Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Pick me for balance decider, glorious line of US light cruisers awaits. Who else wants a Worcester (like the Des Moines of light cruisers basically)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Sixth Sense is pretty much a must on frigates past tier 6.

And you really have to have patience. I basically sat behind an inlet for like 30 seconds while a BS was approaching. I knew for sure he didn't see me since I have the detection perk. As soon as he steamed by....8 torps all hit his side.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

SuperSix posted:

Sixth Sense is pretty much a must on frigates past tier 6.

And you really have to have patience. I basically sat behind an inlet for like 30 seconds while a BS was approaching. I knew for sure he didn't see me since I have the detection perk. As soon as he steamed by....8 torps all hit his side.

Sixth Sense is bad. Even if you aren't detected, your torps can be.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Sixth Sense is bad. Even if you aren't detected, your torps can be.

Doesn't really make a difference when my torps are 4.5k

The point is that it gets you within range / behind them before you get spotted. Most of the time the battleships dueling scoped in won't notice the torps until its way way too late.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

TheFluff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9LNYTAqPzM

Does this convince you, Dalael? I have several more examples from that same game if you want more demonstration.

(got six kills in that game, the cleveland loving owns)

Also I can confirm that if you unlock the target following cam you can indeed lead in range and that will work. It's much more annoying to play that way though because you have to manually track the targets instead of keeping your aim exactly the same between shots.

I think this is the problem. I never track my targets (except for torpedoes) so I have been forced to lead in all directions. Its why i didn't quite believe it at first, but those video's you linked clearly demonstrate what you had been explaining. Its nice to know that I can now press X for auto-win.
Sorry about doubting you ;)

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

PirateBob posted:

Same. Now I have both an NA account and an EU account for the CBT. :cool:

Will have to see how much difference 200 ms vs 50 ms ping makes before I decide whether to start over without my precious Fuso and Cleveland ships on the EU server. :shobon:

It makes a lot of difference. I play at work using my cell phone for internet connection which gives me a ping of almost 180ms compared to approximately 35 at home. I am much more terrible when playing at work.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

So when do they open this shindig up for people who get rilly mad when they lose?
Ie could open beta be closeish?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Dalael posted:

It makes a lot of difference. I play at work using my cell phone for internet connection which gives me a ping of almost 180ms compared to approximately 35 at home. I am much more terrible when playing at work.

Welp, that explains why I suck with my 180 ping.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Not sure I can agree that high ping is an excuse for sucking. v:shobon:v
I've been doing very well with 200-220 ping.
The game is much smoother and more comfortable to play at 50 ms, but other than that it doesn't make much of a difference in a game as slow as this.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

PirateBob posted:

Not sure I can agree that high ping is an excuse for sucking. v:shobon:v
I've been doing very well with 200-220 ping.
The game is much smoother and more comfortable to play at 50 ms, but other than that it doesn't make much of a difference in a game as slow as this.

Given the flight time of the shells a ping time of 150-200ms isn't a big deal. I did, however, notice intermittent packet loss this weekend which manifested itself as ships 'jumping' kind of like how tanks used to way back in beta for World of Tanks. It made trying to aim the Kongo's guns extra fun.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
What do you guys think is the sexiest looking ship line

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

SuperSix posted:

the one with the boobs and skirt and the eyepatch

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

What do you press to watch your shells fly into a target like that?? [Around the 9.37 mark]

Burt fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 24, 2015

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Burt posted:

What do you press to watch your shells fly into a target like that??

Z

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I have mine bound to middle mouse. From Settings > Controls > Keyboard Controls > Weapons - Track Shell/Torpedo After Firing

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

SuperSix posted:

US cruisers. It's got glorious 40k Orks and Imperium collaborative ship design cruisers, and the Cleveland, Baltimore and Des Moines are what WWII ships should look like. The Senjo's real nice looking, and some of the later Japanese cruisers have a real nice low, sleek look to them, but overall US cruisers.

US battleships will be nice too.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Man the difference between tier 5 and tier 6+ AA is insane. I went for a torp run on a BB with one cruiser protecting it. I think one of the twelve torp planes made it out alive.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Are citadel hits not actually a thing with the tier 1 practice botes? Likewise, what should I actually aim for with the <3km range tier 1 knife fights? Hull or superstructure?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
People are mad about keys on the official forum. :v:

quote:

Firstly all of you defending WG for their cheap and DIRTY marketing tactics need to sit down, drink some milk think of the story of life and just think for one second. WG is dropped dead rich, when you say they only are giving keys away to people at random/and to those who are streaming for marketing purposes, we'll you just contradicted yourself for giving those streamers preference is like they are the teachers pet.

