Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Obama finally seems to be taking the suggestion of the progressive base.

Gee why'd he pick that topic I wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

Does that child-sized person have a five o'clock shadow? :stare:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

How are u posted:

I imagine he's sitting in a wheelchair. Since it's a presentation on spinal research.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

How are u posted:

He's 18, 4'10", and was born with scoliosis, a severe curvature of the spine.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

How are u posted:

Ompa loompa doopity do, hello mr president I have a story for you
carbon fiber intertwined spine, how much trouble could be saved if you had had this on time
they never wanted to negotiate with... you. Pulling the rug is just what Republicans... do.
Budgetary concession is just anal penetration, how about NO did you think about think about think about
think about future negotiations la la la la la la la

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

I'm surprised he's only 18, really. Dude looks like he could be 30.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

The Warszawa posted:

That's a highly regionalized statement even if you accept the premise that immigrants and first-generation Americans are either equally subsumed or proportionally less of the country or the validity of the plural possessive pronoun. Compare the prevalence of Anglo-Saxon culture in Connecticut versus Florida versus California.

One of the awesome things about a country organized around a set of principles versus an ethnonational identity at the outset is that it allows if not mandates incredible diversity in the nation's culture--we should really be talking about American cultures, versus American culture.

Wait until they find out he was a founding editor of the Harvard Latino Law Review.

Alright please tell me how our culture is not a Anglo culture, seriously I would like to know because while WASPs may largley no longer exist the literature that WASPs brought forth and brought over still dominates our culture.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “Well he’s got, you know, a hurdle that nobody else seems to have at this moment,. It’s a hurdle and somebody could certainly look at it very seriously. He was born in Canada … if you know … and when we all studied our history lessons … you’re supposed to be born in this country, so I just don’t know how the courts would rule on it. But it’s an additional hurdle that he has that no one else seems to have." ~ Donald Trump, on Ted Cruz.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

Well that makes sense. Hope we can find a way to help him walk some day.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “Well he’s got, you know, a hurdle that nobody else seems to have at this moment,. It’s a hurdle and somebody could certainly look at it very seriously. He was born in Canada … if you know … and when we all studied our history lessons … you’re supposed to be born in this country, so I just don’t know how the courts would rule on it. But it’s an additional hurdle that he has that no one else seems to have." ~ Donald Trump, on Ted Cruz.

Hearing the right slam on Cruz for not being born in the US would be beautiful.

Doubt it'll get as nasty as it should though.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Joementum posted:

Oh yeah thats the stuff, please catch on

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Mitch McConnell has been pushing to undercut Obama's EPA and climate maneuvers, such as his open letter to governors instruction them to defy or nullify the federal initiatives. He's moving further along with it as a way to undercut the U.S. Position in global climate talks. And if the U.S. Can't get acceptable terms obviously we aren't going to go with them, which is normal, but on the issue of climate deals if the U.S. doesn't do it the deal pretty much doesn't happen - why work on your stuff if the major polluters don't join in.

Well WaPo has an interview going into more depth about McConnell's actions and probability of success. They give him good odds of keeping things steady for the international fossil fuels market and doing nothing for climate change

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-actually-work/

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
At 5:30pm the US Senate will vote on the confirmation of William Doyle to be a Federal Maritime Commissioner.

This apparently couldn't be accomplished by unanimous consent.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
GOP position: "yeah gently caress that clean air poo poo lets stick our heads in rolling coal exhaust"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

At 5:30pm the US Senate will vote on the confirmation of William Doyle to be a Federal Maritime Commissioner.

Wake up people, this is the shadow leader of the US government who oversees Maritime Law.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Joementum posted:

that guys real short, or obama is real tall

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

hobbesmaster posted:

Which is unsurprising considering the victim didn't want to talk to police and it was several years ago.

The WaPo was rather unambiguous about their stance here: Charlottesville police make clear that Rolling Stone story is a complete crock

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Joementum posted:

ah, so real short, got you

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So we're going with she made the whole thing up?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
House of Cards is a celebration of Anglopolitics and the American Two Tory system.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Crowsbeak posted:

Alright please tell me how our culture is not a Anglo culture, seriously I would like to know because while WASPs may largley no longer exist the literature that WASPs brought forth and brought over still dominates our culture.

Nah, the WASPs definitely still exist but I think the disconnect here is that you're assuming the dominant culture is necessarily "our" culture - the culture to which everyone belongs. That non-dominant cultural groups have to learn to navigate the dominant culture and will consume the dominant culture (because that group has the resources to put their cultural product into the marketplace) does not induct them into that culture. The other potential disconnect is that I disagree with the idea that the dominant culture necessarily has a greater stake in or right to the nation, which is an idea that definitely flourished in the first half/three-quarters of the twentieth century but I think we can agree has been put to rest.

