Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I feel like pretty much the only ridiculously bankable star is Tom Cruise. But that could just be that he's in relatively few films and has his pick of the litter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I'll not have you guys disrespect the venerable Fast and Furious franchise

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

I feel like pretty much the only ridiculously bankable star is Tom Cruise. But that could just be that he's in relatively few films and has his pick of the litter.
assuming you're talking domestically and not worldwide, no he can't open a movie by himself any more than anyone else can and his stock is considerably lower than it was 10 years ago to say nothing of 20

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Cruise has been in a string of disappointments since the last Mission Impossible movie. Nothing that outright bombed like Hercules though.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

and those are disappointments with very low degrees of difficulty. sci-fi action blockbusters

edge of tomorrow and oblivion were good

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

MassRafTer posted:

Cruise has been in a string of disappointments since the last Mission Impossible movie. Nothing that outright bombed like Hercules though.

wasn't the other Hercules movie the one that bombed? Rocks did pretty well, I thought

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Rock's Hercules did $243M worldwide on a $100M budget.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hercules2014.htm

At worst it would barely break even when you account for marketing money, but that's not an outright failure.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bard Maddox posted:

wasn't the other Hercules movie the one that bombed? Rocks did pretty well, I thought

It didn't come close to making its budget back domestically. It did better overseas but I don't know if it made enough there to break even, I'd suspect not.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Benne posted:

Rock's Hercules did $243M worldwide on a $100M budget.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hercules2014.htm

At worst it would barely break even when you account for marketing money, but that's not an outright failure.

but for it to break even when it's projections were much greater make it an out and out disappointment.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Bard Maddox posted:

the other hercules movie was not even a real movie. Rock's significantly under-performed but they were stupid to give it the budget+marketing that they did since nobody gives a poo poo about Hercules as a property and you knew the movie would be poo poo from the director. Still surely made its money back and then some when you factor in international box office

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Aye but what's he been in that's well liked and grossed well? As far as I can tell he's been in some faster and furiousers and not much else that's had much cultural impact.

Pain & Gain was pretty big in the US, I believe. And GI Joe 2 did better than anyone expected.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

That was more a case of a studio expecting too much out of its film. In a season with loving Guardians of the Galaxy coming, they expected Hercules (With Little Action) to stand tall. If they had tempered expectations even a little bit, it would have been considered a success at least worldwide, if still not domestically.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Practically no major films lose money any more :eng101:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

That was more a case of a studio expecting too much out of its film. In a season with loving Guardians of the Galaxy coming, they expected Hercules (With Little Action) to stand tall. If they had tempered expectations even a little bit, it would have been considered a success at least worldwide, if still not domestically.

Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't expected to do nearly as well as it did, by anyone.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Great Muta helped Hercules make money overseas.

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*
Gallows' new redneck impression has been stuck on my head for days, I'm finding myself talking like it sometimes...

HELL no ma'n

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

the answer is adam sandler but this is getting increasingly off topic

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

OctoberCountry posted:

What'd he say?

how he doesn't understand why websites feel the need to use clickbait headlines any more, it's not the late 90s (:confused:), he doesn't need to use sensationalistic headlines for the daily updates because if people are members of the site they're going to read it anyway. i guess he really has no idea how much money he's leaving on the table by not having the observer content presented in a style that isn't just a 20,000 word plain text file every week.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Spermgod posted:

how he doesn't understand why websites feel the need to use clickbait headlines any more, it's not the late 90s (:confused:), he doesn't need to use sensationalistic headlines for the daily updates because if people are members of the site they're going to read it anyway. i guess he really has no idea how much money he's leaving on the table by not having the observer content presented in a style that isn't just a 20,000 word plain text file every week.

I think I'd take a plain text file over clickbait headlines.

"It started as a simple F5, I couldn't believe what happened next..."

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't expected to do nearly as well as it did, by anyone.

yea Guardians was supposed to be a litmus test for the Marvel Studios baseline for non-major properties and well.....

I think Rock is a bigger movie star than he's getting credit for here though. That Hercules movie was poo poo and would have done nothing no matter who starred in it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
8 crazy ways to boost wrestling's popularity. Vince hates it!!!