Why is giving keys away at random a bad joke? because my friends many and I mean many people do not have good computers, some of the people that did get the keys will be under 30fps or worse they are unable to play the game.

If the gray haired person in charge of the World of Warships marketing department took his/her thumb out of their $$$ they would have ASK EVERYONE TO UPLOAD THEIR DXDIAG!!!!!!!!!!

A good beta test is not on how much money you HAVE spent on other WG games but a large variety different hardware from low end pc's to high end BUT WAIT! "You just say people weren't getting good fps CONTRADICTION!". Yes but the RANDOMNESS does not help in the case of WG never asked about your pc so how would they know if you are bugging out or just can afford a pc at this time to play such games. Players that have play other WG titles like I DO feel left out for sure but beta's need fresh input from people that have never played WoT or WoWP but at the same time WG need to remember they have a very big support behind them from those that came before, that have spent money on their titles which means they can pay their employees and they can buy food for the table at home and so the cycle of nerds and games continues. With the Marketing Tactics they have used here they have ALIENATED their long time supporters, making them feel "Left out in the cold" and unwanted. WG made a very poor call for the tactics they used and time WILL show in the money they get from those that bother to stick around for the final release.

Beta's need

Variety in Computer hardware

Variety in Players New and Old

Players that aren't just in it to play but to report back on bugs and issues that need to be adressed

Gaming Companies needs to know what their Beta works are gaming on and not just blind disregard to who they let in

P.S. How many do you think of all that got those keys to give out to their followers on youtube and such give the keys to their friends and clan mates first?!!!! real smart thinking WG (clap clap clap)

Drink some milk and think of the story of life, guys.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

Are citadel hits not actually a thing with the tier 1 practice botes? Likewise, what should I actually aim for with the <3km range tier 1 knife fights? Hull or superstructure?

At longer ranges or shorter ones, I've had a lot of success shooting Erie and Katori with AP. In my experience the mid, 6-5 range is prone to not getting me many effective hits. That, and shooting a Chikuma with an AP Katori seems to fail 90% of the volleys for some reason, but HE almost always works better, even though that ship has more "survivability" than the Katori.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

the one with the boobs and skirt and the eyepatch

Personally I prefer the one that looks like Taylor Swift wearing a cute blue beret, but each to their own!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Arishtat posted:

Given the flight time of the shells a ping time of 150-200ms isn't a big deal. I did, however, notice intermittent packet loss this weekend which manifested itself as ships 'jumping' kind of like how tanks used to way back in beta for World of Tanks. It made trying to aim the Kongo's guns extra fun.

That jumping is exactly what I was talking about. I thought that was due to the ping I had at work. It made it really difficult to hit at long range.
s.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

SuperSix posted:

Doesn't really make a difference when my torps are 4.5k

The point is that it gets you within range / behind them before you get spotted. Most of the time the battleships dueling scoped in won't notice the torps until its way way too late.

If they don't notice the torps, why would they notice you?

Also, sixth sense isn't preventing you from getting spotted, it's just telling when you do. It doesn't make a difference because it's super obvious when you're spotted in this game. Take the smoke screen skill instead, it'll actually hide you.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

PirateBob posted:

People are mad about keys on the official forum. :v:

Drink some milk and think of the story of life, guys.

They promised people at PAX beta keys the day the beta launched. They still havent sent them :smith:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I was promised immeasurable wealth and glory by my teachers in grade school.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If they don't notice the torps, why would they notice you?

Also, sixth sense isn't preventing you from getting spotted, it's just telling when you do. It doesn't make a difference because it's super obvious when you're spotted in this game. Take the smoke screen skill instead, it'll actually hide you.

The only other sure indicator is when they start shooting you and you can't afford that. Plus the skill tells you when you're aren't spotted anymore, very useful when you're choosing when to engage or not to engage, especially with how fast you move.

