Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Reading this page is a unnerving as stepping on a landmine. What's gonna happen next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Things that could happen:
1. Anthony explains he couldn't allow make-up in his classes for safety reasons, and that it's important for Antimony to walk out of her mother's shadow and be her own person. He ran out of textbooks so he couldn't give her one. Everything is good, and nice, forever.
2. Anthony confronts Annie over her cheating and copying from Kat, keeping his strict teacher attitude. Annie takes up the gauntlet and resolves to excel in his classes in search of parental recognition. She ultimately finds what she wants and discovers her true calling, biochemistry. Gunnerkrigg Court ends with her receiving a Nobel prize.
3. Anthony confronts Annie over the ether surgery. He fucks it up in defiance of Annie's optimism in this page and all sides walk out of it having achieved nothing but piss the other side off. There are lots of tears and sad feelings.

I'm banking on #2.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
Actually, my new short-term prediction is that we'll cut to Kat's perspective.

Why go halfway when you can go full troll on us :getin: Plus it would be a good chance for reaction shots from the class.

E: Actually, I just realized why he didn't give her a text. He's knows or suspects the cheating, so he'll be teaching her from a separate text. Seems like his sort of solution.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 23, 2015

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

YF-23 posted:

Things that could happen:
1. Anthony explains he couldn't allow make-up in his classes for safety reasons, and that it's important for Antimony to walk out of her mother's shadow and be her own person. He ran out of textbooks so he couldn't give her one. Everything is good, and nice, forever.
2. Anthony confronts Annie over her cheating and copying from Kat, keeping his strict teacher attitude. Annie takes up the gauntlet and resolves to excel in his classes in search of parental recognition. She ultimately finds what she wants and discovers her true calling, biochemistry. Gunnerkrigg Court ends with her receiving a Nobel prize.
3. Anthony confronts Annie over the ether surgery. He fucks it up in defiance of Annie's optimism in this page and all sides walk out of it having achieved nothing but piss the other side off. There are lots of tears and sad feelings.

I'm banking on #2.

#4: anthony demands control over every aspect of her lifestyle because he's both a control freak and a complete douche

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Hodgepodge posted:

Why go halfway when you can go full troll on us :getin: Plus it would be a good chance for reaction shots from the class.
If this happens I'm going to hold you accountable. :colbert:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Itzena posted:

If this happens I'm going to hold you accountable. :colbert:

The page is already written but remains unseen... this is now a Schrodinger's cat situation: has your prediction caused the probabilities to solidify into one particular outcome?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
5. Anthony recommences bone spear surgery on the spot.

Why the hell are people letting this guy be alone in a lab with Antimony?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

Oh god, you're right. That's exactly what these last two panels are leading to: Kat waiting out in the hallway, Annie coming out, and being unwilling to talk about what happened in any detail.

This chapter is just designed to be the most painful thing imaginable.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Pistol_Pete posted:

The page is already written but remains unseen... this is now a Schrodinger's cat situation: has your prediction caused the probabilities to solidify into one particular outcome?

Technically the answer is already determinable with sufficient information, but statistical mechanics tells us that we may treat the quantum and mechanical cases similarly in order to make predictions to a finite level of certainty with limited information at the latter scale.

Schrodinger's Kat.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
This whole section is weird as gently caress. This page particularly.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
Going supersonic for 50 minutes (or 40 in the case of the Court's classes, I guess) on notes for a pissy professor?

I know that feel, guys.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Ultimate 'Oh nooooo' option: Anthony is all smiles and hugs and tells her how proud he is of her for not exploding in a torrent of emotions, and encourages her to be more stoic, to suppress the fire elemental side of Annie's soul.

This was all a jerk-rear end test.

Probably we'll cut to Kat, though.

Oh how I long to get to the page where Reynardine, Jimmy-Jims, and the Donlans find out about Mr. Carter's new job.

