Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, the crowd at a Tom Cotton foreign policy event waits to hear how he'll deal with the Barbary pirates.

Pretty sure that dude's just part of a horn line in a local ska band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fried Chicken posted:

SCOTUS has refused to hear the Wisconsin voter suppression case

Chief Justice Roberts unavailable for comment due to furiously masturbating as the VRA is further eroded away.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Yawgmoft posted:

Eh. They probably were actually slaves or otherwise residents of Egypt. Not only do they give their super important leader for all time an Egyptian name, they also made themselves slaves in their own narrative, which is rare. However, they did not build the pyramids, which has somehow become a thing people believe.

For what it's worth, there has been no archeological evidence recovered - and certainly not for lack of searching - that squares with the events of Exodus. No Jewish slave community, no pyramid building, no mass migration. More likely, early Israel was the successor to local Canaanite communities.

As for Moses, there's many theories what historical figure may have inspired that character, but no evidence to believe it was an Egyptian prince turned leader of the Jews.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

There's something really creepy about Ted Cruz announcing his candidacy at what's basically a 10,000 seat megachurch the college is forced to attend.

Whole speech was kinda creepy-

"American rights don't come from Man, but from GOD!!!"

*wild applause, Cruz drinks the blood of a ram*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PhilippAchtel posted:

For what it's worth, there has been no archeological evidence recovered - and certainly not for lack of searching - that squares with the events of Exodus. No Jewish slave community, no pyramid building, no mass migration. More likely, early Israel was the successor to local Canaanite communities.

As for Moses, there's many theories what historical figure may have inspired that character, but no evidence to believe it was an Egyptian prince turned leader of the Jews.

Antisemitism rears its ugly head again -_-

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
They want to privitize the UofI because of money, and to crush unions. loving over Salaita is only an incidental benefit.

PhilippAchtel posted:

Who was the god of the Kushites?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

zoux posted:

Antisemitism rears its ugly head again -_-

I guess I stand alongside noted Jewish archaeologist and anti-semite Israel Finkelstein. :v:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

There's something really creepy about Ted Cruz announcing his candidacy at what's basically a 10,000 seat megachurch the college is forced to attend.
Jerry Falwell had a big picture of himself on the wall of his office.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Having never read any of the Bible for any reason in school, it probably would have worked well in my high school Ancient Mythology elective course...

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hinging any assignment on reading the Bible is dumb, and you teacher overachievers can screw off. Nobody wants to read the Bible in school and those that do can go work in Cruz's campaign.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Casimir Radon posted:

Try on the face of an entire building. That was lit up 24/7.

Always seems to be the super self-righteous that seems to have trouble grasping with the whole vanity thing,

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Chief Justice Roberts unavailable for comment due to furiously masturbating as the VRA is further eroded away.

Hey now, that's not true.

He's busy destroying the Fair Housing Act

In less than 10 years one man will have undone the pinnacle accomplishments of the Civil Rights movement. Ponder that.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Casimir Radon posted:

Note the Halo around Ted's head

Ted hangs this in his own office.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Venom Snake posted:

It is one of the best things about Ted Cruz, and I hope it is brought up in the debates.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

It would have to be to accommodate his massive fundamentalist rear end.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dems will have done a disservice to political discourse if they do not adopt that professional plutocrat league symbol for 2016 campaigning.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Fried Chicken posted:

In less than 10 years one man will have undone the pinnacle accomplishments of the Civil Rights movement. Ponder that.

What's this Great Man schlock? Don't sell the rest of the movement short, I don't see CJ Roberts out their doing the hardwork of finding the test cases and guiding them through the system. No sir, he just sits at top and takes all the credit.

:smith:

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 23, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Police have suspended investigation into the UVA sexual assault allegations that were detailed in the Rilling Stone story, citing lack of evidence

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Police have suspended investigation into the UVA sexual assault allegations that were detailed in the Rilling Stone story, citing lack of evidence

Which is unsurprising considering the victim didn't want to talk to police and it was several years ago.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Venom Snake posted:

So have the Ted Cruz supporters decided that Canada is now America or something? Because last I checked he wasnt born in the US, or on US soil abroad, or In a state that became the US, or anything, dude is Canadian as hell. I mean, not that it will come up because he has the ol' snowballs chance but still given the overlap between birthers and Cruz supporters there has to be some genuinely good doublethink quotes we can all enjoy.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I almost forgot how great the floor charts tumblr is.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Gonzaga was beat out by seniors.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Wait, there's some Major League Billionaires tournament with brackets that we've been missing out ohright that's been happening since the 80s

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
People who say rights come from God should be detained indefinitely. I'm sure an army of forest critters will bust them out of Gitmo and the FEMA camps.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

McDowell posted:

People who say rights come from God should be detained indefinitely. I'm sure an army of forest critters will bust them out of Gitmo and the FEMA camps.

