Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008
Anyone who knows more about the era care to guesstimate what 5 million gold coins would be worth today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

not joseph stalin posted:

Anyone who knows more about the era care to guesstimate what 5 million gold coins would be worth today?

100's of millions. Maybe more.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

100's of millions. Maybe more.

Yup, pretty much what google suggests too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2241005/Lost-Spanish-treasure-worth-500million-reclaimed-sunken-19th-Century-galleon-unveiled.html

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

0 odds. He knew that when he stuck his hand out.

Yeah, Flint knew what it meant and he was willing anyway.

On the one hand a Vane rescue should be pretty awesome. On the other I'm still not comfortable with the way they keep making you want to cheer for a guy who was known as one of the cruelest pirates of the era.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I don't think Flint had any way out. He went all in on the "return the damsel and obtain the goodwill of your old friend" gambit, if it failed he was definitely on a one way ticket. (It was kind of a dumb idea really but then again his idea of pirates becoming genteel farmers and craftsmen isn't that great either.)

But now he gets the benefit of pirates ex machina to bail him out of a noose.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think they are going to make Flint into an irredeemable character. His whole persona was that of someone he hated and couldn't wait to shed. He unfortunately is permanently stuck with it now and will live a life of guilt and self hatred.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SaltLick posted:

I think they are going to make Flint into an irredeemable character. His whole persona was that of someone he hated and couldn't wait to shed. He unfortunately is permanently stuck with it now and will live a life of guilt and self hatred.

Well the book Flint does murder his entire crew except for 2 people.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Am I weird in thinking that the guy with Silver kind of makes the same arguments a viewer would do? "This is dumb, let's just swim to the shore" I kinda like him, actually, even if he offed his friend. Somehow he feels sympathetic.

Jst0rm - I'm pretty sure he's the audio guy posting in this thread? This series has *awesome* audio track. I don't own a surround sound setup, but even just wearing proper headphones and utilizing virtual surround and the 5.1 audio track makes the spatial feel in this show incredible at times.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
All I wanna know is:

1) Is Billy gonna be ok
2) Are Billy's arms gonna be ok
3) Is cool Asian pirate dude ok
4) Is The Coat gonna be ok

:ohdear:

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

i liked billy before, then he was putting a beatdown on vane until his crew intervened and it made it official that hes should be king of the pirates. im going to miss mrs barlows' cleavage but at least flint is going to murder a bunch of people!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Let me tell you something. The theme song is very good and I sit through it every episode. Oh and Flint is going to kill everybody.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm not gonna miss Ms. Barlow at all. She was the most boring character with the most boring stories. Plus she LOVES ruining plans for petty vengeance.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After they killed randall i was really afraid that Samurai dude and Billy could be killed. Samurai dude made some cool moves but he still hasn't gotten a deserved spotlight.

drat what an episode. Eleanor has been a trainwreck this season and her being sentenced as "queen of thieves" would probably be better for her name than the on-going "fail to do a single plot and depend on pirates to murder each other". Not sure how she's going to be saved right now.

Hornigold ended his days a colaborator for the English, i wonder if we'll see him get blasted out of water by the fusion of team flynt and vane.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The basic setup of the show ("we are just glimpsing the beginning of the end of the golden era of pirates, just before the great navies of the world exterminate them off the map") is pretty similar to the classic Sam Peckinpah movie The Wild Bunch, substituting a band of robber outlaws for the pirates.

It will be interesting to see if the show's main characters go out in a blaze of glory like The Wild Bunch.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm not gonna miss Ms. Barlow at all. She was the most boring character with the most boring stories. Plus she LOVES ruining plans for petty vengeance.