Does anyone else feel that Kat has been more of a protagonist than Annie for the last year or so? She's gotten more character development than Annie during that time, IMO. Looks like the balance is shifting Annie's way again, however, especially with this chapter.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The only thing that hints towards something good happening in the next panel is that you don't ever really see his right hand. I can only hope he's clinching a fist the way he did as a kid and Annie did when she was trying to hide how stressed out they were. It's the closest thing to a hint so far that he might be uncomfortable with his situation.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Anthony will just put his hat on and reveal he was Pasqualo Trianglini's dad all along.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
6: He asks her what all this nonsense is about her going into the forest on a regular basis and almost getting killed by a demented wolf god. Probably tells her she can't be the forest's medium anymore, maybe says something about it being the "wrong side", and maybe she gets mad and finally sees he is a tosser.

7: He asks her for money, he hasn't eaten in so long, and he had to take the teaching job so he could make ends meet. He had invested a lot of money in some bone headed experiment and the blow back from its failure was like a suckerpunch to the face.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
8. Full Zalgo

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Anthony's plan: he has heard that Annie thinks he is a good guy. He just wants to correct this misunderstanding.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Alright, Anthony, you got through a whole page without doing anything pointlessly cruel. Baby steps. :unsmith:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

At this point he's going to be like, "You don't mind if I club this baby seal with my blood diamond encrusted elephant ivory baton while we chat do you?"

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Hodgepodge posted:

Schrodinger's Kat.

:golfclap:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Guess #9 I think?: it's about reynardine and demanding she do X.

I'm going with it being about being the forest medium or cutting to Kat tho.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm guessing Anthony will reveal to Annie that he has evidence of her cheating off of Kat, which is an offense worthy of expulsion from the Court if other teachers found out. Maybe imply that he's willing to take Kat down too, after all, how did Annie copy all that stuff unless she had help? He'll inform her that he would be happy to tutor her personally to get her where she needs to be, on one condition: she has to give up her position as the Forest Medium.

mjau
Aug 8, 2008

IUG posted:

The only thing that hints towards something good happening in the next panel is that you don't ever really see his right hand. I can only hope he's clinching a fist the way he did as a kid and Annie did when she was trying to hide how stressed out they were. It's the closest thing to a hint so far that he might be uncomfortable with his situation.

They see each others clenched fists and bond instantly. Tom starts a superhero spinoff comic about their adventures together: Firehead and Scalpel Tosser

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rosalind posted:

At this point he's going to be like, "You don't mind if I club this baby seal with my blood diamond encrusted elephant ivory baton while we chat do you?"

Nah, that'd be just cartoonish. If he wants to be truly awful in a way that sticks, a way that inflicts maximum damage, then he's gonna tell Annie he forbids her from staying friends with that awful lesbo.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
You guys are all really bad with the concept of characters having different knowledge sets. Annie cheating off of Kat hasn't come up since before the fire elemental reveal and there is no reasonable way for Anthony to know about it.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
10) He spends the entire next page filling out forms or grading papers making her wait, then on Friday mentions that he feels she has been unsupervised too long and now things are going to be different with him being more involved. The implication of whether or not this will be a good or bad thing will be slightly ambiguous but will seem like it's leaning towards it being bad. Tom will continue to troll us for a week and half and then pull the rug out from under us with Anthony giving some heartfelt speech.

11) He does this.

12) It's Coyote. Duh.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Wulfolme posted:

You guys are all really bad with the concept of characters having different knowledge sets. Annie cheating off of Kat hasn't come up since before the fire elemental reveal and there is no reasonable way for Anthony to know about it.
He would have compared several of the two's papers and found that their answers were reliably identical, even the rare wrong one, which would be enough for him.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
You guys are just setting me up for massive disappointment.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

JT Jag posted:

He would have compared several of the two's papers and found that their answers were reliably identical, even the rare wrong one, which would be enough for him.

Maybe whoever's been grading their papers has already done this, and it's common knowledge among the staff, who haven't stepped in yet because at least Annie's trying not to get caught.

