as 500,000. Super Saiyan Goku's 150,000,000 isn't seriously like 300,000 times more powerful than start-of-DBZ's 416 Goku. The numbers are significant jumps, but they get more and more meaningless as you go up. Zenkais don't start giving exponential boosts or something, and Piccolo fusing with Nail or Kami doesn't do that either. They get significant increases, but the individual numbers mean less and less. At the end of DBZ, a capable scouter might read Vegito as like 10e111, and it would be completely pointless to use that as any sort of guide without knowing the curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Kurui Reiten posted:

I always figure power levels have some weird curve as the numbers go up, to make stronger people look even stronger. Like, 10 is about twice as powerful as 5, but 1,000,000 isn't literally twice as powerful as 500,000. Super Saiyan Goku's 150,000,000 isn't seriously like 300,000 times more powerful than start-of-DBZ's 416 Goku. The numbers are significant jumps, but they get more and more meaningless as you go up. Zenkais don't start giving exponential boosts or something, and Piccolo fusing with Nail or Kami doesn't do that either. They get significant increases, but the individual numbers mean less and less. At the end of DBZ, a capable scouter might read Vegito as like 10e111, and it would be completely pointless to use that as any sort of guide without knowing the curve.
Yeah the funny part about the type of people who tend to try to be math nerdy about stuff like power levels is that they tend to not get math to the extent that they neglect to actually attack the problem using different mathematical systems and ways of looking at numbers. Power levels are very clearly not linear.

• Locked thread