But those boobs.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Never would have picked her for Afrikaani

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Holy gently caress, didn't see the Barlow death coming. This goddamn show.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

not joseph stalin posted:

So gold is valued at about 1200 dollars an ounce, and it takes about 4.5 spanish doubloons to an ounce so a bit more than a million ounces, or close to 1.3 billion dollars.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Just finished the episode. So I guess if you thought Flint was a monster BEFORE...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The fake blood budget for this show is about to skyrocket.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Fenris13 posted:

So gold is valued at about 1200 dollars an ounce, and it takes about 4.5 spanish doubloons to an ounce so a bit more than a million ounces, or close to 1.3 billion dollars.

Pre-Inflation, assuming you didn't convert them into other forms of currency and/or sold them as doubloons, rather than just their weight in gold.

I.E A gently caress-tonne more value than that.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Rocksicles posted:

Never would have picked her for Afrikaani

The accent squeaked through a few times.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Shockeh posted:

Pre-Inflation, assuming you didn't convert them into other forms of currency and/or sold them as doubloons, rather than just their weight in gold.

I.E A gently caress-tonne more value than that.

Well sure, but that doesn't really mean anything regarding how valuable a prize it is for the various factions in the show. Like how many swanky early Georgian mansions is Rackham dreaming about owning here?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Zythrst posted:

Well sure, but that doesn't really mean anything regarding how valuable a prize it is for the various factions in the show. Like how many swanky early Georgian mansions is Rackham dreaming about owning here?
ALL OF THEM.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boris Galerkin posted:

But those boobs.
We still have that giant boobed prostitute

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mans posted:

We still have that giant boobed prostitute

Hank?

EDIT: Haha you know TVIV is getting when you see one post about boobs and it immediately makes you assume you're in the better call saul thread.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 23, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Xoidanor posted:

Hank?

EDIT: Haha you know TVIV is getting when you see one post about boobs and it immediately makes you assume you're in the better call saul thread.

The Flash thread was going crazy over the boobs on a random extra as well.

I was thinking today, the last episode had so much awesome stuff going on in it I'd completely forgotten about Anne saving Jack's rear end. That was kick rear end and I'd happy to see those two reunited, on the same boat, and it's nice to see Anne getting out of her multi-episode slump with some good old fashion murdering.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She had a line! She could be important! It's not sad!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Mans posted:

drat what an episode. Eleanor has been a trainwreck this season and her being sentenced as "queen of thieves" would probably be better for her name than the on-going "fail to do a single plot and depend on pirates to murder each other". Not sure how she's going to be saved right now.

I don't know, her "Kill everyone" plan looked like it would have worked had Anne not recovered from her funk just in time.

...of course she still would have been taken hostage considering neither she nor the other most important person on the island were traveling with bodyguards.

I am surprised though that a) Hornigold and his men actually got pardons and not murdered and b) that Flint didn't kill anybody before being taken down. I'm sure the colonel will be murdered much more satisfyingly during the escape.

Fun fact: my spell-check thinks "Hornigold" should be spelled "Ornithology". Hornigold and Ben Bailey: Accidental Ornithologists

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cat Hatter posted:

I am surprised though that a) Hornigold and his men actually got pardons and not murdered

Why? I mean sure, from a TV-drama perspective it makes total sense for the villains to backstab Hornigold for no reason. From a rational perspective however there was no reason not to hand off the pardons at that point. They had gotten something far more valuable then they had asked for and they had no real reasons to kill some no-name pirates.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Cat Hatter posted:

I don't know, her "Kill everyone" plan looked like it would have worked had Anne not recovered from her funk just in time.

...of course she still would have been taken hostage considering neither she nor the other most important person on the island were traveling with bodyguards.

I am surprised though that a) Hornigold and his men actually got pardons and not murdered and b) that Flint didn't kill anybody before being taken down. I'm sure the colonel will be murdered much more satisfyingly during the escape.

