Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I love loving, mmm...

I'm not really a fan of theirs, but in defense of Scott, Stars aren't exactly an 'old person' band, and were pretty firmly cool/hipster-approved around like 2005 when Broken Social Scene was a big deal.

Speaking of music, it does seem somehow appropriate that Claudia O'Doherty is on CBB the day Courtney Barnett's album is released - solid day for funny Australian ladies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Musical breaks aren't what I come to Comedy Bang! Bang! for, but "Huge Ackman" absolutely is.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

There's always been this crossover between music and comedy, but it's really weird how comedians have just the worst, most boring taste in music ever. If it doesn't have acoustic guitars they just don't want to know.

At least Brian Posehn stands out for having a different taste to everyone else.

It's less of a comedian thing and more of a 45 year old white dude thing.

edit: Case in point, 5 minutes after posting this I'm now listening to Hannibal Burress explain to Doug Benson who Birdman is.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 23, 2015

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I like the musical guests not for their music but for having people who aren't comedians, it stops things getting too circle jerky.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Yeah Scott needs to stop giving platforms to all these old man acoustic guitar bands like Reggie Watts and Kid Cudi

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the recording studio probably cant hold much more than a guitar and maybe some bongos

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I lik musical guests on cbb because they're all super dry shy dorks and they give good reactions and some of them are funny. Unlike on improv for humans where it ruins the format it often improves it by putting the straightest possible straight man in the room and giving all the hams someone to preform for. I generally don't like the musical segments but who cares just skip em.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I lik musical guests on cbb because they're all super dry shy dorks and they give good reactions and some of them are funny. Unlike on improv for humans where it ruins the format it often improves it by putting the straightest possible straight man in the room and giving all the hams someone to preform for. I generally don't like the musical segments but who cares just skip em.

Mostly agreed, but I find that the interviews are way more boring than non-musicians because they generally take a long time to warm up to Scott's anti-interview style and understand what he's going for. They usually do pretty well in the second half if they feel confident enough to actually speak up.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

EL BROMANCE posted:

There's always been this crossover between music and comedy, but it's really weird how comedians have just the worst, most boring taste in music ever. If it doesn't have acoustic guitars they just don't want to know.

I feel like for the most part, CBB's musical guests are some combination of "person/band whose music I like" and/or "pretty engaging and able to pitch in and keep a conversation/bit going"

I mean, Scott admits that he likes everything, but he's had legitimately good musicians on as guests.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

ArtVandelay posted:

Once again, a band I have never ever heard of. Scott really is just as old and ridiculous as Matt Besser.

They were huge back when I was doing college radio, nearly 10 years ago now. They've just kinda trudged along as this pleasant sounding band. (e: haha mrs stars is correct, nic harcourt used to play that poo poo all night)

EL BROMANCE posted:

Jonah Ray has great taste in music (meaning we were teenagers at the same time in the same scenes, except he was in Hawaii and I was in socal)

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 24, 2015

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Give me my money back, you Creole piece of poo poo.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I really want and ep with Neil Campbell and Joe Wengert doing characs.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

GraPar posted:

I love loving, mmm...

I'm not really a fan of theirs, but in defense of Scott, Stars aren't exactly an 'old person' band, and were pretty firmly cool/hipster-approved around like 2005 when Broken Social Scene was a big deal.

Speaking of music, it does seem somehow appropriate that Claudia O'Doherty is on CBB the day Courtney Barnett's album is released - solid day for funny Australian ladies.

Claudia O'Doherty deserves 3 times the success of Nick Kroll and Lauren Lapkus combined.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Torquil is actually PERFECT for this show, I am blown away at how funny he was.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lord Wexia posted:

Claudia O'Doherty deserves 3 times the success of Nick Kroll and Lauren Lapkus combined.

Yeah, she slays me every time she's on. Overall a solid episode

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Lord Wexia posted:

Nah shes funny though

cams
Mar 28, 2003

This was a really great episode. That said, my biggest laugh came from an ad where Sean asked if his will offends God's will.

Also, more retroactively unwitting sad moments as Torquil brings up Phish for a bit. Haunted podcast.

cams fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 23, 2015

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Considering I'd never heard of them, I thought they were funny. Plus that dude's name sounds like Fourvill.

Adam Scott....... star of TORQUEville

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 23, 2015

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

lmfao i watch Hellraiser 4 last night in which Mr Scott has a prominent roll. He should definitely get a lot more poo poo about that

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

im 23 and i like stars

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

ManoliIsFat posted:

lmfao i watch Hellraiser 4 last night in which Mr Scott has a prominent roll. He should definitely get a lot more poo poo about that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdNbVxMNFvk

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
These Bang Bang/Hollywood Handbook ads have been so loving good, I can't believe I've been sitting half an episode just waiting for the ad to start

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

OHMYGOD OHMYGOD

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Makes his Children's Hospital appearance make much more sense now.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Does anyone remember what episode someone says "oh poo poo he's coming right for us" I think it might have been a besser character that caused it?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sounds like something that'd be yelled during a Huell Howser crow-bot attack

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

The band lady kind of sucks huh? She keeps injecting a little bit of uncomfortable negativity.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Wax Lion posted:

The band lady kind of sucks huh? She keeps injecting a little bit of uncomfortable negativity.

the Stars guy was funny and the girl was trying to be funny but wasnt imo. Couldve been worse

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought they both did great and the music was good.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
C+ ep IMO. Claudia is always great, I love how chipper and adorably dense she is. The Stars were great too! Scott's been on a roll lately with the musical guests, they've all been playing along and seem to be having good fun, makes me smile :)

You creole piece of poo poo!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Sometimes it seems like some of you are quite prickly. I thought both musical guests were good.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I could take or leave the Stars people, but Claudia's Kim Cattrall impression was pure gold.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Just to add another variation of possible opinions: I thought Torquil was trying too hard to be funny and/or thinks he's funnier than he is. The lady from Stars seemed pleasant enough but didn't really add anything. Claudia O'Doherty was great and I love her. Neil Campbell was Neil Campbell.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Just to add another variation of possible opinions: I thought Torquil was trying too hard to be funny and/or thinks he's funnier than he is. The lady from Stars seemed pleasant enough but didn't really add anything. Claudia O'Doherty was great and I love her. Neil Campbell was Neil Campbell.

i.e. It would have been as good or even better without the loving 'Stars'. I've been ok with a lot of recent musical guests but whenever I see or hear the there will be a musical guest I am tentative to listen and, if given a choice, I skip it.

VVV A 'choice' is a strong word but some days I need something to listen to on the commute. If I have no other podcasts queued up then I suppose I'll be more likely to listen to it. Luckily I've been off these past days so it was an easy delete.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 25, 2015

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Omnishambles posted:

if given a choice, I skip it.

Please explain these scenarios in which you aren't given a choice.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

I hate the loving 'Stars'. How dare they claim to be in a band called stars those sons of bitches. it was a good ep you idiot. even if you loathe the concept of bands you should listen for the very funny professional comedian guests who come on after the first ad break you freaking retard.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

erezaka posted:

I hate the loving 'Stars'. How dare they claim to be in a band called stars those sons of bitches. it was a good ep you idiot. even if you loathe the concept of bands you should listen for the very funny professional comedian guests who come on after the first ad break you freaking retard.

Ha. Relax.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

GraPar posted:

I love loving, mmm...
This impression was flawless btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
kill all musical guests
e: unless it's something like Pertubator, Lazerhawk, Dance with the Dead, Miami Nights 1984...they're already always wearing those Raybans on the Earwolf photos

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 25, 2015