I'm at Tier 6 with both IJN and USN destroyers. I do markedly better with the latter even though it has a way shorter range, simply because I know exactly when enemies see me and when I've disappeared since I have the perk.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

demonR6 posted:

My teachers just promised me I was never going to become anything and instead slowly waste my life away posting on online forums, but I sure showed them.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Just got my rear end handed to me in my first pee-cola match..... by a Cleveland. The pee-cola isn't bad, even stock, but don't let a Cleveland close range. Second match wasn't so bad. The ROF on the eight inchers isn't terrible and they do have range. When they hit a cruiser like an Aorta or Mogami, they can put out the hurt. Second game, still stock, wasn't bad. Got one 26000 HP citadel salvo on an Aorta. I kind of like the ship.

demonR6 posted:

My teachers got angry at me for drawing ships all throughout grade school and high school. In college, I took a naval architecture course, but it involved math. :smith:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

Just got my rear end handed to me in my first pee-cola match..... by a Cleveland. The pee-cola isn't bad, even stock, but don't let a Cleveland close range. Second match wasn't so bad. The ROF on the eight inchers isn't terrible and they do have range. When they hit a cruiser like an Aorta or Mogami, they can put out the hurt. Second game, still stock, wasn't bad. Got one 26000 HP citadel salvo on an Aorta. I kind of like the ship.

Yeah, it's not going to win a DPM race against a light cruiser but it's got good guns for laying down hurt at longer range. Also you can point your hull directly at the enemy to shield your vitals with your nose and then turn to expose your turrets when it's firing time, which is nice.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I hope they do something with Carriers; I kind of enjoy playing them when things go right but getting 3 or 4 sorties per game at best is pretty dreadful. Literally posting right now while waiting for all my planes to fly back to me.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, it's not going to win a DPM race against a light cruiser but it's got good guns for laying down hurt at longer range. Also you can point your hull directly at the enemy to shield your vitals with your nose and then turn to expose your turrets when it's firing time, which is nice.

I do agree but I kinda think the 8" guns should have a bit more DPM parity to the 6" guns, mostly to help the hapless Aoba and the heavy cruisers because the Cleveland is really really good.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Pubbies get really mad when you ask why they didn't call the game "World of Boats"

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I'd be willing to compromise for World of Warboats.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
World of Tanks: Ocean Edition

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

World of Tanks: Amphibious Assault.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
World of Tanks: Pearl Harbor

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Does the server regularly go down at midnight? Just got kicked out of the game the second a match ended and it's now unavailable.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I dunked a St Louis in my Myogi with a 17k citadel hit, which makes it the first game in my Myogi where my main guns did more then the secondaries.
Then a Fuso hit me with a full broadside while I was shooting another St Louis and returned the favor.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The Japanese destroyer line isn't all bad. Tier 6 and up aren't worth playing in their current state, but what this really means is that the best torpedo boat in the game is only at tier 5.
If you like shooting torpedoes and making things blow up, get a Minekaze. The ships before it are all playable.

Do not under any circumstances upgrade the torpedoes.
The upgraded torpedoes trade 11 knots of speed for 3 kilometers of range, but what the game doesn't tell you is that the detection range triples. Between that and the lower speed, enemy ships have almost four times as much time to dodge your torpedoes, and you don't even gain damage.

A full salvo of Minekaze torpedoes is almost as strong as a full salvo from the tier 7 destroyer. But there's much less time to dodge the Minekaze torpedoes, and you're firing them at lower tier ships. And the Minekaze is faster, more maneuverable and harder to spot. It also reloads more than twice as fast, because the Minekaze has three dual launchers instead of two triple launchers.
That's right, the Minekaze is straight up a better ship than the tier 7 on the same line.

There's only a kilometer between your torpedo and detection ranges, but fortunately you're in a Minekaze. You go 39 knots at tier 5, with one of the smallest turning circles in the game and a rudder that shifts instantly. Also your guns are only good for getting you spotted.

Basically get a Minekaze if you like fun, it is the best Japanese destroyer in the game. It's like playing a destroyer in the beta weekend. :japan:

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Apparently I'm way better at this then tanks. Got beta today. Is there no way to get plasters/premium?

Do people just not know how to land shells? It seems like if I move fast enough nobody can do anything in lower tiers.

Krataar fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Insert name here posted:

I hope they do something with Carriers; I kind of enjoy playing them when things go right but getting 3 or 4 sorties per game at best is pretty dreadful. Literally posting right now while waiting for all my planes to fly back to me.

At higher (6+) tiers it feels like they could add more planes per squadron, because AA gets really serious up there - guaranteed to lose attacking planes in pretty much any run makes the few attacks you do get markedly less effective (if they don't get panicked on top). Just losing one or two torpedo planes makes it *much* easier to dodge the following torpedo spread (and all ships at tier 6 and up are also fast and agile compared to earlier ships).

But that doesn't solve the "3-4 sorties per game" issue. Faster turn-around time? Higher speed on the planes?