Fun fact: my spell-check thinks "Hornigold" should be spelled "Ornithology". Hornigold and Ben Bailey: Accidental Ornithologists

Eh it doesn't make sense to screw Hornigold over as they are going to want some credibility when they try to destabilize the free republic's leadership. Not to mention Hornigold was smart enough to insist they had even numbers for the meet.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

British navy dude looked kinda like Rape Face from Spartacus

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Because the British Navy has been repeatedly shown "making example" of pirates and it doesn't sound like they plan on sparing/pardoning any additional pirates. They may have thought it useful psychological warfare to show that pirates aren't safe from the Royal Navy even in Nassau, but that's probably why Hornigold brought everyone with him.

Keep in mind that these are basically the same people and thought processes that lead to "An unarmed woman is raising her voice from the other side of a ~6ft desk. I'd better threaten to shoot her" and "An unarmed woman has now raised her voice for a second time, I'd better shoot her."

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Zythrst posted:

Eh it doesn't make sense to screw Hornigold over as they are going to want some credibility when they try to destabilize the free republic's leadership. Not to mention Hornigold was smart enough to insist they had even numbers for the meet.

I wonder if we've seen the last of Hornigold, as his real-life counterpart was commissioned as a pirate hunter after he was pardoned http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Hornigold#Pirate_hunter_and_death

I liked the character. Maybe if there's time in the next season, or if it get renewed for a fourth.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

PaybackJack posted:

I was thinking today, the last episode had so much awesome stuff going on in it I'd completely forgotten about Anne saving Jack's rear end. That was kick rear end and I'd happy to see those two reunited, on the same boat, and it's nice to see Anne getting out of her multi-episode slump with some good old fashion murdering.

And she stabbed that rear end in a top hat mercenary from Disctrict 9 in the balls.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

PlushCow posted:

I wonder if we've seen the last of Hornigold, as his real-life counterpart was commissioned as a pirate hunter after he was pardoned http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Hornigold#Pirate_hunter_and_death

I liked the character. Maybe if there's time in the next season, or if it get renewed for a fourth.

I'd like to see him attempt to hunt down Jack

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cat Hatter posted:

Because the British Navy has been repeatedly shown "making example" of pirates and it doesn't sound like they plan on sparing/pardoning any additional pirates. They may have thought it useful psychological warfare to show that pirates aren't safe from the Royal Navy even in Nassau, but that's probably why Hornigold brought everyone with him.

The Brittish Navy yes, but from what we've seen so far the captain of the Scarbarra is far more pragmatic in his approach. :v:

Cat Hatter posted:

Keep in mind that these are basically the same people and thought processes that lead to "An unarmed woman is raising her voice from the other side of a ~6ft desk. I'd better threaten to shoot her" and "An unarmed woman has now raised her voice for a second time, I'd better shoot her."

No, that was the enforcer of the "pirate hunter" of the americas who was established as a remorseless psychopath in his second scene.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cat Hatter posted:

Well......she was talking about how she wanted to kill him that second time. And she could have just shut her drat mouth and saved the entire island, but here we are.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

One thing that didn't make much sense to me was Eleanor Guthrie being worth as much as a captive as a notorious pirate like Flint. Sure the Crown may well know she's consorting (heh heh) with the pirates and seems to have some kind of semiformal arrangement with them, but there was never any indication on the show that she had any charges against her or was wanted for anything. There would have to be some proof ahead of time or witnesses willing to come forward to say that she was involved in the consortium or else the Crown wouldn't have any legal basis to detain her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
hey so I dont want to talk too much as we still have 1 show to go but as far as stories from production well I dont get much interaction with them as I am working in Los Angeles after they are done shooting in South Africa. For the person who commented on the audio track - thank you! It is a group effort 2 excellent re-recording mixers (the same as GOT), the same foley team that is on GOT and my cool sound supervisor all help with getting the show sounding the way it does. It is an enormous amount of work to put the sound to this. I do recommend everyone watch in 5.1 or 7.1 as that is how it was meant to be played. Glad the upmix sounds good still though. Hoping for another Emmy nomination and win :)

• Locked thread