Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fooley posted:

http://www.toei.co.jp/release/tv/1205315_963.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwGB-e3slqE

It begins :getin:.

Anyone else think its seriously leaning towards Gou becoming the new Chase? Especially after his belt getting destroyed.

Possibly. Remember when he was first introduced they said the belt was still fine tuning itself. It seems more likely that he just can't keep up with it, which is why he wants to beat everything quickly, because he doesn't have time to waste. Really interested in seeing how it gets fixed if it eer does and how Gou's handling it (As these last few episode have shown he's not doing well so far)but now we gotta put the breaks on all that because some lovely crossover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Possibly. Remember when he was first introduced they said the belt was still fine tuning itself. It seems more likely that he just can't keep up with it, which is why he wants to beat everything quickly, because he doesn't have time to waste. Really interested in seeing how it gets fixed if it eer does and how Gou's handling it (As these last few episode have shown he's not doing well so far)but now we gotta put the breaks on all that because some lovely crossover.

Where'd you get your advance copy of next week's special?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
didn't he like fall straight asleep after one transformation? I thought that was like, he can't maintain the transformation forever and if he goes too long he gets exhausted. I dunno.

Something that watching the previews for the movie reminded me of asking;

Do Kamen Riders 1 and 2 still have their actual actors, or are they just the suit guys now? Like that show is 20-30 years old, right? So the actors must be ancient. And why are movies always about Shocker and Kamen Riders 1 and 2? Is it just the nostalgia factor or something? I admit not having this because I never saw the first series, so if it's just that they are super beloved Icons and I'd get if it I watched the show I can understand that.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Stallion Cabana posted:

didn't he like fall straight asleep after one transformation? I thought that was like, he can't maintain the transformation forever and if he goes too long he gets exhausted. I dunno.

Do Kamen Riders 1 and 2 still have their actual actors, or are they just the suit guys now? Like that show is 20-30 years old, right? So the actors must be ancient. And why are movies always about Shocker and Kamen Riders 1 and 2? Is it just the nostalgia factor or something? I admit not having this because I never saw the first series, so if it's just that they are super beloved Icons and I'd get if it I watched the show I can understand that.

Hiroshi Fujioka is absolutely still alive, and continues to reprise his role.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

jivjov posted:

Where'd you get your advance copy of next week's special?

Well I watched all the previous crossovers and went with basic probability.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

I kinda liked the Decade/Shinkenger one :shobon:

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
In faireness to the DecadeShinkenger one at least it didnt't bring either show to a grinding halt as far as plot advancement went.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Wasnt Takeshi Sasaki (Rider 2/Hayato Ichimonji) really badly injured after being in a fire? Or am I thinking of another Rider actor?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

I kinda liked the Decade/Shinkenger one :shobon:

That one was ok. Most of the crossovers in the movies have been really terrible and that Gaim crossover was just so hilariously tone deaf that it became the best/worst. Odds are that this Cop Drama themed show that's getting into its rhythm for its narrative beats isn't going to mesh well with a sentai that's just 5 episodes in and features a cast of largely unexplored characters.

Can't wait for Shinnosuke to try and solve a mystery while Red says "This is so hot!" while Gou gets annoyed by literally the rest of the cast because you can't let them do anything individually. Hey we'll get to see Mr. Heart deal with all those Nininger villains. You know...that one guy. And Hammer fox.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 23, 2015

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Rei_ posted:

Wasnt Takeshi Sasaki (Rider 2/Hayato Ichimonji) really badly injured after being in a fire? Or am I thinking of another Rider actor?

You got the right one. He still voices 2 on occasion, though.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

That's upsetting

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Its quicker and more honest to just say "I'm talking out of my rear end"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stallion Cabana posted:

Nearing 50 years, actually- 1971 is when the original was made. It helped to kickstart modern Tokusatsu as we know it, is pretty much the foundation of everything that's around today, along with Ultraman.

Sadly a few actors have passed on, but the original two are still alive and well.

The ones that come to mind right now are Riderman, Stronger and Tackle's actors having passed

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

jivjov posted:

Its quicker and more honest to just say "I'm talking out of my rear end"

Talking out my rear end that the previous crossovers weren't great? Do you not know what that phrase means?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Talking out my rear end that the previous crossovers weren't great? Do you not know what that phrase means?

That you know for an incontrovertible fact that the upcoming special is lovely.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

That one was ok. Most of the crossovers in the movies have been really terrible and that Gaim crossover was just so hilariously tone deaf that it became the best/worst. Odds are that this Cop Drama themed show that's getting into its rhythm for its narrative beats isn't going to mesh well with a sentai that's just 5 episodes in and features a cast of largely unexplored characters.

