Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
A user review gave the DLC soundtrack a 49 outta 10 and I'd say that's as reliable as it comes for rating the music.
I remember someone else saying it was more all-encompassing, too. There are so many favorites to have to fit different moods. I'm just sad that "You Are the Blood" by The Castanets isn't the 50th piece on the soundtrack for some reason.
The Remix EP (YT Playlist) is rad, too. Oh man, it would've been sweet if they included some of the remixes for hard mode as a minor easter egg, or did the entire soundtrack for hard mode, but I guess I can understand why you wouldn't wanna do that when the game's already so difficult.

Erata fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

EDIT: I've gotten my dad to appreciate more of this soundtrack by comparing it to Miami Vice. Just not stuff like Run. I doubt he'll ever like that. I know I don't. :v:

Just leave him in a subway station full of thugs and blare it through the intercom while he smacks people with a baseball bat, easy!

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011
The soundtrack for HM2 makes the first game's soundtrack sound pretty boring in comparison, which is a hell of an achievement.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Stargate posted:

The soundtrack for HM2 makes the first game's soundtrack sound pretty boring in comparison, which is a hell of an achievement.

I disagree, the music's all excellent but it's also all really scattered. I really preferred the first game's OST for its laser-focus. And honestly it seems like there are just fewer tracks in Wrong Number to get you really psyched up. There was what, Magna and a bit of Carpenter Brut? The rest was just kind of meh.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The point is that each different character has different sorts of motiffs to their music. Like how Jake's stuff sounds like it could have been in the first game, or Evan's isn't aggressive sounding.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

You can see him outside the courthouse

Yeah but why? He has nothing to gain form putting his neck on the line.

poptart_fairy posted:

Don't know how I missed this the first time but I've realized Biker wants to stop doing the phonecall hits because he's bored, not angry or scared. The gently caress kind of lunatic poo poo keeps him interested? :catstare:

Riding his motorcycle.

On the topic of music my favorite is the dust remix by M|O|O|N Carpenter Brut. It spices up the original enough to make it work for an actual level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHkLBXeuoow

Amorphous Blob fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 23, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Amorphous Blob posted:

On the topic of music my favorite is the dust remix by M|O|O|N. It spices up the original enough to make it work for an actual level.

I believe that's Dust by M|O|O|N remixed by Carpenter Brut.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Amorphous Blob posted:

On the topic of music my favorite is the dust remix by M|O|O|N. It spices up the original enough to make it work for an actual level.

I think it is safe to say Carpenter Brut really nail his part of this soundtrack.

There are a ton of great songs on the album, but there are a bunch that are totally skipable due to ambiance or silliness. Frantic Aerobics and Hollywood Heights comes to mind, nothing wrong with them they just a little tongue and cheek 80's vibe to them.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
All I'll say is that I've found myself listening to the soundtrack outside of the context of the game way more than I ever did with the original game's soundtrack. In fact I don't think I really listened the original's at all outside of the game, the music just seemed inextricably joined with the gameplay. Hotline Miami 2's soundtrack feels more like a proper album full of listenable music rather than a video game soundtrack.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

A Company That Has No Business Selling Vinyl At This Point posted:

Dearest Hotline Miami fan,

You're receiving this email because you pre-ordered the second pressing of the Hotline Miami 2 Collector's Edition. Lucky you! It's now SOLD OUT... but the good news is, YOU made the cutoff!

We wanted to update you today, that due to production delays beyond our control, your order is now set to ship in late April.

Our sincerest apologies for this delay in shipping - we promise it'll be more than worth the wait!

There is no need to check in with us between now and the end of April; we will let you know all of the important details the moment a specific ship date gets locked in. In addition, you'll receive a confirmation email with a tracking number as soon as your order has shipped.

XOXO,
iam8bit

Ugh

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Lacedaemonius posted:

I disagree, the music's all excellent but it's also all really scattered. I really preferred the first game's OST for its laser-focus. And honestly it seems like there are just fewer tracks in Wrong Number to get you really psyched up. There was what, Magna and a bit of Carpenter Brut? The rest was just kind of meh.

The Way Home is awesome and fits Casualties really well.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

That's twice in one year a company I gave $60 to told me to "wait until April" :v:

In this case though, I'm definitely not canceling my order. Maybe there'll be a third pressing but this feels like one of those one-time deals that I'd kick myself later for passing up when I'm staring at a bunch of $500 sealed copies on eBay.

e: VV Yeah in all seriousness, this wasn't iam8bit's fault. They sent their work off to a company to have it pressed and printed and all that, the company was late getting it done/started/whatever.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 23, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

I fail to see anything they're doing wrong here.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

While we're on the subject of music chat, which Act has the best music in your opinion? I'm all about Act Four, every level's song makes me think of that level vividly and I feel like "Hotline Theme" is an accurate track name because it's like, perfectly chill music to murder a bunch of dudes to.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I have no idea. I've never felt the need to group the music in any way other than by stage and by character.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I was really bored at work today and couldn't get the soundtrack out of my head, okay. :smith:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Because I am a shameless shyster...

Check out my new shirt on RedBubble!

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
drat son !

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

I fail to see anything they're doing wrong here.

I assume he meant "Ugh, it sucks that it's delayed" not "ugh Iam8bit sucks."