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
"California man receives the RAW rating... you won't believe what happens next"

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Muddy Burphy posted:

"California man receives the RAW rating... you won't believe what happens next"

One trick this man used to get out of his WWE contract. WWE hates him!

spoilers: its MRSA

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Observer version of clickbait headlines are always great.

"World champion injured on house show"

a tag team champion pulled a muscle.

Granted it'd be better if it were "World champion injured on house show and you wouldn't believe what happened next!"

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

"Local Goat Man discovers this one weird trick to getting over."

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Burt Buckle posted:

I think I'd take a plain text file over clickbait headlines.

"It started as a simple F5, I couldn't believe what happened next..."

i don't think anyone wants the wrestling equivalent of buzzfeed but something like voices of wrestling or cagesideseat's layout with clearly delineated articles about different topics would be nice.

if you look at how many ostensibly successful sites there are that pretty much just report news from the observer in a more digestible format, you have to conclude they could be a ton bigger than they are if they'd modernise some. i don't really mind the weekly text dump myself though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Spermgod posted:

i don't think anyone wants the wrestling equivalent of buzzfeed but something like voices of wrestling or cagesideseat's layout with clearly delineated articles about different topics would be nice.

if you look at how many ostensibly successful sites there are that pretty much just report news from the observer in a more digestible format, you have to conclude they could be a ton bigger than they are if they'd modernise some. i don't really mind the weekly text dump myself though.

I totally get what you're saying, but WO/F4W is kind of like Nintendo in that they will always be behind the curve in tech/online. You can hope and dream of them doing things differently but it's just not going to happen.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

Well part of the reason that format works is they are reposting paid content for free.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

The greatest moments in Bryan Alvarez's life:

1. Getting his black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
2. Putting Wang in a legit figure four leg lock while sparring

A few years apart I've once each managed to get both a boston crab and a sharpshooter while rolling and I'm still extremely proud of those occasions

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I really want to see the Venn Diagram between "people who listen to Wrestling Observer Live" and "people who use a catheter" because goddamn that ad is loving everywhere

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i just wish all that poo poo wasnt before the daily updates.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Aesop Poprock posted:

A few years apart I've once each managed to get both a boston crab and a sharpshooter while rolling and I'm still extremely proud of those occasions

He said his next goal is to reverse something into a Scorpion Death Lock while sparring with Wang.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

He said his next goal is to reverse something into a Scorpion Death Lock while sparring with Wang.

The sharpshooter was horrible and probably made the Rock's look awesome and I could only hold it for a few seconds but it still counts

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

yea ok posted:

i just wish all that poo poo wasnt before the daily updates.

They tried for a while where it wouldn't show the sales stuff if you were logged in, what happened to that?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

laziness

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Benne posted:

I really want to see the Venn Diagram between "people who listen to Wrestling Observer Live" and "people who use a catheter" because goddamn that ad is loving everywhere

Sports radio caters to an old audience.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

"When Tony Schiavone said that and Eric Bischoff told him to say that, I poo poo my pants and told everyone within earshot, the Titanic has just hit the iceberg, we're going down." :wcw:

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Spermgod posted:

He knows that the current f4w/WON audience are completely content to read a plaintext file, he has no real reason to change it. His main audience is the hardcore, and the hardcore will take the best no matter what format it is in.

Or, that is just how I see it, at least.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Doublepost I know, but for anyone interested...

JR is on the latest Powerbombcast over on giantbomb (http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/powerbombcast-extra-jim-ross-on-wrestling-bay-area/1600-1167/) so if you wanted to listen to the most jaded prowrestling podcast on the planet, here you go. I think it is a free episode too. It is more JR being interviewed for a change, so it might be different to JRs own podcast where he is the one in charge and goes off on rants to his guest.

e; yup, so far this seems waaay more directed and with better questions than an average JR podcast, Dan Ryckert immediately gets in with a good question about how first it was every dude writing books in wrestling, then it was podcasts, and now it is live tours

Another Person fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I suppose I will listen to that one. I actually subscribed to giant bomb for the powerbombcast, but they are so infrequent and Jeff is so loving negative on twitter about it, i haven't even listened to one.

• Locked thread