Just as a curiosity: other than Shakespeare and the Bible - which I am really opposed to calling an Anglo-Saxon cultural work given the history of the book - what literature did the WASPs bring forth that still dominates? I think the cultural firmament is a lot more diverse now. Granted, trying to teach a unified cultural identity that is implicitly (or explicitly) Anglo/more broadly European is something that has been done (see, e.g., "the Canon"), but we should probably dispense with the idea that that's based on a preexisting shared identity as opposed to an attempt to assert one.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

They used to be more important than they are now. They've been gutted of a lot of their regulatory power like a lot of agencies. But they're still regulators, and that's always going to be a pretend fight at least.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

zoux posted:

Wake up people, this is the shadow leader of the US government who oversees Maritime Law.
Is he the guy making sure that we "Hear all the law of the sea"?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ted Cruz's new campaign website lookin' good

http://www.tedcruz.com/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fried Chicken posted:

Not all that recent, it was Corporation of Presiding Bishop of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints v Amos in 1987 that upheld section 702 of the Civil Rights act of 1964 which allows limited exemption for religious grounds

I meant this one, actually... :shobon:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/0...me-court-rules/

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Ted Cruz's new campaign website lookin' good

http://www.tedcruz.com/

It's kinda shameful that whoever sat on that name for so long had to resort to some website building tool and still only managed to produce that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

zoux posted:

So we're going with she made the whole thing up?

quote:

To recap the main points of Longo’s press conference: The police investigation, which featured hundreds of hours of interviews, found no evidence that Jackie was sexually assaulted in the Phi Kappa Psi house on the night of Sept. 28, 2012. “We are not able to conclude to any substantive degree that an incident that is consistent with facts contained in that article occurred at the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity house, or any other fraternity house, for that matter,” said the chief. The case is suspended, though not closed, said Longo. In their investigation, Charlottesville police found essentially what The Post had reported: The friends cited in the Rolling Stone article told a different story of events on that night than what Rolling Stone had reported. “A lot of time and energy went into tracking down people,” said Longo, who made clear that the department’s failure to corroborate the allegations in the Rolling Story doesn’t mean that nothing traumatic happened to Jackie that night.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok, good.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

zoux posted:

Ok, good.

The Washington Post article is far meaner than the quote from the police indicate. The cops basically said "All we could find is rumor and what we could nail down was inconsistent with the rolling stone story so we have no idea what happened if anything."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

The Washington Post article is far meaner than the quote from the police indicate. The cops basically said "All we could find is rumor and what we could nail down was inconsistent with the rolling stone story so we have no idea what happened if anything."

The Washington Post article is about the Rolling Stone story, not Jackie. Even if something else traumatic happened to her, it doesn't do much for the Rolling Stone story.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Warszawa posted:

Just as a curiosity: other than Shakespeare and the Bible - which I am really opposed to calling an Anglo-Saxon cultural work given the history of the book - what literature did the WASPs bring forth that still dominates? I think the cultural firmament is a lot more diverse now.

Could just be my New England upbringing, but I think the curriculum is still heavy on Early American literature: Irving, Hawthorne, Thoreau, Poe, Dickinson, Twain, etc.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

Could just be my New England upbringing, but I think the curriculum is still heavy on Early American literature, Irving, Hawthorne, Thoreau, Poe, Dickinson, Twain, etc.

Outside of New England it is pretty drastically curtailed, or was for me - Poe I'll give you, but I'm hesitant to call Twain a WASP (however, I'm not intimately acquainted with his biography and ancestry). I also had a big ol' Great Books/the Canon requirement in college, but it was filled with a lot of Greeks and Italians and Spaniards, so I'm likewise hesitant to call that "Anglo".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
FEMA has come out and said it will not provide emergency funding to Governors who promote climate change denial:

quote:

The Federal Emergency Management Agency is making it tougher for governors to deny man-made climate change. Starting next year, the agency will approve disaster preparedness funds only for states whose governors approve hazard mitigation plans that address climate change.

This may put several Republican governors who maintain the earth isn't warming due to human activities, or prefer to do nothing about it, into a political bind. Their position may block their states' access to hundreds of millions of dollars in FEMA funds. Over the past five years, the agency has awarded an average $1 billion a year in grants to states and territories for taking steps to mitigate the effects of disasters.

http://insideclimatenews.org/news/18032015/fema-states-no-climate-planning-no-money

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
SoundCloud Mashup of the Day, Imagine Ted Cruz.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

FEMA has come out and said it will not provide emergency funding to Governors who promote climate change denial:

http://insideclimatenews.org/news/18032015/fema-states-no-climate-planning-no-money

Obama used his dark magics to summon a hurricane!!!!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts/14-144_5i36.pdf

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's kind of lovely. Don't punish the people of a state because they have an rear end in a top hat idiot governor.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hot Stuff is taken :eng99:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

That could be pretty big given that all of the gulf coast governors basically do so. But I doubt it will stick. They'll hold their ground, say it's politically motivated (and rightfully so because it kinda is), and in the end get their money when they're wrecked by nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

The only problem here is that I dont think any of the Climate Change Denial GOP set actually care if their state ends up a shambled hellhole or not, denying their state funds doesn't hurt them. Something something declared income, then they acknowledge climate change.

• Locked thread