But then they told Carver and he didn't see it that way.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

We already know Coyote is a bastard but if Anthony turns out to be Coyote in disguise that'd be some serious horseshit. Didn't someone mention though that Anthony is appearing sooner than Annie's previous narration comment of "over two years" would suggest? I kinda doubt Coyote would show up on Court grounds uninvited though. Also I kinda doubt even he'd manage to hold character as such a boring dick for this long :v:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Realtalk though, the first couple pages of this chapter have gone out of their way to portray Anthony as an unsympathetic person, and this is still far too early in his introduction so I doubt this portrayal is going to change no matter what the endgame of it is going to be. We either switch to Kat's perspective or we see Anthony acting about the same if not worse regardless of whether he's being set up as a loving father figure or a selfish villain.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
After the last few chapters, this feels like one of the "okay, time to really push the plot a bit". Anthony Carver has been an enduring mystery on the show and even now I'm sort of surprised at how many people seem to think we know really anything about him. We'd hardly ever seen him before this, and the flashback chapter really put forward more questions than answers. We don't know how he got together with Surma, where he was for Annie's childhood, why he brought her to the Court and why he went into hiding. We know absolutely nothing about him, outside of the fact that he's stiff, cold, and seems to have trouble with human emotion.

If he's at the Court, he's made some kind of deal with the headmaster. Either the Court wants to control his research and have the leverage to do it or he's working his own agenda and the Court is fine with taking the risk.

This doesn't feel like a Coyote trick. I feel like the presence of the rest of the class rules out this being a simulation. That said, we don't really know if this "Anthony Carver" is really the same "Anthony Carver" who is Annie's father. She clearly seems to recognize him, but we can't rule out clones or robots.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Wulfolme posted:

We're guessing he might have discovered her cheating, because him confronting her with that would be a dramatically unpleasant scene, and this chapter seems to be aiming to twist the knife as much as possible.

And Annie's cheating HAS come up since the fire elemental reveal. For instance, in Divine's dreamscape, Annie was using her mask to hide her copying Kat's work.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 23, 2015

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

We're guessing he might have discovered her cheating, because him confronting her with that would be a dramatically unpleasant scene, and this chapter seems to be aiming to twist the knife as much as possible.

Things goons start singing the internationale and rallying at the barricades over: parents, teachers, being disciplined over cheating at their schoolwork.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think cheating hasn't really come up over the last (in-comic) year because schoolwork hasn't come up in the last year. Far as I can remember the only class we saw wasn't even one she was enrolled in.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Things goons start singing the internationale and rallying at the barricades over: parents, teachers, being disciplined over cheating at their schoolwork.
I actually doubt we'd be acting this pained if this guy was just a strict dad and a mean teacher. This guy has clearly had a hugely negative influence on Annie's life in many ways.

He's been this huge looming mystery the entire story. Annie doesn't seem to know him very well despite spending her childhood with him. A lot of her worse social habits seem to come from him, and a big arc in GC has been her becoming less like her father and more like her mother. The story STARTED with her gradually realizing he wasn't coming back for her like she expected. A call from him set her into an anxiety attack, yet he was somehow incapable of actually talking to her about anything when he did that. Kat says Annie "always has an excuse for him." And don't forget the whole incident where she coma'd randomly in a hallway because of something he was doing from the other side of the globe.

Now, this huge figure in the story finally shows up, acting like it's no big deal, and he's just kinda generally being an rear end in a top hat. It's clearly having a huge impact on our main character, and causing her a lot of distress.

I know "goons gonna be goons" is a fun comment to make in any discussion on this forum, but come on, man. This is empathy for a character in a well-written story we've been reading for years. This is allowing the story structure to lead us to where it's going.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

mjau posted:

They see each others clenched fists and bond instantly. Tom starts a superhero spinoff comic about their adventures together: Firehead and Scalpel Tosser

He always wonders why people call him that even though he never throws the scalpels

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Cut to Kat, Annie bursts out of the room in tears, Kat enrages :goku:, and hundreds of Seraph bots rush in to "deal" with Anthony

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

YF-23 posted:

Realtalk though, the first couple pages of this chapter have gone out of their way to portray Anthony as an unsympathetic person, and this is still far too early in his introduction so I doubt this portrayal is going to change no matter what the endgame of it is going to be. We either switch to Kat's perspective or we see Anthony acting about the same if not worse regardless of whether he's being set up as a loving father figure or a selfish villain.

Not too unlike a certain shrimp-a-la-flambe...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Carrasco posted:

Maybe whoever's been grading their papers has already done this, and it's common knowledge among the staff, who haven't stepped in yet because at least Annie's trying not to get caught.

But then they told Carver and he didn't see it that way.

But that detention notice is for leaving school grounds, not cheating. Or am I missing something?