Can't wait for Shinnosuke to try and solve a mystery while Red says "This is so hot!" while Gou gets annoyed by literally the rest of the cast because you can't let them do anything individually. Hey we'll get to see Mr. Heart deal with all those Nininger villains. You know...that one guy. And Hammer fox.

Lets not forget it'll also be an hour long special that ends with watch the movie, as it'll be filled with plot points for it but naturally it won't be resolved here.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

jivjov posted:

That you know for an incontrovertible fact that the upcoming special is lovely.

You're really dumb. Like It's going to be a middling to okay special that probably progresses nothing for either show and ends with "BUY OUR MOVIE". You can see them talk about Rider Number 3 in the preview. Like if you read the other posts I made and the other posters in this thread it's not just me. But because you're technically correct I'll revise my first statement

"They're grinding the plot to a halt for a crossover that, given the preview previous crossovers and the quality/tone of Ninninger so far looks like it will be pretty lovely."

Feel better?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

"quality/tone of Ninninger so far

I'm still way too pumped about the robot that is piloted by a smaller robot to stay mad at Takaharu's bad actor :colbert:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Stallion Cabana posted:

EDIT: My major problem with Ninninger is that even more then ToQger or whatever, everything seems to come back to Takaharu, even in episodes not about him. I feel like it wasn't this bad with Right in ToQger, but even in this week's Ninnenger the ultimate lesson seemed to be 'Be more like Takaharu, don't give up on your dreams.'

Thank you, I was going to point out the exact same thing and now I don't need to write it. If I didn't know better, I'd think this was another Takaharu episode instead of a Kasumi one. It's Takaharu that actually finds the way to stop the monster's gimmick (shooting the balloons, even if Kasumi does it better after him), it's Takaharu that gets the new mecha (despite Kasumi being far more fitting for it considering her backstory and motivations shown by this very episode), and in the end the lesson is, as you said, "be like Takaharu".

I really hope this gets fixed soon. It annoyed me in Kyoryuger, but Daigo was cool so I could take it. It annoyed me less in ToQger, where Right shared a lot of spotlight with the good characters (the villains and the reformed villain, that is). Here, I loving hate Takaharu, so if this gets even worse (and I fully predict it will) then I might just drop it, which would be sad because otherwise this is actually fun!

Also I seriously don't feel pumped up for the crossover because it's interrupting something I actually care about (Go's anger-driven development and Chase's return). Hopefully it will be okay instead of as bad as the Gaim/TQG crossover.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also I seriously don't feel pumped up for the crossover because it's interrupting something I actually care about (Go's anger-driven development and Chase's return). Hopefully it will be okay instead of as bad as the Gaim/TQG crossover.

Well Trideron pilots Shurikenjin so I think it will firmly be okay.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Both the show and the rest of the ToQgers happily took the piss out of Right a bunch of times, I can't really think of a time where he stole someone's episode or anything.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Justin_Brett posted:

Both the show and the rest of the ToQgers happily took the piss out of Right a bunch of times, I can't really think of a time where he stole someone's episode or anything.

Remember that time that Hikari beat Right in a Karate Contest

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Kasumi not getting to sit in the chair was some straight-up bullshit. And Takaharu is no Daigo.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Stallion Cabana posted:

It seems kind of odd to have the Secondary Rider's super form show up this early. Doesn't that usually happen in the 30s?

You're correct it's a little early for the secondary rider's final form, in the last few seasons those showed up around episode 26. However the timing is right, they usually get theirs before the main rider gets his final form. It's possible that Gou might simply be out of commission as Mach for a couple of episodes.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Kasumi not getting to sit in the chair was some straight-up bullshit. And Takaharu is no Daigo.

This very much. Maybe ninninger will get better, and I hope it does, but right now they've been putting Takaharu over more heavily than Daigo and that's quite an impressive achievement. However the real problem with what they're doing is that they're doing it at the expense of the rest of the cast. I could overlook the red favoritism in Kyoryuger because that show had great cast I could get behind and enjoy. Moreover they actually gave a good deal of screen-time to their secondary cast even while they were pushing KyoryuRed so much. They've been running with Takaharu so hard in these first five episodes that they haven't bothered to make the rest of the cast on either side of the fight fun to watch, and that's a mistake in any show.