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fuligin posted:

The Way Home is awesome and fits Casualties really well.

I was stuck on this level and it just drained me, it fit the hopelessness so well after the colonel's speech.

No love for Remorse?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I really love Remorse. I don't like She Swallowed Burning Coals as much as others seem to, though. It's fine and good up until about a 1:30 then it just turns terrible.

Edit: Also I don't think I seen Bloodline mentioned, that's another good one. Scattle's contributions to both games are top notch.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 24, 2015

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Jehde posted:

I really love Remorse. I don't like She Swallowed Burning Coals as much as others seem to, though. It's fine and good up until about a 1:30 then it just turns terrible.

Glad I'm not alone. That's probably my least favorite track in the game.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I'm going to lobby for Le Perv being an underrated hit on the soundtrack. Not that people don't love Carpenter Brut, it just doesn't get mentioned a lot. but i love it, especially the semi-orchestral samples towards the middle. Perfect music for wigging out and stabbin' fools

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It gets repetitive, but I could listen to Java all day long.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Anal Surgery posted:

I'm going to lobby for Le Perv being an underrated hit on the soundtrack. Not that people don't love Carpenter Brut, it just doesn't get mentioned a lot. but i love it, especially the semi-orchestral samples towards the middle. Perfect music for wigging out and stabbin' fools

Le Perv was a song that I was familiar with before HLM2 was released, just because after the trailer came out I was like :swoon: and instantly bought his first EP, but drat now all I can think about when I listen to it is violent prison breakouts with Shawshank-levels of catharsis at the end. It's interesting the difference in listening to a song before and after you have a video game experience to attach it to!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Firstborn posted:

I think Roller Mobster and Magic Sword stand out as tracks. Everyone would agree Roller Mobster is loving awesome, but Magic Sword has been creeping into my top 5 songs a little more every time I hear it.

E: Whoops, I meant "The Way Home". Magic Sword is the artist.
E2: Just listened to it again. Still owns.

1.) Roller Mobster
2.) The Way Home
3.) Blizzard
4.) Divide
5.) In the face of evil
Honorable Mention - She swallowed burning coals

You've hit on all my favorites too, so good job. But this soundtrack is so insanely good there's still a dozen amaaaaazing tracks you left out.

Bloodline, Voyager, Fahkeet, MsMinnie, Rust, Acid Spit, Around, She Meditates, Pursuit, NARC, Divide, Futureclub, Technoir, Run and the ending song You Are The Blood are all just amazing.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mesadoram posted:

Frantic Aerobics and Hollywood Heights comes to mind, nothing wrong with them they just a little tongue and cheek 80's vibe to them.

I really liked them both on their own and because of their silliness; the game uses them in dream sequences right before Richard shows up and totally ruins the mood and they're the perfect compliment to an acid-washed 80s fantasy like being a famous actor on a daytime talkshow or cruising down the highway in your sick sports car with a bag of money at your side.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I'm annoyed that the final credits song isn't included on the soundtrack, because then I would have a song for every blessing. :sigh:

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Geight posted:

I'm annoyed that the final credits song isn't included on the soundtrack, because then I would have a song for every blessing. :sigh:

They ultimately decide it should be 49 blessings because really, who could consider Florida a blessing

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

They ultimately decide it should be 49 blessings because really, who could consider Florida a blessing

If Hotline Miami didn't win you over just wait until Tallahassee Massacre, Jacksonvile, and Daytona Showdown come out.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Geight posted:

America Is A Tune, It Must Be Sung Together (except Hawaii they got taken by Russians so gently caress them)
- 50 Blessings

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Geight posted:

Anyone know what this song is?

vvv Thank you, been making an effort to augment the official soundtrack with whatever is missing. The full version is even more pleasantly hipstery. :allears:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 24, 2015

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Jehde posted:

Anyone know what this song is?
The credits song? You Are The Blood by the Castanets

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I get it now. Bikers ending is the good ending. Hotline Miami 2 is the bad ending.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Is there actually a strategy to the really fast strangly inmates in the prison level? It pretty much seems like a total crapshoot as to whether or not I can hit them once they see me, and it's impossible not to be seen by some of them. Sometimes they'll be the last guy on the map and I'll have to restart because it doesn't register that I'm swinging a melee weapon at them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

sticklefifer posted:

Is there actually a strategy to the really fast strangly inmates in the prison level? It pretty much seems like a total crapshoot as to whether or not I can hit them once they see me, and it's impossible not to be seen by some of them. Sometimes they'll be the last guy on the map and I'll have to restart because it doesn't register that I'm swinging a melee weapon at them.

If you throw a weapon at them they get knocked down and don't run as fast when they get back up.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
They can still get clocked by a melee weapon. I've even had to punch a few out on Hard at the last second. Just think of them like a dog who can round corners stupid well.

Edit: Whoops, misread the part where you do actually hit them half the time. My bad.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

sticklefifer posted:

Their "contact zone" appears to actually be the space framed by their arms, rather than where their torso is.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

Throw things at them, it'll knock them down and then they're an easy execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

backpedaling should help, as well. Given that their speed is faster than yours, it increases your overall melee attack exposure before they choke the poo poo out of you.

• Locked thread