Rights come from god except they can be overridden by free will of mans prison system which was granted by god but isnt under the jurisdiction of his rules because.. of um.. satan?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DemeaninDemon posted:

Gonzaga was beat out by seniors.

Maybe Adam Morrison shouldn't have cried on the court like a little bitch then.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

A Winner is Jew posted:

You would have cried too if you bashed yourself in the head with a basketball that many times.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

McDowell posted:

People who say rights are natural should also be. Both are really funny concepts.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

A Winner is Jew posted:

"My name's Adam Morrison and I have diabetes"

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Crowsbeak posted:

I argue for it because I want people to have a good understanding of their culture. I certainly do not want it being taught in History classes that the founding fathers wanted it as the law of the land.

The major problem with this is "whose culture?", especially if you're arguing for the KJV in a country where the largest single Christian denomination in the nation doesn't use it.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Fried Chicken posted:

Hey now, that's not true.

He's busy destroying the Fair Housing Act

I was thinking that the fact that the supreme court will most likely swing to Democrats if the democrats win 2016 would mostly motivate the democratic base. But I guess the same could be said for motivating the GOP base. I imagine that will be pretty damaging to the country if the supreme court gets 6-3 or even 7-2 GOP for a few decades.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Sir Tonk posted:

That powerpoint presentation that got leaked was amazing.

Please tell me you have a link/copy.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

The Warszawa posted:

The major problem with this is "whose culture?", especially if you're arguing for the KJV in a country where the largest single Christian denomination in the nation doesn't use it.

Our culture, the anglo saxon culture that even when the country no longer can trace the majority of their genetic roots from Britain it still is subsumed in.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Unzip and Attack posted:

Please tell me you have a link/copy.

Sir Tonk posted:

The original GQ article about it is no longer available online, as far as I can tell, but I found another one that had all of the slides saved.

Personally, I'm more upset about how bad a cabinet level ppt presentation is designed, those fonts and colors are terrible and everything is a jumbled mess.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Spaceman Future! posted:

So have the Ted Cruz supporters decided that Canada is now America or something? Because last I checked he wasnt born in the US, or on US soil abroad, or In a state that became the US, or anything, dude is Canadian as hell. I mean, not that it will come up because he has the ol' snowballs chance but still given the overlap between birthers and Cruz supporters there has to be some genuinely good doublethink quotes we can all enjoy.

His mother is a US Citizen, as near as anyone can tell, natural born citizen means citizen at birth. Of course he's white so it doesn't actually matter.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

duz posted:

His mother is a US Citizen, as near as anyone can tell, natural born citizen means citizen at birth. Of course he's white so it doesn't actually matter.

According to the people who care most about what white is, he doesn't qualify.

Doesn't mean he's not a shithead though.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Crowsbeak posted:

Our culture, the anglo saxon culture that even when the country no longer can trace the majority of their genetic roots from Britain it still is subsumed in.

That's a highly regionalized statement even if you accept the premise that immigrants and first-generation Americans are either equally subsumed or proportionally less of the country or the validity of the plural possessive pronoun. Compare the prevalence of Anglo-Saxon culture in Connecticut versus Florida versus California.

One of the awesome things about a country organized around a set of principles versus an ethnonational identity at the outset is that it allows if not mandates incredible diversity in the nation's culture--we should really be talking about American cultures, versus American culture.

duz posted:

Wait until they find out he was a founding editor of the Harvard Latino Law Review.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Obama finally seems to be taking the suggestion of the progressive base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Obama finally seems to be taking the suggestion of the progressive base.

I bet his entire thoughts while standing there were, "This'll make a great photo to text after we whoop some folks on the ball court"

• Locked thread