As for the upcoming crossover ugh. I'm going to second deadly_pudding when they said that Decade/Shinkenger was good, and to me that was because it was a full 2-episode arc of Decade set in the Shinkenger as opposed to a TV Special/commercial for the movie. The timing on the special is especially galling since we're at a really heated point in Drive, which incidentally was one of the annoying things about both of the crossover promotions in Gaim and Gobusters. Do you think they specifically slam a crossover in at the least opportune times?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I'm just going to throw out there that Decade never had much of an arc to interrupt

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rei_ posted:

I'm just going to throw out there that Decade never had much of an arc to interrupt

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Stallion Cabana posted:

Remember that time that Hikari beat Right in a Karate Contest

"I won." :smuggo:

Hikari should have gotten more episodes, he was pretty great. There's always that one Ranger it seems.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:allears: I still love that.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

deadly_pudding posted:

Hiroshi Fujioka is absolutely still alive, and continues to reprise his role.

I'm pretty sure he only recently started doing it again, I'm almost positive when Ichigo showed up in a few other crossover movies it was just the suit actor and some other voice actor.

At the very least, in the Decade movie and Movie War Mega Max, it was Tetsu Inada voicing Ichigo. I think Fujioka didn't come back until the All Riders movie in OOO, though I could be mistaken.

He did show up as R0 in the Rescue Force movie and again in Rescue Fire though.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Hmm, I actually liked the Gaim/TKQ crossover. However thats probably because I didn't watch Gaim and likewise avoided all of those lovely Decade movies and Super Hero Teisen films after the first terrible one. So for me I didn't have to worry about Gaim's story being interrupted or people acting out of character OR crossovers being boring and overdone. Its a shame the plot didn't make any sense though since it was, apparently, all set up for a movie I didn't watch.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The Gaim crossovers in general were some of the highlights of the series in a really bizarre and weird way I didnt expect and often gave levity to really dire moments and at least had the courtesy to happen during cliffhangers and not like, in the middle of a loving thing.

They also had the benefit of showing lighter sides to the characters and letting them react in ways that made sense for the characters but weren't what the shows typical circumstances called for, which is what seperates a good crossover from like, bad fanfic.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rei_ posted:

The Gaim crossovers in general were some of the highlights of the series in a really bizarre and weird way I didnt expect and often gave levity to really dire moments and at least had the courtesy to happen during cliffhangers and not like, in the middle of a loving thing.

They also had the benefit of showing lighter sides to the characters and letting them react in ways that made sense for the characters but weren't what the shows typical circumstances called for, which is what seperates a good crossover from like, bad fanfic.

We got to see Takatora never notice a giant train robot wreck poo poo outside his window. And then we got to see Kouta hanging out with his new replacement puppy robot buddy, and Sengoku Ryoma shoved his brain into a bad robot because he could.

The Gaim crossovers were alright in my book.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Ryouma cutting his own brain out and putting it into a robot, Dr. Gero "how did you do that to yourself" style is one of the best god drat moments of the entire series.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
And then the show acts like he has any reasonable right to criticize what DARK is up to after that.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rei_ posted:

Ryouma cutting his own brain out and putting it into a robot, Dr. Gero "how did you do that to yourself" style is one of the best god drat moments of the entire series.

hahaha I forgot about that. Then, afterwards, he's just back to normal like nothing happened.

Second best part of that show was also Ryouma, when he peaced out for a few episodes by escaping from his lab in a tiny rocketship, Dr. Wily style.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ryouma should've been Gaim's final villain; also Gaim should've had a final villain

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Brother Entropy posted:

Ryouma should've been Gaim's final villain; also Gaim should've had a final villain

He shouldn't; it did.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AzraelNewtype posted:

He shouldn't; it did.

It did indeed! Sagara!

Who Kouta accepted and loved dearly.

gently caress you Sagara. gently caress you Kouta.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I liked how Gaim ended up, but I was hoping for a while that Gaim vs Baron wouldn't be the final battle of the series (I mean discounting the epilogue, which incidentally I liked) since it was so obvious. Of course with the way the story was written I think realistically the only way those two weren't going to have a final showdown would be for one of the combatants to have a heroic sacrifice for the other's sake. It certainly wasn't a bad ending, but it was so heavily foreshadowed to such an extent I would have enjoyed being surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

It did indeed! Sagara!

Who Kouta accepted and loved dearly.

gently caress you Sagara. gently caress you Kouta.

Except he found a way to make the inevitable happen without sacrificing people/the world. Sagara didn't care as long as the forest/his species could continue to live, he had no real goal and didn't really care how it happened. Kouta won in the end not because he got the power, but because he saved his home.

Kouta did nothing wrong.

• Locked thread